• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Xbox Live Down: Hackers Could Know Network ‘Off The Face of the Earth’

Dio

Banned
Excuse my ignorance please.. Is it even possible for MS to prevent attacks like this?
It's just flooding Microsoft's servers with stuff until it goes down. Increasing their load capacity just means they flood it more.

Basically no, it's not fully preventable for any server on the planet as long as it's connected to the internet.

no1dead

Banned
Lmao "hackers" they are doing "justice" yet they call out keemstar.

Fucking love kids with their mothers credit cards.

What I love is they are not doing anything you can crash any and every server by filling it up with enough packets. There is very little to none in security involved with this.

shandy706

I wish performing DDOS'ing had the side-effects of some incurable disease.

Just because your parents won't get you a console or you can't afford it, doesn't mean you should use your allotted time on your parent's PC to ruin other people's fun.

Raylan

Banned
In before "We are paying for this. So get better servers!!!1! posts.

But seriously, don't give these kiddies attention. The whole thing is sad/annoying enough.

Akronis

Excuse my ignorance please.. Is it even possible for MS to prevent attacks like this?

You can but you need an insurmountable number of enterprise class routers and switches that can identify bad traffic and discard it while maintaining normal load.

so pretty much no :p

AlexMogil

Yes and then no. If it was just DDOS there are protections that can be done waaay upstream but then it gets indiscernible from legitimate traffic and you have a self-created downtime in essence.

Microsoft is still to blame for bad security on operating systems and you also have to look at the very insecure routers consumers are sold - these two areas are the primary instruments of this type of traffic. New World Hackers are just the conductors.

bidguy

Banned
wow thank god i dont game right now. im gonna be pretty fucking pissed if this happens again when dark souls 3 releases ...

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

No. But it's possible for them to react faster. Anyway, these are no hackers, these are script kiddies that got their hands on a bot network. Likely paid for it. Just a bunch of dumb teens.

STEaMkb

They should really try harder because I was able to play Rocket League online all of last night and I've been on my Xbox all day without any issue either

Xbox Live has just experienced one of its worst performing weeks ever, and you're taking the "wait, something happened?" approach to damage control. lol ok.

More sensible to acknowledge a problem that has inconvenienced a significant number of users, even if it's out of Microsoft's hands, than to go the "bring it on" route.

JP

I kept getting a fault message while trying to watch a blu-ray last night as it said Xbox Live was down. It's ridiculous that it would't let me watch it, never heard of that before.

Hugstable

Banned
oh yay.... I hope my credit card info is safe and protected, that's all I really worry about.

Also for those who can't launch their games due to Xbox Live being down, you need to go into the settings and check the "Go Offline" setting, or else it won't launch any game, whether it's online oriented or not. Weird that it's like that, but it helped earlier in the year when Xbox live was down and I was wanting to play.

They haven't done shit. They are just taking credit for something that hasn't happened.

This is how I see it, they never usually boast before it happens, they just claim they did it after the fact. Like ISIL claiming responsibility for every act of terror, even the ones that had fuck all to do with them.

How about you stop doing attacks like this because you're the only ones doing attacks like this to try and prove a point about yourselves doing attacks like this when there is no reason for attacks like this.

That hurt to type out.

I kept getting a fault message while trying to watch a blu-ray last night as it said Xbox Live was down. It's ridiculous that it would't let me watch it, never heard of that before.

So that's why my movie kept getting kicked to the dashboard. I also had friends on Destiny that couldn't play TTK content even though they bought it.

Network security and network bandwidth are two different things. These 'hackers' are dabbling with the latter.

Now, if they want to 'hack' in and release private info and whatnot, that might achieve their goals, but this is just silly.

What's funny is although I haven't done very much gaming as of late, I've been able to connect to Xbox live rather easily for days now, to the point I didn't even know this "outage" was taking place.

If someone hacks a server, and nobody is around to take notice, did the hack even occur?

morpix

"Hackers". Fucking scrubs.

Yup. DDoS =/= Hacking in the slightest. I wish the media made that clear.
A better headline would be:
Some kids found LoIC and used hivemind mode and botnets to overflow XBL services. Anyone with Google can do it, but 99% of us aren't massive assholes.

adj_noun

Sometimes I wonder what the news headlines would be like if we did the "don't give them attention!" thing.

MYSTERIOUS FORCE TAKES XBOX LIVE OFFLINE, POLTERGEISTS NOT YET RULED OUT SAYS MICROSOFT INSIDER

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yes...more data centres. That's why the last time this happened it only lasted for 50 minutes, because they shifted to other data centres.
Maybe now they are DDOSing those other centres as well.

iMax

Yes...more data centres. That's why the last time this happened it only lasted for 50 minutes, because they shifted to other data centres.
Maybe now they are DDOSing those other centres as well.

What happened to "more than 300,000 servers"? I thought the whole point about Microsoft Cloud was they were able to spin up capacity as and when required?

Steejee

It depends.

One easy way to (D)DoS something is to find a resource intensive action on a server and pound it, like forum searches (hence why most forum searches have timers and minimum search lengths). So if MS has something they hadn't properly hardened against these sorts of hits, then they could correct that to reduce the risk.

However you can also DDoS something in a pretty brute force manner by basically just throwing enough shit at it to clog the tubes. This isn't as simplistic as doing a million requests for a image file, but similar general idea.

This instance is probably the latter case. You can't really *prevent* that sort of attack by yourself, but you can mitigate it and minimize the impact with sufficient data mirroring (MOAR SERVERS) and blocking the attacks as far upstream as you can.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol FBI is going to raid these cunts and put them in jail to rot for years. Thats what they fucking deserve.

Top Bottom