• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Whose Line (US) skit with Richard Simmons the funniest TV moment ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OP how dare you argue that one single clip can be funnier than the entirety of decades of television programmi-

Oh that clip, yes, yes you are right OP.

Having never seen anything more than a few minutes here and there of Whose Line before, I figured the clip in OP would have to be good for the praise. I didn't even smile. Guess it's not for me.

EDIT: Watching a few clips from the show posted in here. Not sure what I'm missing, but I'm not really enjoying any of 'em.

Having never seen anything more than a few minutes here and there of Whose Line before, I figured the clip in OP would have to be good for the praise. I didn't even smile. Guess it's not for me.

EDIT: Watching a few clips from the show posted in here. Not sure what I'm missing, but I'm not really enjoying any of 'em.

A sense of humor I would suspect.

Just joshing!

Risible

This and Colin breaking Ryan are my faves.

The way Drew and the audience LOSE THEIR SHIT is so infectious.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's strange because if these bits were authored they just wouldn't be that funny but because they are improv it makes them funnier.

yeah i dont think ive ever seen audiences just lose their shit as often as during episodes of whos line, but man that richard simmons skit was on a whole nother realm of hilarious. i dont think there is a soul alive who could remain calm during that skit.

ive seen it about 100x and i still cry laughing every.single.time

my grandfather is the grumpiest old shit you can find and even he was had tears down his cheeks during that, especially when colin popped off the " jet ski " and lit the smoke. tears. streaming tears

M.W.

What do you find funny?

Menome

The one moment that had me in stitches was Wayne Brady's response to Drew:

Drew: "There are many types of ranger: Park Ranger, Fire Ranger..."

Wayne: "Power Ranger."

The delivery was so perfect of that quip that I was creased up laughing.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Smoking a cigarette after the jetski part is what did it for me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, this show was great. Drew Carey with the bants in his pants. Easy to forget guys like and him and Wayne Brady are so sharp and funny.

farisr

Songs of the Pro Bowler:
That butterball song, the skill in making this up on the spot. Brilliant.
https://youtu.be/N2_xdON6Du8
This is one of my favorites as well, but for me the most impressive one was the "bowl me, strike me, spare me" song due to the speed at which the song was. Wayne Brady's been good throughout, but some of his early stuff was just on a whole other level. Songs of the Bus Driver is another favorite of mine.
Love this one too with all the YOUs from Colin and that one from Ryan where Colin and Wayne both turn and look at him at the same time, plus the "ow" from Ryan after Wayne's high pitch effort. So good.
It's probably that Irish Drinking Song where Drew tripped over his words, leaving Ryan to try to rhyme with absolute gibberish, which he responded with in kind. Everything about it is so damn funny, from Colin's little glance to Ryan before it happens, to the Meow callback, to Colin being the only one still standing.
Yeah, this one was hilarious too. But my favorite standalone (no callback) one has to be the Broke Up - Irish Drinking Song. If we started listing the songs where Colin cracks up everyone with his ending line we'd end up listing nearly all of them, but this one was unique in the way Laura Hall handled it as well, the music messing up just made it so much funnier.

Slightly OT, but I always thought it was super interesting that Richard Simmons was a background actor in Fellini's Satyricon pre-weight loss.

simmons-closeup.jpg

http://shebloggedbynight.com/2007/background-richard-simmons/

Carry on with the Whose Line discussion though, this clip is always a treat.

Defuser

imo among the 3 regulars Colin is definitely the best whose liner, only he can make Ryan lose it and Ryan always have high tolerance to humor.

Good god, I nearly choked laughing so hard at the OP video link. The way Drew Carey and the audience completely lost it just elevated it harder, so infectious.

GeeTeeCee

This thread reminded me just how much I loved Whose Line.

I always loved Colin trying to keep up with Ryan & Brad during If You Know What I Mean, or his incredibly elaborate openers during Newscasters.

I miss Whose Line. They don't show the new stuff here, and the CW region blocks it.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

SJRB

Gold Member
It's interesting how puzzled I was at the age of this clip. It could've been from last week, but it also could've been from 15 years ago.

Sadly, there is no video online of this moment, but here in SoCal we have(had?) a parade called the "Doo Dah Parade.
One time, while Richard Simmons was one of the tv hosts years ago, a group of some 8-10guys were marching on the parade. All of them were wearing overcoats. One went straight to the main camera and "flashed". He was wearing a shirt that said "Butter my yam!". He had a yam hanging from his crotch.
Richard's reaction was one of the funniest things ever. He went from "OMG! OMG!" to then laughing like a school girl.
It made my day.

I remember watching the original version of the show. Seems like this show has been on for decades now and it's still funny as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom