• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV DVR feature "on hold" indefinitely

Theonik

I hope not. Ideally they'd let me replace my cable box entirely.
I think the extra HDMI port probably increases the complexity of the motherboard significantly and impacts their margins. Since most people don't actually care about the feature I can easily see it cut. It was a weird remain of Microsoft's failed strategy before the 180.
e: Basically for the slim system potentially getting well slimmer and cheaper it might be a detriment to keep the feature. DVR functions on consoles aren't new either. Sony had an accessory for the PS3 for this.

I completely forgot about this.

Oh well, if it's out its out.... Sucks if you're trying to get off cable but where there's a will there's a way

About time, streaming was smacking them in the head years ago and they still bet against it.

I know the US is a bit of a crap hole with set top boxes but the rest of the world has loads of stuff to choose from that is really good either without a sub or with. Xbox DVR would have been a waste of time and along with on demand/streaming it's not worth doing now.

But it's a worldwide product... and streaming is not as big a deal in other countries, countries where internet access comes with data caps. Countries where over the air TV is a big thing, and has a much better attach rate than their version of cable. Countries like Australia (though Netflix is pretty popular here, but it's still a very limited experience).

Shin-Ra

They're trying to make it sound like they want to focus on the gaming aspects instead of on the TVTVTV aspects.
They've been doing this since E3 after the unveiling but still announced this quite recently. There's nothing wrong with doing media and games but using fan requests and a focus on games as a positive cover for another flip is really transparent.

Fuchsdh

About time, streaming was smacking them in the head years ago and they still bet against it.

I know the US is a bit of a crap hole with set top boxes but the rest of the world has loads of stuff to choose from that is really good either without a sub or with. Xbox DVR would have been a waste of time and along with on demand/streaming it's not worth doing now.

I dunno, the XB1 would have offered a lot more, and there's a benefit to an all-in-one gadget. I think the biggest strike against it here was that until the FCC deregulated cable boxes you were still going to be stuck with having to use in in conjunction with something else. It wasn't really a full option for cord-cutting and thus it was competing against sub-$100 devices.

EGM1966

They are probably going to add it to the new system tbh.
Sorry that makes no sense.

If they do deliver it then the logical business move is to release it on both. Releasing it to a device that sounds even less TV focused an more high end gaming/VR focused and will have a smaller install base would be pretty damn odd move.

Besides, the feature itself - while I'm sure some would like it - doesn't really make much sense either now. People stream content or they already have specific devices, often tied to the provider of their media, for TV DVR. The market for this on any Xbox is almost certainly small and is only likely to shrink further over time.

Like most of their TV strategy this belongs to an alternative reality that never materialized. One where millions of households use a single device for media consumption while locked to a single room and screen.

That reality was negated by proliferation of streaming services and multi-device and screen usage and increasing focus on second screening and effectively nullified by the existing players in TV DVR to boot.

It does suck if you wanted it because you were promised it.

But it could be worse. I'm still waiting for HL2 EP3 which Valve promised me a looong time ago.

I reckon there's more chance of that releasing though that MS investing in TV features on their consoles currently vs focusing on TV features on Xbox.

Doffen

You seem like trolling.

But I will still answer, new games output has nothing to do with what the OS team is working on. They are talking about the feature. Gaming related features that they want to focus on more than TV related features.

Now they are merging PC and Xbox via the Xbox app on PC I can totally understand they have lot of things to do and allocate their resources to than this DVR feature that only few will use.

Because the OS team didn't know about the merging of Xbox and PC back in 2015?

Canklestank

Neo Member
That doesn't make sense. TV DVR is a feature for people that have cords/cable, not those that cut them.

No? There's free TV available through an OTA antenna. Why wouldn't people want to pause and record shows that way and then watch them without ads? In fact, I built an Intel NUC Linux box for this very purpose. If I had known Microsoft was going to do it, and they followed through with it, I would have bought an Xbox One instead.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Or the OS team is seeing lot more potential with the merge and features they could bring now than they did 1 year ago?

There will be an app for that. Its pretty much clear that this is going to become more or less a reveal pc/console next week (Honestly it was at game dev conf two months ago). Why divert resources when others can do it for you?

jelly

But it's a worldwide product... and streaming is not as big a deal in other countries, countries where internet access comes with data caps. Countries where over the air TV is a big thing, and has a much better attach rate than their version of cable. Countries like Australia (though Netflix is pretty popular here, but it's still a very limited experience).

