• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ENDING SPOILERS

So Saya is literally the only OG character that I don't hate, and apparently she dies? Fuck this game.

Well technically
Saya has been dead since Namco X Capcom, the Saya we've met was from Endless Frontier, who is a clone

And that
while Sheath and the horse and bull are dead, they can repeatedly clone Saya

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& it should be mentioned that he (along with the rest of the solo units) can have unique conversations based on who he's paired with.

Putting him with the Yakuza guys has him saying he should just run over the enemies with the forklift, & if you win a battle, he might mention looking for sailors.

Loona

So does that mean you can only call him as an assist or something? Sorry, not sure on the mechanics of the game.

He also has his own skills which can assist the group during the game, as well as some passive skills which are active just from him being on a team, and he can learn more during the game by accumulating points from being in battles - after a party gets big enough, not every team unit gets deployed, as I've just recently realized, so when a new level starts, make sure to use that Customize screen to see if your favorites aren't marked in grey in the Unit Config menu.

I'd been wondering what having a pair unit in erd meant and assumed something like Game Over if they're KOed, but it seems they're just the units you can't remove from the current map.

Speaking of solo unit learnable skills, I wonder if there's a particularly effective way to get CP on a solo unit - I just got the Sakura Taisen gang, so Segata Sanshiro shouldn't take long to appear.

Also, it seems not only does Felicia use moves from her pocket self from gem Fighters Mini-Mix, she actually references her ending from that game: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/c/gemfel.htm
That makes for the 2nd indirect reference to Fei Long I can think of in PXZ games, the first having been a reference by Pai in a prologue chapter of PXZ1, IIRC.
I kinda expected Felicia to interact with Erica, considering the cat suit and nun factors, but I did not expect Felicia to wear her nun outfit in a pre-match cut-in - nice nod to her Vampire Savior ending and MvC2 intro.

And based on recent posts in this thread, it's pretty neat they're referencing both of Namco's Marvel Lands... this game...

Boss Doggie

To this day I don't get why Felicia is angry with Ken. I mean, she was an action movie star!

Ilvocare

Currently on Ch. 16. I can't fucking believe that
the Stehoney Goblins
ended up appearing in the EXACT same chapter number in both games. Also,
their death animations feel like they've been made even more savage. Were the explosions as loud and drastic in PXZ1 as they are here? Bonus points for the Steam Bike nod by Haseo.

Taking my time and still just really enjoying myself with the game, even if it might literally be the easiest SRPG I have ever played.
Although, Black Hayato doing 75% damage with his special attack on KOS-MOS and then immediately following that up with a multi-attack to OTKO her was terrifying, and I have hopes for the future that the bosses in this game will be similarly terrifying as it goes on.
Granted, I probably would have even less trouble if I prioritized solely Atk and Def on equipment over all else... but most pieces of equipment tend to have some specific stat boost or special ability that makes it feel like it's REALLY worth having on that unit for a while. Which I adore, mind: whenever choosing equipment isn't as simple as a linear increase in power, it makes the decision as to what you bring with you feel all the more important.

On that note...
man I don't like Nana so far. She's kinda ruining the whole image of the God Eater Gen 2 all by herself, even if Ciel is cool. I hope she gets better and soon... Also, was there a setup screen I skipped? I expected to have the ability to equip the GEs properly and field my remaining Solo Unit, but... well, it never popped up.

Edit for above spoiler:
Just checked by mashing through the beginning to Ch. 16, and yeah, the GE2 team don't get an opportunity to get geared and paired up like literally every other pair/solo unit in the game so far when they debut. Granted, the opportunity wasn't originally there for the RoF crew, but then your ACTUAL team arrives to give them that chance. This seems like an oversight...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Not to sure about the pacing lately. Dunno how many chapters there are but for the last couple ones I've felt like the more minor "bosses" should've been wiped out an their stuff resolved by now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For some reason, it didn't let me customize Dante & Vergil when I met them as well. Wonder why that was.

About to do Ch. 14. I'm noticing I'm taking things much more slowly now, playing every other day or so, compared to a chapter or two a day. Guessing it's because I know how bad the pacing was in the previous game.

I'm also questioning the point of the challenge map if I haven't gained anymore & the one for pre-ordering the game is insanely easy, maybe aside from grinding for EXP, but it's not very much, especially later on.

I'm not super into min/maxing or tiering units so I can be entirely off base, but being 17 chapters I appreciate that units seem to be a bit more balanced than in the last game (although PW seems insanely good as a support unit.) For PxZ1 in the last 10+ hours when the game ran way too long I just started bum rushing bosses with X/Zero since they destroyed anything that came across their path. Besides the pacing being better there's no immediate unit that comes to mind when I want to breeze through a stage.

Ilvocare

For some reason, it didn't let me customize Dante & Vergil when I met them as well. Wonder why that was.

About to do Ch. 14. I'm noticing I'm taking things much more slowly now, playing every other day or so, compared to a chapter or two a day. Guessing it's because I know how bad the pacing was in the previous game.

I'm also questioning the point of the challenge map if I haven't gained anymore & the one for pre-ordering the game is insanely easy, maybe aside from grinding for EXP, but it's not very much, especially later on.

Far as I can tell, the majority of the pre-order content gets super outclassed by like, post-chapter 5. Same with the demo carryover equipment. I can only assume that challenge maps are unlocked very occasionally throughout the game, or maybe even only at postgame. Finished 16 right now, actually. Would love to keep the 2 chapter a day pace, and I can tell it's not gonna fly for much longer...

soPggA2.jpg

And done. Took me maybe 15 hours less to finish than my first playthrough of the first game.

I forgot how long the last two chapters are. Not because of the enemies that are thrown at you, but because of the objectives it takes to clear the maps, and cutscenes triggering during/after turns.

Loona

Yeah, it's the cutscenes that make the game long this time.

Fine by me, that's where the charm of the game is.

It was a pretty big surprise that PXZ1 had a whole level referecing Sega's Crackdown, but I didn't expect to see Segata carrying and using its explosives in PXZ2.

Also, holy shit at Xiaomu referencing old D&D stats in her match dialog with Ingrid - fitting that the old ladies go pre-video-game old school.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Reiji: "No one's clamoring to see us guys bathing anyway. Or if they are, tough luck."

Reiji plz.

Game beaten! Just alil over 52 hours for me which puts it at 10 hours shorter then my PXZ first time. I didn't come even close ta maxing out anyones moves/skills. Since CP carries over how many replays would it take to max 'em all? I assume NG+ gives ya more CP along with the increased EXP ya?

I got game over on the final chapter cause of dumb cheap flying baddies >_<; but as I soon found out that was only the early portion of it so not to much time was lost! Game was a fun an wild ride with less meandering then the first. The addition of shops, hazards, and powering up really made things feel more fleshed out!

Dunno where they'd go with a third game. Alot of characters are one-game/note wonders like the RoF and ToV crews. Never played those games but what more material could they pull outta 'em without feeling rehashy? Then there was Ryo who really felt outta place, not that I wasn't happy to have him in!

Things I'd want for a third game are finally letting us switch the map characters, letting ya access the options from the title screen, and "skits" like .hack//Link has where ya put certain characters in a room and get a unique an usually silly lil conversation between 'em. More fleshed out than the battle quips, and sorely wanted cause the characters really don't interact or talk about things other than the plot outside of the story.

sorry new to this thread. i got curious about the game and after reading a bit more i think i'm going to take the plunge for the first time. i hope i didn't miss much not playing the first one.

Ilvocare

Just beat 18, starting 19. Xioumu making the absolute SUBTLEST reference to PXZ1 make me smile. Way more than I expected to.

She says "We're wanderers with wings, after all." Th official opening song to PXZ1 (that didn't make it to the localized versions of the game, mind) is called WING WANDERER. In addition, the first prologue and the final chapter titles of the 1st game were "The Wanderers" and "The Wing Wanderers", respectively. To think that such an abstract theme would be recurring, albeit very faintly...

Boss Doggie

sorry new to this thread. i got curious about the game and after reading a bit more i think i'm going to take the plunge for the first time. i hope i didn't miss much not playing the first one.

You're not really missing much. Just take note of which characters were in the first game.

Loona

You're not really missing much. Just take note of which characters were in the first game.

Knowing who was in Namco X Capcom also helps, but it's not essential - those presences and some events gets nods, like Natsu from Soul Calibur being aware that Taki went through something similar.

I just realized that the fact that Segata Sanshiro carries around explosives from Crackdown can retroactively explain the explosive throw from his Bomberman commercial, thus preserving its Sega purity.

As for the comment above about characters returning in a future game that might feel rehashy, I don't know enough about the likes of RoF and ToV to know if there's something interesting there yet to be tapped into, but the God Eater 2 girls are kind of overstaying their welcome already for me, unless there are still some interesting moments ahead with them.

For all I know, based on PXZ games God Eater is trying to be Monster Hunter but with more anime cliches, which wouldn't be a problem if they had more and more interesting ones to use. I mean, Vashyron has his special dance portrait that gets very little but well-placed use, and same for Felicia's nun outfit or Erica's cat suit, but half to most of Nana's consists of the damn Oden sandwich - to me that was fun the one time Xiaomu mentioned Jill, yet it kept pressing the issue...
Maybe Namco is trying to push God Eater through the PXZ games, what with the anime based on it and whatever other efforts?...
I can't tell if the devs just love it less or if there's less to love about it...
At least Lindlow was quietly amusing in PXZ1...

kagamin

Honestly the playstyle in God Eater is really an entirely different flavor than Monster Hunter and one of the factors is that you have much faster movement speed, so dodging and the like is more reactive than predictive, but I digress I don't want to derail the thread. :p

Whew, finally reached the end. Clocked in at about 49 and a half hours, which is shorter than my time with PxZ1 but not as short as I was expected. For as much as this one is easier, the ironic part is that I ended up getting more game overs at irregular points throughout the campaign.

That last mission was the biggest slog of them all, but actually highlights probably another flaw with this game in lieu of them fixing the original issue of enemies being enormous damage sponges: Some map objectives want you to go about traversing the map in such a specific manner and managing your troops placement and roles in offense and defense that sometimes the game just likes to indulge in those things too much for its own good. Certainly the lesser of two evils, but still fairly annoying when the final chapter is pretty much only giving me incentive to send out only a handful of my most powerful units to progress the game.

At least I was able to
end Byaku-Shin in one shot while setting it up so it would have its back turned. Hiryu/Hostuma drew its attention, and then I had Dante/Vergil get into range from behind, all while buffing the hell out of them with Chrom/Lucina's skill that increases HP/SP by 50% and all other stats by 10%. Throw in Axel Stone's skill that costs 150 SP (that I cast twice), the team was more powerful than need be and the set up could not have felt better. At least that mission ended on a personal high note for me. Jackpot, motherfucker.

I've seen a couple of people in here already talk about what they'd want out of another followup if there was one and I've gotten into that train of thought myself just finishing. Honestly, aside from wanting the devs to continue streamlining these games' length, I'm starting to feel that maybe I've seen as much as I want to out of the whole "units are a team of two people" concept. I still like the combat system functionally speaking, but just thinking back on the SRW games and their implementation of certain series' concepts into mechanics for individual units/pilots, I almost wish these games would follow that route much more closely. There's something that is kind of lost when you have a predetermined pair unit whose character's moves are baked into the same combinations, especially when some of those teams are made up of different series. Though I imagine compared to series specific systems in SRW, trying to replicate the various amount of mechanics from these game series into this format would be asking a bit much for the developers and budget.

But, at the end of the day I guess what I'd like to see most is just more flexibility in how you can set up combos with having control over every individual character and not just teams + one solo.

LuuKyK

So based on what I am hearing they fixed the overly long battles with too many enemies and in its place they added overly long cutscenes? Is that the consensus? Its not perfect but that would be better than what we got in the first game.

Boss Doggie

So based on what I am hearing they fixed the overly long battles with too many enemies and in its place they added overly long cutscenes? Is that the consensus? Its not perfect but that would be better than what we got in the first game.

The cutscenes themselves you can skip if you want to yeah.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished Ch. 17 yesterday. I wasn't really fond of
those gold goblin things from .hack
returning, but at least the game set it up so it wasn't as annoying as it would've been.

So do I get the ability to do more than 3 attacks per turn? I'm starting to earn my 4th attack for units, but I still can only do 3 at a time.

STHX

So do I get the ability to do more than 3 attacks per turn? I'm starting to earn my 4th attack for units, but I still can only do 3 at a time.

You will never increase the maximum amount of attacks, it will be 3 for the entire game (this was most likely done to make battles quicker, and to force the player to use the charge bonus). However, you can attack a 4th time if you mirage cancel one of the other 3 attacks. You can only use mirage cancel once in an attack during the first playthrough, so you can get at most 4 attacks.

Loona

I've seen a couple of people in here already talk about what they'd want out of another followup if there was one and I've gotten into that train of thought myself just finishing. Honestly, aside from wanting the devs to continue streamlining these games' length, I'm starting to feel that maybe I've seen as much as I want to out of the whole "units are a team of two people" concept. I still like the combat system functionally speaking, but just thinking back on the SRW games and their implementation of certain series' concepts into mechanics for individual units/pilots, I almost wish these games would follow that route much more closely. There's something that is kind of lost when you have a predetermined pair unit whose character's moves are baked into the same combinations, especially when some of those teams are made up of different series. Though I imagine compared to series specific systems in SRW, trying to replicate the various amount of mechanics from these game series into this format would be asking a bit much for the developers and budget.

But, at the end of the day I guess what I'd like to see most is just more flexibility in how you can set up combos with having control over every individual character and not just teams + one solo.

It's already prety easy to tell in a pair unit's skill sets which skill is supposed to belong to each character, the attacks themselves tend to have 2 names anyways, and it can get a bit frustrating to see the CPU use solo units like actual solo units (Heihachi's multi-target super early in the game, Majima's solo attack early on too, robot Axel's supers...) while players can't...

Changing this would involve some major system changes though, like some pair affinity stat that would allow specific units to pair up for the kind of attacks we have now for a while - Maybe it could be balanced by damage taken by paired units in different squares sharing the damage taken by one or something (and Ichiro would have some skill that would make it easier to pair up with female characters, since that Sakura Wars mechanic gets played with a lot anyway).

L.O.R.D

I am keep hearing that track from SRW OG endless frontier most of the time
Man, i miss haken and kaguya &#128557;

(Ch. 39)
"finally aya-me can be at peace"
man it was pretty weird when tong pooh and bison died in big fiery explosions, after that play on emotions there's no way they'll do it this time
aya-me begins ascending and then explodes in midair
they should reaaaally consider looking into different death animations

also having to restart a chapter when you're at the end of it and one of the fail-state characters gets one-shotted is pretty unfortunate lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That last mission was the biggest slog of them all, but actually highlights probably another flaw with this game in lieu of them fixing the original issue of enemies being enormous damage sponges
Compared to the first game baddies weren't damage sponges at all in PXZ2 imo. Nearly every boss-type could be knocked out by 2 pairs. Sometimes 1 if they got a back attack + boosts. I was surprised with how quickly bosses went down this time around an regular baddies are all pretty frail themselves. Ya got the potential to do so much more damage in this game its not even funny!

Cross breaking sure deals massive damage.
Whats cross break? Saw alot of skills that mentioned it but never found out what it was or how to do it.

Compared to the first game baddies weren't damage sponges at all in PXZ2 imo. Nearly every boss-type could be knocked out by 2 pairs. Sometimes 1 if they got a back attack + boosts. I was surprised with how quickly bosses went down this time around an regular baddies are all pretty frail themselves. Ya got the potential to do so much more damage in this game its not even funny!
Oh, I know. Maybe my phrasing was a bit off, but what I was getting at was that despite that problem from the first game not being existent anymore in PxZ2, the new problem that came up was with certain chapters having their maps and hazards/objectives force you to take a path that is longer and more boring than it should be. Which is why the final chapter feels so dull for most of it because of what you have to go through before actually facing the final boss directly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"DANCE Energy. Pants Energy's what Vashyron's got"

Got a good laugh out of that. Vashyron continues to be funny when paired up with certain units like Valkyrie or June.

Also starting to realize why they showed off certain units during the tutorial chapters,
because it takes a long time for them to reappear. FINALLY got the Sakura Wars characters again during Ch. 18.

Edit: Double whammy of references, "kept between the Sphere of Odin & the Princess' Crown". You never cease to amaze me, Namco.

Edit 2: Wow, how did I just NOW notice the fact you have to select your team now & can only take 10 units at a time in.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh, I know. Maybe my phrasing was a bit off, but what I was getting at was that despite that problem from the first game not being existent anymore in PxZ2, the new problem that came up was with certain chapters having their maps and hazards/objectives force you to take a path that is longer and more boring than it should be. Which is why the final chapter feels so dull for most of it because of what you have to go through before actually facing the final boss directly.
Ohh I get ya now! I thought hazards added a neat new wrinkle to the stages but some objectives weren't the greatest. I think at least this time around they didn't have as many overly large or narrow stages ta get around in. Some of the later ones in PXZ, especially the outer wall stair climbing experiece were real painful!

when you shatter your cross mode
Is that another name for Cross Hit? I dunno, I'm dumb an went the whole game without using the cancels so I wouldn't be surprised that I missed out on another useful new mechanic x.x

Edit 2: Wow, how did I just NOW notice the fact you have to select your team now & can only take 10 units at a time in.
Happened to me to! Its not strictly 10 per stage, it varies but ya. Now every time you enter a stage an its asks if ya wanna go over your units you totally will want to!

