• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I spent a considerable amount of time locked in a shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcia

Banned
I guess that would also make you an insensitive asshole because I've said I'm sorry but for some reason you want to keep attacking me for it. Keep it coming, I guess I should be immune to all this name calling because I made a mistake.
So was he in there with a Gameboy or something? How does he know about the timeline of video games when it happened?

You just don't know when to stop do you?

Please leave this thread. All you are doing is making it about you. You are going off topic too. If you ever make it out of being a junior, make your own thread about proper writing technique or something, but don't do that here!

I guess that would also make you an insensitive asshole because I've said I'm sorry but for some reason you want to keep attacking me for it. Keep it coming, I guess I should be immune to all this name calling because I made a mistake.

So was he in there with a Gameboy or something? How does he know about the timeline of video games when it happened?

Yes he was.. While it seems like you only read OPs original post and nothing after. At the time OP was really into Pokemon and his family gave him batteries for his Gameboy and books to read. And while his longest time in there was over half a year.. He wasn't always in the shed.

Village

As a victim of child abuse... this makes me... particularly upset, in the angry sort of way. Luckily I was never locked in a shed, and eventually got so big my father grew scared of me.

I'm sorry for what happened to you.

From what I understand he is being prosecuted, that's good.

She confronted him. About his actions. At last. That was 2009. He ran away. Then we panicked. And we basically legged it from there, to here, and have been radio silence ever since. But he is going to be prosecuted now.

My family were aware. They didn't do anything. Well, they gave me books to read. Or gameboy batteries. But by and large he told them I was wicked and not to go near it, and they didn't.

They are just as much responsible for this as he is, unfortunately.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Seriously what? That story had way too many insignificant details like what the shed was made of, timeline of pots and bags of soil instead of talking about why his mum and siblings weren't helping him the whole time his dad was locking him in a shed for 9 months!

I'll avoid addressing the other parts of your post because many others are deservedly doing so and reply to the above.

Firstly, what the shed was made out of and what it contained are far from irrelevant. OP was confined in there for around 9 months and he is describing his surroundings during the ordeal. Would you be calling these irrelevant if it was the story of someone who was incarcerated in a prison described the iron bars, the uncomfortable bed and the rest of the minimal furnishings in the cell? OP is trying to describe his experiences, and those pots and what the shed was made of help us get an idea of the surroundings.

Secondly, and I find it funny because you mentioned a movie script, but this wasn't a movie. Op didn't know what was going on outside of this shed at the time, so aside from second hand information, you're not really going to get a lot of insight into the discussions that were going on between his family at the time, like you would in a movie.

Crayolan

When I was reading at first I was thinking, "oh, your time outs as a kid were in a cold shed, that sucks", but 9 months? What the absolute fuck? How old were you when this first happened? Were you starved for extended periods of time? I can't even imagine...

Snaggle

Banned
You just don't know when to stop do you?

Please leave this thread. All you are doing is making it about you. You are going off topic too. If you ever make it out of being a junior, make your own thread about proper writing technique or something, but don't do that here!

Just relax man this is a public forum where people chat and discuss things, it's not a one way street for someone to post a story and everyone to just agree with or sympathise with. We sometimes need details on these sorts of things for reasons I explained earlier, getting 5 pages of "Sorry this happened to you OP" isn't really achieving much so I'm sorry if I haven't done 'my part'. But having 5-6 posts of calling me out is more off-topic than me trying to flesh out some of the important details of how things like this can happen.

Again sorry OP, I know my first post was insensitive but I am genuinely more interested in the details if you are willing to share. Also maybe I can offer you some support in other ways? Do you have Steam? I can give you some codes for some free games if you would like? If you don't like games maybe some digital downloadable movies I have in some Blu-rays I haven't used yet. Again sorry OP you don't owe me anything but I would like to give you something anyways for being so crass. I'll PM you something when I get home anyways.

Yes he was.. While it seems like you only read OPs original post and nothing after. At the time OP was really into Pokemon and his family gave him batteries for his Gameboy and books to read. And while his longest time in there was over half a year.. He wasn't always in the shed.

So his family knew this was going on the whole time and did nothing? What year was this, what year did that game come out?

Arcia

Banned
Just relax man this is a public forum where people chat and discuss things, it's not a one way street for someone to post a story and everyone to just agree with or sympathise with. We sometimes need details on these sorts of things for reasons I explained earlier, getting 5 pages of "Sorry this happened to you OP" isn't really achieving much so I'm sorry if I haven't done 'my part'. But having 5-6 posts of calling me out is more off-topic than me trying to flesh out some of the important details of how things like this can happen.

You could just read the thread yourself. TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared has actually gone into more detail in their other posts and has answered a lot of the questions you have been asking.

Snaggle

Banned
You could just read the thread yourself. TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared has actually gone into more detail in their other posts and has answered a lot of the questions you have been asking.

Ok will do, I have a bad habit of skipping 2nd pages of threads and just reading the 1st and last pages. Again my bad sorry for the derail.

Christine

Seriously what? That story had way too many insignificant details like what the shed was made of, timeline of pots and bags of soil instead of talking about why his mum and siblings weren't helping him the whole time his dad was locking him in a shed for 9 months! This is something out of a horror story and not really something someone would go on a video gaming forum to vent about. If one of my sisters were locked in a shed I would go get them out, I don't care what the consequences are, so there are so many missing details about important stuff but instead I'm getting details like Pokemon Gold and silver etc? Were you playing video games in there the whole time? Why were you being singled out from your brothers and sisters?

This sort of behavior is a striking example of how the fears that people who have been abused tend to have surrounding trust and communicating their experiences often find realization in the responses they receive for trying.

OP you need to learn how to write stories better, attempting to read that gave me a headache, way too many diversions and going off on tangents that have no significance etc.

Approaching the Rubicon of disclosure is difficult. Relating a secret shame or violation brings a heightened variety of emotions about those experiences into play, crowding and confusing coherent narrative in myriad miniature perspectives of the events. It feels like stepping off the edge of the world, and between internal bewilderment and the near fight-or-flight panic involved, people relating experiences of abuse are often not the best storytellers. This is an unfortunate reality that exacerbates the issues that people who have been abused tend to have both in trusting others and in viewing themselves as worthy of the trust of others.

Anyways my condolences, I hope shed life wasn't too rough on you.

What an astonishingly shitty thing to say. I mean, seriously, why would you say a thing like that? Do you have a personal communication deficiency and actually don't understand how callous that sounds, or are you deliberately being an asshole?

Seriously what? That story had way too many insignificant details like what the shed was made of, timeline of pots and bags of soil instead of talking about why his mum and siblings weren't helping him the whole time his dad was locking him in a shed for 9 months! This is something out of a horror story and not really something someone would go on a video gaming forum to vent about. If one of my sisters were locked in a shed I would go get them out, I don't care what the consequences are, so there are so many missing details about important stuff but instead I'm getting details like Pokemon Gold and silver etc? Were you playing video games in there the whole time? Why were you being singled out from your brothers and sisters?

I'll try and write you a more compelling narrative :)

Pokemon is how i measured my life for a long time. All that time in fact. As for why I was singled out, I have no idea. Possibly because I was the youngest. Possibly because I was overweight. I have no idea.

Dalek

Pokemon is how i measured my life for a long time. All that time in fact. As for why I was singled out, I have no idea. Possibly because I was the youngest. Possibly because I was overweight. I have no idea.

You don't need to explain anything, friend.

I think measuring times in your life based on whatever entertainment was popular at the time is a perfectly reasonable thing. I remember certain events in my life depending on the release of Stephen King books and where I was when I read them.

Snaggle

Banned

Haha my bad for not reading some of your replies to the numerous questions you have already been asked which seemed to have filled in a lot of the blanks. It's pretty sad to think of some poor kid in a shed just innocently playing pokemon while there is this monster out there.....just unbelievable. I'm real sorry OP.

Again sorry OP, I know my first post was insensitive but I am genuinely more interested in the details if you are willing to share. Also maybe I can offer you some support in other ways? Do you have Steam? I can give you some codes for some free games if you would like? If you don't like games maybe some digital downloadable movies I have in some Blu-rays I haven't used yet. Again sorry OP you don't owe me anything but I would like to give you something anyways for being so crass. I'll PM you something when I get home anyways.

So his family knew this was going on the whole time and did nothing? What year was this, what year did that game come out?

Well he said he was 16 the last time he was in the shed and he's 23 now. The Pokemon games he was talking was (depending on country) 1999 - 2008 which is very recent.

Sorry for the derail OP

But I think if we're at this point, this thread has achieved everything its going to achieve. Since I don't want to tell a horror story here. Well I did, but I'm tired of thinking of it like that, I'm giving it too much power and I have been doing for too long. Although it doesn't feel good all the time and its very anxiety provoking and scary, I feel as though I might (possibly) be ready to move on at last. As Christina Perri said in her song, 'This is not the end of me, this is the beginning.'

So thank you guys for so much awesome support and kind words and being amazing people, I appreciate that more than you know. And I hope I can reciprocate one day if any of you ever need help or friendly advice or just someone to vent to. Honestly, any time any of you guys need something you think I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.

Could I have a mod lock this please? Since I've got what I was hoping for out of it, and I don't think its going to go anywhere else.

Faustek

Sorry to hear OP. I really am. But not worried. You have come off as a fun person from what I've seen prior to this thread and even now you seem strong. Good. I hope you stay strong and that justice is served.

Have you seen OP's other threads like the adopted cats etc? This thread just seems to have come out of leftfield when he seems like such a happy guy. I'm sorry about being insensitive OP, it's pretty crap what happened to you but would love to hear some more details about how this was allowed to happen? Maybe it can help us all prevent it in future for other people that might be vulnerable or look for tell tale signs of someone being abused right under our noses.

Hey man you don't need to start calling me names, I wasn't insulting OP just saying it was a weird way of telling the story.

So it's ok for everybody to insult me now, is that how this works?

Yeah calling you names seems appropriate and inappropriate at the same time.

We have all the data present on how people have stayed in an abusive relationship and still you wonder why the family did nothing or why they stayed. There is so much data to draw from and then you present it like it would never have been able to happen in your family because you would have been different. If you are in such a situation and the person that did this to you was Mr charming themselves and you truly believed this was for your own good you wouldn't have said or done jack. You'd accept it.
Then we have the fear part mixed in with an
authoritative pillar in the family. This is all you know. This is how the world is. You accept it and the others fear no one will believe you since this pillar is respected and liked outside of your family. And you're just a kid with a vivid imagination. Or a bad seed trying to dirty this well liked person. In the end everything will be your fault so you shut up and hide within yourself. Safety mechanic.

shink

Holy crap, you really wonder how parents can be so cruel to their children.
I'm so sorry, but glad you are able to talk a bit about it now.

Arcia

Banned
You don't need to explain anything, friend.

I think measuring times in your life based on whatever entertainment was popular at the time is a perfectly reasonable thing. I remember certain events in my life depending on the release of Stephen King books and where I was when I read them.

Yep same for me. I was a big Pokemon fan when I was a kid too and a lot of my childhood memories revolve around it. Since Pokemon was released on a semi regular schedule with generations and such, you really can track those releases along with major sections of your life growing up, like playing Gen 1 in elementary school, Gen 3 in middle school, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom