• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank reviews

Peterthumpa

This thread is giving me The Order 1886 vibes, haha.

Calm down people. It's probably an 8 to 10 hour game, without going for collectibles and all the optional stuff.

Loudninja

Yes he mentioned that they have combined certain planets, he never mentioned that it was the reason for Gaspar or any other planet being longer than the PS2 versions.
No lol I don't know lol just saying they combine some planets so number of planets being lower dont mean much here.

Vire

This thread is giving me The Order 1886 vibes, haha.

Calm down people. It's probably an 8 to 10 hour game, without going for can collectibles and all the optional stuff.
The Order was 6 hours and it was 60 dollars.

I think we are safe.

Peff

Keep in mind that the original game had awkward button-based strafing and was actually tough-ish, what with only having 4 hitpoints up to an optional max of 8 and later enemies doing 2/3 per hit. This one is probably going to be a lot easier, even on hard.

Hedrush

This is quite the leap. Going from someone thinking 5-7 is too short to thinking they want the game to last 20, 30, 40 hours? Why are you so offended by him worrying about the length?

Why would I be offended. The dude is rambling on about the game lasting 5 hours because one person said he done some sort of speed run. Keep up ffs

Keep in mind that the original game had awkward button-based strafing and was actually tough-ish, what with only having 4 hitpoints up to an optional max of 8 and later enemies doing 2/3 per hit. This one is probably going to be a lot easier, even on hard.
And you can only get hit 4 times for most of the game.

Also bolts were a bit hard to grind haha, everybody after your money in the series.

Trace

Banned
And you can only get hit 4 times for most of the game.

Also bolts were a bit hard to grind haha, everybody after your money in the series.

That's why 1 is the worst in the series, especially bolt-wise. It had no challenge mode with bolt stacking, so you just had to grind out the bolts to get there. Adding it in was such a big difference for multiple playthroughs.

Honestly, if the game really was only 5 hours long (which it probably isn't, unless you rush through it, without doing everything on offer) I still wouldn't care, as long as it looks great, is fun to play and is very funny, like the other games, plus it's only £27.

Those early reviews seem to confirm it's good and all the main Ratchet games have been really good, so I have no problem believing this remake is really good too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Honestly, if the game really was only 5 hours long (which it probably isn't, unless you rush through it, without doing everything on offer) I still wouldn't care, as long as it looks great, is fun to play and is very funny, like the other games, plus it's only £27.

Those early reviews seem to confirm it's good and all the main Ratchet games have been really good, so I have no problem believing this remake is really good too.

Exactly how I feel.

Nothing in the original game dealt more than 1 damage. Also enemies were set up more like a traditional platformer than a shooter. It was pretty rare to get barraged with bullets in that game.

That's why 1 is the worst in the series, especially bolt-wise. It had no challenge mode with bolt stacking, so you just had to grind out the bolts to get there. Adding it in was such a big difference for multiple playthroughs.

It's the worst in the series for a lot of reasons, that definitely being one of them. It was frustrating in all the wrong ways. There were some great ideas in R&C, but it just wasn't that fun to play. GC was one of the biggest improvements from a first to a second game that I've ever played.

Apath

Why would I be offended. The dude is rambling on about the game lasting 5 hours because one person said he done some sort of speed run. Keep up ffs
You tell me. Saying "ffs" makes it sound like you are angry and/or offended. Also trying to debase msdstc's posts by calling them "ramblings" and misrepresenting his source for concern as a speed run makes me think you are arguing more from emotion.

Lucreto

Because it's not a direct remake of the original game and certain planets were cut/removed?

As already stated others were added and the original didn't have parts like the Arena and item Collection which didn't appear until the second game.

Xeteh

I'm excited for this, never played a R&C game before because I was at that great age where I thought they looked like kid games and I was too cool for that shit and I didn't realize I missed out until later.

Peff

Nothing in the original game dealt more than 1 damage. Also enemies were set up more like a traditional platformer than a shooter. It was pretty rare to get barraged with bullets in that game.

Oh, duh, must have been thinking of Jak II, haha. Yeah, the first game definitely focuses on platforming more than all the others except maybe QfB, but it still had the odd tricky encounter here and there. If the remake is anything like Nexus or CiT it should be smooth sailing for the most part.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How does one person admittedly rushing through the game and skipping content become an "average" time? You're skipping over every other comment about its content too.

