• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Final Fantasy Disease" Infected Square Enix, Says FFXV's Director

Ishida

Banned
and recently there's been an obsession with crystals. Everything has to have crystals. Crystals errywhere even when it doesn't make sense!

Wha...

Pretty much every mainline FF game has featured Crystals or a variant of them (Materia, Spheres) as one of their main concepts and focus.

Ray Down

Banned
What's interesting about Final Fantasy always being a different thing every entry in the series is the focus on maintaining superficial links between the games with trivial inserted elements. Every FF title has to have chocobos, airships, moogles, a person named Cid, people who fight with swords that defeat people using guns, and recently there's been an obsession with crystals. Everything has to have crystals. Crystals errywhere even when it doesn't make sense!

Crystals are in every single mainline entry and are important in each universe.

Tabata wont dare to go at Lord Nomura like that, Toriyama is the one to blame.

Nomura is equally deserving blame. He wasted ten years for his version of Final Fantasy. Seeing that man cast stones saying "you can't make a Final Fantasy through love alone" is hilarious considering his game was in limbo and needed to be taken over.

Nomura is just as much a failure as Toriyama, caught up in his own vision than what's good for the series.

If anyone has FF Disease it's Nomura and I even happen to like his games!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to wonder if troublesome attitudes among Square staff coincide with the beginning of the PS2 generation for a reason. Japanese developers suffered steadily from increasing scope and budget of AAA games in the early 2000s. It took Square years to get FF XII finished and it ran into problems.

It seems conveniently aligned that around this time various people at Square would have begun fighting over what direction to take the series in. After moving away from the formula of the PS1 games, the next generation of software was both way more expensive and offered many possibilities that weren't practical before.

And all this happened around the time Sakaguchi began leaving. Without a strong guiding hand, I could believe everything turned into a quagmire. From my perspective it's not just that every FF game went in different directions. It's also that by the time they got to FFXIII Square seemed to be having real trouble pulling together a cohesive vision for what even the current game was. XIII comes off as stripped down and shallow, and IIRC it's confirmed that much of the game was cut due to being unusable as a result of confused development.

I have to wonder if troublesome attitudes among Square staff coincide with the beginning of the PS2 generation for a reason. Japanese developers suffered steadily from increasing scope and budget of AAA games in the early 2000s. It took Square years to get FF XII finished and it ran into problems.

It seems conveniently aligned that around this time various people at Square would have begun fighting over what direction to take the series in. After moving away from the formula of the PS1 games, the next generation of software was both way more expensive and offered many possibilities that weren't practical before.

And all this happened around the time Sakaguchi began leaving. Without a strong guiding hand, I could believe everything turned into a quagmire. From my perspective it's not just that every FF game went in different directions. It's also that by the time they got to FFXIII Square seemed to be having real trouble pulling together a cohesive vision for what even the current game was. XIII comes off as stripped down and shallow, and IIRC it's confirmed that much of the game was cut due to being unusable as a result of confused development.

A big thing is Spirits Within's failure, which being Sakaguchi's baby then led directly to his departure and the Enix merger. Really it's basically like a bunch of inconvenient things all happened right at the same time.

What.

The Suikoden fanbase was very vocal in wanting to something more like II after III's more experimentation. V for instance is almost a rip off of II and shares far too many elements. IV dropped practically everything III set out to do. It was the anti-thesis of III and was a general response to that game. II cursed the series and now people actually think it's the only Suikoden worth playing.

But Suikoden definitely wasn't homogenous from entry to entry with few changes. III introduced the trinity sight system, skill system, buddy system, and more.

Your original premise was that Suikoden would still be alive if they experimented more. Your suggestion is errornous given III's existence and the backlash it received.

I've never met a Final Fantasy game I didn't like better than most of its contemporaries in whatever genre (JRPG for the mainline, but stuff like ARPG/SRPG in some of the spin offs).

Really the only game in the series I have no love for is FFXI, and that's due to it being one of the most inconvenient MMOs I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

.JayZii

Banned
This disease was a good thing when the games came out in a timely fashion. When games take 5-10 years to develop, it becomes more ridiculous.

