• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection Remains Unpatched 6 Months Later, Developer Shrugs

gunstarhero

It's real. In fact, I experienced it myself a day or two ago when playing through the first game again.
What a shame - glad I caught this thread, because this game is going right back to Best Buy as soon as it arrives. Thanks OP!

Crazy to think that Capcom released a masterpiece collection like Arcade Cabinet and goes ahead and releases this mess for one of their most popular IPs.

sharc

Neo Member
It's most obvious when trying to fire off precision shots.

For example, pressing a quick left, right, shoot, you would expect MM to move left, then turn right and fire. Sometimes the right input would get dropped, so you would just move left, then shoot left.
Well, that sucks. :(

i'm not excited about defending the output of digital eclipse, but there is actually a turn 'n shoot bug in the original games; mm3 introduces some subtle changes to the game's physics and controls, some of which got fixed and some of which didn't. in mm1 and 2, if you turn and shoot in succession, you will turn first and shoot second. in 3, you shoot first and turn second. i'm pretty sure that this never got corrected and affects all later games as well, but i can't double check right now.

Now that the 3ds version is out to the masses, how are the bugs? Wondering if I should open mine or return it. Keep in mind I'm not the biggest MM fan, and only finished the first one in the past.

Now that the 3ds version is out to the masses, how are the bugs? Wondering if I should open mine or return it. Keep in mind I'm not the biggest MM fan, and only finished the first one in the past.

If you already bought it, I think you should give it a try. I guess you could return it and buy a VC version which are $5 each. I haven't played the Legacy Collection on 3DS yet, so I don't haven't seen how it is personally.

Does the retail 3ds version at 30 dollars have anything over the 16 dollar digital version? Manual at least?

The 30 retail version comes with stickers, free 3DS themes, and a download code for Megaman music. I'm not sure if it has a manual.

Jinroh

The only game that suffered from heavy input lag for me was Megaman 1. I couldn't even pass the first level because of the insane delay. Playing on PS4. I haven't tried it again afterwards, so I don't know if it was fixed. But it was unplayable.

I wouldn't say it's major or breaks the game, but it's noticeable. It's basically half-second jitters of the screen while things are moving. I don't think it affects my inputs or has gotten me killed or anything, but it's weird to look at. It's one of those things where I wouldn't be surprised if people don't notice it, and I could see myself adjusting to it, but it's definitely annoying.

I'm still enjoying the collection (played some challenges and am up to the Wily Stages in Mega Man 1) and it's still very playable. It's a nice package, and the extra 3ds features like the community challenges and the Japanese versions of the games are pretty neat (my playthrough of 1 right now is in the Japanese version, which as far as I can tell just affects the title screen, but cool nonetheless).

Edit for some additional notes:

There is 3D! But just for the optional borders you can turn on. It puts the borders in the background and the game into the forefront. Pretty weird use of the feature.

One or two of floor crawling enemies in the Fireman's stage seem to randomly disappear for no reason. I don't know for sure if that happened in the original version, but I'm inclined to think it didn't.

I wouldn't say it's major or breaks the game, but it's noticeable. It's basically half-second jitters of the screen while things are moving. I don't think it affects my inputs or has gotten me killed or anything, but it's weird to look at. It's one of those things where I wouldn't be surprised if people don't notice it, and I could see myself adjusting to it, but it's definitely annoying.

I'm still enjoying the collection (played some challenges and am up to the Wily Stages in Mega Man 1) and it's still very playable. It's a nice package, and the extra 3ds features like the community challenges and the Japanese versions of the games are pretty neat (my playthrough of 1 right now is in the Japanese version, which as far as I can tell just affects the title screen, but cool nonetheless).

Cool, thanks for the impressions.

ElTopo

Banned
Capcom has an unfortunate history of doing this with developers and unless the problems are "game breaking" they are not going to spend even a dime to fix a problem.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this falls on the developer.

Capcom had a ship date, which the developer was contractually obligated to hit. I'm sure they were aware of these issues when the game shipped, but couldn't delay it any further to fix them.

Anyway, it's not the developer's responsibility to spend their money patching Capcom's game.
If the developer didn't hit their delivery date with a working game, it damn well is their responsibility (morally, if not legally).

