• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Ponn

Banned
When has dividing your current market and confusing and scaring any potential buyers mid-cycle ever worked out? I just have no idea how they thought this was a good idea.

daman824

Seriously though, fuck Sony with this shit. "Significant" differences on games like god of war 4. Can't wait for the unoptimized, sub 30fps version for the current ps4.

Also lol at calling it a ps4k when it only upscales. It's Microsoft "all games are upscaled to 1080p" all over again.

hatchx

Banned
I find this news really disappointing.

I think my days of console gaming, especially with Sony, are coming to a close.

I'll pick up a cheap, used, bundled Playstation at the end of a generation from now on.

Protann

Your console doesn't get weaker because of a new stronger version.

But if developers are going to target higher specs, we're going to get fucked with inferior versions of games. I didn't buy a PS4 last year to have to buy an entirely new one to get the best versions of games. If I didn't care about playing worse versions of games I would have just stuck with my 360.

Sorc3r3r

Btw we can expect this shit to be the new normality?

So they think I'm going to spent 399 every 3 years with the old model left in the dust?

Fuck them.

Pinky

Banned
I've had my PS4 for less than a year. If this is true...

KA40_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

AmyS

No doubt, 99% of games released will use a native 1080p framebuffer. Maybe we'll have games like Trine and other simple indie games at true 4K resolution.

AAA games obviously 1080p. Hopefully new games (and maybe recent ones like Dark Soul III) could get bumped to 60fps, especially ones that are close to or are at 60fps but don't hold that framerate like Battlefield I hope.

entremet

Typical Sony. Once they get on people's good graces they fuck it up a bit with nonsense like this(if it's true).

Happened with going from PS2 to PS3 and now this. I mean whatever. I'll stick to my PS4.

Sony isn't new in this behavior. We've seen Nintendo do this with the N64 and MS with the original XB1 vision.

Success breeds this stuff.

well... shit. I guess I was wrong.

How many insider sources did you need? There's been tons of smoke.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When has dividing your current market and confusing and scaring any potential buyers mid-cycle ever worked out? I just have no idea how they thought this was a good idea.

I mean, had initial sales been bad, I could understand this. But they aren't--they're fantastic. It makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Nbnt said:
Nintendo does it all the time and people seem ok with it.

New 3DS and...

True Fire

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer.

Oh lord, imagine Fallout 4 with a PS4K patch plus mod support. It would basically be a PC game without nude mods.

Hoo-doo

Banned
When the new games come out with significant performance degradation when running on your current console, it sure does.

Wouldn't they just still run at 1080p/30fps like 90% of the PS4 library? What changes exactly?

You think they will intentionally cap the games at 20FPS or something? The PS4 games will still look like PS4 games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why would you come over here with this, anyway? If you say it's part of a meeting YOU had yesterday, you're putting yourself out in the open in a big way.

That's pretty risky of you.

foxbeldin

Come on son, you're taking this at face value?

Taking a stand if it is true. Sony reads feedback and if this is really on their roadmap, they need to know this shit won't fly.

Also, they'd better announce it before the PSVR release so i can cancel that preorder in time.

Of course, if any of this is true.

This thing is going to bomb. Only the biggest enthusiasts are going to shell out more money for a PS4K when there is a cheaper PS4 sitting there. This is even worse than the Wii/Wii U situation.

I'd buy it but how do I know this isn't going to happen again in another 2-3 years? I want a bit more of an idea of how long to expect from a consoles lifespan going forward if it's gonna get shaken up like this.

AAMARMO

Banned
I really hope they come up with a trade in deal where people that already spent $400 on the first PS4 get a good deal out of it. I would pay $100 and trade my PS4 for a new version of it.

I agree it kinda of annoying for the day 1 buyers :/.

If true, this is Sony taking a giant dump on its early adopters, while knowing that a lot of them are so invested in the ecosystem that they'll compulsively upgrade to the latest tech.
Calling PS4 users "early adopters" doesn't sit right with me. I've had mine for what seems like forever and I bought it late.

Top Bottom