• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MAKING OF FINAL FANTASY XV - Hosted by IGN (Part 1 Tomorrow!)

I guess some of the footage shown is from xbone? The environments, scale and lighting are generally very impressive. But the game still looks rough. Rougher in some of this footage than Duscae did on PS4. I hope they optimise and do justice to the base that it is there.

I'm guessing IGN got access to the same portion of the game like GameInformer did. It means only Chapter 1. It's also worth noting that the game is now in beta phase, and the footage they made them probably play was from pre-alpha stage, which is still very rough in term of IQ and perf.

I'm guessing IGN got access to the same portion of the game like GameInformer did. It means only Chapter 1. It's also worth noting that the game is now in beta phase, and the footage they made them probably play was from pre-alpha stage, which is still very rough in term of IQ and perf.
Hence the "Pre-Alpha footage" in the top left corner of a lot of the clips. This is a months old version of the game that we're seeing in the video.

Arkeband

Banned

I can't wait until it's September and all footage is still supposedly pre-alpha footage.

DPtheGod

This looks so good!

I honestly felt a little nervous with Tabata's comment of, "10 years ago I wouldn't even have considered working on Final Fantasy" or whatever it was. I don't know why I felt that way, though. For someone who had no real interest in working on the series, he did a great job with Type-0 (especially for being a PSP game), and did a fantastic job working on Crisis Core with Nomura.

The footage looks worlds better than the Game Informer stuff. However, in one of the talk shows they did for it, they did say they went to the Square offices and captured that footage in February, so it was even older than the Uncovered event. So, I'd expect newer footage to look better.

benzy

giphy.gif

I dont get why the footage looks so washed out. Duscae had blurry IQ, but it didn't look as washed out as this. Platinum seemed to have slight IQ and AA improvements.

raven777

I dont get why the footage looks so washed out. Duscae had blurry IQ, but it didn't look as washed out as this. Platinum seemed to have slight IQ and AA improvements.

all of the pre-alpha footages we saw from GI and IGN looks washed out. Probably cause it's pre-alpha...

Duscae didn't have weather system implemented so it's different I guess..

MilkBeard

Surprisingly, the gameplay footage in this video looked better than some before. I wonder if this was the high spec, or the actual console spec visuals.

benzy

giphy.gif

Duscae looked more washed out in midday lighting compared to here and their recent footage imo.

RdRb.jpg

giphy.gif

Duscae looked more washed out in midday lighting compared to here and their recent footage imo.

RdRb.jpg

Yeah, I prefer the lighting the newer footage, and Duscae did look blurry. Its not a good metric in my opinion though. They need to beat what they did with Duscae, the IQ is probably the worst in any PS4 game I have. Even if the graphics are still good. I just can't kick the feeling that the game looks like an engine dialed down to low settings. I want to see them deliver the kind of visuals they are displaying in the trailers, because what they have shown doesn't seem out of the realm of these consoles, and mostly doesn't look like what the game could look like running on a top spec GPU (that would be the Paris or Nilfheim footage).
I notice it particularly in some of the cutscenes; the one with the purple haired guy for instance. I don't believe that is how it will look in the final game. It looks super rough. I am looking forward to see some meaty polished in game footage at E3. I really hope they deliver. No excuses if they are realising September.

wmlk

They removed the fog effect apparent in Duscae for the alpha and beta builds, so that's why the backgrounds look so flat. The fog masked the LoD for the backgrounds.

I think they'll add it back in some since it looks bad without it.

They removed the fog effect apparent in Duscae for the alpha and beta builds, so that's why the backgrounds look so flat. The fog masked the LoD for the backgrounds.

Yeah, I can see that. That will make a difference.

benzy

Yeah, I prefer the lighting the newer footage, and Duscae did look blurry. Its not a good metric in my opinion though. They need to beat what they did with Duscae, the IQ is probably the worst in any PS4 game I have. Even if the graphics are still good. I just can't kick the feeling that the game looks like an engine dialed down to low settings. I want to see them deliver the kind of visuals they are displaying in the trailers, because what they have shown doesn't seem out of the realm of these consoles, and mostly doesn't look like what the game could look like running on a top spec GPU (that would be the Paris or Nilfheim footage).
I notice it particularly in some of the cutscenes; the one with the purple haired guy for instance. I don't believe that is how it will look in the final game. It looks super rough. I am looking forward to see some meaty polished in game footage at E3. I really hope they deliver. No excuses if they are realising September.

Build footage definitely pretty rough, one NPC got stuck in place on top of a chair or something, and the regalia floats.

CjUSeR5XIAAUy_r.jpg:large

Build footage definitely pretty rough, one NPC got stuck in place on top of a chair or something, and the regalia floats.

CjUSeR5XIAAUy_r.jpg:large

Yeah, I noticed that guy haha. I just hope they can really bring it up to speed, because I think it can look stunning with polish.

Famassu

Jaggies abound and the draw distance is awful. Here's hoping the PS4.5/PC releases are decent.
Uhh..? Draw distance is excellent. You can see as far as the eye can see. No fog blocking the distant hills & valleys.

And yeah, this looks like the same build GI played, so it's still somewhat early.

benzy

I actually find this way improved over Duscae and the backgrounds aren't flat at all to me.

giphy.gif

IQ is pretty is atrocious though and is what needs the most work

MilkBeard

I actually find this way improved over Duscae and the backgrounds aren't flat at all to me.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I think it was this scene and maybe a few others that seemed better than what has been shown before. On the other hand, there is some rough looking stuff in the video pertaining to IQ.

I really do hope they can optimize the shit out of this engine.

wmlk

giphy.gif

Lucis looks excellent, but the Duscae region has some bad looking parts.

Like the right side of the video here, showing the mountains. Or this shot showing the same thing.

Famassu

All that missing foliage isn't.
I don't see anything too problematic about foliage in this gif:

giphy.gif

Bushes are visible far away (and trees in other clips of the game) and I don't see any grass being drawn in 3 meters ahead of Noctis either or anything.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's pre alpha people.

Wait until E3 where I anticipate they will show a very polished slice of the game running on consoles.

artsi

I'll refuse to look for any graphical defects in this early footage, and I think it looks good anyway.

Watching the video I feel the team must be super pumped getting the game finally out soon.

Top Bottom