• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I spent a considerable amount of time locked in a shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf. The whole time I was thinking you just spent a few hours in there, but then I got to the part where you were in there for months. Holy shit.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That sounds horrific, I'm glad you're seeing some sort of closure(?)

What happened in terms of school and stuff?

Lot of imagination. And I don't mean that in a funny way, I mean imagining myself doing more fun things. Like being spiderman. Or being a pokemon trainer or buzz lightyear. And reading the same books over and over and over.

And I went to the toilet in the shed. I suppose it wouldn't have smelt good. But I can't say it bothered me at the time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
OP at least tell me you punched him in the fucking face after the fact or something along those lines. Though pressing charges is even better but still.

darscot

Do you have desire to harm the man and how do you control it? The rage must be hard to control but then again maybe all that time alone lets you think more clearly.

DJ_Lae

Holy shit, at one point in there for 9 months straight? That's horrible.

I can't imagine the thought process one would go through to justify putting a kid through that, or how it was for you to be subjected to that. Even pressing charges is probably a small consolation at this point, I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Do you have desire to harm the man and how do you control it? The rage must be hard to control but then again maybe all that time alone lets you think more clearly.

Well we're in different countries now. I haven't seen him in a long time. It shouldn't have taken so long to report this to the police and begin legal proceedings, but we've been basically hiding for 7 years now. Haven't seen any of the extended family still there, my mum had to leave her job, my brother had to leave university, we ran away after he did.

The only thing I don't understand is how did your mom and the rest of your family just let him do that? How in the hell? What you wrote is not an excuse for them. You mother should also be prosecuted too. And other thing is, when you did you start seeking legal action over this? Is your dad a fugitive of some kind? I am sorry if I sound insensitive, but this sort of stuff boils my brain.

What did your meals consist of?
Did you try to stay active or did you just sit/sleep a lot?
Always had water/something to drink?

Linkark07

Banned
Wait, you spent approximately 9 months inside a shed? That is awful.

Plan to do something against your father? Any legal action?

Edit: silly me, just read the first paragraph. Hopefully he spends many years inside a cell.

It's terrible that you were put in that situation. He should be in jail.

For the record this occurred between the ages of pokemon gold and silver and the release of pokemon platinum.

That's hilarious.

How do you spend 10 months locked in a shed and nobody notice? You didn't go to school? Other family members didn't notice you were missing during family functions?

Was this 10 concurrent months, and by that I mean you were not allowed in the house to bathe or sleep?

The only thing I don't understand is how did your mom and the rest of your family just let him do that? How in the hell? What you wrote is not an excuse for them. You mother should also be prosecuted too. And other thing is, when you did you start seeking legal action over this? Is your dad a fugitive of some kind? I am sorry if I sound insensitive, but this sort of stuff boils my brain.

She confronted him. About his actions. At last. That was 2009. He ran away. Then we panicked. And we basically legged it from there, to here, and have been radio silence ever since. But he is going to be prosecuted now.

My family were aware. They didn't do anything. Well, they gave me books to read. Or gameboy batteries. But by and large he told them I was wicked and not to go near it, and they didn't.

darscot

Well we're in different countries now. I haven't seen him in a long time. It shouldn't have taken so long to report this to the police and begin legal proceedings, but we've been basically hiding for 7 years now. Haven't seen any of the extended family still there, my mum had to leave her job, my brother had to leave university, we ran away after he did.

I think you took as long as you needed to deal with it. If you can just put it behind that's awesome.

entremet

You spent 9 months straight locked in a shed? Am I reading this right?

You should consider legal action.

Wait, you spent approximately 9 months inside a shed? That is awful.

Plan to do something against your father? Any legal action?

It's in the OP.

Also, we are finally after a really long time, taking legal proceedings against the person responsible, and he is going to be arrested. Its the same person who I mentioned in all the other threads. He made my life hell for a long time.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That must be a complicated relationship with your mother. I'm glad she eventually fought for you, I imagine she was abused and fearful of your father as well.

Did your siblings ever get locked in the shed? Was there much of an age-gap? Do you think getting older protected you from abuse, like your father was worried about you confronting or standing up to him/going to authorities, or was the confinement ending around that time co-incidental?

Did any other relatives know, and how are those relationships now?

How do you feel about popular media covering similar experiences? Room, Nobody Knows, Kimmy Schmidt, etc?

Finally, have you been undergoing therapy? Thanks for sharing your story as well, I wish you the best going forward.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I am so sorry to hear this OP.
This is unbelievable. You were locked in there for a year basically? That's insane. I am so sorry.
I don't know what to say man.

I read your posts and you come across as the nicest guy on GAF. It sucks someone like you had to go through something like this. I hope you stay strong.

Krejlooc

Banned
the longest at one time i spent was from my birthday in 2005 which is february, to november that same year.

Holy fuck, I am so sorry. Jesus christ. How old were you when this went on??

That makes my stomach turn.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
the longest at one time i spent was from my birthday in 2005 which is february, to november that same year. otherwise it was shorter. but i mean you dont notice those things do you. i used to get lots of food put through and meals twice a day. as for why nobody noticed my absence outside of my house, i think it was put round i was sick. so my mum says. and i think a lot of people forgot me? i didn't have many friends and we were very young so i suppose thats natural. the last time i was in the shed i was 16, that was before he ran away when he was finally confronted by my mother.

So thats it really. It was quite hard to type that out. Any questions, ask.

