• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V story mode key art, screenshots

raven777

CkhIovGUUAERcsa.jpg:orig

CkhLh_0VAAE_DIX.jpg:orig

CkhLiCrUoAAq5nj.jpg:orig

CkhLidIVAAEMWxj.jpg:orig

the story mode will have all the DLC characters featured
the overall playtime of the story mode is around 4 hours

The next related piece of awesome news: all six DLC characters are fully playable in the story mode. That’s right, in addition to Alex, Guile, and Ibuki, that means that Balrog, Urien, and Juri are also playable! The official release of these characters will not be until later in the year, which means everyone will get to play them in advance through this mode. For the DLC characters that haven’t been released at the time the story comes out, those characters shouldn’t be considered final or tournament ready, as they still need to be properly polished and balanced. So, think of this as a free preview of the characters and enjoy playing with them before they get officially released in the other competitive game modes.
more at the link: http://www.4gamer.net/games/283/G028399/20160609001/

BiggNife

Worth mentioning: All six DLC characters will be playable in story mode. They still need to be balanced for competitive play so they're not final but still, that's cool.

Also, they said it's 3-4 hours, which is a bit longer than the 1-2 that was originally going around.

BadWolf

Worth mentioning: All six DLC characters will be playable in story mode. They still need to be balanced for competitive play so they're not final but still, that's cool.

Also, they said it's 3-4 hours, which is a bit longer than the 1-2 that was originally going around.

Sweet.

BiggNife

The post I quoted was ninja edited, but FYI there is more info in the capcom unity post, which IMO should be in the OP:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harriso...v-cinematic-story-and-additional-june-updates

The next related piece of awesome news: all six DLC characters are fully playable in the story mode. That’s right, in addition to Alex, Guile, and Ibuki, that means that Balrog, Urien, and Juri are also playable! The official release of these characters will not be until later in the year, which means everyone will get to play them in advance through this mode. For the DLC characters that haven’t been released at the time the story comes out, those characters shouldn’t be considered final or tournament ready, as they still need to be properly polished and balanced. So, think of this as a free preview of the characters and enjoy playing with them before they get officially released in the other competitive game modes.

samred

I can't post new topics at the GAF, but if I could, I would title it: "Polygon basically says SFV story mode is going to suck ass"

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/9/118...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The reason I was hopeful for SF5's story mode was because of how I grew up playing Street Fighter. Playing against the CPU, as one character, from start to finish, was a great opportunity to get a basic feel for a character, to feel powerful without playing against a moving goalpost of evolving human capability. It was a fun way to put time into the game that didn't involve other people.

Street Fighter 5 failed in this regard at launch pretty fundamentally. Characters had three to four fights each in the shipping prologue, which is miserly, but more strangely, each match was just one round long. It was a trifle, more of a tease than a meaningful play experience. It demonstrated a completely different priority for "story mode" than what I, and, judging from some online response, many others were looking for in a single-player mode, seeking instead to build an extremely complicated, interlocking fiction for Street Fighter.

As in the prologue, fights here are a single round, which, at normal difficulty, could be over in seconds. Literal seconds. The story bookends to these fights can last minutes. For all but the most beginner Street Fighter players, you're going to spend 10-20 times more time watching Street Fighter 5's story mode than you will playing it.

When I was playing it, I often found myself confused about who I was supposed to be playing as — the point of view in each cutscene before the fight proved to be little indication of who the fight would belong to. I often wasn't sure what side of the ring I was on until after I got kicked in the face.

I hate namby-pamby kid-glove previews like this. Just say it's going to suck. Call Capcom out. SFV has been such a wreck in terms of managing fan expectations, and that's what "game journalists" can actually go to the trouble of calling out. Sigh.

jett

D-Member
LOL they gave up on having an online store in their game. There's no longer zenny currency, all purchases will be made through PSN and Steam. That's just kinda sad, although better for us.

Nice that the story mode seems to be lengthy enough and that we can play as all DLC characters!

edit: apparently story mode is garbage, huh. Again with the one-round fights. The fuck is wrong with you Capcom.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That key art is fuglyyyy.

