• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV DVR feature "on hold" indefinitely

driver116

Eh, I would rather them explore IPTV along the lines of PS Vue tbh. Although, now that I have Vue, I probably wouldn't switch unless they came out with something significantly better.

Funny thing is, they owned an IPTV business, but they sold it a few years ago 0_0

CamHostage

I dunno what it's like in the US but UK most ways to receive TV already have a hard drive.

Unfortunately, broadcast TV and DVRing is not as good here as it is in the UK via Freeview. (Not that we should be complaining, given how much you all suffer from our region-blocking and other issues, but...) TIVO and Rovi have sewn up all kinds of patent rules for scheduling a device to record a program digitally. (Yes, yes, I know about HD Home Run.) Only the cable/satt companies are delivering products that compete on the level of a TIVO box, but even if you're interested in their service, they'll charge you extra rates monthly to rent their box, they won't sell them or allow you to seek a third-party vendor for a better or cheaper cable box. Although there was a run on DVRs in the mid-2000s, all that's dried up.

Panasonic, for example, made a DVR in about 2004 that used free TV Guide data for scheduling, and you could even burn those shows to a DVD. That released globally. More recently, Panasonic made a similar DVR, but with HD recording and a Blu-Ray drive and twin tuners and app support for Netflix and Amazon streaming ... but they won't sell it here in America.

Microsoft would've had something compelling and unique, and indisputably the best set-top box for cord-cutters. You can get a Roku and get an antenna, but the Roku doesn't handle antennas. You have to switch inputs, etc. and you can't record shows.

The best option now is to use a TiVo (but it doesn't have as many streaming apps) or a Tablo (more complex and monthly fee).

Yeah, it's a bummer for me as a cord-cutter, and I have a lot of family members hating cable fees that I've tried hooking up with DVR solutions, but nothing's really great and user-friendly. Xbox would have weirdly been a nice solution, kind of like how every grandma at one point owned a Wii so they could watch Netflix when the children weren't in town.

The FCC is proposing changes that would break the cable/satt companys' lock-out on third-party boxes (and if that happened, I would assume Roku and Amazon Fire and things like that would come out with TV support. And Google's most recent version of Android TV has some hooks in it for DVR functions (there are actually some Android TVs that can record, can record off of an HDMI stream even, but the boxes themselves are knockoff-quality and the schedulers for recording are virtually useless one-at-a-time appointments,) so hopefully some company will bring a solution through those types of boxes.

Sargon

This sucks. I was looking forward to the DVR feature. The author does seem to take some liberties with the "on hold" part of the statement though. They didn't say it was canceled, so maybe they will come back to it at some point.

LewieP

My parents use a PS3 plus PlayTV for a DVR/Netflix/Blu Ray box, and a bit of gaming. I could have seen them picking up an Xbox One as an upgrade (PlayTV is only SD), but I guess not now.

That excuse from Microsoft is hilarious. They claimed to be entirely focussed on gaming when this was announced less than a year ago.

"a game ate my homework".

I wonder what this means for the HDMI Input as a whole.

This, basically.

maxresdefault.jpg

Coxy100

Banned
A shame for me. I'm getting rid of Sky (UK) so was going to use the xbox to record stuff from now on. Will still use it for watching the freeview channels but would like to be able to record...

Footos22

A shame for me. I'm getting rid of Sky (UK) so was going to use the xbox to record stuff from now on. Will still use it for watching the freeview channels but would like to be able to record...

Most modern tvs let you hook up a hardrive via usb and record via the planner.

I upgraded my ps4 harddrive to a 2tb switched the one in case for my 500gb ps4 hardrive and now use that to record on freeview.

My guess is that the next X1 hardware revision (not Scorpio, the one releasing this fall) will have the HDMI input slot removed. No point of working on DVR functionality when future systems can't use it.

LewieP

My guess is that the next X1 hardware revision (not Scorpio, the one releasing this fall) will have the HDMI input slot removed. No point of working on DVR functionality when future systems can't use it.

