• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bat for Lashes confirms new album 'The Bride'. Out July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabot

Bat for Lashes Announces New Album The Bride, Shares 'In God's House'

Bat for Lashes has announced a new album. The Bride, Natasha Khan's follow-up to 2012's The Haunted Man and her Sexwitch album, is out July 1.

The Bride was produced by Khan alongside collaborators like Dan Carey, Head, Simone Felice, and Ben Christophers. It was inspired by I Do, a short film written and directed by Khan that will debut at NYC's Tribeca Film Festival in April.

Khan will also perform The Bride at a series of shows in churches, ahead of the album's release. For those shows, attendees are encouraged to wear wedding/formal attire. Find the dates below.

direct links to songs:

In God's House (Spotify)
I Do (Spotify)
Sunday Love (Spotify)
Joe's Dream (Spotify)

Woohoo!

Taking a wild guess and gonna say I Do is the opener to the album considering the theme.

Hype!

cabot

First impression is it's very ambitious, much more than any of her previous records. It's possibly her best, need more listens. It's in the discussion though. I can see people being turned off by the dedication to the concept (the second half of reflection and acceptance being all ballads against the chaotic first half which is more varied), and while it's not an album I'd jump to on a whim if i was in the mood for BfL, the quality is there.

Early favourites are Close Encounters, Never Forgive The Angels, Widow's Peak, Joe's Dream and Land's End. Only one I'm sort of iffy on is If I Knew, feels a bit too theatrical. Kind of loses me.

Khan doing God's work, progressing the having sex with weird things movement. From Kate Bush having sex with a snowman, to Khan having sex with a ghost.

We need more.

I hate to be negative, because I'm a big Bat For Lashes fan, but I'm not really feeling this album. However, Clouds is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard. And I mean that as a compliment. I was depressed all day long after hearing it for the first time. It was a huge gut punch. I'm not even sure if it's meant to be all that depressing, one review of the album I read said that the song was sad but hopeful, but for some reason it really hits me hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom