• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does GAF feel about snapchat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThankeeSai

Just seems totally pointless to me, but I guess I'm certainly not the market it's aimed at. I'm... ahem.... Old. (39).

Bronx-Man

Banned
I love it, use it on a regular basis with my friends. But I am one of the very few gaffers that will live to see 2076 so I could be biased.

Minamu

I'm 30 and mostly use it as a text chat with friends and my gf. But I do lament the trend of fleeting pictures, there're so many snap moments I'll never be able to share with my future kids etc. When I was a child we had regular physical photo albums and that's just practically non-existent these days. Snapchat ain't helping there.

Zombine

Banned
I use it all the damn time. I'm 26 and all of my friends fall around their mid 20s and we think it's hilarious.

I'm 30 and mostly use it as a text chat with friends and my gf. But I do lament the trend of fleeting pictures, there're so many snap moments I'll never be able to share with my future kids etc. When I was a child we had regular physical photo albums and that's just practically non-existent these days. Snapchat ain't helping there.

Snapchat allows you to save any images you post on your stories though. You can also just screenshot other people's snaps if you really wanna keep it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I miss being able to see other people's best friends so I had an idea of who might be fucking on the low.

I use it pretty frequently. I HATE group messages via text though, go figure

Unicorn

I just hate the deleting part. Sometimes it loads and my screen idles off and I turn it on and thinks I viewed the picture. Then to replay it it says I need money.
Also I'm sure the android version is leagues behind the apple version in content and filters.

Dany

Banned
It's so handy. Just send a neat picture or video to your friends w/o consequence. Or post it to your story if anyone wants to see whatever you're up to. It's the least social social Media.

Arkeband

Banned
It's something teenagers use.

On one hand it's smart because the photos are intended to be temporary so you're not cataloging your entire life over the Internet, on the other hand it's not guaranteed to be temporary between people taking screenshots or hackings.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't get it. I don't have any friends so I don't really understand the appeal of things like this. My sister seems to love it.

dity

I think it can be quite fun but I deleted the app after I realised I hadn't used it for a while because I keep in touch with people via other means and it basically iust became recaps of studf happening during that conversation lol.

hqdefault.jpg

Myriadis

I don't think that any of my friends actually use it, at least I haven't seen anyone of them using it.
Honestly, I don't really see the appeal behind this, what are the advantages with snapchat over other chat programs like Whatsapp or Facebook messenger?

I love it.

I get to share dumb moments that I normally wouldn't deem to be social media worthy.
And the sillier stuff goes on there and it goes away after 24 hours.

v1lla21

I don't snap people back I just look at stories. It's a fun app to use when you want to snap something funny or random but don't want to post on instagram or fb/twitter

ShowDog

Seems pointless for me but I'm old and married. I can see the appeal for a digital conversation to be in the moment and undocumented for later use, like, ya know, a real conversation between two people in the flesh. Especially if it's someone you don't know especially well that you want to be candid with, which young people tend to be as they grow to understand themselves and each other. So I think I get it.

I prefer text messaging myself but half of my friends are crazy about the app, so I would be missing out on conversations, jokes and happenings with them if I stopped using SnapChat. It's not bad, though it's definitely pretty frivolous.

theecakee

It's good on some occasions but I don't like holding conversations in it. I'd rather just text. Stories are cool though.

I'm 21, a lot of people I know use it. They'll send me stuff, and I'm just like....I don't know how to respond to this but I don't want to be rude lol.

I spoke to a parent of a 12 year old the other day and he said he had checked his sons phone and it was full of naked pictures girls (also 11/12) had sent him.

Snapchat is cool but it's a bit eerie how easy it is for that to happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom