• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Final Fantasy Disease" Infected Square Enix, Says FFXV's Director

Qwark

And FF9 was always meant to be an FF. You miiiight possibly be thinking of FF10, which started out as an original concept by Yusuke Naora:

But even then, there was no rival teams in a competition for the FF title or anything. Which is sad because that would actually have been badass in a way.

Ironically the only time something like that actually happened is with Square Enix's Fabula Nova Crystallis project.

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject, probably more so than me, but I too remember hearing something about how Final Fantasy IX was originally designed to not be a numbered entry, rather it would be Final Fantasy Gaiden, a spinoff, like Tactics and Adventure. Granted, I can't find an official source on that, but there is quite a bit of discussion across message boards.

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject, probably more so than me, but I too remember hearing something about how Final Fantasy IX was originally designed to not be a numbered entry, rather it would be Final Fantasy Gaiden, a spinoff, like Tactics and Adventure. Granted, I can't find an official source on that, but there is quite a bit of discussion across message boards.

Yeah there were rumors that FFIX was originally a gaiden entry, but that was mostly speculation because fans (and gaming journalists) couldn't believe that the game was so different than VII and VIII.

What happened is that someone at Square USA leaked design documents to the Gaming Intelligence Agency, and apparently the documents were clearly labelled "FF9". So the GIA said as much, but added speculation that the game could perhaps actually be a gaiden or even a remake of FF1. Then they asked Shinji Hashimoto and he said that nothing has been decided yet (which is just a non-answer really, since the game had yet to be officially announced).

Similarly, at some point Yoshinori Kitase stated that there's no way to know whether FFXIV would be medieval or futuristic. He said that a few weeks before the official announcement of FFXIV, even though the game had been in development for half a decade...

Final Fantasy pretty much lost its soul when it lost the Gooch.

I don't really get this mentality. Every FF entry, especially starting on the SNES, has been fairly different. 12 had major gameplay differences but so did 10. And if 12 just had a normal ATB system I don't think anyone would be saying it isn't FF-like. Some FFs are very high fantasy, some are very futuristic, some are closer to our real world, some are very far from it. Everyone has different preferences of which FF is their favourite because of these differences. There isn't really a right or wrong answer though. FF very quickly became a series that was diverse with each entry. And that's how it should be. The bigger problem is in the 90s it was a nearly-annual franchise. Since FFX we've had only 4 mainline games, two of which were MMOs. Because of this not all of the various types of FF are really being serviced. If you didn't like 12 and didn't like 13 and didn't play the MMOs...FF has basically been dead to you for 15 years.

Great point. I liked 12, but that was an oasis in the middle of skipping 9, hating 10, avoiding 10-2, skipping the MMOs, and no interest in the 13 trilogy. It's been a long, long time since Final Fantasy has really been relevant to me. I'd imagine that's the case for a lot of people.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I like the idea that FF is a franchise where each entry is different. They just need to do a better job of following up. There were rumblings of the FFXII style being followed up on, but all we got was a DS gane nobody liked and a canceled western developed sequel. And to FFXIII, the antithesis of what a FFXIII fan wants out of an RPG.

I liked Revenant Wings. It was simple and fun. Don't know why GAF seems to hate it so much.

Final Fantasy pretty much lost its soul when it lost the Gooch.

Great point. I liked 12, but that was an oasis in the middle of skipping 9, hating 10, avoiding 10-2, skipping the MMOs, and no interest in the 13 trilogy. It's been a long, long time since Final Fantasy has really been relevant to me. I'd imagine that's the case for a lot of people.

But 9 was Sakaguchi's masterpiece...

Regarding real time vs turn based I really don't care. Just do me a favour and pick one or the other. These hybrid systems like in Kingdom Hearts where you have action combat but at the same time have to fiddle around in a menu are the worst. Granted I still liked the KH games in spite of that.

OT: I can kind of understand devs beginning to feel special or even untouchable when they're given free reign over such an important franchise. It seems more like a self bred company philosophy than a "disease".

Top Bottom