Streaming isn't for everyone but there is still options, just not the convenience of using an Xbox for DVR. Microsoft would be selling an Xbox to an Xbox fan not a limited DVR customer. It's just not worth pursuing.

sonto340

Disappointed because it'd be a nice feature add but I get that they're shifting hard toward a gaming centricnplatofrm, and I'm sure I can find something else to do what I need.

Bgamer90

Banned
This would have been nice but I guess the effort (and/or whatever issues popped up when getting this on) isn't worth it.

I have an antenna (plus Netflix & PlayStation Vue) so I definitely would have used this.

Would have been handy, but it's not a feature I'll lose sleep over not getting tbh. They really shouldn't have promised it if they weren't sure they were going to follow through though.

How do finite resources work?

Would have thought they'd have freed up a lot of resources when they started closing down first party studios. A course of action which now seems even more strange if they're now claiming their focus is on gaming.

From the outside it really looks like MS doesn't know what it's doing with the Xbox brand at this point imo.

gamz

Would have been handy, but it's not a feature I'll lose sleep over not getting tbh. They really shouldn't have promised it if they weren't sure they were going to follow through though.

Would have thought they'd have freed up a lot of resources when they started closing down first party studios. A course of action which now seems even more strange if they're now claiming their focus is on gaming.

From the outside it really looks like MS doesn't know what it's doing with the Xbox brand at this point imo.

Closing down studios doesn't mean they aren't focused on gaming. If Walmart closes a store does it mean they aren't focused on retail?

Personally this doesn't bother me, I get no OTA coverage where I live anyway.

Seemed like it could have been a neat feature for those that do though.

Wonder if there were some legal loopholes they'd need to jump through from the content providers? Not sure what the terms are on OTA content.

EGM1966

I fully expect, working in a similarly large organization, that there was likely lack of full alignment plus their formerly large but shrinking team focused on TV/media aspects of their offer no doubt were continuing with projects they thought they could get through.

I doubt this was the provence of the OS team. More likely the TV/Media team would drive their requirements for OS team to execute.

I do agree with your sentiments its a bit annoying though. It's what happens when businesses find their plans changing and in particular when their plans are in some ways forced to change from outside (via market pressure).

In short I'm sure when MS planned to deliver this they meant it but the changing market has forced them to consider the negative impact of changing it vs the positive impact of changing it and unfortunately for some they've clearly come to the view the upside of dropping the announced feature outweighs the negative.

CRAIG667

Really not happy with this. Been promising the wife that this was coming for months...

Pretty pissed actually.

That's a huge disappointment for me. Still get a lot of use out of my OVA receiver on the console but being able to delay more than 15 minutes of a show would have been greatly appreciated.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I do admit I find a bit humorous that Sony is now the one pushing TV hard and MS is focusing on gaming and such when it seemed much the opposite only a couple years ago.

spons

Gold Member
At least they have the chance to undo all the nonsense included with the Xbox One with the new devices. The TV guide had too many errors for my provider/country anyway. Guess that's what you get for being Tier 2®.

mcrommert

Banned
The worst part of this...is instead of being honest and announcing this themselves...they pushed it out through a surrogate like the verge. But its okay guys...they are commited to the games...smh

rambis

Banned
How does this excuse work exactly? Surely the team that would handle this would be completely separate from any gaming features team. Hell what happened to that WMC codebase?

How does this excuse work exactly? Surely the team that would handle this would be completely separate from any gaming features team. Hell what happened to that WMC codebase?
that's the brilliance.

it doesn't work as an excuse and everyone knows it.

ever have a friend give a total bullshit excuse to something you thought they probably wouldn't do anyway and then you think for a second to question it and then don't because it's just not worth the time it would waste so you just nod your head and move on?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Replace my Xbox One with a VCR if old.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/11884622/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-on-hold

This is an important reminder to never put money down on vague future promises.

It was only supposed to work with that digital TV thing, right? It was always flawed, only DVB-T. I guess they looked at the number of sold digital TV extenders, then looked at the number of those that actually use it, then those that actually use it with DVB-T, then knew it wasn't worth it. What they should do is just record everything that comes in over HDMI-In. But I expect that port to be cut from future console revisions.

SMattera

For these people that were banking on this:

I would recommend a Tablo OTA + Roku 3/4 or Fire TV.

It's not as good as Microsoft's plan (there's a $5/month subscription fee) but it works really well. And maybe Tablo will put an Xbox app out now that they know they won't have to compete with Microsoft.

Top Bottom