• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Ilvocare

So it's more when you get to the 30's then?

Late to the response party but no. Assuming you're rolling on Advanced mode (which you have to manually toggle on by the way-- don't forget), each challenge map kinda jumps up 5 levels or so in terms of par level. You can totally beat them without grinding RIGHT UP to that point, but you should at least play up to the point where you can field the necessary manpower.

L.O.R.D

finished chapter 37
loved when they returned to mii's mansion
i wish at they talk to them for a moment
maybe they returned to the mansion before the PxZ 1 time line?

A.E Suggs

Finished this game about 3 days ago. I don't get the hate for Ingri, she was pretty funny in this game and she feels this games obscure role fine.

STHX

finished chapter 37
loved when they returned to mii's mansion
i wish at they talk to them for a moment
maybe they returned to the mansion before the PxZ 1 time line?

They spoke with Kogoro on the phone, since he and Mii now are Shinra Agents like Reiji & Xiaomu

L.O.R.D

They spoke with Kogoro on the phone, since he and Mii now are Shinra Agents like Reiji & Xiaomu

oh, i keep skipping most of the conversation.
i feel they really took their time adding useless text to the game.

is there something important?

STHX

is there something important?

Not really, it was just a callback to the previous protagonists, like the fact that (spoilers from PXZ1)
Mii is training to control her powers from the first game and the Portalstone has been sealed in a secret place by Shinra

Loona

Finished this game about 3 days ago. I don't get the hate for Ingri, she was pretty funny in this game and she feels this games obscure role fine.

It's mostly the Mary Sueish portrayal she got in SFA3, what with being all ancient and powerful and the source of psycho power that Bison steaing from - she was designed for a game that got canceled, but then gets thrown in the SF setting with a stated power and importance that feels too sudden to be believable as part of how the setting worked before she was ever a part of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, finally finished. Hard to remember if the final chapter was as long as it was in the first game, but I just barely completed it after realizing why the enemies were moving away from me.

Also oh man, I'm digging this post-final chapter cutscene.

Ilvocare

It's mostly the Mary Sueish portrayal she got in SFA3, what with being all ancient and powerful and the source of psycho power that Bison steaing from - she was designed for a game that got canceled, but then gets thrown in the SF setting with a stated power and importance that feels too sudden to be believable as part of how the setting worked before she was ever a part of it.

Yeah, basically that. Of note is that part of what makes her actually enjoyable this time around is two things:

1. Xiaomu's rivalry with her during cutscenes is incredible, enough said.
2. She's actually shows traces of being shrewd to the point of being manipulative, at least in the chapter she appears in, which gives her character some desperately needed rounding. As opposed to being a literal goddess that came from the sky to solve everyone's problems, she's just pissed that Bison stole her thing and wants it back. It's simple and relatable, even if that removes her paragonic role. Which frankly, I'm ok with.

Phew, finally finished. Hard to remember if the final chapter was as long as it was in the first game, but I just barely completed it after realizing why the enemies were moving away from me.

Also oh man, I'm digging this post-final chapter cutscene.

Final cutscenes are so good. And the final chapter isn't THAT much longer in the first than in the second, but it's still kinda long.

---------------

So NG+ update. Challenge 2 complete, all optional stuff gotten within the limit, and holy hell I don't know why the concept of postgame-exclusive hard content is so exciting to me. But it is. Judging by the way Challenge 3 is set up though, that map's gonna level me WAY past the threshhold for running through NG+. Honestly I have to question why even have players run through NG+ if there's maps like this in the game. Feels a bit like padding... But I'm doing it anyways. I honestly didn't expect the rabbit hole to continue past NG+. Yet here I am...

L.O.R.D

something really loved about this game
in chapter 29
they played this
during ryu vs ken fight scene.
in the japanese version they had the full lyrics version in that scene.
almost cried in that scene.

this is the japanese version of chapter 29.

i think because it's from Project X Zone 2: Brave New World - Original Game Sound Edition of the game.

Ilvocare

Another update! Beat Challenge 3 and oh my god I spent WAY too much time agonizing over unit placement on that stage. The stakes were so high that I was paralyzed in fear that each move I made wouldn't be enough. Me being the fucking slowpoke I was, my game clock jumped up 3 hours from that map alone. Regardless, I cleared it. Although, I feel like I missed something...

