• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Questions And Answers About The Final Fantasy VII Remake

Atlantis

4O2jllC.gif

sqBD4BH.gif

I'm curious to see how Aerith translates into this new combat system.

She's going to be a "guest character" that doesn't fight, isn't she?

Yeah if there's one thing Nomura is good at its all flash and no substance so I can't wait for more action games from him. There's too many big budget turn based JRPGs today, while we dearly lack action RPGs. Keep on changing everything Square Enix you've never messed up a franchise before good job guys

Heh.

You're absolutely right in that it's an inflammatory mindset, but to say it's not out there is false. The "turn-based is outdated" mindset exists more among non-fans, but it has no basis in reality beyond the genre frontrunner being more reluctant to make them "just because".

And I say this in all these threads but "a need for update" is not the same as "a need for change". Shifting genres is not a necessary change, it's a divisive one. There's still loads you can do within the confines of semi-traditional ATB, and to say people don't have the right to be upset over Square abandoning it is similarly dumb.

Spot on.

Thank you for this.

Damn it!! Sad but true.

"Of course, within Square Enix and across the globe, there are people who think (FFVII) is on this holy scale. That there isn’t anything we can touch or play around with. But we believe we know the balance between what can be changed versus what needs to be protected."

This leads me to believe they won't be changing Aerith's fate. They're gonna mess with stuff, sure. But everyone knows this is an important part of FFVII. They won't change it to surprise people.

ethomaz

Banned
The fighting system was the worst thing about the game. Outside of bosses it basically boils down to leaving X pressed to spam attack all the time. The materia system was nice, but the actual fighting was terribly boring.

Plus outside of Limits all characters were pretty much the same, unlike IX or X when each character had meaningful strengths and weaknesses.

If they can make fighting regular mobs fun and make the characters more distinctive, it would certainly be a welcome improvement in my book.

What??? See my above post.
I disagree.

Only in the end game the chars were equal due the combination materials (all magics, all summons, all moves).

The battle for 90% of the game was unique for each char because they didn't have the same magic, summon and moves.

Strategy was a key point of the game.

Yeah if there's one thing Nomura is good at its all flash and no substance so I can't wait for more action games from him. There's too many big budget turn based JRPGs today, while we dearly lack action RPGs. Keep on changing everything Square Enix you've never messed up a franchise before good job guys
Love the sarcasm ;)

The actual situation of JRPGs is really sad... I hope Persona 5 and World of Final Fantasy can give a new life for this genre soon.

IMO, the problem with making Final Fantasy action, "character action" esque is that for me that automatically makes me compare it's gameplay to Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden and so forth.

Those are pretty amazing combat systems to be up against in my brain as I think of them as the pinnacle of satisfying combat in a non-fighting game. Not saying this is the case for everyone, in fact I assume it's just me, but I hope they work long and hard to make a satisfying combat system for this and maybe even XV. There is that something missing at the moment.

ethomaz

Banned
IMO, the problem with making Final Fantasy action, "character action" esque is that for me that automatically makes me compare it's gameplay to Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden and so forth.

Those are pretty amazing combat systems to be up against in my brain as I think of them as the pinnacle of satisfying combat in a non-fighting game. Not saying this is the case for everyone, in fact I assume it's just me, but I hope they work long and hard to make a satisfying combat system for this and maybe even XV. There is that something missing at the moment.
FFXV won't change... it sad but they showed the final combat system that breaks all immersion of a JRPG :(

FFVII I will wait before say something because what they showed is really preliminar.

I mean, Aerith has a staff and can use offensive magic, right? I don't see how it's a problem; she just parries with the staff and uses magic offensive/defensively/as buffs.

brad-t

I disagree.

Only in the end game the chars were equal due the combination materials (all magics, all summons, all moves).

The battle for 90% of the game was unique for each char because they didn't have the same magic, summon and moves.

Strategy was a key point of the game.

Sincerely have to disagree. I had to drop the game because outside of a handful of boss fights, I felt like the battle system was just a colossal timesink of either pressing attack or selecting whatever spell had an elemental advantage. It wasn't fun.