I said IF, IF I've never guaranteed anything.

Also jsteveons post said it's over 10 with all the side content, nothing directly about length playing straight campaign.

If you count side content for this then you have yo count it for the others which was over 20 hours easy.

You guys don't have to do damage control you're not getting paid to do it, it'll be just fine.

This reminds me of the order thread, there was a play through on YouTube that took about 4 hours, but a few gaffers had it pegged at 8+. The 4 turned out to be a more accurate indication. I'm just saying if that guy beat it in 5 hours without speed running I will be concerned and I'm sure plenty of people will echo that, which is why I'll be cautious and listen to reviews.

If that's the general consensus I will cancel and wait until the price drops like I did with nexus. That doesn't have to get people all riled up just relax.

fastmower

I said IF, IF I've never guaranteed anything.

Also jsteveons post said it's over 10 with all the side content, nothing directly about length playing straight campaign.

If you count side content for this then you have yo count it for the others which was over 20 hours easy.

You guys don't have to do damage control you're not getting paid to do it, it'll be just fine.

This reminds me of the order thread, there was a play through on YouTube that took about 4 hours, but a few gaffers had it pegged at 8+. The 4 turned out to be a more accurate indication. I'm just saying if that guy beat it in 5 hours without speed running I will be concerned and I'm sure plenty of people will echo that, which is why I'll be cautious and listen to reviews.

If that's the general consensus I will cancel and wait until the price drops like I did with nexus. That doesn't have to get people all riled up just relax.
Saying the Order is 8 hours is much more accurate than 4. You must speed through all your games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Saying the Order is 8 hours is much more accurate than 4. You must speed through all your games.

No its not because I platinumed the game in about 8 hours, and it was VERY cutscene heavy. The core game was incredibly short.

Gahd damn this is obnoxious I have plenty of games to reference off of, because again I've played every mainline r+c. I skipped all 4 one and the tower defense one.

Edit- the point is this and I'm going to try to leave it at that, because I'm tired of defending myself over an opinion. If this one takes that long... And this part is key...casually playing the campaign this means not focused on side quests or collectibles. That will be an issue for me. The first six were about twice as long as that doing a casual play through.

Yes its just one person so who knows, but its easier to be optimistic and say well it took this long for me because etc etc, versus somebody objectively comin in and saying, yeah it took 5 hours focusing on just the campaign. He never said rushing through, he never implied a speed run. As a fan of the series that sounds to me similar to into the nexus. Great game but left me wanting more.

This is probably why the review thread should have waited until the embargo was up. Then we would have had a clear pictures of the length with dozens of reviews rolling in.

Well, whatever. We'll know for sure tomorrow.
Yep, I agree. It is always best to gather them all up at once.

1337Sauce

When I posted my original time of about five and a half hours, I NEVER indicated that the game is light on content. I knew people would be quick to point out the time, but simply ignore everything else I said.

There is a large amount of content in this game for what it is, and even today I am still going back to complete things I skipped the first time. 5.5 hours is indicative of literally the BARE MINIMUM so please remember that. This game is absolutely worth your purchase even if you are not a Ratchet and Clank fan. However, I don't see this game lasting you forever unless you feel like playing it ten times. The way I see it, the game is a perfect weekend game that will last you about 10-20 hours depending what you want to get out of it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When I posted my original time of about five and a half hours, I NEVER indicated that the game is light on content. I knew people would be quick to point out the time, but simply ignore everything else I said.

There is a large amount of content in this game for what it is, and even today I am still going back to complete things I skipped the first time. 5.5 hours is indicative of literally the BARE MINIMUM so please remember that. This game is absolutely worth your purchase even if you are not a Ratchet and Clank fan. However, I don't see this game lasting you forever unless you feel like playing it ten times. The way I see it, the game is a perfect weekend game that will last you about 10-20 hours depending what you want to get out of it.

OK I agree there will be a lot of content, all of the mainline games do... However the core game just the story line on the others did not in anyway take 5.5 hours. Maybe a speed run but definitely not casually going through.

Loudninja

Bro you already explain many times now,so dont worry about it.

Hedrush

You tell me. Saying "ffs" makes it sound like you are angry and/or offended. Also trying to debase msdstc's posts by calling them "ramblings" and misrepresenting his source for concern as a speed run makes me think you are arguing more from emotion.

OH please, cmon now. Why are you getting on to me? Why do you care if I'm offended? The guy is clearly rambling on, I'm not the only one who has noticed it so why are you picking out only my posts? Why the hell would I be emotional about a game? I called out a guy for talking about how he's paid off his pre-order but he's going to wait. Wait for what? For insomniac to add on another 5-10 hours of game play to the game just to please him.

Henkka

Banned
OK I agree there will be a lot of content, all of the mainline games do... However the core game just the story line on the others did not in anyway take 5.5 hours. Maybe a speed run but definitely not casually going through.

That's probably why the game is 40$, yeah? They're out to make money, they wouldn't have cut the price by 20$ if they thought people would be fine with it. Props to Insomniac for pricing their game appropriately.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
OH please, cmon now. Why are you getting on to me? Why do you care if I'm offended? The guy is clearly rambling on, I'm not the only one who has noticed it so why are you picking out only my posts? Why the hell would I be emotional about a game? I called out a guy for talking about how he's paid off his pre-order but he's going to wait. Wait for what? For insomniac to add on another 5-10 hours of game play to the game just to please him.

Huh? People are jumping on because I said I'd wait in the event the game is around the length of nexus, that's MY choice. Yes people have noticed, because often people get hyper defensive about games on their specific platform.

I didn't say I cancelled yet, I said IF that's what you don't get, and yes you're clearly getting emotional with how angry you're getting.

Hedrush

Huh? People are jumping on because I said I'd wait in the event the game is around the length of nexus, that's MY choice. Yes people have noticed, because often people get hyper defensive about games on their specific platform.

I didn't say I cancelled yet, I said IF that's what you don't get, and yes you're clearly getting emotional with how angry you're getting.

Fair enough. I'm not angry I'm just annoyed at him now lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's probably why the game is 40$, yeah? They're out to make money, they wouldn't have cut the price by 20$ if they thought people would be fine with it. Props to Insomniac for pricing their game appropriately.

Nexus was that price as well, but IMO it was too short for 40 I'm sure for others its fine. That being said they said the price was not indicitave of length. Also sly 4 was 40 and was one of the longer ones in the series.

Naudi

Banned
I doubt there is any reason to be concerned over play times. Anyone who enjoys these games will easily get 10-20+ hours out of it just like previous games. Half the fun of these games is re playing them for collectables/upgrades/trophies. Plus challenge mode. Plenty of content for the 32-40$ asking price.

Ashtar

pinterest-social-promotion-17407-1457977400-23.png

This thread took a damn turn, from ole boy with an ancient grudge against insomniac and the whole 5 hrs thing.... jeez
I'm excited for this game, can't wait for tuesday, unfortunately the division gets incursions so I'll have to divide my time accordingly plus try to finish QB
edit: whoops i thought this was the OT

I'm excited for this, Insomniac usually make fun games (I'm one of the few people that thought Resistance 3 was great) plus it's mid-price and looks stunning. What's not to like?

Apart from the weird staggered release dates. Why does the US get it three days before France, France get it five days before the rest of Europe, and the rest of Europe two days before the UK??

I'm excited for this, Insomniac usually make fun games (I'm one of the few people that thought Resistance 3 was great) plus it's mid-price and looks stunning. What's not to like?

Apart from the weird staggered release dates. Why does the US get it three days before France, France get it five days before the rest of Europe, and the rest of Europe two days before the UK??
I believe it was said that it was a matter of logistics.

sn00zer

I think a lot of ppl will agree just not a lot of ppl played it. Closest game well get to Half Life 3.

Ratchet and Clank games are easy to speedrun through if you've played them before.

This.

If you're speed running through a game, not taking in the world, the story, and the optional quests it has to offer, you shouldn't be commenting on the game's length. Sure, you could speed through it, skip enemies, entire sections and even some worlds I'd imagine and come in at 5 or 6 hours. But that's not the entirety of the game, and you'd be missing out on everything it has to offer.

No you are not. It was a great game. Most people just didn't play like the other guy said.

Played it in 10 hours on normal difficulty. Beat it. Loved it. Review coming tomorrow.

Good to hear. I've never played a R&C game before so I should be closer to this. It usually takes me longer to complete games thsn most any way as I like to scavage.

You can tell a thread went up way too early when almost the entire thread is dedicated to talking about the misinterpreted impressions of one person.

Top Bottom