The way the rewards in Challenge Maps work is that you basically get postgame 'unique' sets of equipment for the character the stage is based on, as well as a set for another character maybe. At least, that's what I've seen so far. One pair's gear from Challenge 1, followed by two pair's gear from Challenge 2 onwards implies 10 Challenge Maps in total. Which is why it was so odd that I managed to get the Darkstalkers' ult. gear and accessory, but only the .hackers' ultimate gear. There was one AIDA I wasn't able to take out in time... do I have to kill all the AIDA and not let Skeith absorb ANY in order to get the ultimate accessory... Or do I have to do the opposite, and let Skeith absorb ALL the AIDA and try to beat his insane bullshit ultimate form. Which, by the was, has an outrageous amount of ATK and TEC, double the Guard meter, over 630k HP, possesses nullifcation to ALL ailments, ZOC, and has Tri-Edge's HP counter. Also he has an HP Heal (Med) turn-based regen on him, and an EP absorb. The reason I say that is that as I went back to the map, curious to see what happened, Skeith actually becomes GIGANTIC if he absorbs all seven AIDA. Basically, where's the missing accessory?

So another question remains: With Chapter 9 cleared and Leon in the party, should I move on to Challenge 4? Or go back to Challenge 3 and try to get the thing I feel I missed?

Andyliini

I just beat the game. I played on normal-setting, just casually strolling trough missions. Some where more challengin than others, but most of time it was just fun pumelling away the enemies with stylush combat moves.

About the ending... Well, let's just say I felt happy for them. I felt like I cared for the characters, that's quite a feat for a game where the story is just made up quickly to justify the game.

Hopefully they can one day make Project X Zone 3, as I'd really like to see the story continued. Thanks for another great game MonolithSoft, you're one of ghe best developers out there!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Calling the plot for PxZ3 now (spoilers relating to the ending of this game):

Reiji & Xiaomu are at their wedding, but then something happens that prevents it from happening, like Saya crashing it, then once you beat that game, everyone is invited to watch them get married & then there's another party.

Xenoflare

Just got the game because it was on sale. (was $50 and now $30 because Canadian dollar lol)

I bought it purely because it has Sakura War characters in there.

I'm a bit uncertain about it's worth yet but I'm at least having fun.

Although I have no idea what's going on in the battles besides pressing buttons when the current combo seems to be over so I can keep building up the damage.

How many chapters are there in total? The first game is being heavily criticized for being way too long because of the latter half of the game. Is this still a problem in this one?

Andyliini

@Xenoflare

The game has 42 main missions + five proloque missions. The missioins might be a bit longer than those of the first game, but there are fever of them, and enemies are much easier to kill this time around.

Also, when you get solo units try to get them and main units attack enemy at the same time. You can then engage them in Cross, which locks the enemy in place, and deals more damage. The battle system is really fun, once you get a grip of it.

I kind of want to also try out Namco x Capcom, since it's the beginning of the saga this game continues. But I doubt Namco is willing to put any money to port is for 3DS or possibly NX.

Xenoflare

@Xenoflare

The game has 42 main missions + five proloque missions. The missioins might be a bit longer than those of the first game, but there are fever of them, and enemies are much easier to kill this time around.

Also, when you get solo units try to get them and main units attack enemy at the same time. You can then engage them in Cross, which locks the enemy in place, and deals more damage. The battle system is really fun, once you get a grip of it.

I kind of want to also try out Namco x Capcom, since it's the beginning of the saga this game continues. But I doubt Namco is willing to put any money to port is for 3DS or possibly NX.

Thanks for the tip :)

The green cross appears when your paired unit and solo unit attack together right?

Also what's the requirement to use the Y finisher? I thought it was just 100SP but it doesn't seem like it's always the case.

Andyliini

Yes, cross appears when pair unit and solo unit attack at the same time. I'm not secrtain, but I think I have been able to cross the enemy with support unit too. Y-finisher needs 100 hundred XP in your meter (lower-right corner).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Namco x Capcom is a chore to play.
Every time I think to myself "ya know, I want to import that & get the fan translation to see where it all started", I remember that the pacing is (from what I've heard) even WORSE than the first PxZ.

Every time I think to myself "ya know, I want to import that & get the fan translation to see where it all started", I remember that the pacing is (from what I've heard) even WORSE than the first PxZ.

The reinforcement ennemy waves are indeed so painfull but damn if the story isn't fun to watch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
no don't even touch the "fan translation", it's so lacking in tone and feel that it felt like it was ran through google translate

STHX

Another update! Beat Challenge 3 and oh my god I spent WAY too much time agonizing over unit placement on that stage. The stakes were so high that I was paralyzed in fear that each move I made wouldn't be enough. Me being the fucking slowpoke I was, my game clock jumped up 3 hours from that map alone. Regardless, I cleared it. Although, I feel like I missed something...

