• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo releases modified full-year financial forecast (expects lower sales/profits)

Unison

They expect to make considerably less than before.

The explain the lower software and hardware sales on page 2.

Also the exchange rate is less favorable than they expected.

bluexy

From what I can tell, the yen has lost value in relation to the dollar and it will result in a not immaterial loss, so they've updated their forecast as a result.

So they revised 3DS hardware and software down and Wii and Wii U software up and are predicting a somewhat smaller revenue (with partial due to yen strengthening)

Richie

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the second page, but how odd is it that they expect to sell less Nintendo 3DS hardware in their revised forecast, yet aim for more software sold for both Wii and Wii U than previously expected?

EDIT: Lol post right above mine, so yeah, that's correct...In which case, how very odd, you'd think they'd trust the 3DS to pull through with all the Pokémon bundles and whatnot. Wii U I can see them being more confident on because Pokkén will benefit from the 20th anniversary hype, and there's Twilight Princess HD too, but what made them suddenly revise software sales for the freakin' Wii, and quite optimistically at that, to boot?

Nintendo Selects.

OH, right, right, that must be it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It was only a matter of when; surprised management didn't update their guidance at Q3.

That's a big slash though, operating income slashed by a third, and net income by half.

Bleak.

Edit: Good news though, Wii software sales forecast have increased by 75%!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the second page, but how odd is it that they expect to sell less Nintendo 3DS hardware in their revised forecast, yet aim for more software sold for both Wii and Wii U than previously expected?
Zelda? This is only a quarter report right?

84vhJpB.jpg

yoonshik

Nintendo Selects.

vinnygambini

Yen tanking was likely unexpected.

The company's forecast were going to be modified regardless of the yen tanking or not; it's much more pronounced though now, for sure.

Don't they hedge forex too in order to limit their impact? I mean, Nintendo seem much more affected than their Japanese peers on currency movement.

Edit: "As a result, we expect approximately 20.0 billion yen in foreign exchange losses to be reflected in non-operating expenses"

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
Despite what people have posted here the yen has strengthened on the back of volatile European markets forcing people into safe havens like Japan. A stronger yen means the value of USD and other foreign currency sales has limited effect and thus profit is impacted.

The updated forecast in sales is slightly down but not commensurate with the full impact on operating income meaning that there were some unforeseen expenses coming in (potentially impairment / write downs,

Vena

The company's forecast were going to be modified regardless of the yen tanking or not; it's much more pronounced though now, for sure.

Don't they hedge forex too in order to limit their impact? I mean, Nintendo seem much more affected than their Japanese peers on currency movement.

Oh they were certainly going to be modified down, I was speaking on the relative severity and why now. Weak holiday for the 3DS really hurt them.

They hedge but they also play currency change for higher revenue where they can. That pendulum swings both ways.

That said for a year like it and the coming one,it will be interesting if they maintain profitability. Also I think they may be doing write downs and other costs reporting here. Potentially future costs.

Reallink

Obviously means Plan B is a go. NX has been transitioned to the 8 teraflop loss leader model with Nintendo ON VR packed in.

vinnygambini

Also I think they may be doing write downs and other costs reporting here.

The only potential asset I see Nintendo writing down are the developments done in QOL prior to Iwata's death.

I think there was a $100M investment done in the technology space back in 2014? Duno.

Pocks

Wii and Wii U sales up? Might be Nintendo Selects. Might be that NX is delayed until next year, so Zelda Wii U will get some more sales.

.. nahhh

ramparter

Banned
It's too early, I shouldn't be posting...
original post below
I'm afraid this means NX will be delayed, or at least it's manufacturing will be delayed meaning less console shipments than earlier expectatons.

I don't get it. Just release the new Pokemon games in other platforms and earn millions :p

Interesting that last quarter they were practically meeting their forecasts except for net sales and now they are scaling it down. There must be some large write down or something for this quarter.
Also, looking at the Wii and Wii U software sales, it makes a lot of sense why they would move them up seeing how Wii software sales were 6.18 million for the year and Wii U were 22.62 million for the year. Pokken and TPHD should pretty easily make 3.5-4 million and the remainder should be covered by tail sales from Splatoon ,Mario Maker and Mario Tennis

Wii and Wii U sales up? Might be Nintendo Selects. Might be that NX is delayed until next year, so Zelda Wii U will get some more sales.

.. nahhh

I'm afraid this means NX will be delayed, or at least it's manufacturing will be delayed meaning less console shipments than earlier expectatons.

I don't get it. Just release the new Pokemon games in other platforms and earn millions :p
The NX is not going to be released next month. Why would a forecast for a year ending in a month be relevant particularly relevant for a console that is going to be released in at least 6 months.

Vena

The only potential asset I see Nintendo writing down are the developments done in QOL prior to Iwata's death.

I think there was a $100M investment done in the technology space back in 2014? Duno.

Dunno. The change is pretty drastic which makes me think major right down now, maybe to have a better looking next year on the heels of NX.

They weren't that far off expectations previously... Doesn't add up.

ramparter

Banned
The NX is not going to be released next month. Why would a forecast for a year ending in a month be relevant particularly relevant for a console that is going to be released in at least 6 months.

OK I feel realy stupid right now, why did I even assume was talking about next year....

JeffGrubb

Would this include losses due to next gen development? R & D etc. I have no real idea

I think those were always included in the guidance.

Story is basically this:

• Exchange rate is tough for Japanese yen
  • 1M fewer 3DSes sold than predicted.
  • 9 million fewer 3DS games sold.
  • Wii U and Wii software up a little, but not enough to make a difference.
  • Lowering revenue expectations by 12.2 percent

crinale

Edit: Nintendo lowered operational income expectation by 34%.

Thank you Syfadious for pointing out.

Edit2: Now lowering operating income by 34% from expectation does not look good at all.

jariw

So they revised 3DS hardware and software down and Wii and Wii U software up and are predicting a somewhat smaller revenue (with partial due to yen weakening)

Lowering the expected 3DS HW and SW numbers, while increasing the expected Wii U software numbers seems identical to what they did one year ago, but IIRC it was adjusted already in the quarterly report.

Bad enough when you dont meet sales expecation but the added kick of converting all profits into yen when it's down must suck.

How do other companies tend to get around stuff like this? I know there is a way for corporations to hold money outside the country that is often cited as a tax loophole no? I'm so out of my depth, but curious.

Crema

Much movement in the share price? I imagine the longer term investors have gotten used to Nintendo's optimistic outlooks and won't be too disturbed by this.

crinale

This may be the another reason Nintendo is reluctant to make more WiiU units so they can avoid that eating into their current profit.

Didn't they say last year they expected a huge profit with NX sales? They expected to sell a lot of it. I recall something like that.

Eolz

The cost could be linked to having to produce wiius in japan again too...
But seriously, I don't think Kimishima will have too many difficulties dealing with the investors this year/at next meeting.
Will be harder once miitomo is released for more than a month and once they announce NX.
At least it will be harder for them to not talk about it this time, with even them acknowledging the 3DS is dying.

scamander

Banned
Bad enough when you dont meet sales expecation but the added kick of converting all profits into yen when it's down must suck.

It's the opposite. The low yen kept them afloat the last few years, because if you convert the earnings from foreign markets into yen, you get obviously more of it, when it's relatively weak. Now the value of the yen is rising, which is the whole problem.

fm37bcev.png

jahasaja

EDIT: Lol post right above mine, so yeah, that's correct...In which case, how very odd, you'd think they'd trust the 3DS to pull through with all the Pokémon bundles and whatnot. Wii U I can see them being more confident on because Pokkén will benefit from the 20th anniversary hype, and there's Twilight Princess HD too, but what made them suddenly revise software sales for the freakin' Wii, and quite optimistically at that, to boot?

OH, right, right, that must be it.

It has nothing to do with how popular the Wii U is compared to the 3DS in terms of sales but rather how much they expected to sell. Since the financial year is coming to an end they now know if their previous estimates was correct or not.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
The yen has dropped like a rock in the past few days. Operating income forecast slashed by a third, net income per share halved.
Incorrect.

The Yen has strengthened against the USD in recent weeks as investors look for safe havens because central banks, Japan included experiment with negative interest rates.

As Nintendo books considerable sales from the US and Europe this means less revenue in JPY than expected. That and the Wii U continuing to drop off a cliff doesn't help. Hopefully NX and their mobile efforts will help in the coming years.

Top Bottom