• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island II - New Boxart, new infos, screens and artworks

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, actually, not so much unlockable as always available with a button code, IIRC. Wasn't too much of a big deal.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nice nice, looking forward to this game. :)
BTW, thanks for using spoiler-tags for the intro part of the plot. I would've gone totally ****ing berserk if someone spoiled the story premise for Yoshi's Island DS for me! :mad:

This doesn't look cool. I don't like switch characters to reach new areas. That is the lamest and oldest trick in the book to 'upgrade' a sequel. This game is clearly made for kids, and I doubt will be that good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lavpa Jasai said:
Uhh your mistake or mine?

he meant Luigi in general was unlockable.

underfooter said:
This doesn't look cool. I don't like switch characters to reach new areas. That is the lamest and oldest trick in the book to 'upgrade' a sequel. This game is clearly made for kids, and I doubt will be that good.

yeah man, CLEARLY made for the kids. it's a good thing you can tell just by looking at it.

because if you look at the original Yoshi's Island, you would think it was made for adults, rite?

Filter

I prefer the old boxart
pedos_island.jpg

omg rite said:
yeah man, CLEARLY made for the kids. it's a good thing you can tell just by looking at it.

because if you look at the original Yoshi's Island, you would think it was made for adults, rite?

The original Yoshi's Island was one of the best games I ever played. I'd say its almost as good as Super Mario World. I just don't like where it's going, and where the other one had some great art style that was colourful, this one just seems to bright, baby-coloured, with some simple character upgrades. Not to mention made by a crappy developer.

I agree with everything Kangu has said. And while E3 impressions were good, Artoon's track record should strip the faith out of anyone. I'm afraid Nintendo's pedigree won't cut it, and Artoon's crapiness will prevail. Case in point, Yoshi Topsy Turvy for GBA.

Joe Molotov

UncleScr00ge said:

It's still being supervised by Takashi Tezuka and Nintendo, though. Nintendo will make them make it good. Yamauchi will bust up in there with his corporate ninjas and kill them all in the face if there's even a hint of badness detected.

unifin

Looks awesome, but the art-style is somewhat changed... the original YI looks a bit softer and more organic... less straight lines, if that makes sense.

Varjet

unifin said:
Looks awesome, but the art-style is somewhat changed... the original YI looks a bit softer and more organic... less straight lines, if that makes sense.
Yeah, it doesn't look so much like YI, more like... Yoshi's Touch'n'Go :\

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I truly feel sorry for Artoon.

They are basically attempting to make a sequel to one of the best platformers that Nintendo has ever released, and I don't think they will be able to do it.

"Here, son. This is the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption. I want you to write a sequel."

"But....but....!!"

TreIII

mr jones said:

They are basically attempting to make a sequel to one of the best platformers that Nintendo has ever released, and I don't think they will be able to do it.

"Here, son. This is the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption. I want you to write a sequel."

"But....but....!!"

I prefer to be much more optomistic. It may be much more awesome than the first game, it may end up being a mere notch lower, or it may just end up being more of the same. If any of those turn out to be true, I'll be basically pleased.

What I think will be the main "problem" is more or less the same thing that ended up plaguing NSMB. People got their hopes up so much, as well as being blinded by their own rose-tinted pair of glasses, that by the time they got the game in their hands, they some how felt "gypped" for some reason or the other. NSMB is still an awesome game, nonetheless, if only for the sake that it at least does "more of the same", which is what those of us who clamored for a new 2D Mario asked for in the first place. If Yoshi's Island 2/DS can at least do that, we'll be just fine...screw the eventual haters who will pick at any and all details that some how "offend" their gameplay aesthetic senses...:lol

ziran

mr jones said:

"But....but....!!"
i agree.

in fact i'd go further by saying yoshi's island is arguably the greatest videogame ever made and having artoon develop the sequel is like letting uwe boll make a follow up to rashomon!

i want yoshi's island ds to be amazing but in my heart of hearts i can't see how it can be :(

One - To the guy who calls this kiddy, am I to understand that visuals that look crayon-drawn are adult?