Not to say that realtime combat is the only way of addressing those deficiencies, but the original system was certainly not great.

Breakage

I noticed that they can't share the number of instalments. I reckon that means more than 3 and they don't want to put ppl off. This is going to be an expensive remake for consumers.
I expect it to run into next gen too. Sounds like a mess in the making tbh.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Each part is going to be $60 isn't it?

Xenosaga individual volumes were full price. Also the Dot Hack volumes. They aren't cutting up a single game, this is going to be an overall story arc split into 3 games. Thinking in terms of that is not how they are approaching this project. The only thing that is shared is the story. They are def going to add things to make every game feel like its own complete story arc

I noticed that they can't share the number of instalments. I reckon that means more than 3 and they don't want to put ppl off. This is going to be an expensive remake for consumers.
I expect it to run into next gen too. Sounds like a mess in the making tbh.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I fully believe that the mid to endgame of the XV battle system will show you strategic gameplay possibilities that would not be possible with a direct action game like Bayonetta.

If they showed you the early section of any given RPG, you wouldn't assume you understand the scope of the battle system, so I don't know why people do it with XV.

paolo11

Xenosaga individual volumes were full price. Also the Dot Hack volumes. They aren't cutting up a single game, this is going to be an overall story arc split into 3 games. Thinking in terms of that is not how they are approaching this project. The only thing that is shared is the story. They are def going to add things to make every game feel like its own complete story arc

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

It's interesting to see how SE will make each part to a complete story arc. I really wanted to hear more news about this.

I'm going to assume it will be 3 games but the question is how long will each game release? Every year? Or two? I do hope E3 will shed more light into this.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd feel a lot calmer if they'd just confirm "while we are splitting it up, the end product will act as one single experience, your stats, weapons and all that carry over to each part so you pickup right where you left off".

So scared it will be like 4 different games.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape.

No, it is best represented by FFRK, months of hype then feelings of disappointment once all is said and done.

I'd feel a lot calmer if they'd just confirm "while we are splitting it up, the end product will act as one single experience, your stats, weapons and all that carry over to each part so you pickup right where you left off".

So scared it will be like 4 different games.

That seems to be what it is.

Fisty

Its kinda annoying that they want to go in an action direction but wont look at Souls combat as something to go off of. Doesnt need to be hard, just give me something more to do than hold a button and watch some animations until the enemies are dead.

Inuhanyou

Its kinda annoying that they want to go in an action direction but wont look at Souls combat as something to go off of. Doesnt need to be hard, just give me something more to do than hold a button and watch some animations until the enemies are dead.

Souls doesn't fit every type of action RPG genre out there. And its not full action they are going to, it will have a RPG cool down warm up time to consider as well

Pretty intrigued by the comment about Nomura looking to Dissidia to try and get the basis for how he wants the combat to feel. Otherwise, this is all stuff we pretty much knew already. Probably not going to get a whole lot of substantial information before WoFF and KH2.8 come out.

Slathe

I bet (speculation re: Aeries for those who don't like speculation)

they do something like have Aeries get revived and then have her die at the end or towards the end of the game, irrevocably. Give a little bit of false hope to all the people who want her revived, and get a cheap shock while maintaining the overall lore from advent children and the other games.

Please don't fuck the battle system... I'm begging you SE.

One of the strongs points of FFVII is the battle system.

The battle system is just vanilla ATB 1.1 (same as in 6 and 8, where regular attacks and smaller spells don't stop the timer but longer animations do), plus limit breaks. Do you mean the ability system (materia)?

Fisty

Souls doesn't fit every type of action RPG genre out there. And its not full action they are going to, it will have a RPG cool down warm up time to consider as well

Yeah I didnt want to sound like "every game needs Souls combat" people, probably came off that way. It just seems like a good fit, I saw Demons Souls as a turning point for JRPG combat, but I guess JRPG devs didnt. Theyre pushing action though, and Souls has that, with tactics and numbers. FF games like the 13 series and XV demo seem to be more action in that more stuff happens but you dont really do much in combat... kinda like the Assassins Creed of JRPGs

AgeEighty

Thinking about the size/scope of Midgar, it's massive. Seven sectors + two levels, ton of side characters/side story possibility, etc. If they wanted they could easily make an entire game there... and I'd be fine with that. I've wanted to explore Midgar fully since '96 when I first played the demo.

The danger I see in that is that it could bring the pace of the storytelling to a crawl. It sounds great on paper to bulk up the game with a bunch of sidequests, but one of the things that was great about FFVII is that the main story moved at a tight, brisk pace and it didn't feel padded out unnecessarily.

Opening up the entire city of Midgar sounds great in theory, but if there's nothing going on there that's really important to the main story, I don't see a point aside from making the game longer.

Can't wait, I'm still so damned happy this finally exists, I want this game so much.

The stuff in the PSX trailer looked so good, like those gifs.

Yeah, this is how I see it too, like Xenosaga, Dot Hack, etc.

Yeah I didnt want to sound like "every game needs Souls combat" people, probably came off that way. It just seems like a good fit, I saw Demons Souls as a turning point for JRPG combat, but I guess JRPG devs didnt. Theyre pushing action though, and Souls has that, with tactics and numbers. FF games like the 13 series and XV demo seem to be more action in that more stuff happens but you dont really do much in combat... kinda like the Assassins Creed of JRPGs

I don't really see how you could integrate the limit breaks, summons, and character switching by making it more similar to a Souls title. It's really not a combat system that was developed with this kind of game in mind.

Sagittal

Banned
I wonder how much the public's feedback of XV's combat will reflect upon 7 Remake down the road? Square Enix can't afford anymore divisive titles and XV has me worried from a gameplay perspective so far. It has been soo long since a quality FF, it would be nice if they just made a turn based game not in 13's universe and drowned Uematsu in money.

I'm not sure how Souls is a turning point for JRPG combat. It expands far more on WRPG systems than JRPG ones. I'd put something like Valkryia Chronicles as a turning point over Souls, and even that's only in one subgenre.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 has a fight on horseback while fighting a giant robot thingie. Final Fantasy VII has an underwater fight and a fight with a flying dragon on an airship deck. Final Fantasy VI has a fight against a giant octopus on a speeding raft, a duel while falling mid-air and four people running in front of a chasing train while fighting it at the same time.

I don't think the Souls combat is a good fit for what the majority of the series are trying to accomplish. They're more about grand set pieces and flashy moves.

If it has a combat system along the lines of Kingdom Hearts, then I'm all ears. If it's more like what can be found in Dissidia, however...

Dame

If VIIR-1 comes off as a cheap, underbaked, etc., it's going to hit the sales of the follow-ups hard.

The multi-part announcement convinced me that SE is giving this remake their all. Not that that means the game will be comfortably spread over three installments.

You make a good point.They could mean well, but their execution... Thanks for being logical about it though. We need that type of outlook.

It's hard to see them do anything but make questionable choices when they were surprised as hell a turn-based game like bravely default did well. I'd pay in gold to see to whom their analysts are listening.

There's not many turn-based big budget RPGs these days because it's become niche and unwanted now that we have the technology to battle RPG characters in real-time, and now that real-time action is arguably considered more exciting and interactive by mainstream audiences.

This is so painfully untrue and unbacked by any form of data. Why remake the game to appeal to people who basically don't care for turn-based when you've had people buying ff7 for years now still? They did it out of a fear that it wasn't flashy enough for a shorter attention span, is what it read like in the early articles introducing this. I respect that some folks don't care for the original. I then ask why things are being changed for them when Square themselves arbitrarily decided that turn-based just wasn't hip, despite sales data. " I hate rts games, but they added a hack n' slash mechanic, so now it has my interest" feels like an apt analogy. Then again all of this just may be my extreme bias to a game that didn't need a change in mechanics, but just balancing.