I'd argue that the point would be that you promised it to owners of current systems, but yes I imagine Microsoft's thought process was something along these lines (or even they announced it before realising how much work it would actually be for a feature that won't generate any revenue and will only be used by a minority of their userbase).

Something tell's me the TV stuff is going to be phased out, with a bigger focus on the more modern 'on demand' stuff and apps.

Maybe the slim will have it but I'm thinking the Scorpio will drop the HDMI in.

EvB

I'm hoping they can just work better with the on demand apps so you can watch things direct from the EPG

Focus on gaming and then why those rumoured XBO sticks?
The quote says on-hold not canceled. Lots of CE plans have been put on hold not canceled

DVR in the XB1 is on hold,
UHD Firmware update on hold since Jan 2016 (XB1 and PS4),
Vidipath on hold since June 2015. (CE Industry)

FCC DSTAC downloadable security scheme will become a mandate in slightly more than a year.
Cable TV is moving to all IPTV delivery now with Cable TV provided apps. The FCC mandate will require Cable TV to allow manufacturers to provide the APP using the Downloadable Security scheme.

ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 Vidipath Tuners should be shipping in 2017 (LG has a prototype)
DVB T2 using HEVC will start in Germany 2017 (Very close cousin to ATSC 3.0)
ATSC 3.0 will be first in Korea late 2017 but planned Antenna TV Broadcast of the Olympics Feb 2018
The FCC has been petitioned to allow voluntary early deployment of ATSC 3.0

To recap:

1) The PS4 and XB1 launch Consoles are UHD Capable (Fact -confirmed-) Will be updated October 2016 (Strong Speculation, Mentioned is a Update Jan 2016 which did not happen)
2) BDXL drives from 2010 BD-R specs can read UHD Disks (not play) as can BD-ROM drives after a firmware update. The BD+ and AACS 2.0 routines have to run in a TEE that has a trusted boot. The difference between Mount Fuji book 8 & 9 give the changes to the drive firmware to support UHD Blu-ray. (Fact) (everything has to be in place to play UHD blu-ray movies).
3) UHD Media is served as HTML5 and a 4K TV screen is a webpage. Coming with UHD is a new browser and new DRM hardware. HEVC profile 10 multi-view plus depthmap (or subset) will be used for all streaming media in the future on UHD Capable platforms. (Fact)
4) HDCP 2.2 takes place in the media TEE which also supports Miracast, DTCP-IP (Playready, WMDRM and ND), HDMI 2 over LAN and Vidipath (Fact)
5) Microsoft and Sony have always planned to support 14 nm FinFET with Polaris and Vega in 2017 and plan to support the next console in 2019 be it an iteration or next generation. (Fact in letters to the EU power board and some speculation) Given a Livingroom TDP; Polaris for PS4 using GDDR5 will be 4 TF and Vega using HBM 2 for XB1 will be 6 TF. (Fact) XB1 has to use HBM 2 while the PS4 can use GDDR5 because they moved the ARM IP out of the APU.

PS4 Neo will be released before the XB1 Scorpio by about 6 months to a year. (Speculation but based on the PS4 ability to use GDDR5 and thus Polaris which AMD is releasing first). PS4 NEO will be cheaper to manufacture than XB1 Scorpio. (Strong speculation). There may be two XB1 versions but the PS4 will probably only have one going forward (Speculation based on price to manufacture). This is contrary logic if based on hardware design. Since the PS4 Southbridge contains all Media/ARM IP, it can be updated without needing to update the APU for any new features coming with UHD Media while the XB1 has all ARM IP in the APU and needs a complete new chip to update UHD media features.

