• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection Remains Unpatched 6 Months Later, Developer Shrugs

Zia

As one of the "revamped" Digital Eclipse's biggest early supporters on this forum, I felt kind of obligated to make this thread.

So last August Capcom and developer Digital Eclipse launched the Mega Man Legacy Collection. It was the first entry in what was supposed to be the Criterion Collection of video games, pixel perfect collections with cohesive and respectful context and slick menus running on Digital Eclipse's proprietary emulator/porting engine which would allow them to preserve and futureproof the games.

The games had an imperfect launch. While I was a staunch defender of the company's mission statement and the state they launched in (it wasn't as bad as some on here claimed), it was still a bit of a disappointment. Sound issues plagued each version, some claimed serious instances of input lag (this was one of the more suspect claims that I got into people with) and worst of all a lot of folks on Steam couldn't even get the game to launch using ATI cards. It was a huge bummer but, as Capcom and Digital Eclipse's figurehead Frank Cifaldi, known archivist and preservationist, promised fixes, I and others assured folks that this would be worked out.

Six months later and there's no fix. Frank Cifaldi has pulled a pinned tweet and the single pinned post from Capcom on the Steam forums dating from last summer remains untouched. The 3DS version is in the hands of reviewers and is apparently a hot mess. GAF's own OrbitalBeard approached Cifaldi on Twitter asking:

Now that it's launching at retail on Tuesday, any plans to fix the sound issues that have been in the MMLC since last August?

... to which Cifaldi responded:

that's a question for Capcom.

Which (and this is coming from someone that is involved with the development community, understands the perils of working with a publisher and thinks that people that play video games are often entitled manchildren) is fucking bullshit. You don't get to go on a PR tour, talking up your mission, touting yourself as the Criterion Collection of video games and getting free press from friends and ex-colleagues at Gamasutra and USgamer then go silent for six months and shrug off questions when someone asks if you plan on fixing your video game.

If this was a completely internal project from a large publisher I feel as if they'd be raked over the coals, but since it's a community figurehead with "good intentions" press has completely ignored the bad attitude and complete and utter failure to deliver on what was promised. I couldn't be more disappointed and wanted to throw this out there as sort of a PSA to those interested in the 3DS ver, especially since I was such a big supporter of the studio.

I was actually looking forward to having this on 3DS, but I guess that's in the bin then.

My 3DS remains a Monster Hunter machine.

Shizuka

If it's been six months with no patch, I think it's safe to say that they don't intend on fixing this anymore. Whether it's up to the developer or the publisher, shame on both of them.

Chun-Li

I don't see how this is the developer shrugging. That actually IS a question for Capcom. They are the ones that makes the call for that. They fund and green light the patch. The developer that is contract cannot do anything about it unless given the thumbs up by the publisher.

I don't see how this is the developer shrugging. That actually IS a question for Capcom. They are the ones that makes the call for that. They fund and green light the patch. The developer that is contract cannot do anything about it unless given the thumbs up by the publisher.

This. Digital Eclipse most likely DOES want this to be out, but they won't get any budget for patches or even attempt to push the update live without Capcom giving the go-ahead.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Huh, I haven't really been following this title; why is there such a distance on the release dates between platforms?

KingBroly

Banned

Well they said that the game would be patched but have gone silent since then, so no, it's on the developer at that point.

And the 3DS version, which the same developer was also developing, has framerate judder.

Chun-Li

Well they said that the game would be patched but have gone silent since then, so no, it's on the developer at that point.

And the 3DS version, which the same developer was also developing, has framerate judder.

They most likely thought it was getting patched. And something could have happened afterwards (sales, most likely) preventing it from being a thing. Now it's up to Capcom to handle the PR at that point because there is no point in the devs saying anything when stuff can change.

It was the first entry in what was supposed to be the Criterion Collection of video games, pixel perfect collections with cohesive and respectful context and slick menus running on Digital Eclipse's proprietary emulator/porting engine which would allow them to preserve and futureproof the games.

