• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG (aka greatest RPG of all time) is 20 years old

Rymuth

2000px-Super_Mario_RPG.svg.png
My first RPG!

That's right, forget your Earthbounds and your Final Fantasy VIs. My first foray into the RPG genre was with this magnifecent little gem. I remember reading about it from an issue of Nintendo Power and my eyes jutted out when I kept reading things like 'Go talk to x then go to talk y'. A game about Mario where goes to talk to people? My mind done blown, son. Raced to one of the two shops that sold videogames back then (was a different time) and the game had sold out. I was devastated. Don't know how many months it took but when they restocked it. Played it three times that year, twice on my own and once with my sister.

Super-Mario-RPG1.jpg

It was also my first SNES game that came in this cartridge, so I felt like I had won the lottery or something. People keep hankering for a new Chrono Trigger well, Super Mario was *my* Chrono Trigger - the result of all the stars (pun intended) aligning just right. Squaresoft in its heyday + Nintendo. It was magic

The two Paper Marios are amazing but I don't see them as successors to this game (that goes for Mario & Luigi as well)-

I want a true sequel~

Some musical selection

Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure

Got a Star Piece <-- still hum this to this day
Still, the road is full of dangers

Share your love for this game and come tell us why Geno is your favorite character.
200px-Geno_SMRPG.gif

What I would give for a true sequel to this game. I know it's farfetched, but I hope Square and Nintendo team up for an NX sequel.

Nanashrew

Banned
My very first RPG. Still love everything about the game. Geno was cool and all but nothing topped Bowser for me, especially his haiku.

Feep

Banned
There are games that I love *more* than Super Mario RPG. But for whatever reason, I *remember* the night I got this game, the first two hours before I had to go to bed, in extreme detail. I was 9.

It was just so *fun*. Everything about it. Whimsical, glorious fun. Very few games, even back then, *really* embraced that kind of spirit.

Krejlooc

Banned
definitely the best RPG of the mario series at least. I fucking love this game. It's flawless. I think the pacing and length is just right - not too short, not too long. I love the graphics, the control, the gameplay. I thought the extra hits battle system was engaging. But more to the point, it's just fun. It feels like a Mario game, somehow, while still feeling like an RPG. It's just a lot of fun, like it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Terrific, terrific game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One of my favorite games of all time.

I loved this game. I love this game. This game is amazing and anyone who likes Mario and/or Final Fantasy should play it. I've replayed this game probably over ten times in my life and I just did it again recently. Why do I love it so much? Nostalgia, mostly, since the game hasn't aged particularly well, what with its dated 90's RPG mechanics. But at the time? It was a powerhouse, not only because it's a fine RPG in its own right, but because it was the first to take Mario and put him in a game with a real narrative. I don't think anybody could have seen this game coming, especially because the king of RPGs, Squaresoft, is the one who made it. But it's not all nostalgia. There's a few reasons I keep coming back to this game in particular.

-Yoko Shimomura is at her finest here. Every track represents the cheerfulness and whimsy of Mario fused together with the fantastical, grand scope of an RPG.

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Koopa Castle

The Road is Full of Dangers

Grandpa and the Delightful Tadpoles

Where am I Going?

Fight Against Smithy

-The game oozes charm and atmosphere.

-The timed attacks aren't innovative by today's standards, but back then they were a pretty big thing, and they're still fun to use. Timing spells is still kind of awkward, but it's extremely satisfying to time something right in this game. That extra clunk from Mario's shells, the extra hit from his hammer, Bowser's spike chain remaining in the enemy and protruding its spikes to hit them again and again... you feel like your extra input has done something. I think the sound effects really make it work.

-Beginning the game with a fight against Bowser, only to have him usurped by a greater evil, is great. The Mario and Luigi RPGs play off similar concepts, but never to the extent seen here. Bowser later becomes a full fledged party member in order to take back what Smithy and his gang stole. Bowser's Inside Story played off the playable Bowser concept, but never again has he actually stood side by side with Mario until the very end of the game.

-Smithy's gang has such a presence throughout the game. From the time you're ousted from Bowser's Keep, to the dark and ominous arrow-infested Rose Town, to the strange goings-on in the Moleville Mines, all the way up until the end of the game, you feel Smithy's presence in the world. Bowser seems like a one-note villain compared to him. The Final Fantasy esque "journey to save the world" trope really bleeds into the way this game is set up, and seeing something like that in the Marioverse is so awesome.

-Geno is in this game. The world is so at risk that a being from a higher plane comes down to assist Mario. I absolutely loved his story as a kid, although nowadays I often think they could have explored it more in depth.

