• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$180 40GB Polaroid MP3 Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
294785_lg.jpg

I'm unable to find any real reviews on it, but if anyone has any personal experience with this player or any additional information concerning it, I'd appreciate it. If it's worth it, I may have to make a trip back to Fry's to return my 30GB Nomad Zen Xtra. Thanks.

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/d...source=pwbfroogle&adcampaign=email,pwbfroogle

MP3, WMA (supporting DRM) decoding format

MP3 encoding (64, 128 bps) format

Jukebox capacity stores thousands of songs

ID3 tags display song title, artist name, album, elapsed time

Direct MP3 encoding - voice, music, radio!

FM tuner with 10 preset channels

FM live record

Highly sensitive external voice recording including line-in

Five preset EQ options

Date, time and sleep timer functions

Large backlit LCD display 42 x 61 mm

Easy to use file navigation

User-defined music library and play list playback

16MB anti-shock buffer

Rechargeable via AC adapter

Passive line control

Bundled Music Management Software (upload/download data, album management) and MusicMatch.

Simulated stereo sound effects

RTC embedded

Rapid download speed via USB 2.0

Firmware upgradeable via USB port

English, French, Spanish, German, Chinese playability

Includes:

Digital Media Group Polaroid PDP602 Portable MP3/WMA/FM Radio Juke Box Player - 40GB, High fidelity stereo earphones, Instruction and operating manual, Carrying case, USB Cable, AC Adapter and Installation/MusicMatch disk.

Technical Specifications:

Memory : 40GB

Signal-to-noise-ratio: 90 dB

Frequency Response : 20Hz ~ 20kHz

REQUIRES- Pentium 233 MHz or better 1 GB Hard Disc or higher (4 GB recommended) 64 MB DRAM or better USB Port Monitor Resolution: 1024 x 768, 16 Bit Color or Better CD-ROM drive to install software Windows 98/98 SE/ME/2000 Pro or MacOS (ver. 9.04 or later)

POWER- (1) rechargeable 1400 mA-hr Li battery

SIZE - 117 x 75 x 29 mm

WT.- 250 grams w/o battery

tedtropy

dskillzhtown said:
If that machine turns out to be a good one, I am buying one.

Ditto, I just can't find any damn reviews on the thing and it doesn't look like there's any local places for me to have a little hand-on session with it. I do know that it weighs about an ounce more than my Nomad and that the battery life isn't quite as good, but for the increased capacity and screensize I'd be willing to make those compromises if the sound quality is still on par with my Nomad.

That looks nice, and seems to be a pretty good bargain for a 40GB player!

I like that it has direct MP3 encoding from the radio, and the screen is nice and big.

tedtropy

MrPing1000 said:

After reading that review (which while based on the 20GB model, is otherwise similar to the 40GB), I think it's safe to say I'm going to be sticking with my Nomad. The player is way too thick, the controls not intelligently laid-out, and the battery life compared to most newer HD-based players in a word - sucks. Still, for the price, it's not the worst deal in the world. Thanks for the link, MrPing.

tedtropy

RedDwarf said:
I have the 30 gig Nomad Zen Xtra and love it. The Polaroid looks kinda meh.

Yeah, same player I'm using. As an audio player, it's a great device - good size, design, battery life, software. The only real caveat is that I wish it was designed so that it could be seen as a removable HD in Windows instead of having to go through Creative's software.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I was reading on a Creative forum that they were working on a firmware upgrade that would do that. Who knows.

tedtropy

Creative's never been very forth-coming when it comes to their firmware updates, but who knows. There's a few little updates for the player that I think could really add to its value, but even as is, it was well worth the $200.

Suerte

tedtropy said:
Creative's never been very forth-coming when it comes to their firmware updates, but who knows. There's a few little updates for the player that I think could really add to its value, but even as is, it was well worth the $200.

Hmmm that's kinda weird, my Muvo2 works as a removable HD.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
RedDwarf said:
I have the 30 gig Nomad Zen Xtra and love it. The Polaroid looks kinda meh.

Ah that's the mp3 player the missus said she was getting for me... glad to know some of you have it and like it.

tedtropy

Suerte said:
Hmmm that's kinda weird, my Muvo2 works as a removable HD.

Yeah, I read there was something different about the architecture of the Nomad to prevent it from acting as much. It's not really a big deal for me personally - the device will still hold and transfer all types of data, there's just sort of an extra step involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom