• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Aw darn it. I guess I'll just Youtube the rest before I get this one day because I lost my save data on it and I'm not playing the entire game again just to get to the ending.

You'll be fine jumping straight into this. Nothing from the first game gets brought up in this at all other than referring to Mii and Kogoro once by name (to verify that they exist) and the other returning characters going "Hey! It's you again".

Also the plot is probably the weakest part of these games outside of the references. You'll be good.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oops I discovered the hard way that the parties grown to large so in some chapters you'll have ta pick an choose who people to leave in/out. That'll lead to some unbalanced leveling. Speaking of which I think those later Clear+'s in the demo spoiled me, I miss getting lotsa exp & levels! I'm really feeling the lack of item drops compared to the first game, guess they really want ya to use the shop for that kinda thing.

ge3N2VK.jpg

lmao

Also "but for me, it was Tuesday" line drop when you assign Pai to Chun-li and Xiaoyu.

Bladenic

You'll be fine jumping straight into this. Nothing from the first game gets brought up in this at all other than referring to Mii and Kogoro once by name (to verify that they exist) and the other returning characters going "Hey! It's you again".

Also the plot is probably the weakest part of these games outside of the references. You'll be good.

Oh? When are they referred to by name?

Oh? When are they referred to by name?

Near the end of the game. They need a stable landing point as the dimensional borders get more messed up so they're like "Why don't we go to there?" and park in the lot in front of Mii's mansion. Neither Mii or Kogoro show up so it's a pretty meaningless reference.

Near the end of the game. They need a stable landing point as the dimensional borders get more messed up so they're like "Why don't we go to there?" and park in the lot in front of Mii's mansion. Neither Mii or Kogoro show up so it's a pretty meaningless reference.

End of chapter 37. Don't you also find out what they've been up to since the last game?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ohohoho dat voice actor reference, I love shit like this

pairing Pai with X and Zero will make X ask her if she would like to join Maverick Hunters, making her say that she'd probably join if she's good with a gun. Zero responds with "a maverick hunter that uses guns, maybe someday we'll see one in the future."

And guess what? Minami Takayama voices Axl!

Ohohoho dat voice actor reference, I love shit like this

Pair Leon with Ryu & Ken and Leon will shout out Hadouken and Shoryuken. Ryu is amazed by how convincing he sounds.

Leon's VA, Toshiyuki Morikawa, also voiced Ryu in Namco X Capcom.

Leon also says a modified version of Kyosuke Nanbu's catchphrase when paired with Reiji & Xiaomu.

Ilvocare

Shit these are super good. I think I might have to stay out of the thread for a bit as I catch up. Finished Chapter 6, and I FELT it. The game felt PERFECT for me, and hell, I even feel like items aren't completely redundant! If this keeps up then I'm REALLY goin to like the game later on! It took a while but now the game feels more than just PXZ1 Turbo Edition.

Edit: My bad, i'm actually on Chapter 8. 6 stands out to me as a moment where the game just shined for me, imo.

Boss Doggie

Pair Leon with Ryu & Ken and Leon will shout out Hadouken and Shoryuken. Ryu is amazed by how convincing he sounds.

Leon's VA, Toshiyuki Morikawa, also voiced Ryu in Namco X Capcom.

Leon also says a modified version of Kyosuke Nanbu's catchphrase when paired with Reiji & Xiaomu.

oh I haven't paired them yet!

also didn't realize Cross Breaking is the source of major damage

Loona

Finally done with the demo playthroughs and prologues.
That was one weird way for a nun-in-training like Erica to say she loves Paris...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol, pairing Ryo with X/Zero has Ryo asking X to teach him how to shoot energy balls & Zero jokes "X DEFEATED. YOU GOT....X-BUSTER". Then they joke about Aty's summons being "Pirate Man" & "Muscle Man". Then Xiaomu says "I love your Energy Gloves, Captain. They're so bad" if paired with Captain Commando.

That must've been really fun, thinking up of the unique dialogue for each team & solo unit.

Also, who's the guy who appears in Captain Commando's attack? I know the girl is from Forgotten Worlds. I feel like I wanna say Battle Circuit, but I'm not sure.

lol, pairing Ryo with X/Zero has Ryo asking X to teach him how to shoot energy balls & Zero jokes "X DEFEATED. YOU GOT....X-BUSTER". Then they joke about Aty's summons being "Pirate Man" & "Muscle Man". Then Xiaomu says "I love your Energy Gloves, Captain. They're so bad" if paired with Captain Commando.

That must've been really fun, thinking up of the unique dialogue for each team & solo unit.

Also, who's the guy who appears in Captain Commando's attack? I know the girl is from Forgotten Worlds. I feel like I wanna say Battle Circuit, but I'm not sure.

I think the energy ball thing is a reference to the cancelled Shenmue Online.
I love the "X! Zero! Are you Mega-men or Rock-men?" when paired up with Segata.