Whether I'm a fan of specific games or not, I'm never going to fault Square for having games that experiment a bit and have a unique ethos with each entry. I will fault them, however, for when they let a couple of divas take over the series for a decade.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That FF XV demo certainly gave me a disease. Just give me a HD version of XII already, it's the only mainline series entry since IX I like anyway.

Turin

Banned
That FF XV demo certainly gave me a disease. Just give me a HD version of XII already, it's the only mainline series entry since IX I like anyway.

I'm eagerly anticipating this because I want to give the game another chance. I didn't like it when it released but that was 10 years ago. They sure haven't made anything better since then.

Vaan's still a mistake.

javadoze

Though it's up in the air as to whether FFXV will be any good or not, I've been really enjoying these interviews and musings from Tabata on the state of Final Fantasy as a franchise.

Teknoman

This disease was a good thing when the games came out in a timely fashion. When games take 5-10 years to develop, it becomes more ridiculous.

Whether I'm a fan of specific games or not, I'm never going to fault Square for having games that experiment a bit and have a unique ethos with each entry. I will fault them, however, for when they let a couple of divas take over the series for a decade.

Bingo.

NateDog

Long development times and barely any internal effort on non-FF titles in a nutshell. Shows how genius Sakaguchi's approach of having multiple teams compete with projects that may or may not be allowed to carry the FF name really was.
Apologies for going back a few pages but would you (or someone else) mind elaborating on this? I never really read into Sakaguichi's development style or ideas when at Square and what changed after he left.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How is it considered a "disease" to have an opinion about the game series that you're working on?? Sounds like a childish way of Tabata saying that he's the new boss and it's his way or the high way.
It's a disease when it clouds the judgement of staff members during the development process slowing it down and it's a disease when people write off the next game in the brand because they feel it should feature moogles and random battles for example.

I think Tabata's just realistic and was commenting on how even though FF is a strong brand it is just that a brand and that each game is in reality its own entity, even if it carries the FF name on its shoulders and even if people/staff identify with different games in the series, the brand doesn't necessarily have "a singular identity" though he does say that FF to him is "a constantly evolving challenger" which you could take to mean a host of things, all positive.

Fraxin

The points about XII are pretty apt because I think it's sometimes lost that it was actually received by a fair bit of negativity, not unlike MGS V, for not being 'FF' enough.

As people returned to the game, or gave it a second chance with different expectations (or a lack thereof), it's slowly won over more fans on its own merits. Merits that were of course always there as it had its own cult following from the beginning, namely the obvious Matsuno fans. And I think MGS V is not a perfect parallel because it's arguably even more divisive. But they're both interesting examples of that sort of alluded disease, and what each person expects and believe a FF should be.

I like Matsuno's games,yet I didn't enjoy FFXII much. The beginning of the game seemed interesting but the plot later on fell pretty short.

Dark_castle

I like Matsuno's games,yet I didn't enjoy FFXII much. The beginning of the game seemed interesting but the plot later on fell pretty short.

Maybe one day Square Enix would hire Matsuno to direct a FFXII remake with the full original script by Matsuno himself starring Basch as the lead character as intended, and the world will be a better place for it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Btw wasn't FFXIII one of the highest selling entry in the West? Because I fear the lowering popularity of the franchise has mostly to do with Japan, a country that is basically abandoning home consoles all together and not just FF.

Maybe one day Square Enix would hire Matsuno to direct a FFXII remake with the full original script by Matsuno himself starring Basch as the lead character as intended, and the world will be a better place for it.

There was nothing stopping the game from revolving around Basch. The game revolved around Ashe, not Vaan, anyways.

Celine

For example, Final Fantasy XII was launched in 2006, and anyone who liked that game never received another product that followed up on its ideals to capitalize on the audience they found. This is on top of the fact that game didn't appeal to a lot of people who liked the previous entries.

