• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IKEA released a VR game on Steam

Why furnish your home when you can have a VR home. I can see it now, a not-so-distant dystopian world where we all live in blank, bare apartments.

JSoup

Banned
Would companies be happy putting realistic looking and functioning product models in their games though, if others can extract them. This current version appears to have vastly simplified versions of the Ikea designs.

Hasn't stopped custom item designers in Second Life.

MaLDo

It will be killer when it can create a VR version of your current home and you can start placing their products around it to see how it will look before you go and buy them.

Imagine if game devs can sell locations from their games to add in your VR-House.

Open this door to enter in Mario Word room. Or Brightstone Cove?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VR shopping could have so much potential for a lot of things.

I've often wondered why online supermarket shopping doesn't use an FPS engine. I could run around and grab the things we need really quickly, compared to the horrible scrolling lists you get now.

bj00rn_

Banned
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ikea/newsitem/040516_Virtual-Reality

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/447270/ss_427075207fd93fc76b60026cd32efb7b4bc1fa37.600x338.jpg?t=1459838539[IMG]

do you like video games
do u like meatballs
here ikea's new video game

[url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/447270/[/url]

"IKEA VR Experience"

[LIST]
[*]Put on your VR headset and prepare to explore our kitchen in full 3D.
[*]Enjoy walking around and interacting with some parts of it just like you were there.
[*]Instantly change the look and feel of the kitchen by selecting a different material finish.
[*]Explore the kitchen from a child’s point of view or as a tall person.
[*]Find the drawers that can be opened. Pick up a frying pan and place it on the stove.
[*]Recycle the vegetable skins in the waste sorting station.
[/LIST]

the game has changed, baby
ikea is here to flip the industry on it's head with food and particleboard

lås om gamla[/QUOTE]

Haha, this is awesome. I planned our Ikea kitchen at our old home using their web tools a few years ago, I wish I had this back then, would be so much more intuitive.

Keasar

Not what I expected.

I was hoping for a survival horror game where you navigate an endless maze of a typical IKEA store, slowly becoming more and more insane as you loose yourself in the never ending corridors of furniture and confusing signs. Your health slowly drops as you scramble to find the nearest restaurant to refill on nutritional (allegedly) meatballs and you continue your search for an exit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is the VR killer app my mom was waiting for.

And me. I have no shame in admitting I have my own IKEA Family card.

Thud

They'll add a DIY cabinet simulator. After going to a few steps you notice that there's not enough materials.

The game just got real.

Not what I expected.

I was hoping for a survival horror game where you navigate an endless maze of a typical IKEA store, slowly becoming more and more insane as you loose yourself in the never ending corridors of furniture and confusing signs. Your health slowly drops as you scramble to find the nearest restaurant to refill on nutritional (allegedly) meatballs and you continue your search for an exit.

51hggt7LL%2BL._SX419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's all coming together.

dity

Übermatik;200192062 said:
Why furnish your home when you can have a VR home. I can see it now, a not-so-distant dystopian world where we all live in blank, bare apartments.

Less cleaning. Let's do it.

Krejlooc

Banned
This isnt really a game, nor is it really an experience (like say apollo 11 or sight line the chair). It's closer to a vr app than anything.

woopWOOP

This is the kind the of stuff I legit expect VR to be really useful with. Betcha the amount of showrooms will decrease when the whole thing becomes mainstream enough.

To be honest, VR could be brilliant for this stuff. If you're looking for a new apartment, it'd be fantastic if instead of getting 3d renders from the real estate guy, they'd put up a 3d model that you could walk around in to get a feel for what the place will look like once it's finished instead of having to actually drive there to check out a construction site.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is the kind the of stuff I legit expect VR to be really useful with. Betcha the amount of showrooms will decrease when the whole thing becomes mainstream enough.

Every Ikea I've ever been to has been two stories tall - the top story being multiple showrooms and the bottom story being a food court and inventory warehouse. If they could reduce the store to just one story by replacing the showroom with a few VR pods that can change into other rooms, that would be a huge deal for Ikea I'd imagine.

Lé Blade Runner;200190430 said:
This is actually a great way to get my girlfriend on board the VR -train.

"I bought that expensive new computer and VR headset so that YOU can go to Ikea every day!"
You sir are a genius !! Love it!

Dex815

Oh boy those steam reviews :D

"I played this just to steal the pencils"

"A lifelike experience, 10 minutes in and I'm already lost."

singhr1

It will be killer when it can create a VR version of your current home and you can start placing their products around it to see how it will look before you go and buy them.

That seems like a better application of AR than VR, unless you are filling an empty room. Nobody's furniture is just an IKEA catalogue

LNBL

Awesome

Perhaps in the future you can visit open houses and check them out from your own living room.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This just got a very important update:

Since we published the small IKEA Kitchen VR experience the most frequent request have been; we want meatballs! Of course we listened!

Starting today we offer meatballs as well as veggie balls in our VR kitchen.

Top Bottom