And yeah, Cyber Blue from Battle Circuit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seems like Segata has the best unique conversations. I can't wait to unlock him, finished Ch. 7.

Hard to get a feeling for the pacing so far, but it's been great seeing certain characters appearing earlier than I expected or forgetting "OH RIGHT, this character's in the game!" I actually forgot Captain Commando was in this, so it was a nice surprise.

Really interested in this! I never played the first game because I heard it was an absolute chore, just dozens of joyless levels where you pick off wave after wave of enemies. I don't have that much free time on my hands - is this game similarly a slog? Maybe it's a little breezier and more fun? Could anyone comment on that aspect?

Crumbtiny

Really interested in this! I never played the first game because I heard it was an absolute chore, just dozens of joyless levels where you pick off wave after wave of enemies. I don't have that much free time on my hands - is this game similarly a slog? Maybe it's a little breezier and more fun? Could anyone comment on that aspect?

I never played the first game either, but I just played the demo for this one and really enjoyed it. I also have FE: Fates on my 3DS but between the two I'm kind of jonesin to play more of PXZ2. The upbeat and more active attacks are pretty fun.

As to whether the game as a whole is more of a slog, i can't speak to. Base gameplay seems to be fun though. And if you like some of these characters you'll pry enjoy that much more.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So far the waves usually come after only a turn or two an mostly all at the same time. Like you'll start out with half a dozen baddies, down a couple, end turn, then comes a boss with some cronies and after their done talking another boss with cronies, stuff like that. No real ambushes yet where ya think you're nearly done with the chapter only to get rushed by more baddies!

Pacing in terms of game length so far seems somewhat quicker. I'm at 20 hours after
the 5 short prologues and 20 chapters
an thats with lots more time spent in intermissions shopping/setting up the party and me taking the time to jot down info/stats right from the game. So no real super lengthy hour long battles yet whereas in PXZ an hour per battle was common.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The whole parties been recruited so I guess I'm now entering the second half of the game! Maybe the plot'll finally get somewhere? I miss how great Ogami's Wind skill was in the first game. +1 Move to all vs +1 Move to one is a huge downgrade! So far I haven't come across any equipment/accessory which adds to Move either so some characters are starting ta suffer from being left behind. Boss supers/multi's are getting real strong to, I actually had ta do alot of reviving in the last battle x.x

Boss Doggie

you can still spam Move +1 to everyone by using SP items

also you can use Move +1 to a character twice

Put eleven hours into this and recently completed Chapter 13. Really digging it a lot, though a part of my mind is still waiting to see if later down the line I'll end up having to ration my time with this game to avoid burnout like the first. But so far, with all the changes and improvements to the gameplay I'm really digging it. The combo variety obviously helps since you're limited to just three regular attacks, but because of all the speed increases, I'm finding myself looking for the best ways to increase XP. Last couple chapters it got to a point where I could almost always fill it back up to 100% every other battle because of using the right solo and support units in conjunction.

Also, the character interactions are still great, and the story progression really has improved a lot since you can actually follow along with what's actually going on. PxZ1 I remember zoning out whenever discussion of the main conflict was taking place because the players involved, who was doing what, and which places connected to where felt all over the place. Here, at least so far, it's been as simple as Ouma up to no good, and they're collaborating with Bison who's basically the man responsible for causing a bunch of shit that involves a good portion of the main cast (framing Heihachi, stealing the Phoenix Mirror, continuing to produce V-Durals, the list goes on). I'm sure the real evil will eventually present itself soon, but everything doesn't feel so much like aimlessly going from one scenario to another.

Game really is better on pretty much every front. Aside from maybe a few character omissions, but fuck it all the ones I've seen introduced are great. Hell, even Natsu, who I didn't like at all in Soul Calibur V, but fits into the group pretty well if only to see her get annoyed by the attitudes of the far superior ninjas like Hotsuma, Hiryu, Kage, and Hibana.

Segata alone makes up for all of the units that didn't return to PxZ2. He's so much fun.
Xiamou's esoteric references and jokes are great and all, but Segata's are on another level all because he speaks with the assumption everyone else knows that they're in a video game. Can't wait once I get to him and experience his full introduction proper.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That was a LE bonus for the Japanese edition. I guess Namco didn't bother with bringing it to the US.

Ilvocare

Beat chapter 10. Ingrid was a veritable rollercoaster of emotions: hate at how quickly everyone on the good guy team is pro-her immediately without any real reason, then Xioumu da MVP rolls in and not-so-subtly alludes to her Mary Sue bullshit. Then you finish the chapter and it turns out she's super manipulative and suddenly the character is way less one-dimensional now. Is this the game expanding her character in a way I don't recall Alpha 3 ever doing???

Also I don't understand, why is Natsu likeable? She's a shit version of Taki; how the fuck did she end up enjoyable?

Yeah no, Go Straight in this game is fucking AMAZING. Here's to more good shit!