Interesting analogy. Did you come up with that, or did someone else make that comparison?

fernoca

I didnt realize it was a "hot mess"

Here's a 3ds review 9/10 - didn't say it was terrible

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/mega_man_legacy_collection
Seems the 3DS versions while look better (brighter and correct aspect ratio) than the Virtual Console versions, they seem to have a few problems with stuttering and transitions.

That while the game are still playable,fun and as a package is good, those expecting perfect ports will be disappointed and will be better with either the console versions (with issues), the individual Virtual Console releases or the originals.

Interesting analogy. Did you come up with that, or did someone else make that comparison?
Frank himself alluded to it:
“Movies have the Criterion Collection, but there hasn’t been anything like that for games,” said Frank Cifaldi, Head of Restoration for Digital Eclipse. “We’re living in the golden age of a brand new form of artistic expression, and we’re not doing a very good job of making sure our games will be available five years from now, let alone fifty. The more we can do right now to take video game preservation seriously, the safer our history will be.”

Frank Cifaldi had a pinned tweet on his page for months stating his team was working on fixes for the game.

There's also a pinned thread on the Steam community (I believe from a Capcom rep) stating that a patch is coming. It hasn't been updated since August 2015 though.

I definitely don't think it''s fair to pin all the blame on Digital Eclipse but when your entire marketing for the game is framed around your desire to create new compilations that preserve the classics and your collection launches with pretty serious audio issues (and other problems present on the PC version), you've kind of deceived the consumer. By the way, it was DE making a big deal about authenticity, not Capcom.

If you want an example of an audio bug still present in the PS4 version (including retail copies shipping this week), skip to 1:35 in this video

If DE hadn't based this entire project on their "rebirth" as a new studio dedicated to authentic preservation, I'd have moved on a long time ago.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Capcom is in a bad way right now. They don't have the money Frank and co would be after to fund fixes and stuff.

Archival and pixel perfect stuff seems like its always going to come from non-legit routes not bound by budget and running on passion alone, no redtape in sight.

I'm reminded of Dave Lang recounting an issue regarding 3S Online where Capcom would not greenlight the patch, so Iron Galaxy paid out of pocket just to get the Patch live on consoles.

End of the day, you can blame whoever did PR for the dev for outright saying patches would be expected, but they are at the mercy of their publisher, and based on past stories regarding Capcom and late patches for their games, I am more than likely to assume this is Capcom not considering it a priority.

It's kinda not much of a response to glean a lot from, imo. Personally I read it as, "no clue, it's in Capcom's hands, it could happen whenever Capcom decides they want to spend another dime on this project"

Releasing retro games broken with no fixes is some meta "just like in the old days" shit

Jokes aside, I haven't kept up with this game, does it need patches that bad? Was looking to pick it up down the line but those issues make me sad.

Never get your hopes up with Capcom in regards to post release support. This is the same company that won't fix the remaining bugs in the Steamworks version of RE5 (most of which had fan fixes very fast and are easily reproducible).

Really glad I didn't bite now. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Anniversary Collection but with fixed audio and graphics and HD presentation. The sad thing is Capcom will look at this as no one's interested in Mega Man.

Hopefully that new cartoon coming will inspire something new.

Murrah

Banned
Bought the PS4 version on launch day and there were definitely some issues, mostly with sound. Can't say I noticed any severe input lag, and I feel like I would notice; I tried playing Mega Man 9 on PSNow a couple of months ago and couldn't even beat Splash Woman's stage because of the lag. That being said, if they promised a patch for months and now are dodging the question then clearly it's not coming, which is pretty shameful regardless of who's to blame.

Hearing bad things about the 3DS port from the gaf thread too, which is sad but not unexpected. Looks like I spent 50 bucks to get a pretty lame gold Mega Man amiibo.

This is the same company that won't fix the remaining easily reproducible bugs (most of which had fan fixes very fast) in the Steamworks version of RE5. Never get your hopes up with Capcom.

Is there a list or anything regarding this, kinda curious to hear what's still unfixed (I had one really annoying-as-fuck bug in the Tanker level, where an enemy carrying a key item did not correctly move where the player can reach them, so I could not progress until I restarted that level completely)?

Releasing retro games broken with no fixes is some meta "just like in the old days" shit

Jokes aside, I haven't kept up with this game, does it need patches that bad? Was looking to pick it up down the line but those issues make me sad.

The sound in the console versions will randomly garble up for no reason in particular. Mega Man 3 also has a weird-ass visual bug on the stage select screen, among other, minor things.

It's playable, but those little annoyances add up.

jay

It's my understanding that developers hold the purse strings and publishers are merely at their mercy. Frank is a monster for doing this to Capcom.

So much for having perfect ports. Capcom's unwillingness to fund patches completely undermines the entire purpose of the collection.

But why should we expect them to treat Megaman any different these days

Is there a list or anything regarding this, kinda curious to hear what's still unfixed (I had one really annoying-as-fuck bug in the Tanker level, where an enemy carrying a key item did not correctly move where the player can reach them, so I could not progress until I restarted that level completely)?

That is the worst bug for sure, the only game breaking one really (and you can avoid it by sniping the enemies earlier in the map). Here is the full list:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/21690/discussions/0/618458030688121927/

Not the end of the world or anything but still annoying.

That's a shame. Still waiting for a sale on the PS4 version, will have to be a significant discount now.

fucking Capcom. You used to be cool

Really glad I didn't bite now. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Anniversary Collection but with fixed audio and graphics and HD presentation. The sad thing is Capcom will look at this as no one's interested in Mega Man.

Hopefully that new cartoon coming will inspire something new.

Honestly, a collection with the content of Anniversary Collection and the presentation and extras from Legacy Collection would be the ideal MM compilation.

georly

3DS version arriving for me tomorrow - as someone who likes megaman but only plays them casually - will the flaws be glaringly obvious and a detriment or will it be fine unless viewed side-by-side or attempting speedruns?

ZeroCDR

Never get your hopes up with Capcom in regards to post release support. This is the same company that won't fix the remaining bugs in the Steamworks version of RE5 (most of which had fan fixes very fast and are easily reproducible).

They can't even be bothered to revert to the correct version that doesn't need GFWL installed to run, thank god a fan patch fixes it.

At the end of the day, I don't think it ultimately matters whose fault it is, Digital Eclipse or Capcom. The fact is, this collection is not authentic and if you want to play these games in their best forms, this is not the way to do it.

However, if you just really want these games on your PS4 or XB1, buy the collection digitally for $15. It's not broken or anything but the audio bugs likely aren't going to be addressed. Just don't pay $30 for the retail version. Still not sure why it's twice the price.

Murrah

Banned
3DS version arriving for me tomorrow - as someone who likes megaman but only plays them casually - will the flaws be glaringly obvious and a detriment or will it be fine unless viewed side-by-side or attempting speedruns?

If it's anything like the PS4 version, it'll be fine for casual playing. It's mostly just a few sound things here and there. Any visual glitches I've seen were present in the originals, but I haven't kept up with what people have been reporting. That being said, I am hearing stuff about screen stuttering or something to that effect on the 3DS version.

The 3DS version apparently performs quite a bit worse than the console / PC versions but since it's not out until tomorrow, there isn't a whole lot more to be said about its overall performance.

I don't think this is really a cause for lambasting the developer. As the poster above points out, they probably really do want to patch it, but it's up to Capcom to approve it.