Capcom saying "fuck it." Can't get the cash shop up so switching to PSN/Steam money. Update in "late June" (so end of June) and...

Daily Challenges are currently being re-tooled and optimized for the game, and we will share the new timing of this feature as soon as we more details. The feature will now be called “Targets,” and they will still be daily goals for players to complete and generate Fight Money, which can be used to purchase in-game content like new characters and costumes. New single player modes including Extra Battle and Versus CPU are also in the works. We’ll share more details on these modes and features as soon as we can.

That’s all for now, but stay tuned as we’ll take a closer look at the many June update features in the days and weeks ahead.

lol

Also LOL Cinematic Story Mode looks just like the shitty story mode already in the game. Single round fights over in seconds.

FluxWaveZ

I can't post new topics at the GAF, but if I could, I would title it: "Polygon basically says SFV story mode is going to suck ass"

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/9/118...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I hate namby-pamby kid-glove previews like this. Just say it's going to suck. Call Capcom out. SFV has been such a wreck in terms of managing fan expectations, and that's what "game journalists" can actually go to the trouble of calling out. Sigh.

The complaints don't resonate with me AT ALL. I don't give a shit about playing multiple vs. CPU matches in Story Mode. Hell, I enjoyed Guilty Gear Xrd's -SIGN-'s story, which had literally zero fights.

FSLink

Banned
In-Game Currency System Changes

We have an important announcement regarding the in-game currency system. We will no longer be introducing Zenny to Street Fighter V as a real money currency option. After extensive testing and development, we came to the conclusion that it was not necessary in order to carry out our original vision for the product. Instead, we will be utilizing the PlayStation Store and Steam stores to carry out real money transactions.

Our plan for the in-game economy of SFV was always to provide players with choice. Fight Money remains as the basic currency that players can earn for FREE through gameplay and utilize to purchase characters and other awesome downloadable content like stages and costumes. For players who want to just purchase the content outright, instead of introducing Zenny, the process will be much more familiar with purchases happening through the established first party infrastructures.

The in-game store will be upgraded with the PlayStation Store and Steam real money purchase options as part of the update in late June. At the same time, the free trial period for Alex and Guile will come to an end as we previously had stated. Players will need to either obtain the characters through Fight Money, real money, or the season pass to continue using them after the update. We hope that everyone has enjoyed throwing down with these fearsome fighters and feels inclined to pick them up after testing them out during the free trial period!

We know fans have also been wondering about how content will be priced, so we created this handy chart which breaks down the content in Fight Money and real money pricing:

Looks like they gave up on the Zenny store.

Alucrid

Banned

lol arthur gies

"i grew up playing arcade mode which is why i'm disappointed in story mode"

Hutchie

I hope difficultly level is set to baby. If we gonna have a story id like one i can focus on rather than learn commands and combos for characters i dont play

samred

The complaints don't resonate with me AT ALL. I don't give a shit about playing multiple vs. CPU matches in Story Mode. Hell, I enjoyed Guilty Gear Xrd's -SIGN-'s story, which had literally zero fights.

Absolutely. If you want a purely multiplayer fighting game, that's great, I hear you. Capcom should've just SAID that from the get-go. They didn't, and now they're doing this weird dance about such content.

I'm positive I'm going to be disappointed in story mode, but it's going to be super cool to play as previews of the new characters. I'm liking the daily challenges and other ways to get fight money too! For that trophy of course :p

I also respect their confession that they can't figure the Zenny system out.

Glix

If the only issue with the story mode is the length/difficulty of the fights....

They could still change that.

Piccoro

The June update will be awesome! Can't wait! :D

I still can't believe that I'll get to try my boy Urien this soon. Still in shock!

If the only issue with the story mode is the length/difficulty of the fights....

They could still change that.
Sounds like there's already an additional difficulty mode, and it gives you more FM too.

Ohh... Didn't see Urien's clothes. Only disappointing part.

Sounds like a big content dump before Capcom washes their hands of the whole thing.

Don't care about easy story mode fights, long as difficulty can be bumped up in extra battle and vs CPU.

Top Bottom