• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IKEA released a VR game on Steam

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ikea/newsitem/040516_Virtual-Reality

ss_427075207fd93fc76b60026cd32efb7b4bc1fa37.600x338.jpg

do you like video games
do u like meatballs
here ikea's new video game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447270/

"IKEA VR Experience"

• Put on your VR headset and prepare to explore our kitchen in full 3D.
  • Enjoy walking around and interacting with some parts of it just like you were there.
  • Instantly change the look and feel of the kitchen by selecting a different material finish.
  • Explore the kitchen from a child’s point of view or as a tall person.
  • Find the drawers that can be opened. Pick up a frying pan and place it on the stove.
  • Recycle the vegetable skins in the waste sorting station.

the game has changed, baby
ikea is here to flip the industry on it's head with food and particleboard

lås om gamla

When they update their shitty Kitchen Planner utility to let you design your kitchen in VR is when the game will really change

Foshy

wow this is great, imagine the possibilites.

design and decorate a house in VR with the full ikea catalogue. This would be so useful and a real VR killer app imo

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

design and decorate a house in VR with the full ikea catalogue. This would be so useful and a real VR killer app imo

Not IKEA exclusive but Dash said he does something similar in the VR sticky.

Architectural previsualization in VR.
Basically architects can make prospect buyers/financiers/etc actually experience photorealistic cgi apartments/venues/etc in their completed state through VR (mostly Gear VR because of its portability) instead of the old plastic models shop/autocad/etc

Imagine in the future when buying your new sofa/dinner table/whatever furniture online and you'll be able to first experience it in a 3D rendition of your room in VR and see how it fits.

GHG

It will be killer when it can create a VR version of your current home and you can start placing their products around it to see how it will look before you go and buy them.

Ashler

If they make a VR room builder with their entire catalogue and then add a buy now and delivery option, that could turn out to be the best thing ever.

You could chose your own furniture solution AND see instantly how it would look in your house.

One of the biggest potential applications of VR outside of gaming is virtual architecture design.

IKEA gets praise for being the first out the gate with something like this.

In the future, I'll take a stereoscopic recording of a room in my house and go to the Home Depot VR Studio and paint the walls and add lighting fixtures in VR.

Then after that I'll go to IKEA VR and put the furniture in. But I gotta repaint the walls first.

Mik2121

If they get a system where you can specify the layout of your house and have access to the full IKEA catalog with all the color variations, etc, and they let you place stuff around, it would be amazing. Like, before moving somewhere I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars just to get the app and check everything here first. And even then it would probably be free (free advertising!)

DieH@rd

Banned
Wasn't April 1st a few days ago?

This seems exactly the type of thing that would happen then haha

This is not only real, but also an amazing opportunity for IKEA. VR shopping could be mega big, especially for products that have such a big impact on people lives and for which they need to physically travel to big shipping locations. VR could eliminate a lot of hassle, providing users easy way to examine new furniture.

If they get a system where you can specify the layout of your house and have access to the full IKEA catalog with all the color variations, etc, and they let you place stuff around, it would be amazing. Like, before moving somewhere I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars just to get the app and check everything here first. And even then it would probably be free (free advertising!)

Project Tango :)

Anth0ny

stuff like this is what will really drive VR in the future, I think.

Paertan

That is actually pretty cool. Their kitchen builder is kind of neat even though I have cursed a lot over the UI. But great way to see how the kitchen would look.

Does it come with a feature to make it impossible to take off your headset until you have navigated an elaborate maze?

It'll come with hidden, off to the corner short cuts to bypass the entire maze.

You guys need to check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivxi_GvUx1Y

Prank done by the two guys behind What Does The Fox Say song. They're basically shutting customers into rooms in IKEA.

Edit: Here's another they did at IKEA, but without english subs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGSTN8i_lc

This is quite a boring,and OT post for a gaming forum, but architecture and interior design could really benefit from VR IMHO.

We are lucky enough to be considering a new kitchen, and figuring out a good design is a PITA. The current 3d models you get on a screen are good, but nowhere near as effective as previewing them in VR.

IKEA, or whoever sells the current 3d kitchen design software really needs to develop a VR plugin....once more than 3 people have a headset!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see what Ikea has cooked up for E3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't someone say in another thread that nearly all their catalog is CG now?

I guess re-using assets - or versions thereof - in a VR catalog makes all the sense in the world.

Reviews look good, but it's a bummer there's no cards or achievements.

I can't help but feel that we'll see a lot of virtual showcasing of real life goods in this way in the future. Hell of a lot cheaper than showrooms.

Coreda

I can't help but feel that we'll see a lot of virtual showcasing of real life goods in this way in the future. Hell of a lot cheaper than showrooms.

Would companies be happy putting realistic looking and functioning product models in their games though, if others can extract them. This current version appears to have vastly simplified versions of the Ikea designs.

Top Bottom