• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V story mode key art, screenshots

Shadoken

It says that the vast, vast minority who do come out and compete is growing... but is that due to SFV or is that due to other outside factors such as advancements in streaming, more tournaments that grew during the SF4 era. More exposure. More fighters. So on. Super Smash Bros. has more entrants than ever too and it sold 3-4x as much as SFV has but is still less?

So, it's hard to say. SFV's may has sparked the minority because they like it more than SF4, but I think the many years of tourneys, advancements of streaming, acceptable of esports and more play much more of a factor than SFV itself.

Its not even about competing. If everyone who bought SFIV,SFV started becoming interested in eSports or just watching big tourneys. Thats a huge accomplishment in itself.

You dont have to be an actual tourney vet or anything. Tons of League,CS and Dota viewers are complete scrubs. The point is to get those people interested in the game's eSports scene.

MrCarter

How does 4000 entrants transform into money for Capcom? It doesn't. It's popular within a small niche. This CPT initiative is useful for Capcom as long as it drives sales for their games. If it doesn't, then it's no good for them, and right now SFV is the only game they got going on. If SFV doesn't sell at retail, then the CPT serves no purpose, unless I'm missing something.

You stated that CPT wouldn't continue if the game wasn't popular "to go with it" but based on the facts we can very much gather that the game is indeed very popular within the FGC and it will continue to be in CPT in the foreseeable future. The more popular a game is i.e more entrants at EVO, the more promotion the game will have which will hopefully lead into more sales. The sales thus far have been good, not a failure by any means, but good and all they need to do now is keep up the momentum.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Its not even about competing. If everyone who bought SFIV,SFV started becoming interested in eSports or just watching big tourneys. Thats a huge accomplishment in itself.

You dont have to be an actual tourney vet or anything. Tons of League,CS and Dota viewers are complete scrubs. The point is to get those people interested in the game's eSports scene.

The point is probably more to sell and advertise the game. =)

The sales thus far have been good, not a failure by any means, but good and all they need to do now is keep up the momentum.

The sales failed to meet expectations. While not a bomb, that is a failure in any company and any business. We should be thankful is did enough for them to continue funding it. If the game continues to not meet any internal expectations or goals, you can bet it'll get chopped. Hopefully, it doesn't.

So possible new characters going from the models is Rashid's mentor dude, and the black army guy. What do you guys think? The army guy seem like he'd be pretty boring.

MrCarter

It says that the vast, vast minority who do come out and compete is growing... but is that due to SFV or is that due to other outside factors such as advancements in streaming, more tournaments that grew during the SF4 era. More exposure. More fighters. So on. Super Smash Bros. has more entrants than ever too and it sold 3-4x as much as SFV has but is still less?

So, it's hard to say. SFV's may has sparked the minority because they like it more than SF4, but I think the many years of tourneys, advancements of streaming, acceptable of esports and more play much more of a factor than SFV itself.

True. You are right in saying that technology has advanced but I also think SFV has reinvigorated the FGC with a new game that focuses on a more balanced and honest meta-game with mechanics that are more accessible to newer players. It's the "casual" crowd they couldn't please with some content but then again I still think sales would have been roughly the same with all that content to begin with. As they move forward they seem to be trying to rectify this so I hope the game continues to grow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
True. You are right in saying that technology has advanced but I also think SFV has reinvigorated the FGC with a new game that focuses on a more balanced and honest meta-game with mechanics that are more accessible to newer players. It's the "casual" crowd they couldn't please with some content but then again I still think sales would have been roughly the same with all that content to begin with. As they move forward they seem to be trying to rectify this so I hope the game continues to grow.

Lets hope so!

Shadoken

So possible new characters going from the models is Rashid's mentor dude, and the black army guy. What do you guys think?

Army dude is Guiles boss. And he is a background NPC character in Guile's stage so i dont think there is big hope for him. Azam seems likely.

jett

D-Member
You stated that CPT wouldn't continue if the game wasn't popular "to go with it" but based on the facts we can very much gather that the game is indeed very popular within the FGC and it will continue to be in CPT in the foreseeable future. The more popular a game is i.e more entrants at EVO, the more promotion the game will have which will hopefully lead into more sales. The sales thus far have been good, not a failure by any means, but good and all they need to do now is keep up the momentum.

I don't mean popular within the FGC niche, I mean popular with mainstream gamers, at retail. Tournies will carry on forever with or without the CPT branding, that's not what I'm talking about. And I wouldn't consider sales good when they fell way short of Capcom's 2 million goal for the first month. I'm pretty sure the game is not doing good at all.

Neoxon

So possible new characters going from the models is Rashid's mentor dude, and the black army guy. What do you guys think? The army guy seem like he'd be pretty boring.
Rashid's butler is Azam, & I do think that both he & Sean will eventually be playable.

MrCarter

I don't mean popular within the FGC niche, I mean popular with mainstream gamers, at retail. Tournies will carry on forever with or without the CPT branding, that's not what I'm talking about. And I wouldn't consider sales good when they fell way short of Capcom's 2 million goal for the first month. I'm pretty sure the game is not doing good at all.

CPT IS the main tournament scene for SFV though and "Capcom Pro Tour" is simply the name given to it. Yes, the game did fall short of Capcom's (over exaggerated) predicted sales but that does not mean it was a bomb, shipping 1.4 million is solid in this day and age and it will hopefully continue to grow. The game will be fine.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That artwork is sick! Urien looks like such a crazy mofo.

Looks like he's got a Shen Woo from KOF thing going with that open shirt. Digging it.

But I also really hope we get the thong as a story mode costume or something. Capcom plz.

Neoxon

I'm getting some Suicide Squad Joker vibes from Urien's default.

PiwH7f6.jpg

Top Bottom