• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Xbox Live Down: Hackers Could Know Network ‘Off The Face of the Earth’

Gowans

Hackers behind attacks on Microsoft's Xbox Live network talk to Newsweek about their motivations.

Global outages to Xbox Live, Microsoft’s online gaming network for its Xbox console, have been caused by hackers who claim to be able to knock it “off the face of the earth.”

The group responsible, known as New World Hackers, has previously carried out attacks on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, as well as websites associated with the Islamic State militant group (ISIS). New World Hackers says the latest campaign is a form of protest against major corporations not having adequate security protection.

“Well, didn’t even take as long as I thought,” a member of New World Hackers tells Newsweek. “We attacked Xbox to protest. Major companies like this have massive servers but no real protection. We want Xbox to update the protection they have, which isn’t much.”

VPbpurx.png

The group says it is also carrying out the attacks as a demonstration of its power. New World Hackers has previously been credited with the largest distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack ever carried out, resulting in all of the BBC’s websites being taken offline for several hours in December 2015.

These claims have since been questioned, with security writer Zack Whittaker calling it “nothing more than a publicity stunt from a faceless group.” New World Hackers has dismissed the idea that it was simply for the sake of attention seeking, instead stating that the BBC attack was a test of its capabilities.

“[The Xbox attacks] also prove we do have as much power as we say we do, going out to the doubters,” the New World Hackers member says. “[We could] honestly knock Xbox off the face of the Earth.”

New World Hackers also claimed responsibility for attacks on the Xbox Live network in January, resulting in thousands of users taking to social media to complain of connection problems.

Perhaps the most high profile of those affected was the rapper Snoop Dogg, who took to Instagram to berate Microsoft founder Bill Gates. He said: “What the fuck is you doing Bill Gates? Fix yo shit man.”

Following the most recent attacks, Microsoft said in a statement: “We’re aware of the issue and our team is working hard to fix things as quickly as possible.”

Headline & Source: http://europe.newsweek.com/xbox-live-down-hackers-offline-network-microsoft-hackers-429452?rm=eu

The Flash

Banned
“We attacked Xbox to protest. Major companies like this have massive servers but no real protection. We want Xbox to update the protection they have, which isn’t much.”

Oh thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

Akronis

"rah rah rah rah security"

Proceeds to use a method of attack that really can't be mitigated with security.

lol

having smart routers and switches dump the traffic to holes is a thing, although they can be overwhelmed with a large enough attack

They should really try harder because I was able to play Rocket League online all of last night and I've been on my Xbox all day without any issue either

DDOSing websites doesn't take any great knowledge or skill, nor does it illustrate any specific security issues. These guys are full of horseshit.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So they could knock Xbox Live off the face of the Earth? But yet only half of the US is offline? Oh. Okay

Astrates

Their comments about pushing for better security would be more believable if their tweet didn't say "It's about time XBOX dies".

That doesn't sound like you campaigning.

L Thammy

The group responsible, known as New World Hackers, has previously carried out attacks on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, as well as websites associated with the Islamic State militant group (ISIS).

I wouldn't think that Xbox would be on the same level as these two.

I wasnt able to sign in for 30 minutes, and then i was back on watching Netflix.

Though I really dont think neogaf should be spreading the "publicity" for these type of people. Just ignore it. Plus its already over and done with.

joecanada

Oh shit I should removr my credit card info

I kept mine off of PSN after the sony hack, tried for my 360 around the same time, I tried to remove it , wouldn't let me, kept saying needed new valid card...... phoned and they said you need a valid credit card on account. xbl cancelled. 360 sold.
having said that there's no evidence this is a real hack.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
Hackers....DDOS

Im done

oh and i just turned my pc on to watch netflix instead last night. Went to bed and xbl was up in the morning.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They should really try harder because I was able to play Rocket League online all of last night and I've been on my Xbox all day without any issue either

Yeah they dont seem to be good at what they're doing because i havent had issues outside a minor one yesterday.

Zedox

Now I await the hackers to hack the people who hack things like LIVE so they can understand true security. Maybe I should do it. Nah, I look at code enough. But seriously, if there's a vulnerability in a system, you contact them to make them aware and give them the patch (if you truly care for security). You don't shut them down. Peasants.

EDIT: And I meant actual hacking...not DDoS-ing.

I'm still online, but I tried to buy The Walking Dead Michonne and it never downloaded, but I have the license. So it looks like they took out the purchasing powers at least on my end. (Even if I go to the store page it asks me to buy it again.)

weekev

Banned
So it's basically using DDOS as a job application and hoping some middle management schmuck thinks they are credible and hire them to design a new security system.

W.S.

I'm still online, but I tried to buy The Walking Dead Michonne and it never downloaded, but I have the license. So it looks like they took out the purchasing powers at least on my end. (Even if I go to the store page it asks me to buy it again.)
I had that issue with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Crimson Dragon, just call Xbox support so that they refund you the money.

Usually they'll try to walk you through some troubleshooting like power cycling the console and clearing out some cache processes but it never works, at least for me so it usually ends up in a refund.

You can try repurchasing them another time though and hope the issue gets fixed.

Walpurgis

Banned
Perhaps the most high profile of those affected was the rapper Snoop Dogg, who took to Instagram to berate Microsoft founder Bill Gates. He said: “What the fuck is you doing Bill Gates? Fix yo shit man.”
LMAO

GHG

Now I await the hackers to hack the people who hack things like LIVE so they can understand true security. Maybe I should do it. Nah, I look at code enough. But seriously, if there's a vulnerability in a system, you contact them to make them aware and give them the patch (if you truly care for security). You don't shut them down. Peasants.

Yep.

You can even charge good money for doing it that way as well.

Ah well, these kids are naive, they will live and learn.

papo

hmm it's curious how this pieces of trash always mess with relatively "stupid" stuff, but never hack or attack anything relatively close to being important or meaningful in way where they are actually looking out for the people...not just being you know stupid assholes in their mommy's basement looking for empty internet glory.

Top Bottom