• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman Having Second Thoughts About Wolverine Retirement Following Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

Shouldn't have fucked it up the first time with X-Men Origins and then blew the second chance to have them cross over properly in Deadpool's origin and instead give that Weapon X scene to Apocalypse where it didn't even fit, nor even have the R rating to be done properly.

I wouldn't even say they should do it for a(nother) soft reboot because Fox just can't seem to get their shit together continuity wise or even have a cohesive vision. They might as well embrace their clusterfuck continuity and just do standalone films or connected films wherever it makes sense, as if the X-Men franchise just exists in some multiverse shit. That way the timing doesn't matter. If Jackman doesn't want to do X films beyond a Deadpool crossover, it doesn't matter, just hire a new actor.

Shouldn't have fucked it up the first time with X-Men Origins and then blew the second chance to have them cross over properly in Deadpool's origin and instead give that Weapon X scene to Apocalypse where it didn't even fit, nor even have the R rating to be done properly.

I wouldn't even say they should do it for a(nother) soft reboot because Fox just can't seem to get their shit together continuity wise or even have a cohesive vision. They might as well embrace their clusterfuck continuity and just do standalone films or connected films wherever it makes sense, as if the X-Men franchise just exists in some multiverse shit. That way the timing doesn't matter. If Jackman doesn't want to do X films beyond a Deadpool crossover, it doesn't matter, just hire a new actor.

The continuity doesn't even really matter at this point. They should wait about five years, like they did between The Last Stand and First Class, recoup, and then just make a movie set in modern day with the same cast that was in Apocalypse. No one would bat an eye.

There's plenty of opportunity for Wolvie, Deadpool, X-Force, etc in the meantime. And they can mostly ignore continuity too, or if you're Deadpool, make a joke about it.

NYR

Hugh Jackman retiring as Wolverine without never once putting on the iconic Wolverine costume after 17 years in the role would be a crime against humanity.
He was supposed to get it in wolverine and they cut it. :(

wolverine-costume.jpeg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MU6z9h5Zyo0

Here is the official statement from the Director why it never happened:

Finding the rationale for a uniform when the character disdains self promotion, why he would put on some outfit that promotes himself as some kind of hero? It’s like Dirty Harry didn’t walk around with special outfit," Mangold said. "There’s a difficult line to walk. He’s not a showoff, he’s the last one to put on a team jersey. The flesh and blood character is very loyal to that iconoclastic rebel who doesn’t seem to be the first to don spandex. It isn’t something I’ve talked about much. Some fans may be frustrated, but we’re trying to be true to his character. Who knows whether that will change, I cannot verify and will not deny.”

Yeah, I think I agree with Jim on this. It's an iconic outfit, but it really doesn't make sense for the character at all. Why would he wear a costume?

Yeah, I think I agree with Jim on this. It's an iconic outfit, but it really doesn't make sense for the character at all. Why would he wear a costume?

I think the idea is so audiences could say "I recognize that." As many jokes as the black leather gets, Logan hated wearing that too. Not to say the black leather is a good costume.

But if it happens in Deadpool 2, I hope they're willing to clown on the people who've been complaining about Jackman's height and costume for 17 years. He wears it about 30 seconds before it's burned/torn off.

Chumley

Banned
I don't think Craig has agreed to do a new Bond movie, has he?

Can't find the link but recently he said he's reconsidering doing two more, and rumors about a replacement have totally died out. I'm expecting some kind of announcement within the next couple of months.

Strike

If he doesn't got back on it, I wouldn't want FOX to touch the character for a while anyway. That won't happen so if he wants to keep on playing the role, I'm all for it.

Dead Man

I wouldn't mind the continuing adventures of ageing Wolverine. The movies would definitely need to go in a totally different direction than past movies though.

K' Dash

As he ages he looks more and more like logan, he's too tall though.

I really can't see anyone pulling off wolverine as he does.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I mean yeah in the X-Men movies it wouldn't have made sense, but since it's (kinda) rebooted with DoFP it would work especially now with Deadpool.

As he ages he looks more and more like logan, he's too tall though.

I really can't see anyone pulling off wolverine as he does.

I dunno, Jackman is Wolverine but... I really want to so see Tom Hardys version.

wolverine-costume.jpeg

I can picture it right now. During the climax of Deadpool 2, Deadpool will deliver Wolverine the briefcase, and say "Merry Christmas". Wolverine will open the briefcase and you don't see what's in it, but it glows like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Deadpool will ask "We happy?"
Wolverine will respond "Oh, we happy".

Then they're gonna have a slo-mo walk to "X gonna give it to ya" while they're both armored up.

Quote me in 2018 or something.

StayDead

I can picture it right now. During the climax of Deadpool 2, Deadpool will deliver Wolverine the briefcase, and say "Merry Christmas". Wolverine will open the briefcase and you don't see what's in it, but it glows like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Deadpool will ask "We happy?"
Wolverine will respond "Oh, we happy".

Then they're gonna have a slo-mo walk to "X gonna give it to ya" while they're both armored up.

