• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox E3 info (Zombie game, Battletoads, Forza Horizon, AoE, more)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I just remembered but maybe Microsoft will finally let Ensemble Studios make Age of Empires IV or Age of Empires V that teased us about back in the 2005 with the collectors Edition of Age of Empires III? It would be great if a new Age of Empires game can go up to the Space Age just like Empire Earth.

aoe4and5.jpg

daTRUballin

I just remembered but maybe Microsoft will finally let Ensemble Studios make Age of Empires IV or Age of Empires V that teased us about back in the 2005 with the collectors Edition of Age of Empires III? It would be great if a new Age of Empires game can go up to the Space Age just like Empire Earth.

Ensemble doesn't exist anymore, though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm assuming this is the new strategy studio they were hiring for since Ensemble got shuttered.

Ah yes I forgot that they kicked the bucket after Halo Wars hmmmm Mad Doc Software is still around as Rockstar New England,Stainless Steel Studios went down with Midway and the remnants of Esemble studios are just mobile developers now so I got to say the pickings seems slim for a studio to make a new Age of Empires game. It's too bad that Rick Goodman isn't a game developer anymore to bring back Age of Empires back into the forefront of the genre and Tony Goodman seems content with just making mobile games.

Unless they make it PC only, I can't help but fear what a new AoE game would look like.
Yeah, I liked Halo Wars, but I wouldn't want an AoE in that style. If they either amp up the builder elements or allow MKB usage, I have no problems.

I would be happy if that rumor about Sea of Thieves is true. I really don't want an MMO, but the setting and art style look great and I am a Rare fan.
I'm pretty sure it's always been talked about in terms of being "shared world" rather than MMO. I'd call that basically a lock.

Ah yes I forgot that they kicked the bucket after Halo Wars hmmmm Mad Doc Software is still around as Rockstar New England,Stainless Steel Studios went down with Midway and the remnants of Esemble studios are just mobile developers now so I got to say the pickings seems slim for a studio to make a new Age of Empires game. It's too bad that Rick Goodman isn't a game developer anymore to bring back Age of Empires back into the forefront of the genre and Tony Goodman seems content with just making mobile games.
MS formed a new internal studio a while ago with the mandate of "creating the next installment of a beloved strategy franchise." Decisive Games. Gotta imagine that they're working on AoE.

Montresor

Is there any chance that despite being a shared world game, Sea of Thieves can still be enjoyed solo and it has Windwaker style game play (huge world to explore on the open sea, lots of cities, side quests, and dungeons)?

This is one of my dreams for E3.

And for it to be third-person (not first-person).

Xion_Stellar

Yeah, I liked Halo Wars, but I wouldn't want an AoE in that style. If they either amp up the builder elements or allow MKB usage, I have no problems.

MS formed a new internal studio a while ago with the mandate of "creating the next installment of a beloved strategy franchise." Decisive Games. Gotta imagine that they're working on AoE.

I guess we will have to see what comes out of this but I hope I'm not proven wrong when I say this: I don't think it could get any worse than Age of Empires Online did.

Is there any chance that despite being a shared world game, Sea of Thieves can still be enjoyed solo and it has Windwaker style game play (huge world to explore on the open sea, lots of cities, side quests, and dungeons)?

This is one of my dreams for E3.

And for it to be third-person (not first-person).

Sooooooo

Windwaker.

:p

I'd imagine that there'll be some ability to solo stuff, yeah. If it's anything like existing examples, you'll be able to do most stuff on your own, only needing to band up for PvP and high-level stuff.

I guess we will have to see what comes out of this but I hope I'm not proven wrong when I say this: I don't think it could get any worse than Age of Empires Online did.

Oh, I dunno. Obnoxious pricing model and GFWL aside, AoE Online wasn't actually that bad. The missions at least were pretty solid AoE fair.

01DragonFly

Very boring rumors for me, except the zombie game.
we already knew some of this rumors(real or not)
rare : battletoads and banjo are always mentioned before e3
sea of thief was never a mmorpg
Forza Horizon australia leaked trailer from February(probably fake but australia/japan are always mentioned for next forza)
We already knew of General Raam for killer instinct
There was the rumor that the new studio was for Aoe or for a new strategy game
halo 2 beta is new but almost every Microsoft multiplayer game gets one( especially halo games)

If the new zombie game is Stay of decay here is an ign article from last year mentioning multiplayer
"State of Decay...it's just a single-player game, but it is very much a proving ground for the experience that we would like to carry forward as we look at the future of State of Decay," he said. "But one thing I can tell you is that that future very much has multiplayer at its heart."
some gaffers "insiders" are mentioning there is a Dead rising 4 in the making

the rumor list
Code:
A trailer for Xbox Daily and the Xbox Media Briefing will be published later today by Microsoft. It's already available on their servers. I can't give you details on how to get there though, sry. It will not feature anything too relevant but still one interesting new theme.
Only read further if you are fine with potential E3 spoilers!!!
People asked me what else I could catch from Xbox API etc. I will just share it now. Take these as rumors or whatever. I don't know what will be at E3 or whatever.
Rare is working on a new Battletoads
Sea of Thieves won't be a straight MMO, more like The Division/Destiny, seems like MS will give this game a huge focus, cross-play, cross-buy
FH3 set in Australia
General RAAM for Killer Instinct
Something Age of Empires (still not sure what exactly, prob new game)
Halo Wars 2 Beta is a thing, no cross-play mentioned
Zombie online game by MS, prob new State of Decay, could also be Dead Rising
Anniversary update will gets its own landing page on Xbox.com with the major features listed, prob "available now" at E3 for preview

willbsn13

That FH3 "leaked trailer" always bugged me.. the car isn't even on the correct side of the road for Australia:

Yeah it was confirmed a fake trailer a while back.

Whatever the location for FH3, I just hope it's bigger and more varied than FH2's map.

No offense Aussies, but am I the only one that went "meh" at the Australia leak? I mean you have Sydney, which would be beautiful, and the beaches, maybe off roading in the brush? Just a lot of sun.

CrayToes

Hopefully MS has a few surprises up their sleeves for their conference because regardless of how powerful Scorpio may be, nobody who's not already on Xbox will be particularly interested in that lineup.

element

The Decisive Games thing was a non-starter and was dissolved.

The rumor was they would reveal XB1 Slim this E3 and Scorpio would wait until early next year.

Nintendo thinks it's too early to show March 2017 console NX in June 2016.
Sony, well, will most likely not show PS4 Neo either if it launches Spring 2017.

So, why do people expect that MS officially announces fall 2017 candidate Scorpio anytime soon?

WadeitOut

Nintendo thinks it's too early to show March 2017 console NX in June 2016.
Sony, well, will most likely not show PS4 Neo either if it launches Spring 2017.

So, why do people expect that MS officially announces fall 2017 candidate Scorpio anytime soon?

Scorpio is not a new generational console. The NX is. Huge difference here that people keep forgetting.

Scorpio is not a new generational console. The NX is. Huge difference here that people keep forgetting.

As I said, that's MS to decide. If they promote this as a new generation (Phil: "big numbers"), it would immediately (and negatively) impact sales of "current" gen consoles, including the upcoming XBOX One Slim, which cannot be in MS' interest.

That said, it won't do sales any good anyhow. If people knew there's a (much) better console coming out in the forseeable future, a lot of them will wait.

WadeitOut

As I said, that's MS to decide. If they promote this as a new generation (Phil: "big numbers"), it would immediately (and negatively) impact sales of "current" gen consoles, including the upcoming XBOX One Slim, which cannot be in MS' interest.

That said, it won't do sales any good anyhow.

They aren't going to market it as a new generation because the games will still be labeled Xbox One.

And Microsoft has been very successful releasing new SKUs in the previous generation so they deserve the benefit of the doubt. To outright claim it won't help with sales is just silly.

They aren't going to market it as a new generation because the games will still be labeled Xbox One.

And Microsoft has been very successful releasing new SKUs in the previous generation so they deserve the benefit of the doubt. To outright claim it won't help with sales is just silly.

Back in the day, did they announce those new SKUs 1,5 years in advance?

You do realize Microsoft hasn't said anything about any new console period right? And it was never said that the Scorpio would be announced anytime soon. Assumptions etc.

So we agree? Because all I said is it's too early to announce a new SKU or new console generation (semantics...) 1.5 years in advance, especially if they have other new products (XBOX One Slim) in their pipeline which will be launched much sooner.

Concering the "never said" part, well, of course it wasn't, because nothing was announced yet. But there's a thread called "Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17" which suggests they'll announce Scorpio soon.

Tntnico

So we agree? Because all I said is it's too early to announce a new SKU or new console generation (semantics...) 1.5 years in advance, especially if they have other new products (XBOX One Slim) in their pipeline which will be launched much sooner.

Yes that's soon,but if Xbox Scorpio is VR capable, they need to announce this ASAP. If they don't, I will buy a PS VR instead. If they announce taht Xbox will be Oculus ready at this E3, I cancel my PSVR preorder.

My thoughts exactly.

Horizon 3 is going to be great and all that but please surprise me with something unique for once microsoft.

They've announced a few 'unique' new games in the past few years, but MS is MS. If you feel like this already, they're probably not going to shock and amaze you any time soon.

Top Bottom