Two - A giant Shy Guy on stilts? Wow, how unoriginal of Artoon, making a boss that's just a giant version of an enemy. Nintendo didn't do that, no sir!

With the exception of every single boss in the game.

Kangu

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Two - A giant Shy Guy on stilts? Wow, how unoriginal of Artoon, making a boss that's just a giant version of an enemy. Nintendo didn't do that, no sir!

With the exception of every single boss in the game.

We all know Artoon are the kings of originality. Who else can come up with a time traveling hoover toting cat?

I really don't get people's optimisim over this game. Is it just blind devotion to a brand name? If I found out Artoon was developing the next instalment in any series I was interested in you can be damned sure I'd completely disavow it's existance.

Kangu said:
We all know Artoon are the kings of originality. Who else can come up with a time traveling hoover toting cat?

I really don't get people's optimisim over this game. Is it just blind devotion to a brand name? If I found out Artoon was developing the next instalment in any series I was interested in you can be damned sure I'd completely disavow it's existance.

No, it is that E3's Hands On were very good. So, perhaps Artoon can fail on lifespan and/or originality, but not gameplay.

Kangu

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
No, it is that E3's Hands On were very good. So, perhaps Artoon can fail on lifespan and/or originality, but not gameplay.

Maybe I missed it, but show me an awesome video from this game that can get me excited. I'm not being facetious, I genuinely want to know what people have seen that makes them so optimistic.

Kangu said:
Maybe I missed it, but show me an awesome video from this game that can get me excited. I'm not being facetious, I genuinely want to know what people have seen that makes them so optimistic.

This is a gameplay's trailer I found. But there are some interesting Impressions on IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy and more.

Click Right to Save - MP4 File

EDIT: Sorry, it was the same trailer.

Kangu

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is a gameplay's trailer I found. But there are some interesting Impressions on IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy and more.

Click Right to Save - MP4 File

EDIT: Sorry, it was the same trailer.

Well I appreciate the effort, but that video just served to further convince me that at best this game has a chance to be average. Particularly compared to the original. And after all, aren't the original's credentials the only reason anyone is excited for this?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kangu said:
Well I appreciate the effort, but that video just served to further convince me that at best this game has a chance to be average. Particularly compared to the original. And after all, aren't the original's credentials the only reason anyone is excited for this?

you are ABSOLUTELY trying to find reason to discredit the game.

that further convinces you that it will be average at BEST?

that video looks IDENTICAL to the original in gameplay. that's what people want.

plus, they're adding the multi-baby thing, which will hopefully add a lot.

Kangu

Banned
omg rite said:
you are ABSOLUTELY trying to find reason to discredit the game.

that further convinces you that it will be average at BEST?

that video looks IDENTICAL to the original in gameplay. that's what people want.

plus, they're adding the multi-baby thing, which will hopefully add a lot.

What's to discredit? It's being made by Artoon, that discredits it all on it's own. I'm more suprised that people are giving it credit.

BTW I'm playing through the original again right now just to make sure I wasn't letting nostalgia cloud my view and nope, this is definitely one of the greatest 2d games ever made and there is no ****ing way in hell Artoon is even going to come close. Especially not judging from what has been shown and doubly not with a lame as hell gas station sign baby switching mechanic.

Lee N

Membre
It looks pretty lackluster compared to the original. It tries to copy the style but there's all the difference.

Also, I have both jack and shit confidence in Artoon, a company that to my knowledge never has done a good game. And to top it off, they have ruined a yoshi game before.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why must Nintendo farm out my dreams? :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kangu said:
What's to discredit? It's being made by Artoon, that discredits it all on it's own. I'm more suprised that people are giving it credit.

because that's a ****ing stupid way to think. Artoon doesn't even have that big of a catalog to fairly judge. they had the mediocre Blinx games and that GBA Yoshi game, but that's about it of note.

to say they can't completely copy the style of the original game and make a good game is flat out stupid. people shouldn't not give it credit because Artoon is making it.

that logic works the same way. Capcom has done nothing but put out gems this generation. doesn't mean that Final Fight: Streetwise was going to be good.

just because Artoon has a mediocre (but SMALL) catalog of games up to this point in NO way means they can't make a sequel to a game that already has its gameplay designed for them.

hahahax

Banned
Good about the name change. The previous name hinted at this game being part of the Mario storyline. Now everyone must realize that this game is a 'dream match' as you would say when it comes to fighting games that bears no impact on the overall storyline (kof98).

It's a cash-in using familiar settings. It's not a 'sequel' to Yoshi's Island which was a prequel to Mario Bros and Donkey Kong (whichever took place first). I mailed Nintendo about this a few months back, and it seems they listened to my plea and changed the name.

I mean really, Mario and friends as babies at the same time? Baby Princess Toadstool on Yoshi Island? When it is specifically stated that Mario and Luigi's first encounter with Princess Toadstool occured in SMB1.
Though, I don't believe for a second that the creators of this game have thought about any of this at all. Not even the suits at Nintendo have concerned themselves. To them Mario & friends have become dumb mascots readily available to be put in a variety of absurd situations totally disregarding the wishes of true fans. Gone are the days of the 80s and early 90s during which Mario came with a consistent storyline and a coherent universe.

Lee N

Membre
omg rite said:
they had the mediocre Blinx games and that GBA Yoshi game
Artoon has done alot more games than that, the reason you havn't heard about them is that they're not particularly good.

Kangu

Banned
omg rite said:
to say they can't completely copy the style of the original game and make a good game is flat out stupid. people shouldn't not give it credit because Artoon is making it.

like I already mentioned, the original YI is great because of the LEVEL DESIGN, not because of the mechanics. The fact that Artoon already has the mechanics laid out means jack shit.

And it's one thing to copy the style of say, Crash Bandicoot, and make a good game in that context and it's quite another to copy the style of one of the best 2-d plataformers ever and make a good game in that context.

TheTrin is right on the money: Nintendo is farming out our dreams. To take one of it's most beloved and aclaimed franchises and farm it out to ****ing Artoon can't be seen as anything other than completely arrogant and insulting to the fanbase.

It's insulting to me if nothing else. Maybe they should farm out the next Zelda to TOSE.

Rlan

hahahax said:
Good about the name change. The previous name hinted at this game being part of the Mario storyline. Now everyone must realize that this game is a 'dream match' as you would say when it comes to fighting games that bears no impact on the overall storyline (kof98).

It's a cash-in using familiar settings. It's not a 'sequel' to Yoshi's Island which was a prequel to Mario Bros and Donkey Kong (whichever took place first). I mailed Nintendo about this a few months back, and it seems they listened to my plea and changed the name.

I mean really, Mario and friends as babies at the same time? Baby Princess Toadstool on Yoshi Island? When it is specifically stated that Mario and Luigi's first encounter with Princess Toadstool occured in SMB1.

M&L:pIT? Super Mario Land 2 backstory for Wario?

ZeoVGM

Banned
hahahax said:

This is a joke post right?

You don't ACTUALLY think Nintendo listened to you, do you?

.. Actually, please tell me you didn't send Nintendo an e-mail saying "IT SHOULD BE CALLED YOSHI'S ISLAND DS NOT YOSHI'S ISLAND 2."

This is a sequel.[/quote]

like I already mentioned, the original YI is great because of the LEVEL DESIGN, not because of the mechanics. The fact that Artoon already has the mechanics laid out means jack shit.

True, but there's nothing to suggest the level design won't be good. In the slightest. If you watched a movie put together of 4 second clips from different stages from the first YI, it'd look just like the movie linked above.

And it's one thing to copy the style of say, Crash Bandicoot, and make a good game in that context and it's quite another to copy the style of one of the best 2-d plataformers ever and make a good game in that context.

Well, the problem there is that someone DID copy the style of Crash (the first PS2 game) and it sucked.

Yeah, it takes more than copying the style. But they got the style down, which is part of it. Level design is the next part and nothing points towards it being bad (or even great) right now. We haven't even seen enough to make a fair judgement.

Kangu said:
TheTrin is right on the money: Nintendo is farming out our dreams. To take one of it's most beloved and aclaimed franchises and farm it out to ****ing Artoon can't be seen as anything other than completely arrogant and insulting to the fanbase.

You can hardly blame them though - topping the original YI would be a monumental task even for the original team, and it's readily apparant that Nintendo themselves have increasingly avoided directly taking on sequels.

You shouldn't be so angry about it all though.
Even if it completely sucks ass, the original will still be one of if not the best games ever.

Kangu

Banned
the androgyne said:
You shouldn't be so angry about it all though.
Even if it completely sucks ass, the original will still be one of if not the best games ever.

Well lets say you've been waiting for a sequel for this game for a long time and suddenly a decade after the fact the sequel is announced. You'd probably get pretty damned excited until you find out it's a farmed out, half-assed, side project designed as a cash in. I think it tarnishes the brand and, like I mentioned, looks to take advantage of fans.

I mean, imagine if you'd been waiting for a sequel to the awesome Metroid for a decade and it finaly gets announced and... it turns out it's a goddamned fps?

oops, bad example.

True, but there's nothing to suggest the level design won't be good. In the slightest. If you watched a movie put together of 4 second clips from different stages from the first YI, it'd look just like the movie linked above.

The movies of two full levels that I've seen give me that impression. Not some 30 second clip.

Here's a list of the variety present in the SECOND level of YI (it crushes anything seen in YI2's levels or trailers):
-Giant bullets bombarding
-Introduction of destructible soil
-Hidden paths in the ground/walls that appear on contact
-Yoshi turns into a mother****ing YOSHICOPPTER!

That's ONE level. Artoon doesn't stand a chance. Maybe one of Capcom's teams would. Maybe Treasure would. Maybe one of Nintendo's teams would. ****ing Artoon? GTFO.

For comparison here's the new stuff featured in world 1-2 (second level) of Artoons Island:
-Extensible penis things
-Painfully obvious puzzle where you have to swap in Baby Peach at the bus stop so that you can fly in a column of air and grab a flower.

BrandNew said:
I thought we've been through this before.

Sorry, first day on GAF so I must have missed it.

Let me guess though - Super Metroid and Halo fanboys called it a FPS, whilst Prime diehards swore the game contained no shooting?

Kangu said:
Well lets say you've been waiting for a sequel for this game for a long time and suddenly a decade after the fact the sequel is announced. You'd probably get pretty damned excited until you find out it's a farmed out, half-assed, side project designed as a cash in. I think it tarnishes the brand and, like I mentioned, looks to take advantage of fans.

Hey man, i have been waiting that long! I do see your point. But part of me thinks that Yoshi's Island is so perfect - it just can't be touched - hence why it was farmed out.

If EAD were to take on this project, doing a rehash with new babies, new levels wouldn't suffice at all. They'd probably mix things up just like they did with the original (over and above the call of duty for a 'mario sequel'). And that would just take too long, and isn't worth it or where their interest is these days.

I just think it's pretty obvious what this is; a level pack and minor gameplay additions.
There's not much point getting pissed about it because, apart from the fact that it's being 'labelled' as a sequel to one of the best games ever, your expectations shouldn't be so high in the first place.

Cross your fingers, it MIGHT not be too much to ask of Artoon, to just add a few things here and there without breaking it!

Nintendo are still guiding Artoon along with this game. I'm confident it will be a solid title. Who knows, it could be absolutely awesome.

Top Bottom