• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Resident Evil 3: NEMESIS

Neiteio

“If. I. TURN. In-to a zom-bie.

I want your WEEERD.

Thatyouwillkillme.”

— Jill Valentine

re3-box01rvpej.jpg

Rest in pieces, Raccoon City!

Following my first play-through of RE2, I immediately started playing RE3. This game seems a bit underrated in the grand scheme of things, but I have to say, it’s quickly become one of my favorites. From start to finish, it’s one hell of a ride!

The first half — Uptown and Downtown — is one of my favorite experiences in the series. I was floored by the atmosphere and attention to detail.

Raccoon City is divided into blocks and feels sprawling in scope, with a maze-like network of streets and alleyways that lead to various buildings. There are warehouses, stores, a gas station, a garage, a diner, a substation, the local newspaper, City Hall, even a return trip to the Police Department. The player is funneled in certain directions by roadblocks that make perfect sense in context — burning wrecks, abandoned vehicles in gridlock traffic, etc. The streets glitter with shattered glass; alleyways are piled high with rubble and rubbish; and fires rage out of control. Each scene is composed with exacting detail, and the pre-rendered backdrops feel alive with flickering signs, rotating fans, dripping pipes, sparking wires — one area even has a 3D window where you can glimpse a zombie inside. In terms of detail, it’s on REmake’s level.

Many of the roads and alleyways are forked paths that loop around on themselves, which makes the linear layout feel open and complex. But the best part is how the city truly feels like it’s overrun with the living dead. New enemies are continually introduced in creative ways — leaping out of fires, bursting through storefront windows, and crawling out of cars. Even areas you’ve cleared out multiple times won’t stay empty for long. A return trip to an earlier area might reveal enormous flea-like BOWs crawling on the walls, or zombies feasting on flesh. And the game doesn’t hesitate to throw a LOT of enemies at you, with entire hordes being a routine sight. RE3 may have the most convincing depiction of the zombie apocalypse in the entire series.

Thankfully, your character is also more capable, with the introduction of the 180-degree quick turn, and a new dodge mechanic where you nimbly sidestep enemies by aiming and tapping the shoot button right before they attack. You can also auto-target red barrels, nitrogen pipes and other environmental hazards by holding R2 — the perfect way to clear out a crowd with a single shot.

Another addition is gunpowder, which comes in three types: A, B and C. You can mix these in different quantities and then run them through an item called the Reloader to create different amounts of handgun bullets, shotgun shells and more. You can also mix them with grenades to create flame rounds, freeze rounds, acid rounds, etc. There are many combinations! With this crafting system you can create more ammo for weaker weapons, less ammo for stronger weapons, or a mix of the two, changing your strategies each play-through.

Speaking of which, RE3 is variable. The game has only one scenario, but that one scenario plays out in many different ways. The puzzle solutions, enemy arrangements and item locations are semi-randomized, so you can’t mindlessly go through the motions on subsequent play-throughs. There will still be an element of the unknown. And a number of cutscenes, NPC moments and dialogue can change, as well. I hear one cutscene has upwards of six variants!

Part of this is tied to the new “decision moments” where the screen turns black and white, and the player is prompted to choose one of two options. These occur during moments of crisis. Your choices can change the areas you explore and what you find there. For example, one choice halfway through the game will determine the direction from which you enter the chapel clocktower — a mansion-like area in the north end of town that you reach by trolley. You can also increase the number of boss fights by choosing to fight Nemesis instead of running away.

Nemesis can appear anywhere at any time. Depending on how you play, you’ll run into him at different times in different places. Unlike Mr. X in RE2, Nemesis can follow you from one area to the next, both indoors and outdoors. He’ll attempt to grab you and throw you to the ground, or impale you through the head with his tentacle. He’ll sprint toward you with amazing speed, and deftly sidestep your attacks. Sometimes he’ll even pack heat of his own, toting an RPG he fires at will. Running past Marvin’s office at the RPD and seeing a rocket whiz past my head was quite a surprise!

