• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island II - New Boxart, new infos, screens and artworks

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
People are forgetting this is, for the most part, not an original Artoon concept, which are what have made their games really fall flat in the past. Artoon has some on the people from Sonic Team, the reason I only have an inch of faith is because I realized that they actually could make some decent levels with Nintendo, it really has nothing to do with brand loyalty in this case.

Scalemail Ted said:
Just wished it was fleshed into a real game. I felt like I purchased a tech demo consisting of two levels.

I got the same feeling. It was a nice game, but there wasn't enough to it.

jarrod

Banned
It may only turn out "decent" or whatever, but I bet this game turns out to be far superior followup versus Yoshi Story.

ZeoVGM

Banned
brandonh83 said:
It was only two levels? :lol

It was designed to be more of a classic arcade game with a couple levels, with the only goal of getting a high score.

cool idea, but should have been $20.

just bought it for $13 and it's really fun

sasimirobot

Yoshi's Island was excellent.

Touch and Go was actually pretty good also.

If they can fall somewhere inbetween those 2 titles it should be an above average game.

omg rite said:
It was designed to be more of a classic arcade game with a couple levels, with the only goal of getting a high score.

cool idea, but should have been $20.

just bought it for $13 and it's really fun

Yeah, I'd buy it for that.

I never got into Touch 'n Go much, but my wife absolutely loves it; probably her most played game - so there's a chance it's worth full price for someone else, cause she's got way more than that out of it.
Even tho it's only got a few modes, it is somewhat different on each play through.
It definitely has that 'one more go' for high scores thing down nicely.

Touch 'n Go needed like mulitplayer support or something.

Or if they wanted to go the arcade route, make it a longer stage before you hit the end such as with Ballon fight. (and vary the levels a bit as difficulty/points progress)

I think that was my biggest complaint, there were only two short levels and you could play them in two modes (from what I recall) a 'time attack' and a 'get high score' mode.

Its been awhile to be honest since I played it.

There's a simple multiplayer mode with single cart... and i'm sure there's more than 2 modes... One of the other ones she played has spikes(insta-kill) that alternate in color and you get combos for shooting eggs through similar color spikes. I'm too stuck in my button pressing ways to be competitive, but she moves like lightning through that mode!

the androgyne said:
There's a simple multiplayer mode with single cart... and i'm sure there's more than 2 modes... One of the other ones she played has spikes(insta-kill) that alternate in color and you get combos for shooting eggs through similar color spikes. I'm too stuck in my button pressing ways to be competitive, but she moves like lightning through that mode!

Did this stuff have to get unlocked?

ethelred

The new name seriously does suck. They should've stuck with Yoshi's Island 2.

Aside from that, the game still looks great and I'm still looking forward to playing it.

ethelred said:
The new name seriously does suck. They should've stuck with Yoshi's Island 2.
Yeah, tacking on DS tends to make a game sound like a port (Super Mario 64 DS) unless they actually make it stand for something (Advance Wars Dual Strike).

A quick search revealed the spikes level is the 'challenge' mode ... Last for longer than 3000 meters in Endless mode to unlock. The multi cart thing doesn't need to be unlocked afaik

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
hahahax said:
Gone are the days of the 80s and early 90s during which Mario came with a consistent storyline and a coherent universe.

Look, I may be one of the most rabid Mario fans on this side of the planet, but I find it hard to believe that ANYONE plays Mario games for a storyline or "coherent universe".

Mario games are games. I've never understood your desire to return to a non-existant day when they had "a consistent storyline".

kevm3

Yoshi's Island was my favorite platformer. Nintendo shouldn't have released a sequel if they weren't willing to do it themselves imo... I really don't understand why Nintendo keeps doing this. Starfox 64 was my favorite shooter, and then Nintendo goes on to outsource it. I highly doubt Artoon will match the magic of the original. I'm not fond of the 'new' art style, and I definitely not fond of the character switching thing. It may turn out pretty good, but Nintendo should have done this themselves.

