• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

READ before buying 'Playstation Move Controllers' in anticipation of 'Playstation VR'

Minions

Hmm, I am not sure if that's the case. The 15-20 second blinking may mean it's searching for a console to connect with. Did you plugin the USB cable to PS4 to let it sync? Confirm before you consider it DOA. :)

I will give it a try. It is able to sync through usb, lets see if it charges through it. I was trying to charge it through pc. Thanks for the tip. Would have been nice if it mentioned it is completely different than the move in that regard. The move is able to charge via pc and light flashes until the battery charges.

It says it is charging. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

seb

Banned
Mine is blinking at least. And I haven't use it in years.
I'll report back after a day of charge. Is there anything on the ps4 that supports it? Some cheap indie I can use for test maybe?

Mine is blinking at least. And I haven't use it in years.
I'll report back after a day of charge. Is there anything on the ps4 that supports it? Some cheap indie I can use for test maybe?

Sportsfriends was cross buy I believe, so if you own the PS3 version you should have the PS4 version.

I think I used mine less than two years ago with No More Heroes. I have to finish that game anyway so I get to try out my Move and Nav.

Both of them are blinking red when plugged into my PC for charging, I guess dead controllers wouldn't do that.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Thanks for the reminder OP! I got a PS3 Move bundle almost exactly five years ago and haven't used Move since 2013 or 14 thankfully both my Move and Nav Controllers are charging just fine.

As somebody that's been using their Move controllers recently, I hope the PSVR headset or the PS4 camera isn't as finicky as the eye toy is. Getting controllers to calibrate (be detected) is a pain and don't get me started on head tracking from the camera.

tr00per

As somebody that's been using their Move controllers recently, I hope the PSVR headset or the PS4 camera isn't as finicky as the eye toy is. Getting controllers to calibrate (be detected) is a pain and don't get me started on head tracking from the camera.

As someone who used move on ps3 and the camera on ps4 i can say it is a hell of a lot more tolerant of light and clearer to boot. Higher resolution plus dual cameras.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a move NR for 9€ "like new" and the first thing I'll do today is charge it, after I receive it.

oh man it's crazy how fast the sold out @ different stores..

Leynos

Lithium-ion batteries (like that found in the Move, or Navigation controller) do not like being discharged for long periods of time, and doing so will kill their useful life. Nickel–metal hydride batteries (Eneloops, and the like,) however, should be discharged before recharging.

I bought a Move, and Navigation controller from a Gaffer recently, and the Nav controller battery was effectively dead. I bought a replacement battery, and it seems to be working just fine now. If you buy new batteries, remember that the Move, and Nav controllers do NOT use the same battery.

I am having a blast with the PS3 light-gun games, and am playing my Wii games more.

Ogni-XR21

My old one did not charge at first, I had to connect it directly to the PS4 for it to start charging, but after that it worked like a charm.

When I tried the moves on PS4 you only had to connect them once by USB and they were good to go without any calibrating.

Hasney

No idea about Move as I haven't used it with the PS4 camera outside of a controlled environment, but head tracking, even without the headset and it's lights, is much better.

Mine were not charging the other day when I broke them out of storage, even after 12 hours. But on a whim, tried them plugged into a console and they started charging again.

Ordered batteries that day just in case though, since these Move controllers are from 2010.

Necro900

Got two used move controllers (one looks far more recent than the other) yesterday, and I tried them while hooked up to the ps4. It all worked, except whenever I disconnected them they would turn off and not turn on with the ps button press, so I figured out they just needed charging and dismissed the whole thing as "whatever, I'll do it in october".

So today I read this and rush to the drawer I had stored them in, now they're charging, both blinking red lights. Hopefully this means they're not completely dead.

Piccoro

Crap, I haven't used my 2 Move controllers for about a year!

OP, for how long haven't you used them before trying to charge them?

Crap, I haven't used my 2 Move controllers for about a year!

OP, for how long haven't you used them before trying to charge them?

I haven't used them for 4 years. I wanted to use it for JS Joust but DS4 does the trick nicely. As of now, all my Move controllers and navigation controller have charged. Going to see how well of a charge they keep.

Piccoro

I haven't used them for 4 years. I wanted to use it for JS Joust but DS4 does the trick nicely. As of now, all my Move controllers and navigation controller have charged. Going to see how well of a charge they keep.

Ok thank you. I'm gonna try and charge them when I get home later.

I still have my PS3 hooked up, so I'm gonna play some Time Crisis! (If the Moves work, that is...)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, this is a good reminder for me to charge my Move again. Hopefully it's not too late...I know last time I used it, and had to charge it, it did feel a bit like bringing it back from the dead. Took some time before it woke up.

I have two Move controllers which I charged and used about six months ago to play House of the Dead Overkill. They seemed fine, but I expect their batteries are at least somewhat depleted as I bought them probably 3 years ago and they've not seen a lot of use since.

It's also worth bearing in mind that existing PS Move controllers use mini USB chargers, and the PS4 comes with a mini USB charger for the Dual Shock 4. I wonder if there is a converter available, or if not whether Sony will release something like that. EDIT - yeah, they are available, like this one.

Nesther

If you get it from Amazon Warehouse the dead battery problem is a non-issue, as their return policy is superb. Just return it until you get a working one by October.

Man

All three controllers fully charged (12 hours each). I almost forgot how cool the controller looks in person when the light is on.
They all work fine in the PS4 OS.

I am now re-downloading Octodad Dadliest Catch.

One of three(?) PS4 games that currently support it including Sportsfriends and Just Dance 2014...
No clue why they removed it from The Unfinished Swan PS4 version. That was a really fine PS Move game if I remember correctly.

edit: Well that game seemed almost impossible to control. Also the cursor seemed slightly jumpy in the menu. Not sure if just bad software implementation or if gyros have aged a bit. Only tried one controller.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hadn't used mine in 5 years, but luckily all 3 charged up just fine. Seems like I dodged a bullet there.

daveo42

Banned
Both controllers are charging for me, but one will blink for almost a minute before shutting off while the other blinks for maybe five seconds. Not thrilled about needing to spend extra money on a battery, even if it should be easy enough to replace. Will find out soon enough if they work or not with Sportsfriends.

Thanks again for the heads up OP.

Edit: Success! Both work!

Plugged my two controllers in and not getting any blinking red light, guess they must be dead :(

I'm pre-ordering the bundle on Tuesday anyway, but I might look into getting new batteries as backups.

Jamiaro

Is there a problem with my two Move-controllers:

- They are connected to a charger, but they Only start rapidly blinking when I press the P-button. After a while, the blinking stops. Am I okay or screwed?

Jamiaro

Both controllers are charging for me, but one will blink for almost a minute before shutting off while the other blinks for maybe five seconds. Not thrilled about needing to spend extra money on a battery, even if it should be easy enough to replace. Will find out soon enough if they work or not with Sportsfriends.

Thanks again for the heads up OP.

Edit: Success! Both work!

Seems like I have the same issue as you. Glad it worked for you, perhaps there is hope for me as well!

Edit: sorry for posting twice in a row! Sucks to write with a smartphone.

Brannon

Thanks for the heads up, charged mine and they seem to be working alright. We should spam Bombcast/Beastcast so they can tell their fans to be aware also.

Jim Sterling, spread the word.

Angry Joe, you know what to do.

DSP, I know you're reading this, do the needful.

Jamiaro

Chargers have no idea how to talk to them, use a ps3, 4 or pc that is ON. For hours and hours, before condemning them.

I'll let them charge overnight at least, and connect them tomorrow after work. Thanks for the tip. Have not touched those balls in years so I forgot. ^^

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Are the older controllers even going to be viable for PSVR? The newer controllers have a d-pad where the older controllers just had the Move button. I'm thinking you're going to have to buy at least one new controller to get all of most PSVR games' functionality.

I have two move controllers that I bought around launch and have used lightly but haven't touched in years. I can only charge one at a time.

The first one seems to be ok since the light is flashing.

I'll update later.

Jamiaro

This is actually really good. Both Moves are charging correctly now and I got inspired to buy the camera. Will look for one tomorrow. Thanks OP!

My USB phone charger connected to the mains power wouldn't make the charge light flash on the Move but I plugged my PS3's USB charge cable into the PS4 and it started blinking, weird but at least it's charging now.

Piccoro

I am now re-downloading Octodad Dadliest Catch.

One of three(?) PS4 games that currently support it including Sportsfriends and Just Dance 2014...
No clue why they removed it from The Unfinished Swan PS4 version. That was a really fine PS Move game if I remember correctly.
Not many people know this, but Final Fantasy XIV is also Move compatible...

Ogni-XR21

Are the older controllers even going to be viable for PSVR? The newer controllers have a d-pad where the older controllers just had the Move button. I'm thinking you're going to have to buy at least one new controller to get all of most PSVR games' functionality.

I think you have the navigation controller and the move controller confused. There are move controllers with the glowing orb and then there are nunchucks that have no glowing ball and cannot be tracked with the camera. And yes, they are usable for PSVR.

Jedi2016

Dug mine out. Seems like they're okay. I charged them both (Move and Nav), and they both turn on. The Move seems like it's always charging when I put it in the cradle, though, like it never quite finishes.

I have no software on PS4 to check them on, though. Shame that they dropped it so quickly after PS3, but I hope the bump in sales for VR will encourage devs to start using them again, even for non-VR apps.

Top Bottom