There are 13 potential encounters in all. Only a few are mandatory fights. The others will reward you with healing items and custom parts for your weapons if you take the time to fight him. Personally, I relish the chase scenes, running from one end of the map to the other, trying to shake him off my trail. When you hear him bellow “STARS” and the ominous music starts playing, you know things are about to get real. By the end of the game, I was intimately familiar with Nemesis. He was more than a mere boss; he was a true foe, and it felt personal. Which made the events of the game’s final two battles — and the game’s final decision — all the more satisfying…

The game, in general, is significantly harder and scarier than RE2. In terms of challenge and fright factor, I’d say it’s somewhere between RE2 (low) and REmake (high). I felt like I was conservative with how often I saved, but I still only had five or six ribbons at a time — about half of what I had in RE2, a game where I saved twice as often. Green herbs were also hard to come by. Funny enough, there was a surplus of red herbs in my inventory. It’s as though the game was taunting me! I spent entire swathes of the game hobbling along, clutching my side, ready to expend my remaining shotgun shells with extreme prejudice, since I couldn’t afford to take another hit.

I’ve heard some say RE3 is short, and I imagine it is if you know what you’re doing. But on this blind play-through, it took me 14.5 hours. (Even longer if you count restarting from an earlier save when I realized I wasted half of my supplies on an optional fight!) By comparison, RE2 took me 13 hours between Claire A and Leon B.

Earlier, I gushed about Uptown and Downtown. I’d also like to praise the later areas, especially the chapel clocktower with its dignified air and lavish interior, and the park in the pouring rain, with its mix of marshland and woods, and the fight against the giant worm in the cemetery sinkhole. Along with the hospital and factory, there were some neat moments here. I enjoyed puzzles like the cog-shifting fountain in the park, and the wavelength adjustment in the factory. Personally, I think the hospital could’ve been expanded upon, but it was a nice change of pace controlling Carlos with his limited weapons. I used up all his ammo fighting the different types of Hunters in the hospital, making it a short but harrowing experience! Also, a note about the sound design in the park: Hearing the wind rustling in the trees, the rain on the surface of the pond, the frogs croaking and crickets chirping made me feel like I was there. :)

All in all, RE3 is a great companion piece to RE2. Set before and after the events of that game, RE3 provides a deeper look into the Raccoon City Incident and really tests your survival skills.

Comparing the two, I’d say RE2 is a smoother and more empowering experience where ammo, herbs and ink ribbons are plentiful, and the map and enemies are more predictable, which makes for a less stressful game, and one that is perhaps more fun to pick up and play. But RE3 is immensely satisfying if you want something a bit more unpredictable and challenging. It’s a game that throws anything and everything at the player, but it’s fair and balanced, well-paced and well-designed.

Definitely play this game! RE3 is a classic, and a perfect companion piece to RE2. I see them as two halves of a greater whole — “The Raccoon City Saga,” if you would. Hopefully we’ll see RE3 remade, like RE2. The game deserves it — and I think Nemesis would do well with YouTube personalities who like running from scary monsters. ;-)

”You want STARS? I’ll give you STARS!”

— Jill Valentine

In closing, here are some backdrops (minus effects like fire):

re3-shotej1atn.jpg

re3-shotfwvxby.jpg

re3-shotadjbdv.png

re3-shotbl6yja.png

re3-shotc91br2.png

re3-shotmuylfc.jpg

re3-shotdwvxsd.jpg

re3-shotnfeb4h.jpg

re3-shoti84zb3.jpg

re3-shotkqcywm.jpg

re3-shotj13ash.jpg

re3-shotl9czcs.jpg

re3-shotgz9ble.jpg

re3-shothfqbel.jpg

Ishida

Banned
This was actually the first Resident Evil game I ever played, and love it to this day. It's such an amazing experience with a truly spooky atmosphere.