It's certainly an unfortunate situation none the less. I was really looking forwarding to owning this collection.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, this is a case where blaming the dev seems like it's coming from a place of ignorance. Who can be sure about where the buck stops when these things are concerned? Calling Frank out like he's the one who decides to flip the switch, don't know if that's how the world works.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The PC version didn't seem too bad to me (on a Radeon card, no less), but it's pretty despicable that they haven't done any support with this game whatsoever. That and the general laziness of the whole product has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I agree it's probably not fair to call Frank and Digital Eclipse out as the sole reason for this messup.

But lord knows I won't be buying what they're selling again. I think that's a perfectly fair thing to take away from this situation. Maybe this collection should have, you know, launched in the state that was promised. M2 is able to pull it off on a consistent basis with their re-releases.

Zia

Yeah, this is a case where blaming the dev seems like it's coming from a place of ignorance. Who can be sure about where the buck stops when these things are concerned? Calling Frank out like he's the one who decides to flip the switch, don't know if that's how the world works.

Yeah, as I said, I understand how development works. However this was presented as a Digital Eclipse product first and foremost, the launching pad for the label and in interviews involving the collection talk trended toward the engine, porting process and potential future projects. If Digital Eclipse has absolutely no control over the product then the very premise of what they were setting out to do is impossible.

I agree it's probably not fair to call Frank and Digital Eclipse out as the sole reason for this messup.

Yeah, that's not what I was saying at all and I think I provided plenty of context for why I believe it is on them as well as Capcom. I don't think this can be overlooked as another Other Ocean/USFIV situation because of how the entire thing was framed up until the point the game launched with problems, at which point it transitions from, "This is a Digital Eclipse project" to "This is a Capcom-funded project."

Absent any further information, I think it's fair to blame both Capcom and Digital Eclipse for these problems. Certainly this makes me hesitant to trust Digital Eclipse with any of the future projects no matter what publishers they end up working with.

Yeah, as I said, I understand how development works. However this was presented as a Digital Eclipse product first and foremost, the launching pad for the label and in interviews involving the collection talk trended toward the engine, porting process and potential future projects. If Digital Eclipse has absolutely no control over the product then the very premise of what they were setting out to do is impossible.

Exactly. I don't think a lot of people understand just how much Digital Eclipse was front and center as the major focus of this project. This wasn't a simple outsourced port job. One of the main themes of the entire marketing campaign was DE's brand new classic games engine and how this collection was the jumping off point for more authentic collections in the future.

Yeah, that's not what I was saying at all and I think I provided plenty of context for why I believe it is on them as well as Capcom. I don't think this can be overlooked as another Other Ocean/USFIV situation because of how the entire thing was framed up until the point the game launched with problems, at which point it transitions from, "This is a Digital Eclipse project" to "This is a Capcom-funded project."

Oh, I completely agree with you and I don't think that you're putting all the blame on him at all. Your points are completely valid and I agree with you 100%.

Savitar

*Looks at his pre order with the golden Mega Man amiibo*

Hmmmm

Worth it or not worth it.......worth it or not worth it..............

No_Style

Sorry, OP. I can't take your side on this. Patches require resources and time which the publisher has and if Capcom doesn't want to pay then it's on them. I'm sure Digital Eclipse have learned quite a lot on this project and I hope their future endeavors are handled better.

Exactly. I don't think a lot of people understand just how much Digital Eclipse was front and center as the major focus of this project. This wasn't a simple outsourced port job. One of the main themes of the entire marketing campaign was DE's brand new classic games engine and how this collection was the jumping off point for more authentic collections in the future.

It doesn't matter how passionate they are about their work when the bottom line is money. It would be very nice for them to front the bill on patch development like what Iron Galaxy did with SF3 Third Strike Online Edition but Dave Lang even said he probably wouldn't have done that again.

Here's his story from the Giant Bombcast. (From 7:30 -> 10:00)

Zalman

I'm probably still going to pick up the PS4 version. I've been waiting to own a collection like this forever (the Anniversary one never released in Europe). Seems like the issues are minor so I can deal with it. That said, it's a shame these issues haven't been fixed yet, especially if they initially promised it.

Top Bottom