Had it been a new IP or a Tactics Ogre game instead, they could have kept iterating on it while making something more in line with their (then) recent games for the Final Fantasy series.
Had it been a new IP or Tactics Ogre, the game would have never shipped 6.4 million units.

anaron

Apologies for going back a few pages but would you (or someone else) mind elaborating on this? I never really read into Sakaguichi's development style or ideas when at Square and what changed after he left.
There's some choice quotes and links in this old thread of mine you can check out

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=744184

here's some other stuff

“I don’t like sequels,” he told IGN during a recent sit-down interview. “I hate them.”
That’s because Sakaguchi -- who’s in San Francisco this week to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award, believes a game should be a complete experience. "That’s why every single Final Fantasy had a new cast of characters, a brand new story, [and] a different system.”
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/final-fantasy-creator-hates-sequels

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The discussion happening in this thread doesn't even seem related to the article nor what Tabata was discussing, which was the sense of entitlement among FF directors and key staff.

Which is odd coming from the guy whose job it is to dictate what Final Fantasy is.

Dark_castle

I'd argue it already is.

It has to be Tetsuya Nomura actually. Yes, Yoshida is doing a great job with XIV, but the game has been out for awhile now along with its expansion, already achieved stable player base. His duty is basically largely done.

Meanwhile Nomura directs Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII remake, also making character designs for these games, FFXV, World of Final Fantasy AND the new Dissidia. It's insane how much Square Enix is dependant on this guy now, when they have somebody like Ito around doing jack shit.

OmegaDL50

I don't really get this mentality. Every FF entry, especially starting on the SNES, has been fairly different. 12 had major gameplay differences but so did 10. And if 12 just had a normal ATB system I don't think anyone would be saying it isn't FF-like. Some FFs are very high fantasy, some are very futuristic, some are closer to our real world, some are very far from it. Everyone has different preferences of which FF is their favourite because of these differences. There isn't really a right or wrong answer though. FF very quickly became a series that was diverse with each entry. And that's how it should be. The bigger problem is in the 90s it was a nearly-annual franchise. Since FFX we've had only 4 mainline games, two of which were MMOs. Because of this not all of the various types of FF are really being serviced. If you didn't like 12 and didn't like 13 and didn't play the MMOs...FF has basically been dead to you for 15 years.

The thing is with continuous changes there is very little if any concept of maintaining a level of consistency or familiarity. I mean outside of a few notable stables such as Chocobos, Moogles, Cid, and some monsters that have been carried over from title to title, outside of this on some games in the franchise one could easily change these aspects, give it a new name and the typical RPG fan would be none the wiser it was a FF game.

With series like Dragon Quest, fans know what they are getting, the series is consistent that one could play the first game and the series and the most recent single player installment and see while there are significant improvements in the mechanics, the core that defines as Dragon Quest game is still there.

If one was to play the very first FF game in the series and then play the most recent single player mainline installment, there is very little elements that are retained if any at all.

It's fine for a series of improve and progress over time. However the problem with constantly trying to reinvent the wheel and make something drastically different than the previous game is over time you lose the familiarity and core concepts start to become something unrecognizable.

With the FF series you are never guaranteed what you get and because of huge overarching changes from setting, gameplay mechanics, and even to the point of a genre shift from turn based RPG to a hybrid semi-real time to full real time to even action. It can be said that nothing is truly sacred when it comes to the FF series.

Sometimes change for the sake of change isn't necessary, retreading an old concept that works well and refining it can work well too.

Long development times and barely any internal effort on non-FF titles in a nutshell. Shows how genius Sakaguchi's approach of having multiple teams compete with projects that may or may not be allowed to carry the FF name really was.

Wait when did he do that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The example is not so much about Final Fantasy XII as it is not being sufficiently Final Fantasy in flavor, but that Square Enix threw out most of the brands their teams were working on in favor of having them make Final Fantasy games, and ended up with one discordant mega-brand that has trouble serving any of its various audiences instead of a line-up of separate IPs that each serve and build upon more specific audiences.

Eh... I don't think they necessarily jettison'd Tatics Ogre to slap the Final Fantasy name on everything. They only did it with "12" because Tatics Ogre wasn't selling as much as the Final Fantasy name. That and Matsuno was using Ivalice again.