6) Sony and Microsoft plan to support next generation TV and Vidipath. (Fact)
7) They plan to have DVRs for Antenna TV. Microsoft has already announced this and support for 1080P which is available from the EU as DVB T2 using Mpeg 4 and in the US only with ATSC 3 (Fact for Microsoft, speculation for Sony)
8) They plan to support UHD Blu-ray with digital bridge as a Vidipath server using Playready ND (Fact in Sony and Panasonic PDFs but speculation for the consoles)
9) Sony has a UHD Blu-ray Licence for a Embedded or Game Console Player (fact)
10) Sony has a UHD blu-ray Licence for a PC Player Application (Fact)
11) Sony wanted the UHD Blu-ray Digital bridge as a mandate . ANY UHD blu-ray player with digital bridge can support being a Media HUB (Transcode from 1080P to or from 4K) (Fact)
12) DVB T2 with HEVC starts in 2017 (Germany), in Korea 2017 as ATSC 3 and the FCC (US) has been petitioned to allow voluntary ATSC 3 implementation in 2017. (Fact)
13) 2017 was the date set for Cable TV to start to move to All IPTV and DOCSIS 3.1 (Fact)
14) ATSC 3 has features that could support a massive cable cutting movement to Antenna TV. It's envisioned that ATSC 3.0 will be the primary supplier of free content supplemented by the Internet (Cable TV cable modem supplying all IPTV media). (Fact) Playstation Vue and other streaming services will be the supplemental
15) LG already has a ATSC 1 & 3 Antenna TV Tuner/Vidipath server with more to come in 2017. (Fact)
16) Any UHD capable Dongle, STB, Game console or TV that supports HTML5 with W3C extensions and HEVC can be a next generation TV and Vidipath player if they have Playready DRM (fact)
17) Microsoft is rumored to announce Xbox dongles, Xbox STBs and a Xbox Slim this year and Scorpio late 2017. This is a complete spread of STBs to be supported by the XB1 as a Media and Game Hub. Always planned and now near enough to HEVC broadband and Antenna TV support for an announcement. This plus NEO is I think why Sony believes they will sell 20 million PS4 consoles from Christmas season 2016 to March 2017. UHD blu-ray with digital bridge and Vidipath along with it being a media hub and DVR for other platforms and a Next generation TV platform.

Best guess XB1 Slim will sell for $299 and PS4 (NEO) will sell for $399 as the only PS4 going forward. Scorpio in 2017 will probably be $499 with XB1 slim still selling for $299.

Every UHD TV to this point and the near future will also need a Vidipath Tuner (Fact).

18) Every Vidipath platform will have Playready DRM (Fact) Sony PS4 has Playready porting kit 3 and WMDRM (Fact in PS4 notice, there is no requirement for the notice, they are sneaking in an announcement for Vidipath support.)
19) VR uses a subset of the UHD software stack and hardware in the UHD blu-ray with digital bridge platforms. The same hardware that does the transcoding from 1080P to/from 4K can distort the output for VR goggles.

oldergamer

The quote says on-hold not canceled. Lots of CE plans have been put on hold not canceled

DVR in the XB1 is on hold,
UHD Firmware update on hold since Jan 2016 (XB1 and PS4),
Vidipath on hold since June 2015. (CE Industry)

FCC DSTAC downloadable security scheme will become a mandate in slightly more than a year.
Cable TV is moving to all IPTV delivery now with Cable TV provided apps. The FCC mandate will require Cable TV to allow manufacturers to provide the APP using the Downloadable Security scheme.

ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 Vidipath Tuners should be shipping in 2017 (LG has a prototype)
DVB T2 using HEVC will start in Germany 2017 (Very close cousin to ATSC 3.0)
ATSC 3.0 will be first in Korea late 2017 but planned Antenna TV Broadcast of the Olympics Feb 2018
The FCC has been petitioned to allow voluntary early deployment of ATSC 3.0

To recap:

1) The PS4 and XB1 launch Consoles are UHD Capable (Fact -confirmed-) Will be updated October 2016 (Strong Speculation, Mentioned is a Update Jan 2016 which did not happen)
2) BDXL drives from 2010 BD-R specs can read UHD Disks (not play) as can BD-ROM drives after a firmware update. The BD+ and AACS 2.0 routines have to run in a TEE that has a trusted boot. The difference between Mount Fuji book 8 & 9 give the changes to the drive firmware to support UHD Blu-ray. (Fact) (everything has to be in place to play UHD blu-ray movies).
3) UHD Media is served as HTML5 and a 4K TV screen is a webpage. Coming with UHD is a new browser and new DRM hardware. HEVC profile 10 multi-view plus depthmap (or subset) will be used for all streaming media in the future on UHD Capable platforms. (Fact)
4) HDCP 2.2 takes place in the media TEE which also supports Miracast, DTCP-IP (Playready, WMDRM and ND), HDMI 2 over LAN and Vidipath (Fact)
5) Microsoft and Sony have always planned to support 14 nm FinFET with Polaris and Vega in 2017 and plan to support the next console in 2019 be it an iteration or next generation. (Fact in letters to the EU power board and some speculation) Given a Livingroom TDP; Polaris for PS4 using GDDR5 will be 4 TF and Vega using HBM 2 for XB1 will be 6 TF. (Fact) XB1 has to use HBM 2 while the PS4 can use GDDR5 because they moved the ARM IP out of the APU.

PS4 Neo will be released before the XB1 Scorpio by about 6 months to a year. (Speculation but based on the PS4 ability to use GDDR5 and thus Polaris which AMD is releasing first). PS4 NEO will be cheaper to manufacture than XB1 Scorpio. (Strong speculation). There may be two XB1 versions but the PS4 will probably only have one going forward (Speculation based on price to manufacture). This is contrary logic if based on hardware design. Since the PS4 Southbridge contains all Media/ARM IP, it can be updated without needing to update the APU for any new features coming with UHD Media while the XB1 has all ARM IP in the APU and needs a complete new chip to update UHD media features.

6) Sony and Microsoft plan to support next generation TV and Vidipath. (Fact)
7) They plan to have DVRs for Antenna TV. Microsoft has already announced this and support for 1080P which is available from the EU as DVB T2 using Mpeg 4 and in the US only with ATSC 3 (Fact for Microsoft, speculation for Sony)
8) They plan to support UHD Blu-ray with digital bridge as a Vidipath server using Playready ND (Fact in Sony and Panasonic PDFs but speculation for the consoles)
9) Sony has a UHD Blu-ray Licence for a Embedded or Game Console Player (fact)
10) Sony has a UHD blu-ray Licence for a PC Player Application (Fact)
11) Sony wanted the UHD Blu-ray Digital bridge as a mandate . ANY UHD blu-ray player with digital bridge can support being a Media HUB (Transcode from 1080P to or from 4K) (Fact)
12) DVB T2 with HEVC starts in 2017 (Germany), in Korea 2017 as ATSC 3 and the FCC (US) has been petitioned to allow voluntary ATSC 3 implementation in 2017. (Fact)
13) 2017 was the date set for Cable TV to start to move to All IPTV and DOCSIS 3.1 (Fact)
14) ATSC 3 has features that could support a massive cable cutting movement to Antenna TV. It's envisioned that ATSC 3.0 will be the primary supplier of free content supplemented by the Internet (Cable TV cable modem supplying all IPTV media). (Fact) Playstation Vue and other streaming services will be the supplemental
15) LG already has a ATSC 1 & 3 Antenna TV Tuner/Vidipath server with more to come in 2017. (Fact)
16) Any UHD capable Dongle, STB, Game console or TV that supports HTML5 with W3C extensions and HEVC can be a next generation TV and Vidipath player if they have Playready DRM (fact)
17) Microsoft is rumored to announce Xbox dongles, Xbox STBs and a Xbox Slim this year and Scorpio late 2017. This is a complete spread of STBs to be supported by the XB1 as a Media and Game Hub. Always planned and now near enough to HEVC broadband and Antenna TV support for an announcement. This plus NEO is I think why Sony believes they will sell 20 million PS4 consoles from Christmas season 2016 to March 2017. UHD blu-ray with digital bridge and Vidipath along with it being a media hub and DVR for other platforms and a Next generation TV platform.

Best guess XB1 Slim will sell for $299 and PS4 (NEO) will sell for $399 as the only PS4 going forward. Scorpio in 2017 will probably be $499 with XB1 slim still selling for $299.

Every UHD TV to this point and the near future will also need a Vidipath Tuner (Fact).

18) Every Vidipath platform will have Playready DRM (Fact) Sony PS4 has Playready porting kit 3 and WMDRM (Fact in PS4 notice, there is no requirement for the notice, they are sneaking in an announcement for Vidipath support.)
19) VR uses a subset of the UHD software stack and hardware in the UHD blu-ray with digital bridge platforms. The same hardware that does the transcoding from 1080P to/from 4K can distort the output for VR goggles.

Ever know a guy on forums named "Deadmeat"?

Because we couldn't have Halo, Gears and Forza without putting TV DVR on hold?

You do know there are a lot of other exclusive xbox one games correct? Anyway good to hear. Thegaming side is the side im most interested in, even though I enjoyed the conveniece of some of the tv features.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Really, how hard would this be to implement? Dedicating resources to this would be shameful. Give an SDK to a competent developer and they could have a working beta within a few hours. This isnt rocket science, toy already have a half hour buffer built into live Ota tv watching. If they won't make a true DVR, why not at least allow for caching an hour or two? Even that much would make my wife happy.

Vyer

Sucks. OTA through my Xbox works pretty well. DVR function would have brought the whole set up together pretty well.

Bet there was some kind of legal challenge that prevented this.

Perhaps, but I think it was more content providers getting pissy and flexing muscles without going through legal channels. "Nice marketplace you got there. Would be a shame if we pulled all of our apps, movies, TV shows, and music owned by us, our parent companies, and our sister companies."

Possible reason for the DVR to be on hold and for the XB1 to have not yet been firmware updated for UHD Media.

https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/04/html-media-extensions-to-continue-work/ said:
The HTML Media Extensions Working Group was extended today (April 2016) until the end of September 2016. As part of making video a first class citizen of the Web, an effort started by HTML5 itself in 2007, W3C has been working on many extension specifications for the Open Web Platform: capturing images from the local device camera, handling of video streams and tracks, captioning and other enhancements for accessibility, audio processing, real-time communications, etc. The HTML Media Extensions Working Group is working on two of those extensions: Media Sources Extensions (MSE), for facilitating adaptive and live streaming, and Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), for playback of protected content. Both are extension specifications to enhance the Open Web Platform with rich media support.
Since all UHD Media uses HTML5 <video> MSE EME in some manor (UHD BLu-ray uses the C-ENC format but with AACS2) this could explain the PS4 and XB1 as UHD Capable Consoles not being firmware updated till after September 2016. PS4 firmware 4.0 should occur after this date, in any case it's usually sometime end of September to middle of November. PS4 VR starts October and a firmware update should occur before then.

AMD and Nvidia just released drivers for OpenVX so Microsoft and Sony should do the same for the PS4 and XB1 soon. Open VX uses accelerators (25 times more efficient) that are vender specific in addition to GPU compute and complements openCV which uses primarily GPU compute or openCL. The accelerators for the PS4 are Xtensa processors in Southbridge. Because of their location they can be used to pre and post process video while the XB1 Xtensa processors are in the APU and can be used for more. The Kinect camera already pre processes video.

Fliesen

Good. The fact that they put so much attention and focus on features that were pretty much US only did bite them in the ass big time, over here in Europe. Most Europeans simply don't use "cable boxes" that feed the TV via HDMI. When you remove the "awesome TV functionality", you're left with a bigger console with less processing power.

Adding another such feature to the list would just alienate European customers even more.

otakukidd

Good. The fact that they put so much attention and focus on features that were pretty much US only did bite them in the ass big time, over here in Europe. Most Europeans simply don't use "cable boxes" that feed the TV via HDMI. When you remove the "awesome TV functionality", you're left with a bigger console with less processing power.

Adding another such feature to the list would just alienate European customers even more.
Actually wouldn't this be the one feature Europeans could use. This wouldn't work with cable boxs, it would only work with over the air channels.

SMattera

I think posts like these are why they pulled it: It seems very few people actually understood what it was or how it would've been used.

Top Bottom