Quote me in 2018 or something.

I want this to be true soo bad.

I also want it to be Hugh Jackman. They should kill Wolverine off if he's not coming back, because he's the only person I'll ever accept to play Logan. HE IS WOLVERINE DAMNIT!

Shaanyboi

Banned

wolverine-costume.jpeg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MU6z9h5Zyo0

Here is the official statement from the Director why it never happened:

Finding the rationale for a uniform when the character disdains self promotion, why he would put on some outfit that promotes himself as some kind of hero? It’s like Dirty Harry didn’t walk around with special outfit," Mangold said. "There’s a difficult line to walk. He’s not a showoff, he’s the last one to put on a team jersey. The flesh and blood character is very loyal to that iconoclastic rebel who doesn’t seem to be the first to don spandex. It isn’t something I’ve talked about much. Some fans may be frustrated, but we’re trying to be true to his character. Who knows whether that will change, I cannot verify and will not deny.”
It's the same thing I've said for years on this board - Wolverine's costume and personality are such wild opposites.

"You actually go outside in these things?" is the most true-to-character attitude towards that stuff, especially considering how outrageously gaudy that costume is. And that's without even getting into just what the fuck point it serves. Marvel has done a great job of justifying their characters' outfits.

Iron Man - high tech mech suit colored by an extremely flashy personality.
Captain America - propaganda outfit retrofitted onto a lightly armored utilitarian military suit.
Thor - armor of space Vikings
Hawkeye - tactical operative outfit with flexibility of arms in mind.
The list goes on...

What the fuck is Wolverine's costume? The hard-ass 200 year old war vet, chomping cigars and taking no shit... what the fuck is he doing wearing a fucking animal mask and a costume with fake claw marks on it just to show how "fierce" he is? It's awful and fits no logic whatsoever.

If your job is to design costumes for the movie, and you are studying the script and the character and you have to come up with a wardrobe that reflects who that character is and why they wear it, how the fuck do you justify that ludicrous costume for Logan?

If they want to make him wear it in Deadpool? Fine. That movie is designed to allow for flashy wild stupidity. But in anything meant to take Logan seriously, that costume is wildly ridiculous. Then again, those solo films were ridiculous enough on their own... The second one was particularly jarring in that last act in comparison to the rest of the film.

Because it looks cool man.

You could make that argument about any hero that doesn't hide their identity.

Could you though? Which characters don't hide their identities and have a costume? All of the ones I can think of are either part of a team and wearing uniforms (X-Men) or outfitted in tactical gear or tech (Avengers). The only ones that really stick out are Captain America (who is a symbol) and Thor (who is alien royalty).

If it counts, Deadpool is very purposely playing up the hokiest, most comic booky elements of the source, so it makes sense that he's in a uniform. Even so, the movie still justifies it. Red so he doesn't have to wash out blood stains and a mask to hide his hideous face.

But why would Logan wear a superhero costume? Only reason I can think of is if he appears in Deadpool 2 and they want to again play up the hokey comic book stuff.

Mechazawa

Deadpool feels so divorced from anything Singer-esque that they might as well just have two Wolverines. Young, new blood actor playing canon Logan in the "real" X-Men movies, and Hugh Jackman doing what-the-fuck-ever as old man Logan in Deadpool flicks.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wolverine is a soldier and a soldier wears a uniform.
So who else is wearing animal masks and outfits with fake claw marks? Or is he doing his best to make Beast feel less ridiculous?

Considering it's pretty fucking rare for any of the other X-Men to have "uniforms" (which, y'know, suggests uniformity), I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Wolverine has no memory of being a soldier, aside from owning dog tags.

That's where Deadpool comes in, showing him slideshows of his entire journey on a projector (aka clips from all previous X-Men/Wolverine movies) while he serves him Popcorn to a pissed off Wolverine in a theater room built inside Xavier's school.

Fuck, this movie will write itself.

Sojgat

He wears the suit in the comics, he should wear it in a movie at least once.

A good writer could find any number of ways to make it work. Have Logan be disgusted by the thing as a nice little callback to the yellow spandex joke from the first X-Men movie.

neoanarch

He wears the suit in the comics, he should wear it in a movie at least once.

A good writer could find any number of ways to make it work. Have Logan be disgusted by the thing as a nice little callback to the yellow spandex joke from the first X-Men movie.
It doesn't need a good writer or excuse at all. It's already a part of the character. It still works with the movie universe canon. He's tries to be a loner rebel but he's convinced by the ideals of Charles to fight again.

Alienous

Full costume in Deadpool would be a great way to end his relationship with the character.

Old Man Logan & Traditional Wolverine.

SteveWD40

I was assuming he dies in Logan, but then with the time-lines I doubt that matters.

Have him show up in Deadpool for sure.

ValfarHL

I guess that HUGH JACKMAN apparently WANTS to play a role in DEADPOOL 2 featuring RYAN REYNOLDS since they're FRIENDS and DEADPOOL was a pretty big SUCCESS

edit - someone fixed the unnecessary caps in the title so now my joke is lost

I still laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom