• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

READ before buying 'Playstation Move Controllers' in anticipation of 'Playstation VR'

Did you buy a new or used Playstation Move or Navigational Controller in anticipation of Playstation VR? MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE IT ASAP!

Before I start, note that these are the combinations you can have with your PSVR:

Tx1EeHE.jpg

With the news of sales skyrocketing, it's obvious that some of you will jump on that.

Chances are that if you bought it used (or new, sitting in a warehouse for years), or have some sitting in your home collecting dust, they've not been operated for years and the battery is almost or completely discharged. If you're lucky, you may be able to revive it by charging it for at least 6-12 hours. If you're unlucky, you will have to buy a replacement battery.

The batteries cost anywhere from $10 to $25, depending on who you buy it from and where you buy it from. I suggest you look at Amazon or eBay. These are not your typical Li-ion battery and are cylindrical in shape, made specifically for Move Controllers. The Move Controllers were originally listed for $50, chances are that they will either be listed for the same price or a little cheaper. The cost to buy a used controller ($25 + shipping) & battery ($15 + shipping) may end up costing that of a new controller, so beware and be wise when making a purchase.

Let's say you already bought one or own one and have tested it as instructed. If after testing you realized that your Move Controller battery is fully drained, and you decide to buy a replacement battery, here are the instructions on how to replace the battery for Move or Navigation Controller:

XBA2AkB.png

Replacing battery of PS Move Controller

Av8Kz9b.png

Replacing battery of PS Navigation Controller

------------------------------------------------------

So, in anticipation of PSVR, prepare yourself. Move Controllers will not sell out as easily as you assume once they're released alongside PSVR. Better yet, they will be a new batch or production and won't require any battery replacement.

So those that own a Move Controller, is it charging? Let me know because I don't think mine are charging. I've tested all 4 of my controllers and none seems to be charging (the battery charging indicator doesn't flash as it should be when charging). I will charge them all for 12 hours and then provide an update if they work.

FAQ:

How do I know it's charging?
-- When it's charging, the red light should blink continuously. Once charged, the indicator will turn off.

On PS4, what's the best game to test Move Controllers on?
-- Sportsfriends (was free on PS+). Play "Johann Sebastian Joust" to see if the controllers turn on and the orb lights up.

TheBear

Mine have been sitting in a drawer for 5 years so charging them is probably a good idea. If they're working what should we do to prolong their battery life?

Hoje0308

Banned
Who the hell is paying anywhere near MSRP for a new Move controller? Buyone on Amazon for $25-28 and if the battery doesn't work, get a replacement sent.

Cant believe they cheaped out and are using this ancient thing.

Yeah, I'd much rather they have made something completely new that I could spend twice as much on. That would be great fun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't used mine since mid 2011, hope they are ok

Hoje0308

Banned
Do you mean get a replacement sent by Sony, then I don't think thats possible because everyone that's selling right now (even 'new') is a reseller. or a factory direct shop.

Let me know if that's possible though.

Any order verified by Amazon is likely to have a kickass return policy. Let them know the item arrived defective and have the controller itself replaced. If you have any trouble at all, get on the line with customer service. I've not had a single bit of trouble with them, and I'm a grumpy SOB.

Edit: There are at least two, non Sony but fulfilled by Amazon vendors on there that are selling them new for $25.

Good thread. I have always charged my Move + navi controllers, as well as all my PS3/4 dual shock controllers every other month or so, even when I'm not using them, because I know leaving them completely discharged is not good for the Li-ion batteries. The same is true for phones, tablets, laptops, etc. It doesn't need to be 100% all the time, 50% is fine too. Just not dead.

It's realiable tech. They're already doing VR and you want them to somehow reinvent the motion wand too?

My biggest problem with Move and PSVR (or any light-based tech) is that it requires your home lighting conditions to be stellar. Move controller does not work that well when your home lighting is bright or the sun is shining into your room. It requires darkness (which is why a lot of tech demos shown are in darkness).

This is something that a lot of folks have forgotten from the PSMove days. It was a bitch to work with.

