• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn: “I think Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman are about to save the whole Marvel universe”

bitbydeath

I think it’s going to be a great movie regardless, but that is a tall order given the current state.

“The few snippets that I know about ‘Deadpool vs. Wolverine’ – or ‘Wolverine vs. Deadpool,’ I’m sure that argument between Ryan and Hugh is happening as we speak – are unbelievable.

That’s going to be the jolt… the Marvel universe is about to have a jolt of them, and it’s going to bring that body back to life… I think Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman are about to save the whole Marvel universe.”

John Bilbo

Im Alive Good Morning GIF

Blade2.0

Wolverine vs Deadpool: A Deadpool 3 Adventure where Deadpool fights Wolverine.

Now pay me my millions Hollywood.

bitbydeath

I think it’s a given that whatever they do will usher in X-Men, likely Fantastic Four as well. They’re adding to the universe, but will their antics take away some of the crap as well?

She-Hulk isn’t getting another show, neither is Ms Marvel, and Kang is likely gone too.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I enjoyed the OG Deadpool for being different.

I found Deadpool 2 to be a slog and unnecessary and kind of a one trick pony to be honest. I'm sure Deadpool 3 will have some funny moments but if they really want me to care they'd have to really do something interesting with these characters and due to the nature of Deadpools character overall I just don't see anything of value happening outside of memberberries.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but we'll see
(Deadpool 2 was pretty disappointing to me at the time)

Soodanim

I will want to see this, as I enjoyed the first two enough and liked what RR has done with Deadpool, but it being a proper MCU Deadpool means I need to temper my expectations. Lots of what was once good is now not.

Deadpool, especially this one with Wolverine, represents as desperately needed link to X-Men. It's a chance to start bringing out some recognisable names. Not that I hold put much hope.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
At this point, I am sick of superhero films.

I find it hard to imagine that mainstream enthusiasm for them can continue forever, tbh. Surely we must be almost there now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
At this point, I am sick of superhero films.

I find it hard to imagine that mainstream enthusiasm for them can continue forever, tbh. Surely we must be almost there now.
I have the same sentiment as you.
It’s not only all the films it’s the tv shows. No scratch that. It’s the trying to create links between them. Meaning you have to watch them all otherwise you are going to miss all the Easter eggs call backs etc.

Also it’s the fact that nearly all the modern super hero films have the same formula and tone to each one. Like pop/club music

While you might get a few certifiable bangers (sandstorm,gotg) you mostly get well mass produced stuff.

Just a super safe film Or an edgy film designed not to offend but is watchable by a large age range.

But wolverine vs dead pool could interest me if it’s done correctly

Last edited:
lol no. Even if the film is good, the franchise is ruined beyond repair, because people are tired of their crap. They keep catering to a small vocal minority that don't watch their shows, while having insane bloated budgets on all their productions. How many more box office bombs does it take for them to realize what they are doing is not working??
They are no longer a for profit business about entertainment, but one that prioritizes ideology above all else.

SJRB

Gold Member
"This movie I'm making that's about to come out will definitely be incredible," says movie director.

Edit: wait, he isn't the director? What all the hubbub about Vaught and Marvel I'm seeing online the last couple of days then?

Last edited:

The Skull

I think it'll do very well but that's because of the lure of Jackman being back. I don't think the MCU can be saved. You'll just have the odd occasional character(s) that draw people in still like Guardians 3 did and this will.

Pejo

How are they going to bring Jackman back anyways? Just ignore Logan or it happens before that, or what? I'd hate to see them retcon Logan since I thought it was a fantastic movie and a good end for that character.

Also, I don't think Deadpool has enough pull at this point in the game to save capeshit. Especially with how neutered the script is going to be after Disney gives it the checkbox treatment.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How are they going to bring Jackman back anyways? Just ignore Logan or it happens before that, or what? I'd hate to see them retcon Logan since I thought it was a fantastic movie and a good end for that character.

Also, I don't think Deadpool has enough pull at this point in the game to save capeshit. Especially with how neutered the script is going to be after Disney gives it the checkbox treatment.

It's rated R... They gave Ryan free reign...

