• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety interviews Ryan Reynolds, thinks Logan is Oscar worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two links.

Some quotes from the full thing:
“‘Logan’ looks like a movie that might break that glass ceiling,” Reynolds tells Variety. “I know first-hand that it’s amazing. I’ve seen some of it. It’s mind-blowing. It relies a lot on character.”

Of course, there’s also the small chance that the Academy makes history this month, by giving “Deadpool” a surprise best picture nomination. Before you scoff, keep in mind that it’s not the most competitive year, and the spring release has earned $783 million worldwide. If there’s one thing Hollywood loves, it’s an underdog story, which might explain why 20th Century Fox has been running an unexpected Oscar campaign for the red spandex-wearing anti-hero.

Hugh Jackman, who worked with Reynolds in 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” is among those backing “Deadpool” for awards consideration. “When I hosted the Oscars, ‘Batman’ didn’t get nominated, and everyone was talking about it,” Jackman tells Variety. “It’s a stretch to say these are injustices in life — we are happy and making movies. But I love it when someone like Ryan gets recognized.” He adds, “These big-budget or comic book movies are not easy to pull off.”

Ryan Reynolds spent 11 years thinking about what it would feel like to walk in Deadpool’s shoes. So when he finally got to don the red Spandex suit, he’d already worked out the character: His underdog Marvel superhero wouldn’t have Superman’s steely strut but instead would walk with a bounce. “Deadpool is so feminine,” the actor says over soup at a hotel in Bel-Air. “At least in how I saw him.”

The trouble was that the stunt doubles had a hard time dropping the macho swagger. “I’d say, ‘When you land, can you sashay away?’” Reynolds laughs.

This week, Reynolds’ special gait will be on full display on the red carpet of the Golden Globes. “Deadpool” is the first live-action comic-book movie to score a best-picture nomination in the organization’s 74-year-history, competing in the musical/comedy category. And Reynolds is in the running as a best actor nominee, following a prize at the Critics’ Choice Awards last month. “Not to sound too esoteric,” Reynolds says, “but I really got this guy.”

Hollywood has been nervous about introducing same-sex couplings in superhero movies, out of fear that gargantuan tentpoles could alienate audiences in countries less tolerant of gay rights. “That’s not really a problem for us, because we were banned in China,” 
Reynolds notes. “We were rated ‘F–k you!’ in China.” But judging by the illegal downloads, “Deadpool” was just as popular there as
anywhere else. “We might have been the first billion-dollar R-rated movie,” Reynolds muses.

In that spirit, Reynolds has big plans 
for Deadpool’s next act, which will shoot 
in 2017 for a 2018 release. (The first 
movie’s director, Tim Miller, left the sequel 
over creative differences and will be replaced by David Leitch.) “The budget 
is not going to be phenomenally bigger,” Reynolds says, but then takes it back. “Who knows? Maybe the budget will be 
bigger — anything can happen.”

He’s not worried about being typecast as a comic-book hero. “I would love to play Deadpool for as long as they would let me play Deadpool,” he says. “We have outlines and stories for a number of different films.” He envisions a standalone movie with Deadpool and Wolverine — although that’s news to Jackman.

“I’m hesitating,” says Jackman, who plans on retiring the Wolverine character this year, “because I could totally see how that’s the perfect fit. But the timing may 
be wrong.”

Reynolds isn’t giving up. “I have no 
idea if I can change his mind,” he says. 
“It’s the audience: I would exclusively exploit that relationship to get Hugh back for another one.”

“When the leaked footage got around the internet, it created this enormous groundswell,” Reynolds says. “I credit Twitter users, Facebook users, and Instagram users for getting this movie made.” He won’t say who leaked the footage, but it was presumably an inside job to nudge Fox executives. “I have an entertainment lawyer. 
I’ll leave it at that,” he says

Some fun and interesting stuff in the big one.

Glass Rebel

Deadpool for best picture in a year with Moonlight, Arrival, Hell or High Water etc. I could go on and on
sabu.png

obin_gam

Watch it having a great somber first and second act, and then a fight against a giant monster in the third.

-_-

dh4niel

I get the feeling the sequel will turn out disappointing. They had a decade to work on the first one and that turned out good but not great.

If they embrace more of the absurdity of the character I can see it working. They have a ton of possibilities there.

There should be a Deadpool cameo in Justice League where he walks into the middle of an action scene, looks around, says "Wrong universe" and then walks out.

Tugatrix

If there’s one thing Hollywood loves, it’s an underdog story, which might explain why 20th Century Fox has been running an unexpected Oscar campaign for the red spandex-wearing anti-hero.

I would surely love to see that one happening, I would laugh

LOGAN looks better than everything the MCU has ever produced on the assembly line, if the trailer is any indication of the film's quality.

duckroll

What glass ceiling? The one that gave Lord of the Rings Return of the King Best Picture? That's about as comic book as they come.

I'll rephrase, sorry. Didn't mean to say you were clickbaiting.

They are talking about Deadpool and how it's getting Golden Globe nominations, and how they're campaigning for Oscar nomination. How Batman never got Oscar nomination. Then he's hoping that if his movie doesn't get it, he is hoping his friend Jackman's movie does. Seems like he is just being polite, no? It doesn't read like "Logan is Oscar Worthy" to me. It's him hoping it's Oscar Worthy.

I thought he was going to say "I saw Logan. It's amazing! Truly Oscar Worthy!"

Thanks for the link though!! I read both of them, maybe not as accurately as I was hoping to read it... :)

Beaulieu

Guys

When they say "best picture" for deadpool, they mean in the comedy category
Just like the golden globes

edit : anyways I hope so. If it's nominated in another category, the academy really lost is head.

dosh

LOGAN looks better than everything the MCU has ever produced on the assembly line, if the trailer is any indication of the film's quality.

Unfortunately, it isn't. Not that it's a bad movie, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's nowhere near as funny or crazy as the promo, clips and trailers could lead you to believe.

I wish the movie was as good as that campaign though, because that really was something else.

breakfuss

Unfortunately, it isn't. Not that it's a bad movie, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's nowhere near as funny or crazy as the promo, clips and trailers could lead you to believe.

I wish the movie was as good as that campaign though, because that really was something else.

You've seen Logan already?!

duckroll

Guys

When they say "best picture" for deadpool, they mean in the comedy category
Just like the golden globes

edit : anyways I hope so. If it's nominated in another category, the academy really lost is head.

What are you talking about? The Academy Awards doesn't divide anything by genre. Only the Golden Globes and the Emmys do. :p

The Logan trailer was funny? You were writing about Deadpool, weren't you...

I love Ryan Reynolds. Good on him for all his success, he's a dope dude and deserves it. And Deadpool was a fun character

Lmao at him or the movie meriting any nominations tho.

I don't see Logan getting it either because next year is sounding real good for film as well. But that movie really does look like it just might finally be the superhero movie to follow up the dark knight. The promise of a neo western feel, smaller scale and that trailer really got my expectations high on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom