• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Darkness spiritual successor, 'Shadow of the Eternals', alive again ; Trailer

I'd sooner burn my money before giving a hack like dyack any and I hope he doesn't sucker anyone with his failboat crowd funding round 2.

CO_Andy

So much for reconciliation between GAF and Dyack.

5AmUd1z.jpg

I made these:

The Colour Out of Place
Paul Caporicci: Re-Animator
At the Mountains of Bad Press

I have never supported any sordid hashtag campaigns, but I felt Precursor Games did not get a fair shake in 2013.

The kind of hate I see for this guy here is really quite extreme and mean, and always has been, since he's been banned from ever replying to any of it for nearly a decade, before I even joined. Just sayin'.

you maybe had a point before he went full gator. but he's beyond the pale at this point. also he's a fucking liar and scammer now, too.

Dyack also commented on why the game's crowdfunding campaigns failed, where at one point he blames "extremely unethical" games journalism.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

Give it up, Dyack. I don't want this from you. Many don't. Just let Nintendo give an actual, talented developer the opportunity to make a true sequel. Just stop.

Nairume

Banned
The kind of hate I see for this guy here is really quite extreme and mean, and always has been, since he's been banned from ever replying to any of it for nearly a decade, before I even joined. Just sayin'.
I mean

He made an absolute ass out of himself back then and hasn't done anything since that has made an argument for him growing up. If anything, him tying himself to GG makes him look even worse than when he was "only" embarrassing everybody in order to promote an awful game.

Ha. That's the said thing, Eternal Darkness was fucking amazing. I just want to play a good sequel/spiritual successor is all.

Wish Nintendo would just take charge
Why should they at this point? They own the rights to ED and can easily hire out to a more competent studio that doesn't come with a lot of baggage. If they actually did go with Precursor, it's not like they'd really be getting anything of value.

Nairume

Banned
It sort of says something when the moment the company stopped having Nintendo's development supervision and riding on Dyack's alone the whole thing went down the drain.
Also that Dyack is begging them to give him another chance when he's the one that walked to begin with.

Hiltz

It still sadly sounds like a vaporware project. A shame too, since Eternal Darkness went largely underappreciated by GameCube owners.

The did dyack ever get to talk with the canadian prime minister about gamergate like he wanted to

EDIT: On second thought, it probably literally was just something regurgitated from their previous attempt I was reading so I'll drop it. Still bizarre they're trying to resurrect interest so far mostly through just reshowing material from the previous crowd-funding campaign which went so publicly wrong.

Why should they at this point? They own the rights to ED and can easily hire out to a more competent studio that doesn't come with a lot of baggage. If they actually did go with Precursor, it's not like they'd really be getting anything of value.

Hey, you're preaching to the Choir. Whatever needs to be done to make an excellent sequel, I'm on board.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you know [Gaming™]?

Nintendo has made use of the Eternal Darkness name in recent years so it isn't completely dead.

IT'S ALL TRUE! The default name for a heavy metal song in the concert hall mode found in the game Tomodachi LIfe is 'Eternal Darkness' if you play the UK version.

ramparter

Banned
If it's anything like Eternal Darkness he will have at least some of my money. That video was exactly what I liked about eternal darkness.

I mean... who gives a shit about everything else if the game is actually fun.

I'll stop giving a shit about everything else when it actually gets past pre-production and we see gameplay. These are the exact same trailers he used 3 years ago and nothing has changed besides the company logo.

The dude's recent track record for fun games hasn't been good if you weren't paying attention.

I don't know what kind of Virtual Console bullshit Nintendo is going to try and pull with the NX but so help me God there had better be a way to play GameCube games. That Wind Waker was the only re-release/remake/up-port they did from GameCube's library for Wii U, yet they're porting fricking Wii games to the digital service, is maddening. I don't want to have to plug in my GameCube just to play Eternal Darkness again! Remaster! Remaster!

I hope this.. this isn't port begging is it?

I wonder if there'd be any way for Nintendo to make what was planned for ED2 or if Dyak has all the notes and stuff.

Honestly I just really want more Eternal Darkness and if it's a direct sequel or spiritual successor I don't care just give it to meeeeee

Semajer

It would be nice if Nintendo took an interest in this, picked clean everything of value (leaving behind the scum), and restarted development as Eternal Darkness 2 proper.