Grinchy

Banned
I just put mine in the charger. This stuff has been sitting in a box probably since the last time I used them for Killzone 3. They both started flashing red immediately, though. Mine might just be ok.

Hoje0308

Banned
My biggest problem with Move and PSVR (or any light-based tech) is that it requires your home lighting conditions to be stellar. Move controller does not work that well when your home lighting is bright or the sun is shining into your room. It requires darkness (which is why a lot of tech demos shown are in darkness).

This is something that a lot of folks have forgotten from the PSMove days. It was a bitch to work with.

On the bright side, once you put the headset on it won't matter how dark your room is. Although, it would suck a bit if you had to add blackout blinds to total cost of your PSVR experience.

Okay this is what I'm dealing with, then

Both controllers get a blinking light but neither will connect to a console or work when unplugged

TheYanger

On the bright side, once you put the headset on it won't matter how dark your room is. Although, it would suck a bit if you had to add blackout blinds to total cost of your PSVR experience.

what. Just because you can't see the sun doesn't mean your PS Camera can't :p

One would hope they've done some work on this front.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Mine is fine :)

Mine were charging fine after I didn't use them for years. I also used both of them and was able to get quite a good chunk of play time out of them, so they seem to be fine.

I ordered a used Nav controller though, we'll see how that one performs.

Edit: The combinations picture is confusing though, as it only shows Motion controllers. Nav controllers are supported, too.

ps3ud0

What should the moves do to show they are charging ok? Have 2 but cant say Ive used them in years. Will try over the weekend...

Would this battery issue really affect brand new ones?

ps3ud0 8)

Not used mine in a year or two, but thankfully both immediately started flashing when I plugged them in to charge, so hopefully no harm done!

Gren

Honestly had no idea that li-ion batteries worked (or fail to work, in this case) that way.

Glad I stopped by. Thanks.

What should the moves do to show they are charging ok? Have 2 but cant say Ive used them in years. Will try over the weekend...

Would this battery issue really affect brand new ones?

ps3ud0 8)

When it's charging, the red light should blink continuously. Once charged, it'll be solid red the indicator will turn off.

Zafir

So how do you know whether your batteries are screwed?

Mine seemed to have charged up, and they show as full on the PS3, but who knows how accurate that is....

I know from past experience with other devices they generally just don't last as long, will that be the case here?

I saw a thread like this or a post or two the other day on this site. I got scared and pulled out my MOVES, that I haven't Used in over a year and they charged with no problem.

TriAceJP

Good thing for me that JS Joust is such a popular party game. I've used my controllers a lot the past few years.

El_Cinefilo

First thing I did after the announcement was get my move controllers out and charge them. (even though I don't think I'll get VR straight away) not tried them yet but they started flashing when I put them on the dock so that's a good sign.

So how do you know whether your batteries are screwed?

Mine seemed to have charged up, and they show as full on the PS3, but who knows how accurate that is....

I know from past experience with other devices they generally just don't last as long, will that be the case here?

Yes, the batteries will lose their power eventually and won't hold charge that well. They're meant to last 6 hours but you might see 2 hours or less of a charge after years of operation (or non-operation). However, if it's turning on then it means they're at least working! :)

If they're turning on and working then you can enjoy them. However, if the battery life really concerns you or if it doesn't hold the charge that well then you may need to replace them.

Zafir

Yes, the batteries will lose their power eventually and won't hold charge that well. They're meant to last 6 hours but you might see 2 hours or less of a charge after years of operation (or non-operation). However, if it's turning on then it means they're at least working! :)

If they're turning on and working then you can enjoy them. However, if the battery life really concerns you or if it doesn't hold the charge that well then you may need to replace them.

Ah right, fair enough, thanks!

SerTapTap

FWIW my Move still seems to hold charge after being bought in...2011? Then mostly ignored after 2012 and resurrected in 2014 for Octodad. Just checked mine and they seem fine (still had charge even).

Hopefully everyone is so lucky.

Top Bottom