What the fuck?
OP, this is serious criminal abuse. I am SO SORRY you had to endure such experiences.

It even sounds like, on certain levels, you still haven't come to terms with how horrible a thing has been done to you.

Is there anything we on GAF can do to help?

That's a seriously fucked up thing he did to you dude! Do you feel like you will never get over it, like you are too afraid to ever open up to anyone in case they punish you? Do you do any sort of therapy or the like?

Its also pretty fucked up the rest of your family didn't protect you :(

That must be a complicated relationship with your mother. I'm glad she eventually fought for you, I imagine she was abused and fearful of your father as well.

Did your siblings ever get locked in the shed? Was there much of an age-gap? Do you think getting older protected you from abuse, like your father was worried about you confronting or standing up to him/going to authorities, or was the confinement ending around that time co-incidental?

Did any other relatives know, and how are those relationships now?

How do you feel about popular media covering similar experiences? Room, Nobody Knows, Kimmy Schmidt, etc?

Finally, have you been undergoing therapy? Thanks for sharing your story as well, I wish you the best going forward.

Not as far as I'm aware. My oldest sister is quite a bit older than me, but there was so many of us, there was only 5 or 6 living in the house at that time as I recall. I think being older meant they went far away as possible. Probably cos they knew what he was like. I didn't have any friends at that time, and the one time I tried asking for help, he told them I had an overactive imagination and I'd made it up. And then he beat the shit out of me when we got home.

No, but we haven't spoken to them in a long time. There's a whole section of the family in England we haven't seen or spoken to in 8 years, just in case.

I like Room. He was much more volatile than that though, his mood changed very fast. I think Kimmy Schmidt is funny. I wish I had her courage.

And yes. But I'm not finding face to face therapy very helpful.

And gaf is already helping. I haven't had the courage to tell anyone this before. Specially not face to face people. It wasn't easy typing that out. But it feels better now.

DemiMatt

Wow OP, I am horrified by your experience. Really happy you escaped it.

I have a few questions:

How old are you now?

What is your relationship with your mother?

What is your mother's relationship with your father?

Are you sure your brother isn't actually the evil twin? This is like The Simpson's treehouse of horror episode where the family locked another sibling in the attic for years that Bart and Lisa didn't know of.

Krejlooc

Banned
What has been the effects of this kind of torture? Just from reading the story, it would seem this guy robbed you of primary school education. Does this affect your ability to find employment? Do you have any long term phobias stemming from this? A learned claustrophobia? From the tone of your post, it sounds like you're deeply wounded and believe nobody cares about you, and I can understand why.

Please don't feel this way, most people have a conscious and would be reviled to hear this happened. You went through something extraordinary and uncommon. I seriously feel disturbed for you.

It's terrible that this happened to you and it was allowed to continue.

I thought this would be about how someone accidentally locked themselves in a shed in their backyard or something. Whoa.

You're very brave to have put up with this, and to tell your story. So glad to hear you've gotten away, and are moving forward with things.

I don't know if I'd be strong enough to do that.

WolfeTone

Absolutely horrific stuff being described there. Your father is a despicable human being.

Glad to hear that you're pursuing legal action. Your father should be in prison. I'm curious to know if you're concerned at all about the media picking up on this case if it does go to court? Knowing the country you're from, I'm aware of how stories like these get picked up by the papers. Would that potential spotlight bother you? I hope it won't deter you from pursuing this through the courts.

I have to say, I've lurked these forums for many years and I always noticed your posts (maybe it's the cool avatar). You've always struck me as a well-adjusted and level-headed guy. It's remarkable to me that you survived a childhood like that and have come out so (for want of a much better term) "normal". Not a lot of people can live through experiences like that without suffering major long-term psychological issues.You should be proud of yourself OP. You seem like a cool dude.

Wow OP, I am horrified by your experience. Really happy you escaped it.

I have a few questions:

How old are you now?

What is your relationship with your mother?

What is your mother's relationship with your father?

I'm 23. Its fine. It wasn't good, but its got better recently. She's not in the best place herself either.

No I passed my. Well we do leaving certificate exams here, I failed most of them, but I got the highest possible marks for English and history, since they were the subjects I have the most experience with. But I have struggled with going beyond secondary education.

I don't know if anyone else has read Enid Blyton's books, or Jennings by Anthony Buckeridge, but those books saved my life. I've read them more times than I can count.

Jay Sosa

Good luck with your recovery! Usually I don't post in such personal threads but man this is on a whole nother level.

Are you mad at your mom for not sticking up for you sooner? I know I would be.

And I know this is probably a very stupid question..but are you afraid of sheds now? Like do you get an eerie feeling when you see a shed on TV or pass by one?

I thought this would be about how someone accidentally locked themselves in a shed in their backyard or something. Whoa.

Yep, I was thinking we're talking about hours not months.

OP you must be a really lovely bloke to be so calm about it all.

Still if your young and this is normal at the time then it's difficult to imagine being in that situation if normal is different to yours.

All glad your on GAF and moving on.

Good luck with your recovery! Usually I don't post in such personal threads but man this is on a whole nother level.

Are you mad at your mom for not sticking up for you sooner? I know I would be.

Yep, I was thinking we're talking about hours not months.

No. Maybe I should be. I was very much so. But she didn't have a good time of it herself, he wasn't very nice to her either. And such awful resentful emotions aren't helpful. I don't mean in the sense of it being easy to forgive her, I don't think I have. But it would be pointless to maintain an endless stance of bitter hatred towards her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom