• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection Remains Unpatched 6 Months Later, Developer Shrugs

Saikyo

Can someone please post the patch notes?

-Improved in-game audio playback

-Improved sound effects in menus

-Added support for the Japanese Rockman versions of all six games

-Added japanese language support

-Various bug fixes and performance improvements

Piccoro

Can someone please post the patch notes?
CdiQIOhWwAE4jV2.jpg

Edit: Oops. :p

A quick question: Are the Japanese Rockmans easier/harder than the Western versions?
I'm playing the first one and it seems easier...

Xbob42

Banned
I don't know what crappy emulator you're using, but they replicate all of the original issues the games had perfectly. That's easy to do, if you have a decent emulator.

I know this an older quote... but am I the only person around that doesn't give a shit about "museum quality" ports and prefers to play emulated games where they actually perform solidly? I don't want the flicker, I don't want the slowdown. I didn't like that shit when I was a kid and I don't like it now.

Jawmuncher

On PC at least the sales have been pretty low. But then again it hasn't had any real discounts yet either. But at least this is something.

Saikyo

I know this an older quote... but am I the only person around that doesn't give a shit about "museum quality" ports and prefers to play emulated games where they actually perform solidly? I don't want the flicker, I don't want the slowdown. I didn't like that shit when I was a kid and I don't like it now.

We already had this discussion before, go buy the complete works PS1 classics version on PS3 PSN then :p

Umibozu

Some games were designed with slowdown in mind, so no I would think that museum quality performance makes sense for certain games.
In regards to flicker I think that it displayed differently on crts so it would make sense to fix that.

Saikyo

A few questions:

1. Did the patch fix a lot of the issues?

2. Is the physical PS4 boxed copy have a disc or is it a download code?

1. It seems to have fixed a lot of issues, yes, but not all of them, particularly some "popping" audio in a few tracks, mainly from MM1 and 2. It also adds the Japanese versions of each game (Rockman), which is awesome.

2. Physical BR disc.

yyr

Any idea whether the patch dropped yet for X1 as well? I was considering grabbing this but have been avoiding it due to all the issues.

Could some folks with the patch (regardless of platform) share their thoughts on whether the collection is more worth the purchase now, for someone who is pretty particular about the authenticity of the games? I still have my NES hooked up and all 6 cartridges handy, so it's not like I *need* to buy this, but the Challenge Mode and set of Achievements are kind of exciting to me.

MM5 has some severe performance issues when played on the 3ds collection. Switching to the Japanese version eliminates it for whatever reason.
Only on the 3DS collection? Or are these problems present as well on PS4?

I also wonder why MM3,4,5,6 have that blank vertical line on the left. I'm sure it's part of the original game but what gives? MM1 and 2 don't have it. Due to overscan on 90s TVs I doubt many even got to see them but still... why?

Any idea whether the patch dropped yet for X1 as well? I was considering grabbing this but have been avoiding it due to all the issues.

Could some folks with the patch (regardless of platform) share their thoughts on whether the collection is more worth the purchase now, for someone who is pretty particular about the authenticity of the games? I still have my NES hooked up and all 6 cartridges handy, so it's not like I *need* to buy this, but the Challenge Mode and set of Achievements are kind of exciting to me.

You may notice things a lot of others do not, like some input lag and audio issues.

For $15 though, I'd go for it. It's still very playable and the challenges are pretty fun. Plus, now that the Rockman games are included, it's even better.

Is this an exclusive problem with this collection or was the original NES MM5 also inferior to RM5?

Exclusive to the 3DS version.

FWIW I never noticed the popping sounds that OrbitalBeards mentions is in a few tracks of MM1 and 2. The garbled music that used to be present before this patch was definitely noticeable but fortunately it was only on the title screen and level select screen but it's gone now on PS4 and I assume soon on XB1.

I say this collection is very much worth your $15. I even ponied up $30 for the physical copy and am very happy with it.

Saikyo

Is this an exclusive problem with this collection or was the original NES MM5 also inferior to RM5?

Exclusive problem of the collection on 3DS, even Frank dont know how that happened.

I also wonder why MM3,4,5,6 have that blank vertical line on the left. I'm sure it's part of the original game but what gives? MM1 and 2 don't have it. Due to overscan on 90s TVs I doubt many even got to see them but still... why?

