• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

bomblord1

Banned
By suing the person who didn't do it? They have tried to harass and silence any criticism against them by Jim for years at this point.

The basis of their lawsuit doesn't seem to have anything to do with the criticism of their games but the personal attacks and continued harassment by the fanbase of the bigger personality along with his failure to address or attempt to stop it. It specifically mentions court summons for the harassers not just Jim.

They also claim they were impersonated at some point in order to make them look worse.

mattp

Based on the OP and the "some context" link posted in the first few comments. It sounds like these guys were harassed fairly seriously at Jim's behest including defamation of character and personal threats and attacks going as far as receiving animal feces in the mail... And they are suing over it

And the article posted in regards to "some context" seems to say they need to drop it and just accept it because Jim's the bigger personality and has a larger following. Which IMO is not right.

Maybe I just straight up missed something but with everything I read in mind I'm siding with the dev here.

so really, the ultimate takeaway here is videogame fans on the internet are still the worst

because jim didnt do any of that shit

foltzie1

Reading the complaint now.

Initial reaction, this complaint isn't as bad as I would expect from a Pro Se litigant. I'm curious if someone has helped him prep the filing.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
The basis of their lawsuit doesn't seem to have anything to do with the criticism of their games but the personal attacks and continued harassment by the fanbase of the bigger personality along with his failure to address or attempt to stop it. It specifically mentions court summons for the harassers not just Jim.

They also claim they were impersonated at some point in order to make them look worse.

The thing you're missing is that DH is the one that started this whole mess and kept escalating it at every turn, trying many fun things like abusing Youtube's copyright system to try and get Jim's channel taken down, among many other things.

Navy Bean

What were these statements of facts?

Just from the stuff listed in the Complaint (which, of course, could be taken out of context, etc.) I was only saying that his attacks seemed to go beyond presenting opinions, and in that instance you have to be more careful about being factually accurate.

Unless Jim told his fan base to send them feces or threaten Dh and their family then how is he responsible again? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? So now we can't say anything negative about anyone because some asshat may take it too far?

Sblargh

Banned
I want to feel bad that they are being harassed by an online mob because it is the kind of coward shit no one should have to endure, but... they do have a game about earning money by punching a woman in the face.

This love your enemy thing is really tough.

Lime

I have to periodically pause that interview because it's so ridiculously cringe-worthy. I have no idea how Jim manages to stay on for a whole 100 minutes.

Just listed to the interview, and this guy nailed it with this post:

Children on all sides. Jim opens making cheap shots, "I'm surprised I'm talking to an adult hur hur" and the other guy making a bunch of bizarre associations. Both blindly trying to defend accusations each other make without even thinking through the accusation itself. "Did you make money on unprofessional things?" Well, yeah. That's how you grow, right? When has that not been the case?
The dev is just another in the alarmingly high number of indie devs who are basically man-children. What's the deal with this industry? Bunch of shut ins with no bosses who can't conduct themselves like adults. Your audience is going on MY forums!!
My god, this industry is a cesspool!

Navy Bean

Initial reaction, this complaint isn't as bad as I would expect from a Pro Se litigant. I'm curious if someone has helped him prep the filing.

Agreed. The Complaint is fairly well done and detailed. Some of it is trivial stuff but there are some real allegations.

Obviously these all don't have context yet, but that last item is a strange one. Are they really going to argue that his videos led to lowered sales and a lost promotional budget? Come the fuck on.

Edit: Holy shit, they're asking for a $2.6 MILLION DOLLARS reward? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Actually, they're asking for $10.7 MILLION DOLLARS lol.

Arkeband

Banned
Hahahahaha get outta here with that terrible post goddamn.

You think uploading an hour long, exhausting exposé of a guy clearly not right in the head was the right thing for Jim to do?

Because I don't, and when that happened I wasn't alone in my scrutiny in that thread.

Jim isn't taking on Martin Shkreli here, he's dealing with a dude who is completely delusional, and totally washing his hands of the Internet vigilante-ism that follows each of these videos. You're right, legally Jim is free to do whatever the fuck he wants, but there's a precedent for not involving hundreds of thousands of strangers in your behind-the-scenes phone arguments.

Hesh

This thread reminded me of that kerfuffle between Sterling/Stanton and Pan Games back in December so I looked them up to see what they've done since then and I guess they aren't making that game nor any other game anymore. Interesting.

Acerac

Banned
This seems to happen frequently to him but it never seems to stick. Would be surprised if this one does.

You think uploading an hour long, exhausting exposé of a guy clearly not right in the head was the right thing for Jim to do?

Because I don't, and when that happened I wasn't alone in my scrutiny in that thread.

Wasn't it DH who wanted to do the interview in the first place, and they were the ones who wanted it online for people to hear?

Also I'd hardly call that thing an "exhausting expose."

foltzie1

Agreed. The Complaint is fairly well done and detailed. Some of it is trivial stuff but there are some real allegations.
I should clarify, when I think Pro Se I expect word salad, this is written coherently.

Volphied

Yeah, the damage requests is:

$2.2 MIL Actual damages
$4.3 MIL Reputation damages
$5.0 MIL Punitive damages

$10.7 MIL Total damage (it was added wrong in Complaint, should have been $11.5 MIL).

DH are beyond delusional. This "lawsuit" will go absolutely nowhere, no doubt about that.

Arkeband

Banned
Wasn't it DH who wanted to do the interview in the first place, and they were the ones who wanted it online for people to hear?

Also I'd hardly call that thing an "exhausting expose."

I don't know how you could listen to the whole hour and change and not be completely over hearing both voices. I meant exhausting as in physically and mentally draining.

And DH is the epitome of bad ideas, it's like the one thing they're great at - Jim has discretion of whether he wants to assist the dufus on the other end of disembowling himself. But when the guy you're arguing with is like 40 with a family and is arguing like a 10 year old, some alarm bells should be going off.

The sad part is that Digital Homicide did this to themselves. Had they not filed a copyright take down against Sterling and turned this whole thing into a huge mess none of this would of happened. Jim probably would of pegged a few games by chance and DH would of still have gotten negative criticism but not been in the spotlight like they were and still are. And while that doesn't excuse certain peoples behavior they also messed with Sterling''s livelihood by trying to shut up their critic when hes allowed that right. And no Sterling isn't putting start up indie devs out of business. Look at Stardew Valley. An actual good game with a developer that cares and has been communicating with the community, Its selling incredibly well.

foltzie1

Yeah, the damage requests is:

$2.2 MIL Actual damages
$4.3 MIL Reputation damages
$5.0 MIL Punitive damages

$10.7 MIL Total damage (it was added wrong in Complaint, should have been $11.5 MIL).

That guy thinks he lost out in that much money(actual)?

He is claiming he actually lost 2.2 million, and that his reputation has suffered 4.3 million in future damage.

He then demands 5 million in punitive damages to punish Jim for doing something egregious that the court wants to deter Jim and others from doing.

Punitive damages are generally only awarded when someone is being a real bad actor and the court wants to make a statement.

Playing devil's advocate here, there isn't any way those damages would actually be awarded though? I can't imagine Jim's worth is anywhere approaching 11m.

I don't know how you could listen to the whole hour and change and not be completely over hearing both voices. I meant exhausting as in physically and mentally draining.

To be fair, when I first listened to it I was partially occupying my thoughts while building a desk. I can't imagine sitting and listening to that with your complete and undivided attention.

And DH is the epitome of bad ideas, it's like the one thing they're great at - Jim has discretion of whether he wants to assist the dufus on the other end of disembowling himself. But when the guy you're arguing with is like 40 with a family and is arguing like a 10 year old, some alarm bells should be going off.

Again, in the context of how DH was constantly bugging Jim, I'm sure he was hopeful that the podcast would be the last thing he would do with DH.

Volphied

The sad part is that Digital Homicide did this to themselves. Had they not filed a copyright take down against Sterling and turned this whole thing into a huge mess none of this would of happened. Jim probably would of pegged a few games by chance and DH would of still have gotten negative criticism but not been in the spotlight like they were and still are. And while that doesn't excuse certain peoples behavior they also messed with Sterling''s livelihood by trying to shut up their critic when hes allowed that right.

Pretty much. Jim has so far went through a ton of terrible games and DH are the only ones to go absolutely ballistic after being criticized.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
I'm sure they'll do fine if fundraising goes as well as their kickstarters.

Oh...wait...

That kickstarter page is amazing I'm super glad it was still live so I could see the fantastic rewards for backing it I'm alone less than a year ago I could've pledged $100s to get a new game name shit in it and get a bunch of other shit games whose value on steam might add up to $75

Gulz1992

These guys are attention whoring geniuses. There's no way their idiotic beliefs, constant attacking of Jim, and barrage of unfinished, barley playable 'games' are all unintentional.

EpicBox

Every single one of Jim's statements that they claim to be false can be backed up by factual evidence.

For Jim I imagine this is more irritating than anything else. Unfortunately he will probably end up being out of pocket because of the legal process he's being pulled into.

EpicBox

Of course, for all their claims about harassment, Jim can point out the fact that they started making videos and posts about him first.

I'm sure they'll do fine if fundraising goes as well as their kickstarters.

Oh...wait...

Pledge $25 or more

2 backers

Get your copy of Medieval Merc's via Digital Download or Steam Key when Green lit!

Receive a steam key of The Slaughtering Grounds on Steam. (The Medieval Mercs Digital download / will be in July).

Receive a steam key for Forsaken Uprising multi-player castle building mmo.

Such a great reward.

Top Bottom