The major problem is, outside of Final Fantasy, most of Square's output has been very niche. Major sellers in some (Kingdom Hearts), but niche for a lot of others (the Bouncer, Tactics Ogre, Valkeria Profile, etc...). So them test-bedding ideas in Final Fantasy isn't necessarily bad especially if you've played most games in the "series" but it does as you say, become a problem when folks that enjoyed those subsystems they created in something like 12 ask for a sequel and then get something completely different from it (FF10-2, FF12-2/RW, FF13-3)

Identifying the problem is the first step to fixing it. I wish they'd take a look at Persona and see that they can still be a JRPG. Not everything needs to be westernized. But maybe this one will turn out better than I hope.

brad-t

Which is odd coming from the guy whose job it is to dictate what Final Fantasy is.

It's clear that Tabata sees his role more about enabling Final Fantasy to take shape with strong team collaboration, rather than dictating it by fiat.

wmlk

Huh? Gears was a failed story pitch for FF, but it was never a full fledged game before it. That's the only story that comes remotely close from what I've read, and even that's a stretch.

mclem

I really feel that this is a weakness for the Final Fantasy games. Like, what actually makes a game a "final fantasy game"?

Chocobo, Moogles, Biggs, Wedge, Cid.

Other than the mechanical side of things (Spell names, summons, that sort of thing), those are the only heavily consistent components that spring to mind.

benzy

Hey! If anyone still hasn't read the article, the fan who translated it posted it here all on one page: https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/di...e-tabata-ffxv-translation-compiliation#latest

If the original poster wants to put the link in the main post, that would be cool

"Tabata:
For example, there was much criticism regarding FFXIII on the net. But within the company, there was absolutely no one who shared their own critical opinions to the development. That's how Square Enix has been operated since the past. There was a stance where one could not slander the development with critical opinions. Of course this creates sense of an abnormal self affirmance. This is another bad trait carried over from the era.
4Gamer:
That is... ... but however, what about thinking in a way that negative feedback is best left unchecked? Since this is a very rigorous job for those who are weak to criticism.
Tabata:
No matter who it is, everyone is salty when they are criticized. But for developers, it is essential to take in feedback, whether that is positive or negative. On top of that, you are not suppose to personally process the criticism emotionally, but process the 'importance' of the criticism, so you can learn from your mistakes and make better use of it next time.
Harada:
I see, so the FF virus really exists."

royox

I really feel that this is a weakness for the Final Fantasy games. Like, what actually makes a game a "final fantasy game"?

These days each numbered entry are so radically different from each other, with very few similarities between them aside from the name.

For me it was Command/Menu based battles.

Every main line FF game has battles based on commands and menus. Some are pure turns, some have ATB, some are more real time paced like XII but the "menu thing" was always constant.

And then, FFXV happened. "Hold X to awesome, press square to awesome-dodge, keep holding X to axesome".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Had it been a new IP or Tactics Ogre, the game would have never shipped 6.4 million units.

That's the trade off, right?

New IPs generally start slower and have to build up over time, but they're able to become distinct product lines.

Imagine if Far Cry and Watch Dogs were just annual entries in Assassin's Creed instead. That's be a lot less money for Ubisoft overall.

Brentonp

Every main line FF game has battles based on commands and menus. Some are pure turns, some have ATB, some are more real time paced like XII but the "menu thing" was always constant.

And then, FFXV happened. "Hold X to awesome, press square to awesome-dodge, keep holding X to axesome".

You can hold X in FFVII and all your characters will attack as soon as their turns come up. This will let you win the majority of random battles in the game unless you've been running away a lot. Sure, you can use magic, summons and other abilities... But you can also do that in XV. Selecting party member abilities is essentially like selecting from a menu... and in order to select those abilities for other party members you have to wait for a bar to fill up. There are still similarities that make it feel FF-like.

brad-t

Yes, this is so much different than "select command from menu to awesome."

