• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Paganmoon

Though considering they're not decided on the CPU yet, it can't be ready for fall can it? has to be next year? Which again begs the question, why not just wait another year and go PS5 right away?

Man this is weird news.

Neiteio

I'm not very tech-savvy (by GAF standards), so potentially "dumb" question: If I have a 1080p TV, would 4k still benefit by way of a downsampling effect (condensing a high-res image onto a lower-res screen)? Or would I just be seeing benefits such as potential extra effects, i.e. higher framerates, improved lighting, etc?

Elandyll

Banned
Looking forward to a divided userbase!
Games will be the same (as in no PS4K exclusives).
The only division will be in the DF Face off threads, with owners accusing the PS4 of "dragging them down".

New pecking order:

PC Master Race with big Rig> PS4K > XB1 Ultra > NiN NX > PS4 > XB1 > WiiU (where applicable) > Ouya

OsirisBlack

Banned
This would be a monumental mistake on Sony's part. There absolutely has to be some sort of upgrade option for current owners, otherwise this is effectively the Playstation 5.

At some point developers will shift to developing only for the newer specs, which will completely divide the market.

This could change on a store based side I cant see the higher ups not doing some sort of trade in program. Also everyone saying the games will not be native 4K I completely agree there wont be a 4K game it was just stated that they would take advantage of the higher specs not that they would be native 4K but that they would be scaled to 4K.

thenexus6

MWsj4gVv.png

score01

Pretty disappointed to know that the current ps4 will never be coded to the metal the same ways as previous gens with more and more performance ringed out over time. Why can't I shake off the feeling that this news sucks.

cakely

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

Oh man. I was absolutely wrong. A GPU that's twice as powerful? New games including God of War 4 that are designed to take advantage of the new GPU? I really didn't believe this was possible.

Sony was actually willing to fragment their userbase. I'm stunned.

So, when the next COD comes out, are the owners of a PS4K going to have better resolution and framerate over the people that didn't upgrade? It sure sounds like it.

t hicks

Banned
Having mixed feeling about this... but if I can get a good deal trading in my current PS4 for this i'll probably go for it

StoopKid

This thing is going to bomb. Only the biggest enthusiasts are going to shell out more money for a PS4K when there is a cheaper PS4 sitting there. This is even worse than the Wii/Wii U situation.

Sony isn't going to stop selling ps4 though.

It's a win/ win situation.

Woorloog

Banned
Man, i'm glad i went PC this gen.
Gotta ask my brother what he thinks (he has PS4).

Wonder if MS will do the same with Xbone...

Seems like Sony is shifting towards the iphone/ipad model.

They really want people to buy a console every few years that's upgraded. I don't know if the console market would be happy and accepting of this move though.

zsynqx

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Fuck this.

Interesting

Not interested if no boost to regular games though. Not buying a 4K TV any time soon.

But a good option to have IMO. If they did this at the start of the gen and offered a more powerful box for a premium I'd do it every time

Because people spent their hard earned money to have it go to waste 3 years later on a console that was dominating this generation?

So what? You still get to play games. From the beginning it was clear that original PS4 was not quite a match for PC. This gets it closer. Nobody is forcing you to buy a new PS4 and if anything the developers will prioritize weaker PS4 to make sure they have larger userbase.

Gren

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."

Not liking the sound of these points at all. I anticipate that if this doesn't fall flat on its ass then in a few years we'll just be at the same point we are now; AAA games biting off more than they can chew from the hardware to the point where performance is compromised (to say nothing of how it'll impact vanilla PS4 experiences).

Theorry

Would happy to see some sort of upgrade program. No way i am going to pay 400 or 500 bucks again after 3 years. There is a reason i play consoles.

Jonboy

Two things I would say to Sony if I had the chance...

- Go with the better CPU. This should be a premium product for your most die-hard fans.

- You should absolutely encourage devs to patch old games to improve things like the frame rate. First few off the top of my head would be Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and The Division.

There needs to be a reason to upgrade more than just the promise of new games. Improve the old ones as well or it's a no go for me on day 1 (and I'm someone who loves this idea and is itching to buy one).

Hawk269

I called this one a while ago. In order for Sony to really show people the differences between the two units, they will need to show something that people are familiar with and taking a handful of already released games and patching them to take advantage and then showing the differences is what people will want to see so they can make an informed decision on buying one or trading in their old unit to Gamestop to fund the new unit.

So, this thread blew up pretty quickly.

I'm still wondering: is there any technical reason why devs wouldn't simply adapt fidelity for decent performance on ps4, while increasing fidelity on ps4k?

It sounds like everyone is expecting 20fps 720p games just because there's a better gpu out.

Why would developers risk losing sales in order to push Sony's hardware?

Protann

Wouldn't they just still run at 1080p/30fps like 90% of the PS4 library? What changes exactly?

You think they will intentionally cap the games at 20FPS or something? The PS4 games will still look like PS4 games.

There's no way you can say that authoritatively. Have you ever played a demanding PC game on a weak PC?

Ryan_MSF

If this is legit super glad I lined sonys pockets at launch for my PS4
/s

what a massive fuck you to all 30+ million owners.

$500 and with no trade-in program and I'm definitely out. $400 with one and I'll probably upgrade.

Gamestop (or whatever the popular game retailer is in your area) will likely be running their own trade-in programs. No need for Sony to get involved.

If this is legit super glad I lined sonys pockets at launch for my PS4
/s

what a massive fuck you to all 30+ million owners.

This was bound to happen. I don't think its going to be a massive fuck you. The first time its a surprise to everyone who didn't consider it to be a possibility... only thing is that they need to ensure that original PS4's are able to run games acceptably, at least for the next couple of years.

Well if this real and they don't give a decent trade in program I'm out. There's no point in consoles anymore

Yeah, pretty much that for me.
I love my PS4, but if the console releases at 400€ with no trade in after 3,5-4 years, consoles are dead to me.
I have a good gaming PC. I will probably miss the exclusives though.

GHG

No, it doesn't, what it does mean though is that you are going to have to suffer much poorer performance in any new titles that are released, who wants that? Devs aren't going to target the lower spec machine.

Breh...

Have you not seen how the Xbox one has been "holding back" the PS4 all generation?

entremet

Pretty disappointed to know that the current ps4 will never be coded to the metal the same ways as previous gens with more and more performance ringed out over time. Why can't I shake off the feeling that this news sucks.

Coding to the metal gave us sub 30FPS TLOU.

Still one my favs from last generation, but the remaster helped it tons.

Top Bottom