Robin64

Glad someone else (DoctorFish) noticed what I notice. Not alone!

It's one of those things that yeah, some people won't see. But if you are someone who does, and once you cans see it, you'll never unsee it.

Like the dropped frame in Mario Kart 8.

Never get your hopes up with Capcom in regards to post release support. This is the same company that won't fix the remaining bugs in the Steamworks version of RE5 (most of which had fan fixes very fast and are easily reproducible).

THIS. I've owned the PC version since launch and it was always a bit buggy (the game was almost always been just about unplayable in DX10 mode) but it was very playable. The Steamworks patch just about broke the game. In fact the game is completely broken if you don't make use of the fan patches.
Even then me and a buddy of mine just played through the game recently and we both encountered different issues that dogged us through the entire campaign. I had a weird stuttering issue that only seemed to be triggered by audio ques (so the game would stutter anytime a character spoke) and my buddy had a weird visual glitch that would strike randomly throughout the game. Basically the glitch would turn the game into a technicolor rainbow and he would then have to alt tab out of the game and then alt tab back in and the issue would fix itself. Also, before you ask I can assure you that his hardware is 100% A-Ok.

In short, if its not a new, mainline Street Fighter title then Capcom will not fund post release patches.

Well the thing shipped before I could dump it from my queue, so whenever this arrives I'll give the PS4 version a shot. I'm bummed about input lag, but it can't be worse than the PS1 versions, right

OK I just wanna play devils advocate here and say that maybe he meant "That's a question for Capcom." in the sense that they weren't fixing it but maybe that's code for "Capcom didn't allocate a budget for bug fixes, just porting and fixing it would have screwed us" but I honestly have no idea how the actual development process is for this game but that's what I got from it.

OK I just wanna play devils advocate here and say that maybe he meant "That's a question for Capcom." in the sense that they weren't fixing it but maybe that's code for "Capcom didn't allocate a budget for bug fixes, just porting and fixing it would have screwed us" but I honestly have no idea how the actual development process is for this game but that's what I got from it.

It's worth pointing out that Cifaldi also tweeted this:

"@Tracker_TD @HatokTalk yes, MMLC has bugs that no one saw until after release. If you'd like them fixed, go ask Capcom, it's out of my hands"

So it's pretty obvious Capcom isn't going to spring for a patch and this is something DE wanted to fix.

It's worth pointing out that Cifaldi also tweeted this:

"@Tracker_TD @HatokTalk yes, MMLC has bugs that no one saw until after release. If you'd like them fixed, go ask Capcom, it's out of my hands"

So it's pretty obvious Capcom isn't going to spring for a patch and this is something DE wanted to fix.

I just....don't understand how they didn't encounter some of these bugs in testing. Are games never played on retail / consumer units before release? Not even digital titles?

The sound issues in particular were noticed by people here on GAF within minutes of the game's midnight launch.

@MUWANdo

Banned
He's not saying "I don't want to answer the question", he's saying "I'm not allowed to tell you if we attempted to fix these bugs or if a patch does or doesn't exist, and even if it did exist, we're not the ones who decide whether or not it gets released."

As for how some of those bugs made it to the initial release to begin with, I get the impression that this was not a long project, and in those circumstances it's easy to overlook dumb things--it happens to bigger, better-resourced projects all the times. (I'm also guessing Capcom handled QA...)

Really, I don't think this was a terrible release or one that warrants as much condemnation as it's getting, but I suppose they opened themselves up to that degree of criticism by throwing around Criterion comparisons before launch.

He's not saying "I don't want to answer the question", he's saying "I'm not allowed to tell you if we attempted to fix these bugs or if a patch does or doesn't exist, and even if it did exist, we're not the ones who decide whether or not it gets released."

As for how some of those bugs made it to the initial release to begin with, I get the impression that this was not a long project, and in those circumstances it's easy to overlook dumb things--it happens to bigger, better-resourced projects all the times. (I'm also guessing Capcom handled QA...)

Really, I don't think this was a terrible release or one that warrants as much condemnation as it's getting, but I suppose they opened themselves up to that degree of criticism by throwing around Criterion comparisons before launch.

