• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV DVR feature "on hold" indefinitely

univbee

Replace my Xbox One with a VCR if old.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/11884622/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-on-hold

Microsoft is no longer planning to add a TV DVR feature to its Xbox One console. The software giant originally unveiled plans to add TV DVR to the Xbox One back in August, noting that the feature would arrive some time in 2016. "After careful consideration, we've decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10," revealed a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. "We're always listening to fan feedback and we look forward to bringing more requested experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live this year."

This is an important reminder to never put money down on vague future promises.

Zedox

Sucks cuz I would have used it but whatever, I probably watch Netflix more than anything.

Doffen said:
What does this even mean?

Focus on gaming. It's pretty cut and dry.

Bizzquik

Disappointing for cord cutters, such as my friends.

Looking at the bigger picture, I wonder what this means for the HDMI Input as a whole. Does Microsoft plan to keep this feature for future consoles?

univbee

They're trying to make it sound like they want to focus on the gaming aspects instead of on the TVTVTV aspects. Would have been interesting for me since as far as I'm aware the Xbox One is the only OTA "cable box" analog with a working TV Guide for Canada. Oh well.

BTW thanks for linking the Norwegian vid in the other thread.

MilkyJoe

At least they acknowledge it's a game console first. I dunno what it's like in the US but UK most ways to receive TV already have a hard drive.

univbee

Looking at the bigger picture, I wonder what this means for the HDMI Input as a whole. Does Microsoft plan to keep this feature for future consoles?

It'd depend on what kind of cost it has to the console as a whole. I'm guessing if they're intending to cut it, we'll get some indication of that on Monday.

jelly

About time, streaming was smacking them in the head years ago and they still bet against it.

I know the US is a bit of a crap hole with set top boxes but the rest of the world has loads of stuff to choose from that is really good either without a sub or with. Xbox DVR would have been a waste of time and along with on demand/streaming it's not worth doing now.

Krakn3Dfx

Kill Windows Media Center support and then the TV DVR functionality that was supposed to replace it. This is kind of the only reason I was holding onto my XB1 at this point. Guess I can clear off that shelf now.

JaggedSac

This would have been only through the supported usb dongle from Hauppage, not HDMI-in. But it certainly does put into doubt those extra features of the Bone.

Gaming and they are probably shifting their entertainment focus to cord cutters instead of linear OTT experience.

I could easily see them push hard for a better cord cutter experience instead of linear. Making a useful and good hub for all your streaming and VOD apps would be super cool. everyone is chasing it, someone has to get it right at some point.

univbee

That's good. Where would I put these recordings? My 1tb internal storage is full of games as is my 1tb external.

Another external. Actually from what little information was released for the feature, it sounded like the DVR recordings needed a dedicated drive to work with.

I suspect streaming has reached a point where DVR-ing is largely pointless.

oldergamer

That doesn't make sense. TV DVR is a feature for people that have cords/cable, not those that cut them.

Lucifon

Because we couldn't have Halo, Gears and Forza without putting TV DVR on hold?

They don't have infinite resources. There's a priority level to everything they work on and look to implement. Clearly they know how many people are using the features on the Xbox, and will focus their attention where makes sense.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Because we couldn't have Halo, Gears and Forza without putting TV DVR on hold?

You seem like trolling.

But I will still answer, new games output has nothing to do with what the OS team is working on. They are talking about the feature. Gaming related features that they want to focus on more than TV related features.

Now they are merging PC and Xbox via the Xbox app on PC I can totally understand they have lot of things to do and allocate their resources to than this DVR feature that only few will use.

mcrommert

Banned
Great...this is the logical ending of this "only for gaming" bullshit that has been foisted constantly by an annoying loud minority. Xbox has done almost nothing on the media end since it launched....and now they are not going to implement a feature that would have been a great addition.

Fucking bullshit

EDIT: also for all those who were looking at the xbox ui rumor for pc as some sort of slight return of windows media center light...microsoft says you can go fuck yourself

Great...this is the logical ending of this "only for gaming" bullshit that has been foisted constantly by an annoying loud minority. Xbox has done almost nothing on the media end since it launched....and now they are not going to implement a feature that would have been a great addition.

Fucking bullshit

It sucks. A lot.

But if it means a more aggressive approach to providing a good cord cutting machine, then it will be interesting.

In general I hope MS will still allocate ressources to media and entertainment. I want a good all-in-one box for that stuff.

Chris1

Not gonna lie, this was the only TV feature I was looking forward to. Would even have bought that OTA adapter thing.

God damnit MS.

Zedox

Not gonna lie, this was the only TV feature I was looking forward to. Would even have bought that OTA adapter thing.

God damnit MS.

Right. Well, it seems this is why they are coming out with a Streaming box/stick. *sigh*

EGM1966

They've grasped the market size for people using XB1 as the focal device for TV DVR vs existing devices and options is so small its not worth the on-going negative perception they get for anything related to "TV TV TV" nor does it justify the cost to develop and that its safer to save the time/money and tell fans they're focusing on games.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This is disappointing to me because it's one of the reasons I bought my Xbox One. my wife watches the over-the-air TV with the antenna adapter all the time. And now this makes it a little bit more disappointing going forward. Should have just gotten a PS4 I suppose

I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority here, but the promise of this feature was something I was looking forward to and gave the Xbox One some value to me as an all-encompassing media device.

I pretty much buy all my games on PS4 and this is making me consider getting rid of the Xbox since it doesn't serve much purpose now.

Chris1

Right. Well, it seems this is why they are coming out with a Streaming box/stick. *sigh*

Pshh I'm not buying some $150 box for that :(

Might buy the stick depending on what it does though (mainly streaming games, if it does all 360 games and not just the BC ones I'll definitely think about it)

Bizzquik

That doesn't make sense. TV DVR is a feature for people that have cords/cable, not those that cut them.

"After careful consideration, we've decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold"

"Cord-cutting" is slang for doing away with paying for TV, i.e. cable, satellite (Dish Network, DirecTV)

Over The Air (OTA) = local channels broadcast over airwaves - which is entirely free (just need an OTA antenna)

Having no DVR for OTA means that if you want to record NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX, etc, .....you will not be able to do so on your Xbox One. ....So this is bad for people that do not want to pay for television.

Ushay

Media streaming is where its at ie Netflix etc.

They should focus on these first (and gaming primarily of course)

Top Bottom