I love Souls to death but I wouldn't want Square to go in that direction. Their combat is very very good but I just don't think it would be a good fit for their games especially since their games are about bombastic anime-style action. I also wouldn't say Demon's Souls was that much of a turning point for JRPGs since it feels more like a Western RPG to be honest

I also wouldn't put the XIII games in the same discussion. Those were turn-based games. (Unless Lightning Returns went action, haven't touched that one) FFXV I can agree is taking a VERY simplistic approach with it's "hold button to attack" stuff but I still believe it has some interesting depth to it. Can't really judge FFVIIR's combat yet but with Nomura at the helm I assume it will not be nearly as simplified as XV. I'm the most interested in KH3
(avatar quote)
and how it's combat feels as that's been my favorite style of combat. If KH2.8 comes out this year we'll be able to check that out since it basically has a KH3 prologue as one of the offerings.

Basically I'd prefer some variety in Action (J)RPGs. While the Souls approach could potentially make games have more satisfying combat I feel it would make things a little bland.

Inuhanyou

You make a good point.They could mean well, but their execution... Thanks for being logical about it though. We need that type of outlook.

It's hard to see them do anything but make questionable choices when they were surprised as hell a turn-based game like bravely default did well. I'd pay in gold to see to whom their analysts are listening.

I don't think that's really fair...to pin on Nomura, Nojima and the FF7R team the fact that the money guys of SE were surprised about Bravely's success in the west. They are making the game they want to make here and Nomura himself as a director has never been especially resonant to turn based games. That's the real deciding factor and even why FFVersus was going to have action combat 10 years ago

valeo

Anyone that defends FF7's combat system has to re-adjust their nostalgia goggles; seriously.

Anyway, I think they're on a hiding to nothing with this re-make. No matter what they do, at least half of the fan base will complain (despite wanting this remake for what seems like decades now)

Anyone that defends FF7's combat system has to re-adjust their nostalgia goggles; seriously.

Anyway, I think they're on a hiding to nothing with this re-make. No matter what they do, at least half of the fan base will complain (despite wanting this remake for what seems like decades now)

I feel like a lot of people who wanted the remake didn't really think about what would happen IF it was announced. The game is GOING to have changes to the plot, redesigns, and of course references and additions thanks to the FFVII Compilation stuff. People who expected it to be the same or are angered that they're changing it are silly, it was going to happen. As for the combat? I prefer Action RPGs but I also like Turn Based and it IS disappointing to see them not going for an evolution of FFVII's combat system but I respect their decision regardless.

Dame

Huge fan of Nomura, minus the so-bad-it's-good story that is KH.I'm calling out the money guys and the company, cus it seems like they make a lot of major decisions that don't line up with reality. There's strong evidence pointing to the shift being a company-wide decision after the ps2 era.

It's kinda strange. The change in system is one thing, but it's other elements as well that are making us wary. That and square's track record. It's difficult to not tread without worry. This is the same company whose former CEO consulted a psychic for business decisions. We expect changes, of course, but essentially changing the identity of a game people still play and praise to this day (nostalgia goggles arguments be damned) to chase some perceived blue ocean doesn't scream artistic integrity very much.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel like a lot of people who wanted the remake didn't really think about what would happen IF it was announced. The game is GOING to have changes to the plot, redesigns, and of course references and additions thanks to the FFVII Compilation stuff. People who expected it to be the same or are angered that they're changing it are silly, it was going to happen. As for the combat? I prefer Action RPGs but I also like Turn Based and it IS disappointing to see them not going for an evolution of FFVII's combat system but I respect their decision regardless.
I know there are people out there who would be equally dissatisfied with a "fresh coat of paint" straight remake as much as they would be dissatisfied with a "total overhaul" remake.

A lot of the desire for the remake comes from a poorly thought through wish to just "make the game new again". They're really asking for the feeling of being 12 in 1997 again.

The battle system is great even if it's hardly unique (I mean, it's the same one as five other games in the series). And I know more than a few people that started the game recently and still think the combat is great.

Either way, asking for an upgrade rather than a genre shift really shouldn't be an unreasonable request.

I know there are people out there who would be equally dissatisfied with a "fresh coat of paint" straight remake as much as they would be dissatisfied with a "total overhaul" remake.

A lot of the desire for the remake comes from a poorly thought through wish to just "make the game new again". They're really asking for the feeling of being 12 in 1997 again.

Yeah, there's really no winning in this type of situation. People are going to be pissed no matter what they do with it.

Top Bottom