Neiteio

Do you plan on doing one of these for Dino Crisis (assuming you haven't played it)?
Haven't played Dino Crisis. I'm intrigued, though. I recall Mikami branding it "panic horror." Sounds cool!

I was an N64 kid, so the entire PS1 library is pretty much new to me. :)

Soodanim

Gold Member
Despite how many times I've played this game, I can't think of the scene that has 6 variants. Which one is it?

An awesome experience only bested by the REmake in my book. It makes me so very happy to see someone praising the hell out of it.

Glad you liked it OP! It's a great end to the PS1 trilogy imo. Those three games really should be played as a big trilogy!

Where are those fairly high resolution backdrops from?! Is there a complete collection somewhere to download?

Oh, and you should check out Dino Crisis 1 + 2 next!

poodaddy

Love this game, and I still think it should just be remade along with RE2 and combined to form the same game. Resident Evil Raccoon City Remade, or something along those lines. They go so well together that they honestly feel like they should be part of the same game.

DrKelpo

Banned
I said it before and I say it again...

RE3 > RE2

In fact RE2 is the weakest of the first trilogy in my opinion.

But to stay on topic... Loved the game, amazing atmosphere and the nemesis attacks always got me to the edge of my seat.

poodaddy

RE3 > RE2

But to stay on topic... Loved the game, amazing atmosphere and the nemesis attacks always got me to the edge of my seat.

Actually I agree with you, but we'd get lynched in certain spots for this opinion. RE2 is amazing though for sure, but RE1 and 3 both beat it in many regards for me, though it's pretty obvious that RE2 had a lot more budget than 3 and as such it just seemed so much "bigger" at the time, much grander in scope.

RE3 > RE2

Never fear speaking the truth.

Mr_Zombie

Despite how many times I've played this game, I can't think of the scene that has 6 variants. Which one is it?

The only one I can think of is the conversation when Jill and Carlos split up after their first meeting, but that's only if you take into account both the press building and the restaurant variations.

And yes, RE3 is a great game with huge replay value. Even after I beat the game 7 times (to discover all epilogue files), on further playthroughs I was still discovering cut-scenes I haven't seen before.

I agree with you.
It's truly a great game and too often standing in the shadow of RE1 and 2.

I hope we will have a Re3 Remake down the line.

PS: Your RE Lttp are excellent.
It's a true pleasure reading them.

Dak'kon

Even though I did prefer RE2 (and REmake) I don't think the atmosphere and experience of walking through the ruined streets of Raccoon City at night. Thanks OP for the descriptions and pre-rendered backgrounds reminding me just how much detail is crammed into every screen. Smashed glass covering everything, the traffic cones and barriers which failed to stop the outbreak, even the dead person hanging out the front of the bus... The only game that surpasses the atmosphere is the Blade Runner game.

klee123

RE3 > RE2

I agree.

RE2 was amazing on release, but I enjoyed RE3 a lot more from a gameplay and options perspective.

Not sure if everyone noticed, but you know how normally the magnum is the most powerful normal weapon in the game? In RE3: nemesis that award goes to the Grenade Launcher with freeze rounds. It kills pretty much every non boss enemy in the game in one hit and takes less rounds to down the nemesis compared to the Magnum.

A pity the ammo type never returned again. Normally in my typical RE3 run I would save as much A and B powder to make like 60+ freeze rounds and pretty much walk over the normal game.

Neiteio

Something that really impressed me about RE2 and RE3 is there wasn't a single moment that felt tedious, and nothing overstayed its welcome. Everything flowed smoothly and stayed fresh throughout both games. I thought they would be clunky because they're PS1 games, but it turns out they play beautifully with impeccable pacing and smart balance.

RE2 and RE3 are like intricate lil' music boxes -- many different parts that click together seamlessly, like clockwork, to create a singular effect. It's the sense of delving into the darkness while fortifying yourself with limited resources, and performing a satisfying series of interconnected tasks, gradually peeling back more layers of the world and seeing how it all fits together.

Modern RE is great, but there's something special about the old-school classics.

Glad you liked it OP! It's a great end to the PS1 trilogy imo. Those three games really should be played as a big trilogy!

Where are those fairly high resolution backdrops from?! Is there a complete collection somewhere to download?

Oh, and you should check out Dino Crisis 1 + 2 next!
I pulled the screens from a variety of sources using Google Images. :)

Gave me one of my biggest jump-scares of all time. Above any from RE and RE2:
That damn zombie that pops out of a car in a narrow corridor.

Hellgardia

This was the first RE i played and it's the only one until today that managed to scare me a lot.

That jump scare on the police station when after you go down the stairs, Nemesis bursts through a window is carved in my memory...

Neiteio

In my new head canon, Jill and Carlos became waifu and husbando

Together they made beautiful babies that pick locks and have foxy accents

They also have a skittish pet cat they named Nemesis out of irony

RSB

Banned
Awesome game. Easily my third favorite of the classic RE games, after REmake and RE2. I have to agree with what you say about the "flow" of RE2 and RE3. They are just perfect in that regard. I guess that's what makes them so replayable (apart from being excellent games, of course)

I wonder if Capcom would consider doing a RE3 Remake if the RE2 Remake is succesful. I wouldn't complain, that's for sure (more classic RE is always good news)

Still my favorite Resident Evil. Played it recently and I had forgotton about a couple of Nemesis encounters. Got me good.

That's the REmake I want to see.

Kazuhira

This was actually the first Resident Evil game I ever played, and love it to this day. It's such an amazing experience with a truly spooky atmosphere.
Me too.
I really miss the urban setting from RE3,kinda tired of the isolated villages/facilities from the new games.

dh4niel

I played the first 2 but RE3 was the first one I really got into. I remember as a kid going to my older brother's house and him telling me he bought a new game. Took the plastic off the case and was hyped.

So glad you moved to RE3. Such an underrated gem of the franchise. And I liked it way way way more than Code Veronica which was getting all the fanfare from fans when they both came out.

I played this game while having the flu. I stayed home from work and played it in very long marathon sessions which I think helped enhance my attachment to this entry into the franchise. The Nemesis mechanic was so amazing.

By the end of the game, I was intimately familiar with Nemesis. He was more than a mere boss; he was a true foe, and it felt personal. Which made the events of the game’s final two battles — and the game’s final decision — all the more satisfying…
Exactly. There's no encounter or character like it. Even Wesker doesn't feel as personal or satisfying to defeat. Wesker was always so behind the scenes. Nemesis hounds your ass All game long. Makes the ending so rewarding

Ooccoo

Yea RE3 is great. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's better than RE2, but it's a wonderful experience. RE2 has systematic horror whilst RE3 is in-your-face horror IMO

killatopak

Gold Member
I probably finished this like bazillion times between my ps1, ps2, ps3 , psp, vita and pc.

NEMESIS is the best. Take him away from the game and it's not as good anymore.

I remember getting my day to take me into town after he got home from work to get this day 1. I loved RE1 and RE2 but this was the first one I actually finished. So much fun.

Ooccoo

I probably finished this like bazillion times between my ps1, ps2, ps3 , psp, vita and pc.

NEMESIS is the best. Take him away from the game and it's not as good anymore.

That's like saying remove the monster from Amnesia and it's not as good anymore. Of course since the Nemesis is integral to the gameplay/story.

Sayad

I feel like I missed a lot while playing this game, finished it in one sitting(goodbye more than 10 hours of video games a day days) and never went back, the only things I still remember from the game are Jill's outfit and Nemesis. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've finished RE1 more than 30 times.

RE3 is the best of the pre-RE4 games and, if it wasn't for RE4, I'd call it the best RE game period. RE2 and REmake are good and everything is better than that steamy pile of doo doo that is Code Veronica but RE3 has just that right mix of special sauce that defines the RE series for me. Nemesis himself is great. While I like Birkin's design more Nemesis plays a MUCH more active role in the game an is scarier for it.

