• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island II - New Boxart, new infos, screens and artworks

First, the informations:

GoNintendo said:
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island for the SNES was revered as one of the greatest side-scrolling platformers ever made. The lighthearted art style and compelling game play defined a genre. Now, return to the colorful wilds of Yoshi’s Island in a new platforming adventure for the Nintendo DS. Kamek has captured Baby Luigi, and now Yoshi and his band of babies must rescue him.

* This time, Baby Mario, Baby DK, Baby Wario and Baby Peach are along for the ride. Each one gives Yoshi access to unique powers: While they cling to his back, Baby Mario gives Yoshi speed, Baby DK gives him strength, Baby Peach gives him the ability to fly and Baby Wario gives him magnetism.

* All of Yoshi’s classic abilities are on full display. Players gobble enemies and either spit them out immediately, or turn them into eggs that they can throw at items and enemies. Pound the ground to flatten whatever’s underneath, and flutter jump to traverse precarious heights. In certain areas, Yoshi can even morph into special vehicles.

* Thanks to the power of the Nintendo DS, all of the lush vistas and perilous paths of Yoshi’s Island span two screens. Players hit objects on the top screen while using the touch screen, and tackle super-tall enemies that fill both screens.

* Hidden in every level are flowers, stars, red coins and character coins, so even after players finish the game, the challenge continues.

Game storyline:
A mysterious floating castle has suddenly appeared over peaceful Yoshi’s Island. Soon after its arrival, kids begin to disappear. Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Wario and Baby DK manage to avoid being kidnapped, but Baby Luigi isn’t so lucky. Now Yoshi and the four young superstars and must set out on a wild and colorful quest to rescue the kids and investigate the ominous castle hovering overhead.

Characters: Yoshi, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby DK, Baby Wario, Baby Luigi, Bowser, Kamek.

How to progress through the game: Players run, glide, climb and fight your way through five levels as Yoshi, gobbling up enemies as they go. As they play through different levels, different babies will join the party. Depending on the baby on his back, Yoshi can adopt different abilities. The main game play comes from using different babies’ abilities to defeat foes and advance past obstacles. Each level is also stuffed with hidden items like stars, red coins and character coins, which give players bonuses when they collect them.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Yoshi returns with all the abilities we know and love: He can swallow enemies, turn them into eggs, throw eggs and flutter jump. However, depending on the baby he’s carrying, he also adopts new abilities. Baby Mario gives Yoshi the power of speed, while Baby DK gives him strength and the ability to climb vines. Baby Peach lets Yoshi float, and Baby Wario’s giant magnet grabs metal items like coins.

Artwork & Screens:

i_10376.jpg

i_10377.jpg

yi2at.JPG

Old Boxart:

933006_75564_front.jpg

New Boxart & NEW NAME !!!

yi2dsba.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, a lot of stuff.

Kangu

Banned
This game somehow seems really uninspired compared to the original. YI was so packed with variety in every level and this just looks so...meh.

Kangu said:
This game somehow seems really uninspired compared to the original. YI was so packed with variety in every level and this just looks so...meh.

Yeah, but to me, more of the same in this case is just fine.

Maridia

Kangu said:

The original was published by Nintendo as well. It's cool to hate it too.

jarrod

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I hope. It is developed by Artoon.
Even so, I'm cautiously optimistic for both this and Blue Dragon. On paper at least, games coming from some of the core creators of Sonic, Ristar, NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon should be pretty good, especially when they're paired with the creative talent behind Final Fantasy and Super Mario.

Kangu

Banned
Maridia said:
The original was published by Nintendo as well. It's cool to hate it too.

Why would I hate one of the best games on the SNES? Oh, I get it, you're a console fanboy who can't get over his preconcieved notions of people on the INTRANET.

jarrod said:
Even so, I'm cautiously optimistic for both this and Blue Dragon. On paper at least, games coming from some of the core creators of Sonic, Ristar, NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon should be pretty good, especially when they're paired with the creative talent behind Final Fantasy and Super Mario.

Yeah. And E3's Impressions were good too.

Two things:

1) The Nintendo Wi-Fi logo is missing on the new box.

2) The text mentions a grand total of five levels.

Should we be worrying now?

splatty

AniHawk

splattergnome said:
Two things:

1) The Nintendo Wi-Fi logo is missing on the new box.

2) The text mentions a grand total of five levels.

Should we be worrying now?

splatty

YI for the SNES had six worlds, didn't it? And each had 8 levels.

It's probably like that.

I hope.

How many levels did Yoshi's Island have? 6? I also think it depends on how many stages are in each level and how good they are. :)

edit: corrected by Ani

How to progress through the game: Players run, glide, climb and fight your way through five levels as Yoshi, gobbling up enemies as they go. As they play through different levels, different babies will join the party. Depending on the baby on his back, Yoshi can adopt different abilities. The main game play comes from using different babies’ abilities to defeat foes and advance past obstacles. Each level is also stuffed with hidden items like stars, red coins and character coins, which give players bonuses when they collect them.

I hope they mean 5 worlds. Because if you have to keep replaying the same 5 levels with a different baby strapped to your back that would suck. That would suck real hard.

Ranger X

Players hit objects on the top screen while using the touch screen, and tackle super-tall enemies that fill both screens.

What is that supposed to mean????
Don't tell me there's ****ing touchscreen controls in that game. I'd become a murderer that's for sure.

AniHawk

I don't think many people remember, but Yoshi's Island had some REALLY long levels too. It's not like it'll be a Super Mario Brothers affair.

KINGMOKU

Kangu said:
Why would I hate one of the best games on the SNES? Oh, I get it, you're a console fanboy who can't get over his preconcieved notions of people on the INTRANET.
Call me bold, but I think he's commenting on the perception that you have some sort of negative comment in every Nintendo thread.

Just a guess.

I am looking forward to the game (still), but I am still worried that the multiple-baby mechanic will either a) be overused and annoying, or b) criminally underused and gimmicky... or most likely, for some strange reason both at the same time.

AniHawk said:
I don't think many people remember, but Yoshi's Island had some REALLY long levels too. It's not like it'll be a Super Mario Brothers affair.

Yes, but five levels, no matter how long, would be rather short. I hope that everybody is right with the suspicion that they meant five -worlds-, not five -stages-.

splatty

AniHawk said:
You remind me of a certain scrolling cave level....

;-;

Maridia

Kangu said:

Preconceived? : /

How does it look uninspired? A little reasoning behind the comment would be nice. Is it the lack of the hand-drawn look? The multiple babies mechanic?

And c'mon, the shyguy shot looks amazing. If that background is animated, that is the antithesis of uninspired.

That looks .... niiiiiiice! And I presume it'll be like NSMB: on still screens rather 'bland' but in motion so full and rich of colour and movement! :)

Gigglepoo

jamesinclair said:
Theres a round blue logo missing from the new box

I have no idea how Wi-Fi could make this game better. It's either a solid platformer or it's not. The E3 demo was fun. I have hope.

Kuran

Banned
Did they edit and redraw the first box-art because the mountains in the background looked too much like penii?

Does Nintendo read GAF?

Kangu

Banned
Maridia said:
Preconceived? : /

How does it look uninspired? A little reasoning behind the comment would be nice. Is it the lack of the hand-drawn look? The multiple babies mechanic?

And c'mon, the shyguy shot looks amazing. If that background is animated, that is the antithesis of uninspired.

Every single level in the original YI was positively brilliant in it's design and every single level had outstanding unique characteristics that made it memorable. Levels like Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy, the level where you had to ride on the birds, ths skiing level, the poochie levels, the raphael raven level, the rock heads level, the sumo shy guys, and so on and so forth. The variety wasn't just unmatched, it was very very high quality, polished beyond belief.

All of the shots and videos I've seen of YI seem to lack the creativity that was present in the original. A Gaint Shy guy? A windy level? Don't let all that Artoon creativity overwhelm you. Not only that, I've never played a game where this character switching mechanic didn't ruin the flow, lead to lame contrived puzzles and wasn't plain annoying. DK 64 anyone?

Hell, they even managed to make the art style look dull.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
They did something to the art style... I don't know what, but it's off. and the character switching might kill the fun, if it's manual and "real-time"(or mid-levels, whatever).

also, how does the touch work? do they use it? plz xpln.