What's interesting about FFXV's combat system is that it is still essentially command-oriented, which is probably why those expecting it to feel more like Kingdom Hearts or other action games find it disappointing.

Holding a button to attack and selecting "Attack" from a command menu are both still abstractions of actual combat. And adjusting your abilities by pressing different joystick directions is not a world apart from selecting an ability from a menu. It's a bit more demanding of a player's real-time engagement than a typical menu-based system, for sure. You're selecting commands in real time, but it's not a technical action game in the way something like DMC or even Kingdom Hearts is.

I don't mean to say that people shouldn't prefer turn-based or command-oriented combat if they want to; I'm looking forward to XV after playing older Final Fantasies and realizing I'd like something that's more fluid and realtime, but I understand that not everyone is.

But these complaints are really reductive, and premature considering the fact that the combat system in its current incarnation can basically only experienced without a party against one rather slow enemy.

Qwark

Huh? Gears was a failed story pitch for FF, but it was never a full fledged game before it. That's the only story that comes remotely close from what I've read, and even that's a stretch.

Gears? I know you're not talking about Gears of War, but what game/pitch are you talking about?

Xenogears.

Oh, duh, thanks. I completely blanked there.

royox

You can hold X in FFVII and all your characters will attack as soon as their turns come up. This will let you win the majority of random battles in the game unless you've been running away a lot. Sure, you can use magic, summons and other abilities... But you can also do that in XV. Selecting party member abilities is essentially like selecting from a menu... and in order to select those abilities for other party members you have to wait for a bar to fill up. There are still similarities that make it feel FF-like.

You are just using semantics. You know what I was talking about when I was talking about "holding X to attack".

I played both demos and both demos felt like "I wanna be an ARPG but NOPE!". It feels like they didn't knew what to do with the gameplay and just left it halfways of being an ARPG but withouth the command/orders thing.

Fraxin

I think I'd take this instead, at least I'll use a different move. Unlike FFXIII, just mash X and they'll finish the battle for you.

Brentonp

You are just using semantics. You know what I was talking about when I was talking about "holding X to attack".

I played both demos and both demos felt like "I wanna be an ARPG but NOPE!". It feels like they didn't knew what to do with the gameplay and just left it halfways of being an ARPG but withouth the command/orders thing.

I get what you're saying and it's fine to prefer ATB or turn-based. But I just wouldn't say that the system in XV makes it less of a Final Fantasy game or something. I've played both demos as well but we still haven't played the final battle system with all party members and all the features that will be included. We probably don't even know the extent of all those features yet.

To me it feels like FFXV is doing it's own thing with the battle system. It's not a direct ripoff of any other game or really any other genre. They have created something new for people to learn and master. Each installment creates a new battle system even if they just make minor changes to previous systems. This is one of the things that makes FF FF to me.

Munti

These days each numbered entry are so radically different from each other, with very few similarities between them aside from the name.

It's imo the strength of the series. If you don't like an entry, you can wait for the next and maybe you will like this one. Let you suprise by each entry :).

I also believe that the brand (for the main titles) is an indication for high production value (regardless if you like the game/the new system or not)

JayDub

I feel this tends to be the issue with the way they structured the IP.

By having each entry be disparate, you end up without a strong internal vision of what the series is actually about, or even products that necessarily have any appeal to the people who liked the previous entry.

For example, Final Fantasy XII was launched in 2006, and anyone who liked that game never received another product that followed up on its ideals to capitalize on the audience they found. This is on top of the fact that game didn't appeal to a lot of people who liked the previous entries.

Had it been a new IP or a Tactics Ogre game instead, they could have kept iterating on it while making something more in line with their (then) recent games for the Final Fantasy series.

I think it's good that they're trying to take in outside feedback and make a game modern consumers actually want, but I don't think this actually helps their fundamental problem if everyone who likes Final Fantasy XV never gets another similar game from Square Enix.

Had that they done that, FFXII wouldn't have received the budget, time or attention it did. SE wouldnt have bothered with sending in a new director to fix it. The FFXII we know today wouldn't exist in its current form. It needed to be a mainline Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom