• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank reviews

Boke1879

40 dollar price point is starting to make more sense based on the length reports..

Original game lasted 10-12 without having to switch to hard mode or do a bunch of collectathons.

This is literally half that. Kinda bummed :/

As of now it's one person. Wait for reviews to paint more of a picture.

Dovahking

"length reports"

As in, one person.

GAj0o.gif

Loudninja

For the love of god, can you at least wait until we have more impressions from other people instead of focusing on one guy before you make such a statement?
We have already, 2 reviewers already:

I can say much because of the embargo, but it took me around 10 hours to finish the game with some optional stuff done and half the gold bolts collected.

And after you finish the game, you unlock the
Challenge mode
. To be honest, I think the duration of this R&C is on par with previous tittles.

Hmm interesting. Colin from Kinda Funny said he has played 8 hours and he hasn't finished yet.

In the UK Amazon are one of the worst places to pre order from. Most online retailers will deliver a day or two early but Amazon are either on time or late. On the other hand, they are consistent here (unlike lately with .com).

I guess in the States you don't have the same alternatives we do.

I've never had a single issue regarding Amazon UK orders... Sure, I receive the item on release day but I'm not fussed about breaking release dates. Infact other sites I've used which supposedly ship early never worked for me so I stuck with Amazon UK. They allow tracking on orders now anyway. The issues mainly arise through sales coming from dodgy marketplace sellers.

is this going to have most of the stuff from the fist game? slingshot and stuff (I feel the first R is by far the best Ratchet game)

If it's missing that charm it will be very sad.

The more games they made the less platforming and less interesting their levels got.

Was the pacing good and does it throw a lot of unique challenges within those 5 hours? Are the levels dense rather than broad? People are getting way too hung up on 5 hours when these are the questions they should be wondering about.

Was the pacing good and does it throw a lot of unique challenges within those 5 hours? Are the levels dense rather than broad? People are getting way too hung up on 5 hours when these are the questions they should be wondering about.
Generally speaking, those who've played it said they enjoyed their time with it. So, I think that sort of stuff would have been brought up had it been lacking.

Zach

This is what it's going to be. People focusing on the main campaign will see a short experience. Maybe something like 6-8 hours depending. People doing more will see a longer experience.
It's crazy that this needs to be explained...

Vire

This is what it's going to be. People focusing on the main campaign will see a short experience. Maybe something like 6-8 hours depending. People doing more will see a longer experience.
This is what I'm saying though. The main story is significantly shorter it seems.

You have to do the extras to get the original play length of the main story.

OWklgIe.jpg

Still getting it because I love me some Ratchet and the visuals are phenomenal. Here's hoping that post was an extreme outlier and he is the type of person who beat Uncharted in 4 hours or something.

Lucreto

One person says it's 5 hours long and pointed out he only did the main story on normal and ignored other parts of the game.

People seem to love to believe the worst possible scenario and take it as gospel.

How can the original game take 10 hours to complete but the remake with expanded story, expanded gameplay and more world's be completed in 5?

You can completely Bloodborne in less than 5 hours if you just to the main story and ignore all the other bits. I didn't see people pointing that out.

Hedrush

Oh bs I have the game pre ordered and paid off, I don't know why people jump to these accusations. If the game on average is finished in 5-7 hours that will be a big disappointment and I will wait just like I did with nexus.

Nexus was a damn good time but left me wanting more when I platinumed it in 2 days.

Pre-ordered and paid off but you will just wait. Wait for what? You might as well cancel your pre-order because you have already made your mind up it's too short for you. How long do you want the game to last 20,30,40 hours ffs

You know that you can check the original out for length comparisons. If you beat the original, hell yeah you can finish it in no time, but a first timer is in no way gonna do it in 5 hours

Trace

Banned
To everyone in this thread.

The game is 10 to 12 hours, assuming you actually play the content in the game and not just skip every piece of optional content they've put in.

The game has challenge modes, ridiculous amounts of upgrades, and plays fantastically for multiple playthroughs.

There is no lack of content, don't post like there is.

Vire

One person says it's 5 hours long and pointed out he only did the main story on normal and ignored other parts of the game.

People seem to love to believe the worst possible scenario and take it as gospel.

How can the original game take 10 hours to complete but the remake with expanded story, expanded gameplay and more world's be completed in 5?

You can completely Bloodborne in less than 5 hours if you just to the main story and ignore all the other bits. I didn't see people pointing that out.
Because it's not a direct remake of the original game and certain planets were cut/removed?