The way the rewards in Challenge Maps work is that you basically get postgame 'unique' sets of equipment for the character the stage is based on, as well as a set for another character maybe. At least, that's what I've seen so far. One pair's gear from Challenge 1, followed by two pair's gear from Challenge 2 onwards implies 10 Challenge Maps in total. Which is why it was so odd that I managed to get the Darkstalkers' ult. gear and accessory, but only the .hackers' ultimate gear. There was one AIDA I wasn't able to take out in time... do I have to kill all the AIDA and not let Skeith absorb ANY in order to get the ultimate accessory... Or do I have to do the opposite, and let Skeith absorb ALL the AIDA and try to beat his insane bullshit ultimate form. Which, by the was, has an outrageous amount of ATK and TEC, double the Guard meter, over 630k HP, possesses nullifcation to ALL ailments, ZOC, and has Tri-Edge's HP counter. Also he has an HP Heal (Med) turn-based regen on him, and an EP absorb. The reason I say that is that as I went back to the map, curious to see what happened, Skeith actually becomes GIGANTIC if he absorbs all seven AIDA. Basically, where's the missing accessory?

So another question remains: With Chapter 9 cleared and Leon in the party, should I move on to Challenge 4? Or go back to Challenge 3 and try to get the thing I feel I missed?

You
must beat every AIDA to get the 2nd .hack challenge equipment, also, in future challenges be sure to check everywhere with the camera

The challenge equipment is among the best equips you can get for your units, I suggest to always try to obtain them if possible, with Chapter 9 cleared you should have no problem in completing Challenge 4, but be careful of Challenge 5, there is a difficulty spike from 5 onward.

Ilvocare

You
must beat every AIDA to get the 2nd .hack challenge equipment, also, in future challenges be sure to check everywhere with the camera

The challenge equipment is among the best equips you can get for your units, I suggest to always try to obtain them if possible, with Chapter 9 cleared you should have no problem in completing Challenge 4, but be careful of Challenge 5, there is a difficulty spike from 5 onward.

That's what I thought... Thanks for the confirmation, I'll re-run 3 after resolving 4. And I already ran into an example of "shit hidden by the camera", but thanks for the reminder!

cj_iwakura

No joke. The music is phenomenal, though. It's fun to play in doses. I'll finish it one day.

So from SEGA's side, Sakura Taisen gave the most number of characters per IP. That's strange considering the fact that they relegated the franchise to mobile and arcade/pachislot.

Sakura Taisen V may have failed to reach SEGA's expectations but what did they really expect after rushing (read half-assing) Sakura Taisen 4 to the market and failing to deliver on their own "Sakura Wars World Project"? Only one of the titles they announced made it outside Japan and it was NISA that did so, not SEGA.

Okay, rant over. Just an annoyed Sakura Taisen fan right here.

Loona

no don't even touch the "fan translation", it's so lacking in tone and feel that it felt like it was ran through google translate

I saw most of the NxC story through a series of cutscene-only videos, not sure if they're still around.
After those ended although the story didn't I had to watch a longplay.

It helped a lot with catching some of the subtle nods in PXZ2, like how Devil Kazuya had stolen the Golden Seed in that game.

Kaleo

Neo Member
I... I wasn't expecting The "Special Event" at the beginning of Ch37 (on NG+) at all...

Remember when all the girls enter the thermal fountain at the Outrealm Gate and the men are kicked out? This time, you can see the bath. In fact, it's a static screen with all girls naked(exCept Lucina and Felicia, I think) on the waters; obviously nothing explicit is shown. You tilt the 3DS in order to see the whole picture, and blow on the mic to pull the hot steam away...

Kaleo

Neo Member
They are there,
but not exactly naked like The other girls - Lucina wears a towel (I think it's one), and Felicia... Well, she's exactly like usual :p

Badly wrote my previous post, sorry...

L.O.R.D

I... I wasn't expecting The "Special Event" at the beginning of Ch37 (on NG+) at all...

Remember when all the girls enter the thermal fountain at the Outrealm Gate and the men are kicked out? This time, you can see the bath. In fact, it's a static screen with all girls naked(exCept Lucina and Felicia, I think) on the waters; obviously nothing explicit is shown. You tilt the 3DS in order to see the whole picture, and blow on the mic to pull the hot steam away...
Yah,I saw a post on mii verse 3days ago
Was really surprised,didn't see Lucina and Felicia in that photo
Also,
hibana still has her mask ,lol

Loona

Would I be ok if I play this second and play the first after? Does it has major spoilers from the first's story?

Not really, the PXZ1 originals are referenced later in PXZ2, but all you need to know about them is stated in the PXZ1 prologue.

STHX

It's because the player can move the screen during that part. It's like a higher resolution image zoomed in. In fact, the bottom screen also shows the other girls missing from the top one.

No idea - but are the stats even better than the DLC stuff or the gear won from new Game + challenge stages?

The final equipment set you can get on the last challenge stage is definitely better than the DLC equipment or the Dress. The dress has other auto effects that can make her useful in specific cases, but it's simply faster and more effective to gain additional copies of the challenge equipments and to just buff your units with skills if you need additional help.

