• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank reviews

Fuck, thanks for reminding me. My backlog. Gonna romp through it soon!

Ah, ok. Maybe after Ratchet they'll move on to a PS4 remaster of R3? The guns in that game were great fun, and Wolfenstein proved there's still an audience for a story-driven FPS.

EDIT - sorry, wrong quote. I meant 'ah, ok' re: not many people playing it.

Ah, ok. Maybe after Ratchet they'll move on to a PS4 remaster of R3? The guns in that game were great fun, and Wolfenstein proved there's still an audience for a story-driven FPS.

EDIT - sorry, wrong quote. I meant 'ah, ok' re: not many people playing it.

I doubt Insomniac will waste any time remastering Resistance 3.

timmyp53

I doubt Insomniac will waste any time remastering Resistance 3.

Yeah they're too busy working on Resistance 4.
r2-5.jpg

Loudninja

Just a note on the game length from my personal experience:

I'm about 8 hours into the game and I still have what looks like a few more planets to explore. To beat this thing in 5 hrs, you have to rush through without hitting the optional content, like the jetpack brain-collecting. I haven't been collecting every little bolt/ golden bolt, but I've been doing all of the optional objectives on each world and it's taken me this long.

So yeah, don't fret about game length. It's totally variable depending how quickly you rush through.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I know I'm digging this up again, but please try to understand. He said 5.5 hours skipping most collectibles and side quests. The old games could not be done in 5.5 hours even if you skipped all the aide stuff and focused on the campaign. Its very easy to comprehend.

Loris146

I know I'm digging this up again, but please try to understand. He said 5.5 hours skipping most collectibles and side quests. The old games could not be done in 5.5 hours even if you skipped all the aide stuff and focused on the campaign. Its very easy to comprehend.

Old games were not 39,99 $. It's not a fair comparison. I think Insomniac and Sony tried to achieve a good balance between budget, contents and retail price. We'll see next week if they did good or not.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Old games were not 39,99 $. It's not a fair comparison. I think Insomniac and Sony tried to achieve a good balance between budget, contents and retail price. We'll see next week if they did good or not.

Agreed there. nexus was though and if its nexus length/range as I said I'll be holding off. If its longer I'm still in.

Edit- we've also been told this is a full fledged game. The price supposedly has nothing to do with length.

Resistance 3 had some cool moments, but was underwhelming overall. Still, I was at least able to get into it and beat it all, whereas Resistance 2 didn't hold my attention for long. Perhaps it's because I tried to play it a year or two ago, after having bought it at launch.

I liked Resistance quite a bit.

I hope they'll work on new games as opposed to remastering Resistance. It's not a series I need to play again on PS4. I'd prefer a new Sunset Overdrive, another Ratchet or a new shooter.

Loudninja

Resistance 3 had some cool moments, but was underwhelming overall. Still, I was at least able to get into it and beat it all, whereas Resistance 2 didn't hold my attention for long. Perhaps it's because I tried to play it a year or two ago, after having bought it at launch.

I liked Resistance quite a bit.

I hope they'll work on new games as opposed to remastering Resistance. It's not a series I need to play again on PS4. I'd prefer a new Sunset Overdrive, another Ratchet or a new shooter.
They working on Song of the Deep its a smaller game but it is something new.

There we go, this sounds more believable than 5 hours.

What are you basing that on? The person saying 10 hours did not specify whether or not that included side missions or collecting. Meanwhile, it was clearly stated that the 5.5 hour estimate from the other person was purely the main content. So it's entirely plausible that the 10 hours includes some side stuff, making the main content 5-7 hours long. Nothing wrong with that either.

I think you could complete say Tools of Destruction in 5 1/2 hours if playing on normal and plowing through.

Concept17

A new resistance would be interesting. I don't think '4' would garner enough attention, while a reboot or spin-off would have to do something radically new for the series or even the genre to get people excited.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What's the obsession with length in games?

The majority of "long" games these days are so fucking bloated with padding that it actually ruins the experience more often than not.

I've loved short games for as long as I can remember. Expensive or not. As long as the game is good. As a matter of fact, given my backlog and the fact that I'm buying games for 3 consoles, short games are a fucking godsend. Into the Nexus was the perfect length in my opinion.

Add the free Plus and Gold games into the mix and I just don't have the time to devote to these 50-100 hour games.

The God

W .

The majority of "long" games these days are so fucking bloated with padding that it actually ruins the experience more often than not.

I've loved short games for as long as I can remember. Expensive or not. As long as the game is good. As a matter of fact, given my backlog and the fact that I'm buying games for 3 consoles, short games are a fucking godsend. Into the Nexus was the perfect length in my opinion.

Add the free Plus and Gold games into the mix and I just don't have the time to devote to these 50-100 hour games.

Some people want a meaty experience for these expensive games. It's that simple. Not saying Ratchet has this problem (I haven't played it obviously), but it's not hard to see why people like long games.

VLiberty

They couldn't? I'm pretty sure they could. Even less than that in challenge mode.

I played a few Ratchet & Clank games, and they aren't small games at all. Going Commando was particularly hefty. The campaign was fairly long and it had tons of side content. On your initially playthrough, you could get anywhere from 12 (rushing) to 20 (taking your time and doing extra) hours.

Five hours is very hard to believe for a casual play through. If that is true, then this game would have significantly less content than all other retail R&C titles.

We'll know the truth when the game releases on Tuesday.

spwolf

Some people want a meaty experience for these expensive games. It's that simple.

so they have side quests for those people?

Since I am casual gamer in these games, It is annoying to me when game is too long since it wont take me 6-7hrs, it will take me 20hrs.

I think having side quests to make it meatier is a lot better choice, it gives something to everyone.

The God

so they have side quests for those people?

Since I am casual gamer in these games, It is annoying to me when game is too long since it wont take me 6-7hrs, it will take me 20hrs.

I think having side quests to make it meatier is a lot better choice, it gives something to everyone.

Sure. I wasn't talking about Ratchet though, just speaking on why people want lengthy games.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Resistance 3 any day over Sunset Overdrive - Much more inventive guns and way better enemies. I miss this franchise so much. Resistance 4 will be amazing if Insomniac and Sony ever decide to green light!

giphy.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They couldn't? I'm pretty sure they could. Even less than that in challenge mode.

Basically from all indications the guy played it casually. Yes he skipped all side stuff and collectibles but he didn't say he was rushing or speedruning. I took that as he was doing a story play through, which ToD was not the case at all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sure. I wasn't talking about Ratchet though, just speaking on why people want lengthy games.

I don't know why this argument is so prevalent "I don't have time so I want shorter games". Nah I don't I want nice lengthy campaigns, 10 hours is the sweet spot. 8 for me is the cut off for short. For me a good game that has length doesn't feel bloated at all.

I don't even mind if the game is 6 hours long. Give me tightly paced, explosive, and engaging campaigns that don't overstay their welcome. I recently finished Quantum Break and it was the perfect length for the story. I'm sick of the endless open world filler machine. Bought and pre-loaded. Bring it on, Insomniac.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't even mind if the game is 6 hours long. Give me tightly paced, explosive, and engaging campaigns that don't overstay their welcome. I recently finished Quantum Break and it was the perfect length for the story. I'm sick of the endless open world filler machine. Bought and pre-loaded. Bring it on, Insomniac.

Insomniac made tightly paced, explosive, and engaging campaigns that were amazing... A series called ratchet and clank.

Except for the poster who completed his first run on normal in 5.5 hours.

Except for the numerous other sources saying it takes at least twice that. Just scroll back a few pages.

I swear we get this for every game that isn't 20+ hours long, bare minimum. Someone gets an copy early, completes it as fast as possible so they can tell everyone on the internet about their experience, and then people flip out.

KORNdoggy

Basically from all indications the guy played it casually. Yes he skipped all side stuff and collectibles but he didn't say he was rushing or speedruning. I took that as he was doing a story play through, which ToD was not the case at all.

Tbh, he never said he didn't speedrun or rush either. You're implying he didn't due to the lack of info, others are implying he did due to lack of info. Neither are right. Wait for more info.

So my roommate has a review copy that I've been playing with and this game is fucking great. Pretty challenging too. Never played a Ratchet game before so I'm just getting mindblown at how surprisingly compelling this shit is.

Maybe I should play the others...

I think you can get this for like 35 bucks on Amazon. Go for it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tbh, he never said he didn't speedrun or rush either. You're implying he didn't due to the lack of info, others are implying he did due to lack of info. Neither are right. Wait for more info.

I agree to an extent. But there are some assumptions safer than others. I would say its safer to assume playing through the campaign you're not going to speed run it that's a much safer bet.

Except for the numerous other sources saying it takes at least twice that. Just scroll back a few pages.

I swear we get this for every game that isn't 20+ hours long, bare minimum. Someone gets an copy early, completes it as fast as possible so they can tell everyone on the internet about their experience, and then people flip out.

Give some examples. I'm not saying your wrong just interested.

I haven't played most of the old R&C games, but I absolutely loved Sunset Overdrive, so I expect a good game here.

They were top tier and they were much more than 6 hours. Hopefully this one is as well.

Top Bottom