Pretty much. It's worth $15 regardless of its problems but the way the project was presented opened it up to lots of criticism.

Glad I saw this thread. I was turned off back in August after all their "Criterion Collection" hyperbole when a hacker discovered they were just using simple roms and other aforementioned issues but decided I'd at least wait and see how the 3DS version turned out. Even if ultimately it's Capcom's fault, Cifaldi's tweet passing the buck and putting the onus on fans to complain to Capcom when DE should be doing so means that I'll be passing on the 3DS version for now.

Syril

I just....don't understand how they didn't encounter some of these bugs in testing. Are games never played on retail / consumer units before release? Not even digital titles?

The sound issues in particular were noticed by people here on GAF within minutes of the game's midnight launch.
For the Wii U version of Freedom Planet when a similar kind of thing had happened it was because the bugs in question didn't actually happen on the devlopment kits.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Glad I saw this this thread. I was turned off back in August after all their "Criterion Collection" hyperbole when a hacker discovered they were just using simple roms and other aforementioned issues but decided I'd at least wait and see how the 3DS version turned out. Even if ultimately it's Capcom's fault, Cifaldi's tweet passing the buck and putting the onus on fans to complain to Capcom means that I'll be passing on the 3DS version for now.

...they're not using "simple ROMs", though? Like, there are absolutely modified ROMs of the original games in there that they're pulling data from (gfx/sound, stage layouts) but the game logic is something they ported into their own engine and you can't just drag/drop any old ROM in there and have it work. You can complain about the execution all you like but they didn't lie about their approach, not in the slightest.

Again, he's not "passing the buck", he is literally not allowed to comment as per DE's contract with Capcom. This is not uncommon.

...they're not using "simple ROMs", though? Like, there are absolutely modified ROMs of the original games in there that they're pulling data from (gfx/sound, stage layouts) but the game logic is something they ported into their own engine and you can't just drag/drop any old ROM in there and have it work. You can complain about the execution all you like but they didn't lie about their approach, not in the slightest.

Again, he's not "passing the buck", he is literally not allowed to comment as per DE's contract with Capcom. This is not uncommon.

Never said they lied about their approach. And their contract with Capcom is not my problem. I find it hard to believe the sound issues couldn't have been sorted out somehow between DE and Capcom during development. I might still get the collection in the future, the extra features sound nice. But not for now. Too many excuses being made. If M2 handled the collection this thread wouldn't even exist.

Ravidrath

Yeah, I think they set expectation too high on the quality of these releases.

It's not perfect, but it is a working product. And it works far better than a lot of major releases do at launch, but the audience for this sort of thing, especially with the Criterion comparison, are going to react strongly to any compromises.

Looks like my 3ds LE is going back to Best Buy.

Sigh.

Not paying $45 for versions running worse than if I just powered them up on Retroarch.

Lynd7

Even if this collection has problems, hopefully they can do some more collections of games and improve a lot.

If they can eventually get up to an M2/Criterion level it'd be great for old games on modern systems.

leroidys

Still waiting on my copy, but honestly for $15 (digital) this still seems like a good deal. They really shouldn't have run around hyping this up as the criterion collection of videogames if they couldn't deliver though. This isn't a comment on the devs competency (exclusively), but also on the reality of their contract with Capcom.

Beartruck

Compared to anniversary edition on my xbox, which had major graphical glitches on Mega man 7 and 8, I'd say the collection runs just fine.

Pretty much. It's worth $15 regardless of its problems but the way the project was presented opened it up to lots of criticism.

I have never seen anyone who doesn't seem to like something as much as you don't like the MMLC yet still own what you're complaining about. Across multiple platforms. This makes less sense to me than some of the glitches that were missed.

While there are a few technical issues, half the complaints I've seen are issues that exist in the games themselves, such as slow down and flickering. I know it's common on this forum to say "NES GAMES RAN AT 60FPS" but those same people aren't mentioning the massive amounts of slowdown older NES games had when the system got taxed. That was par for the course across a lot of titles. ROMs don't tend to replicate those issues. This collection does.

Top Bottom