Count me among the "non-believers"... For no particular reason other than the fact that the game is made by Artoon, I still can't believe that this game will be any good. Isn't that ridiculous ? The anti-hype got me :( .

ethelred

Stormbringer said:
Count me among the "non-believers"... For no particular reason other than the fact that the game is made by Artoon, I still can't believe that this game will be any good. Isn't that ridiculous ? The anti-hype got me :( .

That is pretty bad, yes.

I'm hyped for both Blue Dragon and Yoshi's Island 2.

I think that basically, I just don't want to set myself up or disappointment, that's mainly why I refuse to be hyped for this game . It very probably won't be as good as Yoshi's Island, but eh...Hopefully it will be a good game, or even a very good game. But until the first reviews kick in, I don't think I will be able to believe in this game. And it's even worsened by the fact that the developer of this game don't really have the best track record either... So no, until then, I will just put the game on the "potential and relative failure" side. We will see how it turns out.

I like how Kangu avoided discussing how he praised Nintendo for making bosses which were big versions of regular enemies and then bashed Artoon for making bosses which were big versions of regular enemies.

billysea

Banned
While I want to play this game, I think Nintendo should save this game for next year as we just had New Super Mario Bros. not too long ago.

Varjet

billysea said:
While I want to play this game, I think Nintendo should save this game for next year as we just had New Super Mario Bros. not too long ago.
No need for that, they already moved PH.
I want YIDS this year.

ziran

jarrod said:
It may only turn out "decent" or whatever, but I bet this game turns out to be far superior followup versus Yoshi Story.
the reason i'm not sure about this is, while i agree yoshi's story was a bad game, artoon's yoshi topsy turvey was just as bad and in many ways worse! so i can't see how they can magically deliver even a competent game :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I never played yoshis island 1, so I'm basically going to judge yoshis island on this one. hope you do a good job artoon!

Cheebs

DavidDayton said:
Look, I may be one of the most rabid Mario fans on this side of the planet, but I find it hard to believe that ANYONE plays Mario games for a storyline or "coherent universe".

Mario games are games. I've never understood your desire to return to a non-existant day when they had "a consistent storyline".
Ignore his weird rants. The only reason Mario games had a "consistent" storyline back then was there wasn't nearly as many games in the franchise as there is now.

Cheebs said:
Ignore his weird rants. The only reason Mario games had a "consistent" storyline back then was there wasn't nearly as many games in the franchise as there is now.
Yeah. Even back then, though, things would have to be a bit goofy for you to imagine a really consistent story. So going by the early SMB games Mario was just a guy from the Mushroom Kingdom... so was he previously a Mushroom Kingdom construction worker with the kingdom's only intelligent gorilla as his pet/slave? Who then went on to work in Mushroom Kingdom sewers?

jarrod

Banned
ziran said:
the reason i'm not sure about this is, while i agree yoshi's story was a bad game, artoon's yoshi topsy turvey was just as bad and in many ways worse! so i can't see how they can magically deliver even a competent game :(
Well, for one thing Topsy-Turvy actually started out as a Yoshi Story port, then sequel... then the tilt tech was added to differentiate it versus Touch & Go (similar to the concurrent Wario Wares on GBA & DS). Artoon's specially looking at Island this time around though, if only due to source material, I expect the game to be a bit better probably.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
jarrod said:
Well, for one thing Topsy-Turvy actually started out as a Yoshi Story port, then sequel... then the tilt tech was added to differentiate it versus Touch & Go (similar to the concurrent Wario Wares on GBA & DS). Artoon's specially looking at Island this time around though, if only due to source material, I expect the game to be a bit better probably.
I don't want to doubt it, but do you have a source for this? I didn't kno about this...

i just bought yoshi's island gba at walmart for $15, and its the second time i've ever played it (i rented it once when it first came out, and was like "wtf, this crying mario sucks" and stopped playing it), but jesus christ it's one of the best games ever. and probably one of the hardest nintendo made games i have ever played. which is good.