-The art style is great. I love the spritework, and, like the game does with its music, the settings are usually creative and a nice blend between fantasy tropes and the weirdness of the Mario world.

mariorpg.jpg

I want a real Super Mario RPG 2. Until that happens, though, this game will always be up there as one of the best.

Happy anniversary, SMRPG.

Did you read everyone's mind with Mallow tho

Playing it through as a kid, for hours I missed the fact that it was inspecting enemies' health, so I thought that the number popup was how much damage it was doing, or would have done if the attack was timed right or something.

oni-link

How does this compare with the first two Paper Mario games? Loved them both but never played this, might pick it up on the VC at some point

GenG3000

3DS VC release when?? I bought an USA SNES model just for it. I still have the cartridge around here but I don't really feel like unboxing it and plugging it right now.

Oh, and yes - excellent game all around, even if the following Mario RPG are better from the gameplay perspective.

Goo

Love this game so much. Actually played through it last year. The soundtrack is amazing and bowser suddenly became a much deeper character in the Mario universe because of this game.

Krejlooc

Banned
Love this game so much. Actually played through it last year. The soundtrack is amazing and bowser suddenly became a much deeper character in the Mario universe because of this game.

I wish Wario would have been in the game given how much characterization Bowser got. Wario + Mario RPG writing would have been incredible. Especially since much of Wario's character hadn't been defined at that point.

Super Mario RPG one of those games that I simultaneously like and dislike at the same time. It is a good entry level RPG that veterans can keep interesting by avoiding encounters and going for low level runs but at the same time it has a load of original characters that feel really out of place in the Mario Universe and the pre-rendered graphics can look really bad.

It is also a shame the translation is is rather iffy in places where established Mario characters are given different names just because.

I wish Wario would have been in the game given how much characterization Bowser got. Wario + Mario RPG writing would have been incredible. Especially since much of Wario's character hadn't been defined at that point.
I still don't get why Booster was even a thing. A lot of his characteristics could easily be Wario.

There is a theory that Booster is Foreman Spike (but I thought that was Waluigi :p or at least Waluigi is a fan) as the Japanese names are Bukki and Burakki, respectively.

Zalman

It's actually far from my favorite Mario RPG. I'd put Paper Mario 1, TTYD, Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story above it. Still a solid game though.

poodaddy

This one busted my RPG cherry too OP, though I disagree that it's the best though it's certainly great. Chrono Trigger takes that crown for me, but on to the important question; why isn't this on NOA e shop yet? I mean does Nintendo hate money? I'd buy this in -6 seconds if it hit Wii U or n3ds and I'd beat my friends with kendo sticks and frozen tuna until they bought it too. Come on Nintendo....help me beat my friends with frozen seafood to stimulate e shop sales.

Nanashrew

Banned
How long is the game? I'm thinking it might look pretty good on the Wii U gamepad
mm, maybe about the same length as Link to the Past. Not too long, not over in a few hours.

Yeah, I think it's roughly within the same ballpark. It's not too long that it overstays its welcome but it's not too short either. The pacing is actually done very well. Level cap is also 30, but I find that to be a good thing and I feel also helps keep the game so well paced because you never really feel that much under or over leveled as you progress.

TriAceJP

Based Shimomura.

My grandmother got the game used with the strategy guide for like $20 at Pawn shop. She wasn't into the RPG stuff (she saw Mario, and she loves (traditional) Mario games) so she passed it on to me. I had no idea it existed until she dropped it on me. I was confused and mystified.

This game has charm, man. Probably the most charm in an RPG, maybe beating out Earthbound. It's an amazing ride that is both very friendly towards newcomers, but also has some serious challenge if you go looking for it. The new characters were awesome and it's a shame so few of them have come back. Please lick my salty tears away ;-;

Plus, I got to slap the shit out of enemies with Peach. GOAT right there, kiddos.

That shell minigame rules.

Nanashrew

Banned
Does the game have timed action commands in battle similar to its successors?

Yes. Pressing a button at the right time when an attack comes at you can give you a chance to block and take less damage. Also your attacks have you timing inputs, rapidly tapping buttons for maximum damage, etc. They're not as deep as something like Mario & Luigi, so take it like the very earliest form.

EDIT: Also, if you're really good with the ultra jump and timing inputs, you can go infinitely or just enough to kill a boss in one turn. That takes some crazy skill though.

I could never play the Yoshi race mini game right. I would just brute force it and hope for the best.

And the other music based part with the tadpoles. I'm just not musically inclined.

Great game though. It was my first RPG too and I got stuck in the beginning because I didn't know how to talk to toad.

OmegaFax

Super Mario RPG is my game of all time. It was my first RPG. I had a friend who played the Japanese version when it was released. Still have my original cartridge that my parents paid $70 for at a TRU that summer.

PaulBizkit

My favorite game of all time. I love everything about SMRPG:

the combat: i don't know why everybody says "timed hits are outdated", i think it's a more modern mechanic than just selecting ATTACK and watching a little animation. Stick of Truth handles it magnificiently.

the plot: a mario game with plot and dialogue! All the mini stories of the characters you meet along the way are great too. I loved that, after beating the Czar Dragon and reaching the sixth star, the music stops and the Axem Rangers appear.

the characters: bowser joining your party was unbelievable, geno as a whole; mallow is cool too but he was like a comic relief character most of the times.

I didnt know that much english the first time i played this game (i was like 9) so i got stuck in the Marrymore lobby. I thought I did something wrong and started the game. Turns out i had to time my running with the shyguys so we could barge in.

Cool moments:

Geno waking up at night and saving mario from Bowyer's arrow

Bowser joining your party

Axem Rangers cut the Star Obtained Jingle

Completing Toadofsky's songs and receiving the special cards

Reading everybody's wishes at Star Hill.

Ex-employee goomba starts a family at Monstro Town. The conversation with bowser is very cool.

poodaddy

My favorite game of all time. I love everything about SMRPG:

the combat: i don't know why everybody says "timed hits are outdated", i think it's a more modern mechanic than just selecting ATTACK and watching a little animation. Stick of Truth handles it magnificiently.

the plot: a mario game with plot and dialogue! All the mini stories of the characters you meet along the way are great too. I loved that, after beating the Czar Dragon and reaching the sixth star, the music stops and the Axem Rangers appear.

the characters: bowser joining your party was unbelievable, geno as a whole; mallow is cool too but he was like a comic relief character most of the times.

I didnt know that much english the first time i played this game (i was like 9) so i got stuck in the Marrymore lobby. I thought I did something wrong and started the game. Turns out i had to time my running with the shyguys so we could barge in.

Cool moments:

Geno waking up at night and saving mario from Bowyer's arrow

Bowser joining your party

Axem Rangers cut the Star Obtained Jingle

Completing Toadofsky's songs and receiving the special cards

Reading everybody's wishes at Star Hill.

Ex-employee goomba starts a family at Monstro Town. The conversation with bowser is very cool.

Yo I won't lie man, the Monstro Town scene and the Star Hill scene got me right in the feels. Hell it does even now just remembering it. It hits hard man. The game had a warmth to it that the other Mario RPG's just lacked. They're great games, but they're just so damn goofy while SMRPG had some really touching stuff.

Piscus

This one busted my RPG cherry too OP, though I disagree that it's the best though it's certainly great. Chrono Trigger takes that crown for me, but on to the important question; why isn't this on NOA e shop yet? I mean does Nintendo hate money? I'd buy this in -6 seconds if it hit Wii U or n3ds and I'd beat my friends with kendo sticks and frozen tuna until they bought it too. Come on Nintendo....help me beat my friends with frozen seafood to stimulate e shop sales.

That one is actually on Square Enix, not Nintendo.

edit: Why is this out on Wii U in EU, but not NA or JP? And why has Square Enix only released ONE title for the Wii U's Virtual Console service in NA??

I hope this title makes it out on the n3DS SNES VC. Or is it perhaps one of those special chip games where it probably won't make it?

dan2026

I can't believe this never came out in Europe. I would of loved it as a kid.
Never played it til I was an adult and emulated it.

Violet_0

Banned
it's a fine game, but at the same time simplistic and highly overrated. It doesn't excel at anything nor does it do anything better than other RPGs, even just the Mario games. The Paper Mario series, TTYD and SPM (yes, that one) in particular, has sharp writing and innovative scenarios outside of the relatively basic combat system that make it memorable. SMRPG has solid game design and, uh, Geno I guess

I'd seen Dragon Warrior before, but SMRPG was my first real experience with RPGs and lead me down dark path of renting every game with the words square soft on the box(somehow I still missed the FF games for a few more years though). It is by far my favorite SMRPG game. Hell, its my favorite Mario game. I wish they took this system and expanded on it instead of making time hits the be all and end all of the battle system. Geno was the shit when I was in middle school, to bad we will never see him or a real mario rpg again(hell from the looks of it, we won't see a real paper mario rpg again).

Zach

TIL Fargo came out one day before Super Mario RPG.

Totally unrelated, but whatever.

As for Super Mario RPG being the best RPG, I prefer Paper Mario and Chrono Trigger myself. But Super Mario RPG is definitely worth a playthrough. Outside of some awkward platforming, it was a delight.

Top Bottom