The blank vertical line I remember in the emulation, he could have just left the top part of the quote that talked about MM5/RM5 :p

Saikyo

I guess that answers my question whether playing the American MM5 in my PS4 version would be inferior to RM5. I guess they're the same.

OrbitalBeard was quoting someone talking about the 3DS...but yeah now that Piccoro said we dont know how are the performance of the Rockman versions on PS4, I guess they cant screw up right?

OrbitalBeard was quoting someone talking about the 3DS...but yeah now that Piccoro said we dont know how are the performance of the Rockman versions on PS4, I guess they cant screw up right?

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the 3DS version shipped from the start with the Rockman versions while the PS4, Steam and X1 versions had to wait for a post-3DS-launch patch?

Steam and X1 haven't received this patch yet, right?

I think new news merits a new thread. Many people won't know this "no patch yet" thread is being bumped because a patch was just released. More people need to know the good news!

I nominate OrbitalBeard to make the new thread. Thoughts?

Piccoro

I think new news merits a new thread. Many people won't know this "no patch yet" thread is being bumped because a patch was just released. More people need to know the good news!

I nominate OrbitalBeard to make the new thread. Thoughts?
Yes I algo nominate OrbitalBeard! :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did a quick playthrough of Mega Man 2 with the patch. From what I can tell the really badly messed up sound that sometimes happens in the intro is fixed. But that's about it. All other crackling issues are still present everywhere throughout the game including the ending.

randomkid

Did a quick playthrough of Mega Man 2 with the patch. From what I can tell the really badly messed up sound that sometimes happens in the intro is fixed. But that's about it. All other crackling issues are still present everywhere throughout the game including the ending.

yeesh, just as I was finally about to pull the plug. I guess I'll subscribe here on the off chance Capcom gives them money to fix this next year or something and this thread gets bumped.

Glix

Does the 3DS version have the same issues?

No but it just reeks of shittiness.

If you turn of the border artwork there are these two big ass white seams that you can see. This is a not a huge deal, but what it represents is huge.

Thats the kind of thing that screams "we gotta get this shit out the door". This was supposed to be a love letter to mega man. Check Sakurai to see how to put everything you have into a love letter.

yeesh, just as I was finally about to pull the plug. I guess I'll subscribe here on the off chance Capcom gives them money to fix this next year or something and this thread gets bumped.
For what its worth I never noticed these popping sounds on Ice Man Stage on MM1 or Weapon Get on MM2. It's not even in the ballpark of what I'd call a big issue that should make you not get this game. They're so minor I swear I haven't noticed them.

I didn't play that version much, so I can only say what others have reported, but apparently there's some (visual) stutter and Mega Man 5 seems to have severe performance issues.
From what I hear these MM5 issues on 3DS are fixed if you change to the Japanese version (Rockman 5) thats also available in the same Legacy Collection.

For what its worth I never noticed these popping sounds on Ice Man Stage on MM1 or Weapon Get on MM2. It's not even in the ballpark of what I'd call a big issue that should make you not get this game. They're so minor I swear I haven't noticed them.

Yeah, no one should pass on the collection based on this. This issue annoys me and a few others but most probably won't notice or care.

From what I hear these MM5 issues on 3DS are fixed if you change to the Japanese version (Rockman 5) thats also available in the same Legacy Collection.

Yeah, I've played the Legacy Collection on the 3DS and for whatever reason playing it when set to "Rockman" makes the game run much better/smoother. No clue what happened there...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, no one should pass on the collection based on this. This issue annoys me and a few others but most probably won't notice or care.

That depends. The collection is "good enough" if you don't already have other versions of these games. If you do, I'd recommend to skip it.

That's not a fix, it's a workaround. It also has the downside that most of the text is in Japanese (not that there's much text and even less important text in these games).

That depends. The collection is "good enough" if you don't already have other versions of these games. If you do, I'd recommend to skip it.

I'm speaking purely about the "popping" sound issue on certain tracks. If that's the only thing keeping you from the game, you should seriously consider it.

Also, I have quite a few versions of these games and I still think it's worth buying, though I totally understand why not everyone feels that way, because it's certainly not perfect.

Top Bottom