Ilvocare

you guys weren't fucking joking about Challenge Map 05 oh my god

I'm so close I can feel it

but there's probably one more wave on the horizon

there's too many fucking waves and the waves that had cool equipment that came with them stopped coming like 5 waves ago

why am I still here

just to suffer

EDIT: Should have made a note that I did go back to Challenge 3, I grabbed the thing I missed, and I jumped into Challenge 4 having only cleared up to Chapter 11 within the actual NG+. Akira and Kage Maru are fucking AMAZING because when you crank up their fucking Crit damage they start doing like 6k per hit and it feels so fucking good to do almost 300k to enemies and not even have their best equipment or levels yet.

^thats the
boss rush
right? That took me forever. There's another one IIRC. Haven't gotten to it yet.

I feel kinda cheating when playing NG+ since my old equipment are around lol

I know that feel every time I play the Endless Frontier games or PXZ2. But it helps the games go a lot faster, so I'm good with it. lol

Ilvocare

^thats the
boss rush
right? That took me forever. There's another one IIRC. Haven't gotten to it yet.

I know that feel every time I play the Endless Frontier games or PXZ2. But it helps the games go a lot faster, so I'm good with it. lol

Yeah. HOW IS THERE A SECOND ONE I'M LITERALLY COMING UP SHORT FOR POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL MEMBERS BESIDES
THE SAKURA WARS VILLAINS AND OUMA

Also it's super ok for PXZ2 because the Challenge Maps exist. To me, this is some of the realest postgame I've played in an SRPG since... ever? Because most don't usually have postgames. The original EF could have used a difficulty boost the second time around. Still found that game more fun then it ought to have been.

EDIT: Also Poison and Stun are carrying me through so many of the enemies in Challenge Maps that whenever I find something immune to one or both (especially Stun!) they get highest priority on the kill list. Because I need that breathing room I can only get by literally coating the entire goddamn map in glowing yellow units.

EDIT2: Oh god I was right and they're staggering the waves no nonononono no not like this

Kaleo

Neo Member
Mother of effin' god, the Challenge 8...

Right at the beginning, Segata Sanshiro - as an enemy - cuts most of your team's HP.

So I was thinking, Absorb HP skills/equipments will be useful here... then I changed the equipment for my strongest pair, X & Zero: put the Vampire Ring on them.

vYUBZOt.jpg

However, nothing could prepared me for this damage level:

vsYImVw.jpg

But, to be fair... besides
Segata
, the rest of the enemies are "easily" manageable.

Ilvocare

Ok so, I beat Challenge 5. Yay... Honestly the hard part is reacting to where the enemies warp in from, which allows them to get free side and possibly even back attacks on you. Full Defends are life-savers. Consequently. Multi-attacks from enemies are the fucking WORST and fuck you. Straight in the face. Really, the game's capability to do massive damage to you was raised substantially when you were allowed to Defend and Full-Defend against special attacks. Why you couldn't in the first game baffles me nowadays...

I've decided to take a bit of a break from the maps for a bit in order to build up my roster by playing through the NG+ campaign normally. Went through 12 and 13 again rapidly. Might stop at around post-15 or so. Honestly, this is around the time that I should stop, play something else for a bit, then jump back into this. Not something HUGE, mind. A Zelda game might be the break I need before working through the challenges and NG+. Hmmm...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was wondering where
Segata
got to do that multiple enemy attack in the trailer, so Challenge mode featured it eh.

L.O.R.D

CejbgTIWsAALDYZ.jpg

Cejbi2yWsAANHlp.jpg

overall, better then the first game, in the first game there is tons and tons of enemies in every level, and the XP bar in the first level move very slow.
but this game is too much easier,never had to use the slow time ( the slow time is used to make precise critical attack? )
one thing i loved about the first game is you can use all your moves and then you can use extra attack ( A , A+UP,A+Down,A+left,A+right , then you can use extra attack ) , here you can only use 3 moves.

i think i'll play this next

CekfwolXEAAywfo.jpg

i manage to transfer my save from the US version to the JP version and it worked.
buy i'll miss the translation,i think i should extract the OST from this game and inject them to the US game.

mjc

Ordered this on Amazon this morning through the price error, should I hunt down the first game? I recall it not being received too well, the combat being too repetitive being one of the issues.

Loona

Ordered this on Amazon this morning through the price error, should I hunt down the first game? I recall it not being received too well, the combat being too repetitive being one of the issues.

It's not really required to play PXZ1 to enjoy PXZ2. The gameplay and story really evolved between the games, although PXZ1 still has some neat moments between characters (Devilotte was fun).

Top Bottom