Jiggy

catfish said:
I never played yoshis island 1, so I'm basically going to judge yoshis island on this one. hope you do a good job artoon!
YI1 is $20 new at absolute worst, and if you can play YIDS (...should have been YI2) you can play YI1. Go buy it right now, it's the proven entity. :p

talking head said:
i just bought yoshi's island gba at walmart for $15, and its the second time i've ever played it (i rented it once when it first came out, and was like "wtf, this crying mario sucks" and stopped playing it), but jesus christ it's one of the best games ever. and probably one of the hardest nintendo made games i have ever played. which is good.

Oh yeah.

What I truly love most about it is that everything is so varied. No two levels feel the same - there's always new environments, new enemies, new form of gameplay, new everything. Always keep you on your toes.

talking head said:
Hardest? ehhhhh

Actually YI did have some hard puzzles, and sometimes the enemies got really frustrating.

But yeah, there's a lot of other Nintendo games that are harder IMO.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yoshi's Island was pretty good, but reading this thread.... HOLY SHIT you guys overrate it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BocoDragon said:
Yoshi's Island was pretty good, but reading this thread.... HOLY SHIT you guys overrate it.

Personally I like SM3 and SMW far, far more.

Jake

underfooter said:
This game is clearly made for kids, and I doubt will be that good.

underfooter said:
The original Yoshi's Island was one of the best games I ever played. I'd say its almost as good as Super Mario World.

How old were you when you first played Yoshi's Island?

BocoDragon

Jake said:
How old were you when you first played Yoshi's Island?

Actually, everyone in this thread needs to answer this question, before they start gushing their brains out over how OMG AMAZING it was.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BocoDragon said:
Actually, everyone in this thread needs to answer this question, before they start gushing their brains out over how OMG AMAZING it was.

YI fans don't kill me, but I just played the game for the first time last year. :/

cicero

hahahax said:
Good about the name change. The previous name hinted at this game being part of the Mario storyline. Now everyone must realize that this game is a 'dream match' as you would say when it comes to fighting games that bears no impact on the overall storyline (kof98).

It's a cash-in using familiar settings. It's not a 'sequel' to Yoshi's Island which was a prequel to Mario Bros and Donkey Kong (whichever took place first). I mailed Nintendo about this a few months back, and it seems they listened to my plea and changed the name.

I mean really, Mario and friends as babies at the same time? Baby Princess Toadstool on Yoshi Island? When it is specifically stated that Mario and Luigi's first encounter with Princess Toadstool occured in SMB1.
Though, I don't believe for a second that the creators of this game have thought about any of this at all. Not even the suits at Nintendo have concerned themselves. To them Mario & friends have become dumb mascots readily available to be put in a variety of absurd situations totally disregarding the wishes of true fans. Gone are the days of the 80s and early 90s during which Mario came with a consistent storyline and a coherent universe.
A real joke character comes back for more than one appearance in a thread... :(

BocoDragon

hahahax said:
Good about the name change. The previous name hinted at this game being part of the Mario storyline. Now everyone must realize that this game is a 'dream match' as you would say when it comes to fighting games that bears no impact on the overall storyline (kof98).

It's a cash-in using familiar settings. It's not a 'sequel' to Yoshi's Island which was a prequel to Mario Bros and Donkey Kong (whichever took place first). I mailed Nintendo about this a few months back, and it seems they listened to my plea and changed the name.

I mean really, Mario and friends as babies at the same time? Baby Princess Toadstool on Yoshi Island? When it is specifically stated that Mario and Luigi's first encounter with Princess Toadstool occured in SMB1.
Though, I don't believe for a second that the creators of this game have thought about any of this at all. Not even the suits at Nintendo have concerned themselves. To them Mario & friends have become dumb mascots readily available to be put in a variety of absurd situations totally disregarding the wishes of true fans. Gone are the days of the 80s and early 90s during which Mario came with a consistent storyline and a coherent universe.

Actually this post is downright hilarious.

Fady K

Yoshi's Island was great! I played it when I was 11 back in 96 and loved it. Im surprised that some of you guys are going nuts over it today tho :D

Looking forward to it, but not as much as I wouldve back when i was 11 :D

Top Bottom