And it's not the Wolverine from Logan.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It’s not only all the films it’s the tv shows. No scratch that. It’s the trying to create links between them. Meaning you have to watch them all otherwise you are going to miss all the Easter eggs call backs etc.

Also it’s the fact that nearly all the modern super hero films have the same formula and tone to each one. Like pop/club music

While you might get a few certifiable bangers (sandstorm,gotg) you mostly get well mass produced stuff.

Just a super safe film Or an edgy film designed not to offend but is watchable by a large age range.

Agree with all of that.

Picking up on the connections between films and tv shows, and I've definitely posted this before, but I would much prefer self contained stories to films full of signposts to sequels, or references to other stories told by related characters.

CGNoire

I know "sandstorm" whats "gotg"?

mcjmetroid

Nobody cares anymore guys....comic book movies are done for a while. They had a good run...over 20 years! Just like western did just like space movies did. It'll come back but not now.

Fbh

Eh, if it's like the last 2 I expect that I'll watch and enjoy it .....and then I'll go back to ignore all the other MCU crap

CGNoire

Guardians of the galaxy was a breakout hit but became a template for all other marvel films. Same with Taika waititi. Love and thunder was just too much.

I loved that older marvel movies had separate styles and voices but now it’s just cookie cutter.
Oh then what is "sandstorm" i thought you meant club hits??

NickFire

I'm expecting it to be great and make a ton of money. Whether it turns the global franchise around will depend entirely on Disney though. Will they stay focused on characters that resonate with average guys who liked comics but did not devote themselves to comics growing up? Or will they continue focusing on obscure characters intended to draw in the Barbie audience? Could honestly go either way and would lean towards the latter. But Deadpool 3 will show them that franchise fatigue is nothing more than a low hanging fruit of an excuse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm expecting it to be great and make a ton of money. Whether it turns the global franchise around will depend entirely on Disney though. Will they stay focused on characters that resonate with average guys who liked comics but did not devote themselves to comics growing up? Or will they continue focusing on obscure characters intended to draw in the Barbie audience? Could honestly go either way and would lean towards the latter. But Deadpool 3 will show them that franchise fatigue is nothing more than a low hanging fruit of an excuse.

I think you and I are in agreement. BTS, they're retooling and reshooting a lot of things like Captain America 4, Daredevil, etc. Now that Feige is back to full power, we'll see better movies/shows.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Guardians of the galaxy was a breakout hit but became a template for all other marvel films. Same with Taika waititi. Love and thunder was just too much.

I loved that older marvel movies had separate styles and voices but now it’s just cookie cutter.
I think folks forget the quality of those early MCU directors. Ang Lee. Joe Johnston, Kenneth Branagh, Joss Wedon, Favreau. These guys KNOW THEIR SHIT and have a unique voice. But Marvel these days is hiring a lot of "who?" directors (with some standouts like Raimi for sure) that just get smushed by the production mill of trying to tie together long before designed set-pieces.

Mossybrew

I no longer give a crap about their "cinematic universe" all I want is a new Deadpool movie that will entertain and delight me for two hours and I think there's a pretty good chance it will deliver.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I think it’s going to be a great movie regardless, but that is a tall order given the current state.

I do not think that there is anything left to save, but I am happy to be surprised.

YCoCg

The only way it's saving the MCU is if Deadpool rips the multiverse apart and returns everyone to just after Endgame and this time just drag the X-Men and Fantastic Four in asap.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The only way it's saving the MCU is if Deadpool rips the multiverse apart and returns everyone to just after Endgame and this time just drag the X-Men and Fantastic Four in asap.
Yeah multiverse is boring / lame.

Honestly just pretty over Marvel. Not that DC is much better but I’m more interested in the sequel to The Batman and the Penguin MAX show than anything Marvel related outside of maybe Spiderverse 3.

DCU I don’t have much hope for though.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
From the rumors I've read, the multiverse is WHY this Deadpool is saving the MCU... Supposedly it's a GREAT story and they're changing things in the overall arc of the multiverse story. Meaning things will finally gel together and no more single stories where no one meets!

Billbofet

I am curious to see this as I enjoyed the other Deadpool movies, but beyond this, I don't give a shit.
More interested in what's on deck for DC, but only slightly more. In general, I'm over capeshit like most others have said here.

Top Bottom