Maridia

Kangu said:
Every single level in the original YI was positively brilliant in it's design and every single level had outstanding unique characteristics that made it memorable. Levels like Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy, the level where you had to ride on the birds, ths skiing level, the poochie levels, the raphael raven level, the rock heads level, the sumo shy guys, and so on and so forth. The variety wasn't just unmatched, it was very very high quality, polished beyond belief.

I need to play that again. Hopefully the ol' cart will still save.

All of the shots and videos I've seen of YI seem to lack the creativity that was present in the original. A Gaint Shy guy?

A cross between a shyguy, a gorilla, and a taint?! Sounds creative to me. Seriously though, how many of the original bosses were just giant enemies?

A windy level? Don't let all that Artoon creativity overwhelm you. Not only that, I've never played a game where this character switching mechanic didn't ruin the flow, lead to lame contrived puzzles and wasn't plain annoying.

Chrono Trigger? Jet Force Gemini? Castlevania 3?

DK 64 anyone?

Uhhhh...no thanks?

*shrugs*

Gigglepoo

Kangu said:
Not only that, I've never played a game where this character switching mechanic didn't ruin the flow, lead to lame contrived puzzles and wasn't plain annoying.

I'm not going to stick up for YIDS until I play the final version, but I do want to throw Lost Vikings out there. Dawn of Sorrow worked really well too, as did DKC 1-3.

Kangu

Banned
Maridia said:
I need to play that again. Hopefully the ol' cart will still save.
If you have the cart you can own a rom ;)

A cross between a shyguy, a gorilla, and a taint?! Sounds creative to me. Seriously though, how many of the original bosses were just giant enemies?

The original already had shy guys on stilts, in a level aptly titled: "Shy Guys on stilts."

And I think Rafael Raven was the only giant enemy boss.

Chrono Trigger? Jet Force Gemini? Castlevania 3?

CT is and RPG for christ's sake. I've never played the other 2, though I've heard bad things.

Uhhhh...no thanks?
I don't blame you.

You definitely need to dust off the old cart and rediscover how mindblowingly awesome the original was. And it wasn't because of the play mechanics, it was purely because of the level design. Artoon may be able to copy the play mechanics, after all they're already there, but I'll eat a polar bear if they can even begin to match the level design.

EDIT:
I'm not going to stick up for YIDS until I play the final version, but I do want to throw Lost Vikings out there. Dawn of Sorrow worked really well too, as did DKC 1-3.

I haven't played the first two (just got done with aria in fact), but I disagree about DKC. The only reason those weren't ruined was because there was never any need to switch. In every instance one of the characters was clearly superior to the other, so in essence having two players only amounted to something of a 'free hit'.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Baby Luigi is so going to be an unlockable character or something. Hell, he was in NSMB!

Vexidus

Kangu said:

All of the shots and videos I've seen of YI seem to lack the creativity that was present in the original. A Gaint Shy guy? A windy level? Don't let all that Artoon creativity overwhelm you. Not only that, I've never played a game where this character switching mechanic didn't ruin the flow, lead to lame contrived puzzles and wasn't plain annoying. DK 64 anyone?

Yeah I agree with everything here, Yoshi's Island for the SNES/GBA is one of my all-time favourite games. I'm not impressed with these YI2 screenshots, the original game was so vibrant and lively. YI2 looks kinda stale, but maybe that'll be different during actual play. This is still one of my most anticipated games though, day one purchase, but it can't possibly be as good as YI

Doesn't look as inspired as Yoshi's Island(my favorite platformer of all time) so far but it looks to be far closer than Yoshi's Story was and this all adds up to a game that looks at least to be quite enjoyable.

The art style isn't as beautiful as Yoshi's Island but it's close and faithful.

I normally cringe at other developers creating follow ups to such prestigious titles but from what I have seen, this game certainly looks to be on a decent track.

It will all come down to level design(like it always seems to) as the game looks rather nice and I am sure it plays well.

Kangu

Banned
Just so people can get off it already, I got confused with CV2, which I also have not played.

JFG I have heard a lot of shit about.

EDIT:
jarrod said:
Kangu shamed

jarrod
Aspiring to greatness

Not by a long shot.

there's no reason to really hate the name change. its not horribly bad or great. At least they didnt change it to NEW YOSHI'S ISLAND

Top Bottom