Javier23

Banned
RE3 along with REmake are my favorite games in the franchise. RE2 is still better than anything else that came afterwards, but I never quite understood why people tend to like it best. It is short, incredibly easy and I'm not a fan of padding the game's length with the multiple scenarios. I far prefer a single, longer one. I also never really understood why people tend to see RE2 as the one with the bigger scope. It might have had the bigger budget, I really don't know about that; and RE3 might be slightly more linear, but it felt like a proper adventure taking you through so many different places all within or near Raccoon City. By comparison the RCPD HQ is nowhere near as interesting as the Spencer Mansion, and the sewers and the labs felt kinda small.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I really like RE3, but it disappoints me that I've finished it in under 3 hours and still got a C ranking without using First Aid Kits.
It's all because I still can't avoid zombies even with all the guides. Still that didn't stop me from buying the game on PS1 and Dreamcast.
I've bought it again on PSN to play it on Vita, so I'll definitely have a try with the dodging another time.

Neiteio

Not sure if everyone noticed, but you know how normally the magnum is the most powerful normal weapon in the game? In RE3: nemesis that award goes to the Grenade Launcher with freeze rounds. It kills pretty much every non boss enemy in the game in one hit and takes less rounds to down the nemesis compared to the Magnum.

A pity the ammo type never returned again. Normally in my typical RE3 run I would save as much A and B powder to make like 60+ freeze rounds and pretty much walk over the normal game.
Didn't realize the freeze rounds are so powerful! I'd like to try them on another play-through. :)

finley83

Banned
Great write-up again. There is so much to appreciate in these games, especially the meticulously crafted environments, which still stand up well over 15 years later.

It's strange to think that this game was seen as somewhat of a letdown on release (at least in my memory), as people wanted full polygonal environments. Especially so considering how CVX has dated far worse than RE2 and 3...

Neiteio

Gave me one of my biggest jump-scares of all time. Above any from RE and RE2:
That damn zombie that pops out of a car in a narrow corridor.
Ha, that made me jump, but THIS:

This was the first RE i played and it's the only one until today that managed to scare me a lot.

That jump scare on the police station when after you go down the stairs, Nemesis bursts through a window is carved in my memory...
...made me jump more!

Despite being a massive classic RE fan, I never played this entry, and for a pretty absurd reason to boot: i really disliked that they put Jill in a tube top.

For one, I really hate tube tops. But I think it was just more totally out of keeping with the tone they'd struck with that character in RE1 - pretty tough bad ass special forces chick - to totally, and awkwardly, sexualize her.

I've been saying I'm going to correct this for years though now, and OP, your thread has been the kick in the pants I need. I'll play it on Vita.

Any chance for an out of the gate costume change?

Ishida

Banned
Despite being a massive classic RE fan, I never played this entry, and for a pretty absurd reason to boot: a really disliked that they put Jill in a tube top.

For one, I really hate tube tops. But I think it was just more totally out of keeping with the tone they'd struck with that character in RE1 - pretty tough bad ass special forces chick - to totally, and awkwardly, sexualize her.

I've been saying I'm going to correct this for years though now, and OP, your thread has been the kick in the pants I need. I'll play it on Vita.

Any chance for an out of the gate costume change?

The Dreamcast version features costume switching from the start, if I recall correctly (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, people). But you are really, REALLY missing out. This game is fucking fantastic in every single way.

Neff

For me RE3 is just... vanilla. It does nothing terribly wrong and nothing stunningly, epochally right either. It's more classic RE and that's always welcome. It's definitely my least favourite of the traditional RE games though.

As resignation suits go, it's definitely one of the weirdest I've ever seen.

Still, nothin' wrong with bad ass special forces chicks wanting to look good.

Top Bottom