Then added an Alex or Pious assist trophy to Smash.

Zubz

Banned
My largest concern here is that all of these failed attempts to make Shadow of the Eternals might hurt the chances of Nintendo trying to resurrect the original Eternal Darkness IP. Because there's no way I trust Dyack to get this game made, let alone make it good.

Also, I love (sarcastically) that he's trying to push he's been the victim of unethical journalism, as if he's just trying to bait some Gamer Gate cronies into looking at the project. I was excited for the inevitable Jimquisition until I saw Jim's post in this thread. Still, there's bound to be a lot of entertainment coming from this development. Some awful, cringe-filled entertainment.

Nairume

Banned
It would be nice if Nintendo took an interest in this, picked clean everything of value (leaving behind the scum), and restarted development as Eternal Darkness 2 proper.
At that point, why even bother working with them on it? If they were interested in an ED2, they'd be much better off just going with somebody else entirely, rather than get bits and pieces of a product that can't possibly be *that* far in development, would still require them to build up an actual development team, and comes with an amazing amount of baggage.

-shadow-

I made these:

The Colour Out of Place
Paul Caporicci: Re-Animator
At the Mountains of Bad Press

I have never supported any sordid hashtag campaigns, but I felt Precursor Games did not get a fair shake in 2013.

Watching it right now. Absolutely stellar work so far!

Then added an Alex or Pious assist trophy to Smash.
I'm under the impression there's so little here properly developed in the first place Nintendo would be better off just making ED2 from scratch.

EDIT: Beaten, though I vaguely remember ages back wanting a Pious AT in Smash that would trigger all sorts of crazy insanity effects mid-match.

Semajer

At that point, why even bother working with them on it? If they were interested in an ED2, they'd be much better off just going with somebody else entirely, rather than get bits and pieces of a product that can't possibly be *that* far in development, would still require them to build up an actual development team, and comes with an amazing amount of baggage.

I just thought it would be good to get as much of the original game's dev team on board. That being said I have no idea if any of them are involved with this.

Necron

It's kind of a shame that similar game mechanics (sanity effects) from Eternal Darkness weren't used in other horror games to my knowledge.

Although, you could argue that gaining Insight in Bloodborne drives your character more and more insane (e.g. new enemy moves, seeing Amygdalas) but I haven't seen something quite like it.

It's kind of a shame that similar game mechanics (sanity effects) from Eternal Darkness weren't used in other horror games to my knowledge.

Although, you could argue that gaining Insight in Bloodborne drives your character more and more insane (e.g. new enemy moves, seeing Amygdalas) but I haven't seen something quite like it.

Amnesia definitely did stuff with that kind of thing when you stayed in the dark too long.

Nessus

Sad thing is I loved Eternal Darkness and would love a sequel and I even think the gameplay video for Shadow Of The Eternals looks pretty decent.

But Dyack is such a dick.

The fact that he's using the exact same footage from the Kickstarter campaign with his new company really undermines the claim that he wasn't in charge or involved in managing money at Precursor, which is what people were afraid of.

Yes the Kotaku story hurt him, and it should have. I realize every story has two sides, but he ran Silicon Knights into the ground despite having been given multiple chances with Canadian government funding, etc.

The fact that the reality of GG's 'developers are on our side!' ended up being Mark Kern, Derek Smart, and Dennis Dyack will never not make me laugh.

I really don't know why so many in this thread are against this game possibly coming out. I must be missing something. I'd love to play it. ED was great on GC.

MilkBeard

As long as he can get money and release the game without using crowdfunding, I'd be alright with it. But I don't think gamers should give away their money on his promises alone.

RexNovis

Banned
There is absolutely nothing Dyack could ever do to make me buy another one of his games. Dude is the scum of the earth and deserves to wallow in his infamy for the rest of his days. He and Randy Pitchfork should go make a scumbag club and find solace in each other's company.

I really don't know why so many in this thread are against this game possibly coming out. I must be missing something. I'd love to play it. ED was great on GC.
We're against the man, the trailer continues to look alright and has since it was first revealed in the Kickstarter.

Now if only he had a new trailer.

Top Bottom