• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank reviews

Jacob4815

There are at least 11 planets confirmed to be returning, and apparently there are three new world entirely? So there should be at least fourteen.

If confirmed, that is a good number.

But 14 planets in 5 hours? They should be very very short if that playthrough is correct.

NOTE: The stuff spoilered is very possible spoilers based on the Trophy List!

So based on the Trophy List (aka. it could definitely be wrong), there would be
thirteen planets, with two new ones added.

I have to admit that would be bit disappointing, since the first game had 18 Planets. Eudora, Orxon, Gemlik Base and Oltanis seem to have been cut completely, while Hoven, Drek's Fleet and final Veldin have been either moved to other planets, or turned into something new.
Yoooo

they cut orxon? The fuck? It was so cool visiting the blarg home world. Had to go there as clank first cause the atmosphere was toxic but then you go back as ratchet for the nanotech soda

Oltanis was cool too with all the lighting and meeting up with salemans qwark for getting the gadgetron pda

Picking up R&C later this week because my girlfriend use to play R&C games when she was little but why does it have to be coming out the same time as DS3 and updates to other games :(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People always read into review embargoes as if they imply weakness.

What companies are doing is trying to control when all of a sudden your feed is full of reviews. This increases saturation.

Also, they want you to be able to buy it as soon as you read the review or soon after, not everyone will preorder.

Exactly this. Review embargoes are more often then not, marketing tools.

And not every game has benefits from an embargo lifting weeks before release. R&C aint no UC.

It also helps curb (not always, but helps) reviewers rushing through just to get a review out to be the first to get most of the internet hits, where they could have missed key points of the game, etc., where as it gives them all equal time to play the game, and thus as gamers, we should be able to separate those who thoroughly did their job in the same time table compared to those who did not. Also helps on spoilers spreading too much as well.

It is not to "hide from reviews to trick us dumb customers", since you know, you do not have to buy day one. ;)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just finished the game and posted my results in another thread. Completing only the main story took me about
5 hours and eighteen minutes!
However like previously noted, that was the time for just finishing the main story, and doing very minimal side quests and looking for collectibles.

5 hours :(... That's awful. The mainline r+c games used to take about 10+ when just playing casually. Sounds more in line with into the nexus then. Having second thoughts about day one purchase, but I'll wait for more reports on length.

Nev

Banned
People expecting a game as good as the first R&C lmao. You'll get a glorified third person shooter like the 8 games that came after it and you'll be lucky if they kept any platforming/melee combat section.

I don't know how could some people be excited for this when the only game that wasn't a 90% "rawwwwr shoot everything explosions particles badasss waves of enemies everywheree" shooter was the first one, and this seems to fix that mistake by making it also another shooter.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
People expecting a game as good as the first R&C lmao. You'll get a glorified third person shooter like the 8 games that came after it and you'll be lucky if they kept any platforming/melee combat section.

I don't know how could some people be excited for this when the only game that wasn't a 90% "rawwwwr shoot everything explosions particles badasss waves of enemies everywheree" shooter was the first one, and this seems to fix that mistake by making it also another shooter.

lolllll wtf.

Playsage

What the fuck I am reading?
Have you actually played a R&C after the first one?
lol

Tuck

thatsbait.gif

You know, even the majority of the first game had you engaging in gun fights and enemy encounters, so naturally, the refinement of R&C's shooter mechanics after the original is going to make the series a lot better for most people. So I'd imagine a lot of people are excited for the same reason you're trying to downplay it tbh. The games were never that platforming heavy. (And we've already seen a bunch of returning platforming sections anyway)

Go back to playing Quantum break or Rise of the tomb raider.

Shredderi

Sounds about right if you just play through the main story without doing any side stuff.

One of the things I love about the Ratchet and Clank games is upgrading the weapons.

According to howlongtobeat the older games were 10+ hours just for the main story. If it really is just 5-6 hours here then it's a significantly smaller game than the past games.

What did Insomniac do to you? Ridiculous.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Stupid post.

Well R&C is a known quantity.

Expect mid 80s

Same.

cheesekao

Into the nexus got a 76. If that 5 hour mark is right I would expect on the lower end of the spectrum.
That person has already said that he burned through the game on normal with minimal side activities and collectibles. I'm no speedrunner and I can burn through bloodborne in less than 5 hours. Doesn't make it a 5 hour game though.

Warxard

Banned

Huh.

Nev

Banned
I haven't played the games, I'm an xbox fanboy (ayy), I'm stupid... What else can you guess from a post saying the games are actually shooters and not platformers?

Yes I have played them and yes, the only one that doesn't have you shooting wave after wave of enemies for the majority of the game is the first game even if there are weapons too. Using the melee weapon is actually viable in that one and weapons are only a way to help you go through the level instead of a mandatory gameplay mechanic like in the rest of the series. The last level of R&C1 is representative of what it'd sadly become.

Go back to Quantum Break? Haha really, jesus.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Into the nexus got a 76. If that 5 hour mark is right I would expect on the lower end of the spectrum.

That person has already said that he burned through the game on normal with minimal side activities and collectibles. I'm no speedrunner and I can burn through bloodborne in less than 5 hours. Doesn't make it a 5 hour game though.

This... oh and, $40 ($32 with GCU/Prime). /shrug

I'm so glad this is being remade. I git into ratchet and clank during the PS3 Era and recently checked out the ps2 games. Up your arsenal and going commando are GOAT, the first one is rough though. I was fighting the controls because I was used to the modern games.

Burbeting

Banned
I haven't played the games, I'm an xbox fanboy (ayy), I'm stupid... What else can you guess from a post saying the games are actually shooters and not platformers?