Ilvocare

Happened to me to! Its not strictly 10 per stage, it varies but ya. Now every time you enter a stage an its asks if ya wanna go over your units you totally will want to!

Funny how everyone seems to not realize that, I kind of knew that going in by virtue of the pre-battle customize screen even existing in the first place...

I actually don't have a specific crew of characters I prefer to play with: the enemy levels are so low that it's totally possible to train up everyone, and honestly you'll probably rake in more CP in general from that due to the scaling of EXP. Which jives with my necessity in RPGs to keep all the members up-to-date in experience use.

In other news, Chapter 21.

Holy shit that title reveal. The titles for chapters in general have been making me almost universally squee or smile. It's kinda nice.

Thing is, I knew about the "customize units" selection pre battle, but I could never figure out how to actually get the units I wanted to use in the main selection so I just went with whatever the game defaulted to. Didn't mind in the end as it gave me lot of opportunities for experimenting with pair and solo team ups so I got to see more pre- and post-battle dialogue that I otherwise would've gone into training mode to look up.

Besides, units like Hiryu/Hotsuma, Vashyron/Zephyr, and Reiji/Xiaomu had already gotten so strong for me early on that it wouldn't really be fair for the other low level teams to keep lagging behind.

Boss Doggie

a cross hit is when the X appears on the enemy, freezes them and any hit gives you high XP output

certain hits in some moves usually force the enemy to a trajectory (the most common being the one that pushes the enemy far off to the left, there are also others like pushing the enemy upwards) can break the X, this is called a cross break, you know this happens when you hear a shattering sound and the X icon is shattered into green pixels

the effect is that the enemy receives critical damage and a boosted damage, like I saw something going for 20k+ damage in a cross break

it's why you see characters like heihachi and segata having two cross break opportunities, and certain attacks like Reiji and Xiaomu's left A having a cross break at the end, so that you can exploit cross breaking damage

there are skills that have increased cross break damage

and of course, there are skills that instead prevent cross break (I think Leon has one), so that rather than dealing massive damage, instead you maintain the cross hit effect to rack up XP.

Ilvocare

Ok. Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

Segata, man... Fucking Segata. That's all I'm willing to say.

EDIT: Even his skill descriptions...!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I believe I'm oblivious enough to never have noticed this X think appearing the whole game >.<;

Something to lookout for next time!

a cross hit is when the X appears on the enemy, freezes them and any hit gives you high XP output

certain hits in some moves usually force the enemy to a trajectory (the most common being the one that pushes the enemy far off to the left, there are also others like pushing the enemy upwards) can break the X, this is called a cross break, you know this happens when you hear a shattering sound and the X icon is shattered into green pixels

the effect is that the enemy receives critical damage and a boosted damage, like I saw something going for 20k+ damage in a cross break

it's why you see characters like heihachi and segata having two cross break opportunities, and certain attacks like Reiji and Xiaomu's left A having a cross break at the end, so that you can exploit cross breaking damage

there are skills that have increased cross break damage

and of course, there are skills that instead prevent cross break (I think Leon has one), so that rather than dealing massive damage, instead you maintain the cross hit effect to rack up XP.

Ahh, that explains why some of hits from like Yakuza and Jin/Kazuya were doing like crazy amounts of damage when they broke the cross hit.

Boss Doggie

I believe I'm oblivious enough to never have noticed this X think appearing the whole game >.<;

Something to lookout for next time!

if you attack the enemy along with a support or solo, there's a chance you'll do a cross hit

it's a bit harder to pull off now though compared to before

Ilvocare

if you attack the enemy along with a support or solo, there's a chance you'll do a cross hit

it's a bit harder to pull off now though compared to before

Only with Solos, actually. Support units need a skill in order to trigger Cross Hits.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one time where I abused Nana and Ciel's Random Status skill. They ended up giving themselves 186% max SP and 194% Atk up in one go. I should've snapped a pic of that...

So I did about 500k damage to the final boss with max ATK boosted KOS-MOS further boosted by Ryo's +50% back attack damage and landing crits for every attack.
Which is a one shot... Kinda anticlimactic =p

And thus concludes my playthrough, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. My final time is 39:00:36

Top Bottom