• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pool Nation VR (HTC Vive) will launch on June 1

Zalusithix

So how do you properly anchor your hands for a clean shot without an actual table?

Press a button, freeze your "resting" hand's position in the virtual world. Then you only have to worry about your free hand's position in relation to it, much like the real world..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So how do you properly anchor your hands for a clean shot without an actual table?

You can lock the cue by pressing the trigger. From one of the reviews:

If you press the left trigger the pool cue will lock in space. This allows for a back and forth movement which is just perfect to aim your ball. If you choose, you can then press your right trigger.

This will allow for movements that pivot around the first lock you placed on your cue. If done correctly, you should be able to spin the ball. The physics are so incredible that you can spin the ball and perform various trick shots.

Bought. Just need to get off work now lol.

In order to play pool without a real pool table, developers Cherry Pop Games and Perilous Orbit required a system that would allow tactile feedback without haptic response. This has lead to a ‘lock’ system, in which one of the HTC Vive’s motion-controllers is used in the hand you rest your cue and held to lock in place, while your second hand lines-up the position on the ball and asserts force. It’s intuitive and feels like a very accurate representation of actually holding a cue.

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/06/review-pool-nation-vr/

EDIT: Beaten with a pool cue.

Hale-XF11

Karak

Almost posted my review. Long story short. Its excellent pool in a VR game and probably the best real world skill to virtual world translation and then back again I have ever witnessed.

Zalusithix

Almost posted my review. Long story short. Its excellent pool in a VR game and probably the best real world skill to virtual world translation and then back again I have ever witnessed.

Cool, my sucking at it has been confirmed before I've even strapped on the headset!

Karak

Cool, my sucking at it has been confirmed before I've even strapped on the headset!

Oh dude. Its hilarious. I play but I am ok to middling and I swear after maybe 5 minutes my game was pretty much identical to RL. But it will make you better if you continued to play.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Played it about 15 minutes, but I forgot to charge my controllers so I have to wait for that now. I tried just the free play, throwing some darts and going around the room. A lot of attention has gone into all the little details, like that domino or the fact that you can open the refrigerators and pick up bottles and so on. Really nice. And the locking mechanism and the physics seem spot on.

Zalusithix

Played it about 15 minutes, but I forgot to charge my controllers so I have to wait for that now. I tried just the free play, throwing some darts and going around the room. A lot of attention has gone into all the little details, like that domino or the fact that you can open the refrigerators and pick up bottles and so on. Really nice. And the locking mechanism and the physics seem spot on.

How is the dart throwing? Throwing has been one of those difficult areas in the games that have supported it. Getting it to feel natural and react the way you'd expect it to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How is the dart throwing? Throwing has been one of those difficult areas in the games that have supported it. Getting it to feel natural and react the way you'd expect it to.

I threw just 3 darts and 2 of them went pretty well, but I don't have yet a full opinion on it. Maybe it's missing a bit of a feedback, like you don't feel the weight of the throw, but the physics of it seemed pretty nice.

Karak

I hated it. Spent about 4 hours with it and its not that its lacking precision its that something is a bit patchy with the physics and that is ok as its a pool game.
What it needs is a bit more oomph to to the output tracked to the wand. As my friends put it. It acts like they weighs 90 pounds.
Easily patched and you can get good but it never feels like the vr representation of its activity or have near the real 1 for 1 feel that the pool has.

Zalusithix

I threw just 3 darts and 2 of them went pretty well, but I don't have yet a full opinion on it. Maybe it's missing a bit of a feedback, like you don't feel the weight of the throw, but the physics of it seemed pretty nice.

Ah, so you barely had time to fool around with the darts.

I hated it. Spent about 4 hours with it and its not that its lacking precision its that something is a bit patchy with the physics and that is ok as its a pool game.
What it needs is a bit more oomph to to the output tracked to the wand. As my friends put it. It acts like they weighs 90 pounds.
Easily patched and you can get good but doesn't have near the real 1 for 1 feel that the pool has.

Yeah, it's not important as darts aren't the primary feature of the game. I was just curious because it's one of those problems that hasn't been accomplished in VR yet without caveats. The rapid motion combined with general noise on controller readings apparently doesn't leave a lot of usable data to work with.

I'm not sure about this game to be honest, just had one match and my neck is aching. Not having anything to lean on, bending down to line up shots just feels awkward and weird.

Thinking of actually refunding it, but might try again some other time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure about this game to be honest, just had one match and my neck is aching. Not having anything to lean on, bending down to line up shots just feels awkward and weird.

Maybe try not to bend over so much. You can fix it pretty low if you extend your hand.

bj00rn_

Banned

Leaning isn't mandatory unless you demand pure realism from it. An acceptable "cheat" if you don't want to lean in any way is to simply place yourself inside the table when taking a shot and take full advantage of the ghost ball preview.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Love it so far..but controls are abit weird.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to change my hand position on the Cue so i feel like i'm holding it in a kids grip. I want to grip the cue at the end about 2inches from the end of the stick. Thats how I hold it in real life and it feels like i'm bunting the way it is now.

Besides that..its awesome it looks great and plays great..darts is cool the only problem is I keep hitting the HMD with the Vive controller trying to shoot it properly..and the amount you have to pull the trigger to hold the dart is to much..if you could just lightly pull it to hold the dart the release would be more natural.(wheres the line for where your suppose to stand LOL.

BTW adjustable cane works fabulously for supporting your left hand on the table If i can figure out how to extend backhand grip I'll be able to play very close to real life

cakefoo

I can't for the life of me figure out how to change my hand position on the Cue so i feel like i'm holding it in a kids grip. I want to grip the cue at the end about 2inches from the end of the stick. Thats how I hold it in real life and it feels like i'm bunting the way it is now.

Besides that..its awesome it looks great and plays great..darts is cool the only problem is I keep hitting the HMD with the Vive controller trying to shoot it properly..and the amount you have to pull the trigger to hold the dart is to much..if you could just lightly pull it to hold the dart the release would be more natural.(wheres the line for where your suppose to stand LOL.

BTW adjustable cane works fabulously for supporting your left hand on the table If i can figure out how to extend backhand grip I'll be able to play very close to real life
A stool works well too, with its large surface and stable legs. I opted to stand still next to the stool and teleport/ratchet myself into position for the next shot. Ratchet turns are a little nauseating though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

If you move the back controller (like drawing back the stick) before locking it you can get a cue grip closer to the end.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
If you move the back controller (like drawing back the stick) before locking it you can get a cue grip closer to the end.

WUNDEBAR! I'm gonna try that right now

As well apparently if you disable Aim assist you can put english on the ball!

found out if you use the up and down arrows you can change the height of the table..seems to help but I've noticed some drift so constantly need to reset

Zalusithix

Well, it certainly feels like pool alright. Right down to the fact that the easy AI won 5/5 times. =P May I suggest a "hopelessly inept" AI level for a future update? Ya know, for us folk that play pool IRL every other decade (and have no desire to learn to play well).

Performance wise, things were smooth at medium, but for some odd reason partway through a match it would sometimes start dropping tons of frames until the game was exited and restarted. Didn't happen during any freeplay session, only against AI. I can only assume it wouldn't happen in online play and is some odd bug with the AI.

Oh, and the first time I used the reposition feature... instant queasiness. Once my mind adjusted to what was happening, I was fine, but damn that first time.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya default scale people models are to small. feels like everyone shrunk..cept the dartboard..its HUGE :)

maybe I need to really try Altspace but man multiplayer is just so fun, really laidback shoot the breeze while playing fun. the sense of presence with someone chatting as they're shooting is really good.
The game is made for having 2 or more multiplayer tables all in the same space. It would be amazing.

Karak

Either my floor needs to be calibrated or all of the human background people are like 5' tall max.

Hhm. Mine looks fine with people taller than me.

EDIT: Actually I see interspersed bits where they are shorter and I DID re-calibrate prior to that happening First time with everything fine I was roomscale then standing room everyone got small.
Also the patch to the final version was prior to the weirdness as well. So it could be a problem in the patch, or a problem with the floor setting which seems more likely.

Well, it certainly feels like pool alright. Right down to the fact that the easy AI won 5/5 times. =P May I suggest a "hopelessly inept" AI level for a future update? Ya know, for us folk that play pool IRL every other decade (and have no desire to learn to play well).

Performance wise, things were smooth at medium, but for some odd reason partway through a match it would sometimes start dropping tons of frames until the game was exited and restarted. Didn't happen during any freeplay session, only against AI. I can only assume it wouldn't happen in online play and is some odd bug with the AI.

Oh, and the first time I used the reposition feature... instant queasiness. Once my mind adjusted to what was happening, I was fine, but damn that first time.

Me too I paused grabbed some Dramamine and though ohhhhh shit. But then for some odd reason it just magically seemed normal. But that first time you move the entire world its fucking insane on your balance systems.

Helznicht

Either my floor needs to be calibrated or all of the human background people are like 5' tall max.

Yep, being 6' 4" tall means I am a giant in game, table felt tiny also. Looking at the balls while lining up a shot, balls look really fuzzy. Altogether really not immersive for me. I refunded, even though I felt the gameplay was great in general.

https://www.twitch.tv/seriousgaming

just saw this guy face plant into his garage wall trying to lean over for a long shot.

but now his screen is black and he's too drunk to fix it~

fSMBZTo.png

http://oddshot.tv/shot/SeriousGaming/UzopCOYwpCNNyrjr2ydNSyNR

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
VR doesn't go well with being drunk. But this game would benefit so much from some kind of tracked sensor to put on the beer bottle. Would fit the atmosphere perfectly.

Novocaine

Oddly enough even though it's not compatible this will be a Games With Gold title for the months of July August and September.

MrS

Banned
Wish I had a VIVE to play this on. It looks and sounds incredible and I know my dad would eat this up for sure. Very impressed by Karak's words on it too.

My body feels weird playing this game. I can totally understand why Alan fell after taking the shot. My eyes see that I'm leaning on the table but my body doesn't feel it. It's a strange feeling.

Hopefully Alan, and his Vive are OK.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
VR doesn't go well with being drunk. But this game would benefit so much from some kind of tracked sensor to put on the beer bottle. Would fit the atmosphere perfectly.

When people say they don't need the camera on these things I just assume they don't have a beer on a table a tthe edge of their play space, i use the tron mode toggle all the time to find the keyboard or take a drink etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There is one update now live on Steam mostly focusing on performance improvements:

A new build has been uploaded today with several changes that should result in increased performance for everyone. Here's the list of changes:
  • Temporarily removed capsule shadows on NPC characters
  • Removed unneeded per-bone calculations on NPC characters
  • Removed particle calculation from match win screen still being active when not shown.
  • Blueprint optimizations for the balls.
  • Fixed the light constraint on the table light.
  • Stopped the user being able to grab the table light off the ceiling.
  • Multiplayer replication improvements added, overall online experience should be more robust.
  • Added lobby numbers to stop different builds finding each other.

Top Bottom