Apath

Pre-ordered and paid off but you will just wait. Wait for what? You might as well cancel your pre-order because you have already made your mind up it's too short for you. How long do you want the game to last 20,30,40 hours ffs

This is quite the leap. Going from someone thinking 5-7 is too short to thinking they want the game to last 20, 30, 40 hours? Why are you so offended by him worrying about the length?
To everyone in this thread.

The game is 10 to 12 hours, assuming you actually play the content in the game and not just skip every piece of optional content they've put in.

The game has challenge modes, ridiculous amounts of upgrades, and plays fantastically for multiple playthroughs.

There is no lack of content, don't post like there is.
Have you actually played through it then, or is this just baseless conjecture? I'm hoping it's the former, because while a 5 hour game with extras and replayability is more than fine for me (especially when it cost less than $35), I'd of course like it to be longer than that.

Tuck

And planets were added. Or are we just ignoring that because it doesn't fit your narrative?

It appears that more planets were removed than were added. So we're down from 18 to 13 or 14?

But still that wouldn't explain a five hour drop, unless the planets are all super short.

Unknown?

This is what I'm saying though. The main story is significantly shorter it seems.

You have to do the extras to get the original play length of the main story.

OWklgIe.jpg

Still getting it because I love me some Ratchet and the visuals are phenomenal. Here's hoping that post was an extreme outlier and he is the type of person who beat Uncharted in 4 hours or something.

Dude... I can beat the original in way less than 12 hours. My first time was on the PS3 collection and I beat it in 8 hours, but I just glossed through it. I then went back for all the added content.

Trace

Banned
Okay? The total number of planets is still less based on what someone was saying in the other thread.

Or does that not fit your narrative? /super obnoxious post.

Total number is down yes, planets are longer though. Compare the gaspar gameplay they've shown to the PS2 release. There's significantly more content there.

The developers have stated that they merged planets, for instance
Drek's homeworld and the warbot production facility are on the same planet now.

sn00zer

OMG REDUCED PRICE GAME MIGHT BE SHORTER THAN OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES AAAAHHHHHHH

Seriously its probably a little shorter than other mainline games, its also at a reduced price, so what's the problem?

Alpende

OMG REDUCED PRICE GAME MIGHT BE SHORTER THAN OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES AAAAHHHHHHH

Seriously its probably a little shorter than other mainline games, its also at a reduced price, so what's the problem?

This is how I feel about it. There are plenty of games that go for full price that are similar in length or shorter. But with R&C it's a problem?

Vire

How many were in the original and how many are in the new game?

18 to 13 or 14 apparently? I don't know, haven't played it, but that's what someone was quoted as saying?

I find it incomprehensible that people here have to defend a game to the point where someone isn't allowed to be disappointed it's shorter than the original game it's based off of. It's not even like they are losing a sale lol, I'm still buying it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The mere fact that a certain handful of people are latching on to what ONE person said in here, and IGNORING what 3 other people who also played it have said, all while saying it is in line with the other R&C games, shows beautiful confirmation bias at play. You got the answer you are latching on to, congrats(?), get over yourselves, and move on.

It really is that simple. Sitting here arguing about shit none of us have tangible proof on yet, as if it were fact, is just, well, non constructive and boring.

This is how I feel about it. There are plenty of games that go for full price that are similar in length or shorter. But with R&C it's a problem?

Yep.

I will say this, if some objectives from planets were removed that would be seriously disappointing.

I figured this game would be easy to remake, it's as linear as games get. It's always get off middle of planet, choose either left or right, finish said side then go do other side. Simple and fun

Edit: ^^^^oh that's good too hear.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I don't get it. Why is everyone thinking it should be the original's length given it is only 40$?

The mere fact that a certain handful of people are latching on to what ONE person said in here, and IGNORING what 3 other people who also played it have said, all while saying it is in line with the other R&C games, shows beautiful confirmation bias at play. You got the answer you are latching on to, congrats(?), get over yourselves, and move on.

It really is that simple. Sitting here arguing about shit none of us have tangible proof on yet, as if it were fact, is just, well, non constructive and boring.

Yep.

Yeah for all we know he could have just barreled through each level trying to finish it as fast as possible. A lot of $60 games can be 6 hours if you do that.

18 to 13 or 14 apparently? I don't know, haven't played it, but that's what someone was quoted as saying?

I find it incomprehensible that people here have to defend a game to the point where someone isn't allowed to be disappointed it's shorter than the original game it's based off of. It's not even like they are losing a sale lol, I'm still buying it.
I think it is more that it is based on one person and is being used as fact. This is while ignoring others who have played the game and stated otherwise.

If it is short, it is short. I don't think there is anything indicating that will be the case though. We just don't know.

Top Bottom