Yes I have played them and yes, the only one that doesn't have you shooting wave after wave of enemies for the majority of the game is the first game even there are weapons too. Using the melee weapon is actually viable in that one and weapons are only a way to help you go through the level instead of a mandatory gameplay mechanics like in the rest of the series. The last level of R&C1 is representative of what it'd sadly become.

I understand this stance well enough, the first game has lot of design decisions that are very different to how things were handled in the later games (weapons weren't as important to the game, no strafing meant that game couldn't focus as much in shooting mechanics).

It's a double edged sword. In the other hand the later games brought lot of great mechanics that made the games simply more fun to play, strafin being the most critical one. On the other hand, the games also became much more shooting focused, especially starting with Up Your Arsenal. If someone dislikes that approach, that's fine to me.

I myself like the shooting gameplay lot, but I do sometimes miss the bit different aspects of the series, that first game, and to somewhat similar degree GC, still had. But I do think that many of the aspects in the original game have aged badly as well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This... oh and, $40 ($32 with GCU/Prime). /shrug

He never said he burned through it he said minimal collecting and side quests. There is a difference. Minimal collecting in the other games lead to 10+ hours.

Into the nexus also launched at 40 BTW and gcu existed.

cheesekao

He never said he burned through it he said minimal collecting and side quests. There is a difference. Minimal collecting in the other games lead to 10+ hours.

So the playthrough I just finished took me about
5 hours, 18 minutes
. I am by no means any good at these games, however I did play on normal difficulty. This is also without going out of my way for any collectibles or completing most of the side missions (I think I may have done one because I thought it was necessary).

Also none of that time is from idling, as I gathered my completion time from the footage that I have saved on my computer, which is composed of straight gameplay!

I must also add that Ratchet games on normal is hardly challenging.

I can say much because of the embargo, but it took me around 10 hours to finish the game with some optional stuff done and half the gold bolts collected.

And after you finish the game, you unlock the
Challenge mode
. To be honest, I think the duration of this R&C is on par with previous tittles.

Does anyone know why they cut some planets? And is all the cheeky humour from the PS2 era Ratchet in the game?
I would imagine it is because they added new ones. It is a mix of old and new.

I guess someone who has played could answer the second question but I don't see any reason to believe the humor wouldn't be there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I must also add that Ratchet games on normal is hardly challenging.

I've played every ratchet, as posted above, the average finish time is around 10-12 for the vast majority of people campaign only. he may be the outlier but 5 hours playing casually focused on campaign only is VERY short. Its only 1 impression but it wasn't like he's trying to be malicious. Again he never says he burned through, just did very few side quests. With side quests and collectibles the originals were up towards 20+

This sounds more in line with nexus if true. I'll wait for more impressions but if 5 hours is true, its hard to justify buying this day 1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can say much because of the embargo, but it took me around 10 hours to finish the game with some optional stuff done and half the gold bolts collected.

Challenge mode
. To be honest, I think the duration of this R&C is on par with previous tittles.

Sounds great to me.

Yes I have played them and yes, the only one that doesn't have you shooting wave after wave of enemies for the majority of the game is the first game even if there are weapons too. Using the melee weapon is actually viable in that one and weapons are only a way to help you go through the level instead of a mandatory gameplay mechanics like in the rest of the series. The last level of R&C1 is representative of what it'd sadly become.

When you come in here and say such a ridiculous/ignorant statement like "you'd be lucky if any of the platforming sections came back" along with your rant, especially when we've already seen a bunch of them return, it's not surprising people would have responded to you as if you were just a troll.

cheesekao

I've played every ratchet, as posted above, the average finish time is around 10-12 for the vast majority of people campaign only. he may be the outlier but 5 hours playing casually focused on campaign only is VERY short. Its only 1 impression but it wasn't like he's trying to be malicious. Again he never says he burned through, just did very few side quests. With side quests and collectibles the originals were up towards 20+

This sounds more in line with nexus if true. I'll wait for more impressions but if 5 hours is true, its hard to justify buying this day 1.
I don't consider 'burning through' as rushing btw. We'll know what the average completion time is once enough time passes but one of the devs has stated that he was an outlier based on playtest info.

Not sure if serious.

The first game was by far the worst game in the series, other than cracked out Ratchet. I would summarize it as having good ideas that were poorly executed, and the result was something that wasn't that fun to play in the end. Each of the four mainline sequels improved upon it in nearly every way possible. I'm glad the first game is getting the love it deserves, and I hope it does well so we'll get more mainline Ratchet games in the future.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't consider 'burning through' as rushing btw. We'll know what the average completion time is but one of the devs has stated that he was an outlier based on they playtest info.

That'd be good to hear. 7 would be disappointing 8+ I would be happy. I don't want this to be a movie tag on remake is all. A shorter experience would make it seem that way. Tomorrow the embargo lifts so I'll be waiting patiently.

SMFH...all I got to say.

Challenge mode
So, without spilling the beans, does it look like a return to form for R&C?

Unknown?

Challenge mode

Sounds good to me and about what the previous ones took to beat.

Playsage

Yes I have played them and yes, the only one that doesn't have you shooting wave after wave of enemies for the majority of the game is the first game even if there are weapons too. Using the melee weapon is actually viable in that one and weapons are only a way to help you go through the level instead of a mandatory gameplay mechanics like in the rest of the series. The last level of R&C1 is representative of what it'd sadly become.

Except that the wrench is actually usable in the rest of the games, especially ACiT where it was "buffed" due to letting you move and strafe while using Comet Strike and making it a more contextual tool in the game). If you were able to actually get past the middle of the first game mainly using the wrench, you can use it in the sequels.
The wrench isn't that fun to use with the whacky arsenals they give you, which includes some new melee weapons.

Then, the game is still far from being "90% shooter" (well, except for Gladiator).

Top Bottom