Loona

Beat chapter 10. Ingrid was a veritable rollercoaster of emotions: hate at how quickly everyone on the good guy team is pro-her immediately without any real reason, then Xioumu da MVP rolls in and not-so-subtly alludes to her Mary Sue bullshit. Then you finish the chapter and it turns out she's super manipulative and suddenly the character is way less one-dimensional now. Is this the game expanding her character in a way I don't recall Alpha 3 ever doing???

Also I don't understand, why is Natsu likeable? She's a shit version of Taki; how the fuck did she end up enjoyable?

The writers in this game actually care and are working in a genre that plays to their strengths - and the result is wonderful.

I loved Xiaomu's comment on how Chun-Li seems to be the only Interpol agent, thus explaining how Carmen Sandiego keeps getting away with her hijinx.

Also just reached the 1st Sylphie scene, and she's as wonderfully and shamelessly mercenary as she was in NxC (too bad she's not playable this time though). The English version starts by calling her Mirabelle like that old manual, but the Japanese voices use Sylphie - I wonder how the transition will work out...

yyr

Question to all of those who are playing and enjoying this game:

I bought a 3DS when I heard the first Project X Zone was being localized. I couldn't wait to play it. But while the dialogue and exchanges between characters amused me greatly, I did not enjoy the gameplay. My feeling was that instead of making the battles challenging, the developers just made them long...very, very long. After the first 15 or so chapters, I quit.

Will I like the sequel more? I really love the concept and wanted to enjoy the first one, and I'm hoping that the gameplay in the sequel features more strategy and less of what I found to be tedious. What do you think?

Loona

The gameplay has more meat in its bones now, between the relevance of character placement and orientation, the ability to upgrade attacks and purchase and select passive skills and how those work with your preferred tactics.
I'm yet to finish the game, but comments and my experience have leaned towards the fights being shorter (and apparently you can skip animations on super attacks to speed things up, although I never do).
It can be harder on following playthroughs based on the demo, and odds are that DLC items are meant to help with those higher difficulties - odds are I'll end up spending the money regarless, because the effort put into this deserves to be rewarded.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also just reached the 1st Sylphie scene, and she's as wonderfully and shamelessly mercenary as she was in NxC (too bad she's not playable this time though). The English version starts by calling her Mirabelle like that old manual, but the Japanese voices use Sylphie - I wonder how the transition will work out...
Hilariously enough, this is actually addressed not long after you meet her.

Ilvocare

The gameplay has more meat in its bones now, between the relevance of character placement and orientation, the ability to upgrade attacks and purchase and select passive skills and how those work with your preferred tactics.
I'm yet to finish the game, but comments and my experience have leaned towards the fights being shorter (and apparently you can skip animations on super attacks to speed things up, although I never do).
It can be harder on following playthroughs based on the demo, and odds are that DLC items are meant to help with those higher difficulties - odds are I'll end up spending the money regarless, because the effort put into this deserves to be rewarded.

Regarding the bolded: that was the case in the first game, too. That also applies to multi-attacks, for both games. Guess what, playing to optimize XP yield and dumping it on kill-em-all attacks is a super legit strategy. Granted, some people like me want to milk criticals for their EXP bonus and end up playing a lot more slowly as a result.

Also I don't think the main game has the same difficulty progression implied by the demo, as visible when you check out the Add-On Content heading in the menu. Advanced Mode is clearly 2nd playthrough difficulty, but it's locked by the condition to clear the game. Also there's SP Advanced Mode which is DLC and I can't tell if it's a bizarre "easy" version of the postgame "hard" difficulty. OR maybe it's actually harder than Advanced Mode. Can't tell.

EDIT: Considering the DLC items are all percentage-based, they're actually not really ideal until your characters hit much higher levels. The equipment's power scaling in this game is much faster than I anticipated.

Boss Doggie

Yeah Ingrid comes off as Xiaomu's rival, both are old and mystical and sagey but also manipulative and playful

I love even the Cardinal's call to them, "I found the old ladies!"

RangerBAD

Are there any SRW-like secrets in this game? Like certain characters defeating certain bosses and getting special rewards? I know there wasn't any in 1.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I fell victim to Chapter 26. The very last baddies the VERY LAST ONE skirted by my peeps an game over'd me. Came back strong an won the next couple with ease at least! I noticed the 15 item limit for the first time after like 30 hours playing... was wondering for awhile while in the shop it said I had way more items but in actual stages the numbers didn't match up!

Boss Doggie

btw you can obviously hear that Segata says a different thing with Jill and Chris (zombies being thrown), but I personally think the Genesis joke is much better

So what's your guys impression on this game? Played the first one and finished it, it was okay but didn't like that the missions were too long.

StayDead

So what's your guys impression on this game? Played the first one and finished it, it was okay but didn't like that the missions were too long.

I played through this recently (imported Japanese one at release) and overall it took me about 46-50 hours, so it's still a long game. I found it a lot more enjoyable than the first game as a lot of the missions are much shorter and I found the character interactions this time to be funnier. Not sure how it'll be in English though.

Top Bottom