• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost footage from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly found

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This is absolutely fascinating:

In 2014 a private collector purchased and shipped an original 35mm print from Italy in order to examine the colour as a means of using it as a reference to personally colour correct the new MGM 4k master and create a "fan version" of the film. A few of us partnered up to work on this project, bringing together both financial resources and individual skills. Scanning a 35mm print at 4k is a costly venture, with many technical hurdles. Doing the due diligence and research is also a time consuming process, which has taken the better part of 2 years.

Once the print was scanned, it was discovered to be a one of a kind treasure, with new footage and differences not present in ANY home video release (worldwide).

Multiple sources were checked against the print, 8mm films released in the 70's, multiple vhs and pal copies from around the world dating all the way back to the early 80's. The new footage from this particular print simply doesn't exist anywhere else, even on other vintage 35mm Italian prints (more on that below).

The differences discovered so far on a preliminary examination are as follows:

1. Extra footage (3 new closeup shots) in the early scene where Angel Eyes visits the farmer
2. A fragment of a scripted deleted scene at the end of a reel
3. The complete beating scene (including portions that were damaged on the print MGM used as their reference and included as a bonus feature on DVD and BLU)
4. Various music cue and sound effect differences.
5. Longer character titles in the final scene.

You can read more, and watch some of the footage, from the below links:

Part One

Part Two

This makes me hopeful that someday, more lost footage will resurface, including the rest of the above deleted scene and the complete Socorro sequence (in which Tuco searches for Blondie in a small Mexican border village. A partial/reconstructed version of this scene is on the DVD/Blu-ray as an extra).

Awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the inclusions they made to the mid 2000's re-release, but it's always cool when they can piece together more of the films history.

Simo

Very cool stuff!

Ya know, some ragged on that last 4K remaster release but I bought it recently off Amazon and honestly I really liked it a lot. That said I still don't like the chicken scene. lol

Grenchel

I'm always amazed when something like this turns up. I hope more of film history can be reclaimed in the future. It's crazy how much is lost.

I had no idea that this movie was still missing footage. Geez Leone's films were just BUTCHERED.

Yeah. It's a shame. Wonder if anyone is ever going to piece together a complete version of Giu La Testa (or "Duck, You Sucker!" as was the original English title). I think that movie wouldn't be considered his least if it hadn't been chopped up so much.

Simo

Did you guys know about the A Fistful of Dollars stuff that went down with the US TV version? I actually watched the blu-ray last weekend and the feature about this was fascinating and I had no idea about it.

Basically when A Fistful of Dollars was going to be first aired on American TV in the 1970s, the TV censors and broadcasting station felt the film was "too much" because Eastwood's character killed without remorse and basically got away with everything at the end of the film. So how do they fix this, how can they give Eastwood's character a moral and justified reason for what he does in that film?

Well the network goes ahead and films it's own opening of the movie with Harry Dean Stanton and a stand in for Eastwood, dressed the same but you never see his face, where the American Army drafts Eastwood as a soldier of fortune and sends him on a mission to disrupt and stop the weapons and mule trafficking by ending the 2 gangs in that small town featured in the film. lol It's hilarious and not surprisingly after it aired once it was never aired or seen again until the blu-ray release.

Yeah. It's a shame. Wonder if anyone is ever going to piece together a complete version of Giu La Testa (or "Duck, You Sucker!" as was the original English title). I think that movie wouldn't be considered his least if it hadn't been chopped up so much.
There's nothing least about that movie, though. I don't get why people think that. If anything it showed Leone's style evolving into something really interesting.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys know about the A Fistful of Dollars stuff that went down with the US TV version? I actually watched the blu-ray last weekend and the feature about this was fascinating and I had no idea about it.

Basically when A Fistful of Dollars was going to be first aired on American TV in the 1970s, the TV censors and broadcasting station felt the film was "too much" because Eastwood's character killed without remorse and basically got away with everything at the end of the film. So how do they fix this, how can they give Eastwood's character a moral and justified reason for what he does in that film?

Well the network goes ahead and films it's own opening of the movie with Harry Dean Stanton and a stand in for Eastwood, dressed the same but you never see his face, where the American Army drafts Eastwood as a soldier of fortune and sends him on a mission to disrupt and stop the weapons and mule trafficking by ending the 2 gangs in that small town featured in the film. lol It's hilarious and not surprisingly after it aired once it was never aired or seen again until the blu-ray release.
Yes! Watching the featurette discussing the creation of that was great, as was the story of how they're lucky that a copy even existed for them to get it on the DVD as an extra.

There's nothing least about that movie, though. I don't get why people think that. If anything it showed Leone's style evolving into something really interesting.
No lie, DYS is my second favorite Leone movie behind TGTBATU.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn that's really cool. Always love when old lost movies are found or new footage from the classics is dug up.

Might have to break this out again and give it a watch, already went through Once UPon a Time in the West last week.

Blader

Awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the inclusions they made to the mid 2000's re-release, but it's always cool when they can piece together more of the films history.

I probably wouldn't have minded the new footage they put back in if it weren't for the bad dubbing on Eastwood and Van Cleef's new scenes (Wallach's is a little better, since it's actually his voice, but he's almost 50 years older and he sounds like it).

I'm always amazed when something like this turns up. I hope more of film history can be reclaimed in the future. It's crazy how much is lost.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is my favorite 'lost film footage resurfacing' story:

The original version was lost for decades after a fire destroyed the master negative and only variations of Dreyer's second version were available. In 1981, an employee of the Dikemark Hospital mental institution in Oslo found several film canisters in a janitor's closet that were labeled as being The Passion of Joan of Arc.[1] The canisters were sent to the Norwegian Film Institute where they were first stored for three years until finally being examined. It was then discovered that they were Dreyer's original cut prior to government or church censorship. There were never any records of the film being shipped to Oslo, but film historians believe that the then director of the institution may have requested a special copy since he was also a published historian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_Joan_of_Arc#Rediscovery_of_original_version

The Beard

One of my top 10 GOATs. The Blu-Ray already looks amazing, but I would double dip for some extra scenes and a 4K transfer.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I probably wouldn't have minded the new footage they put back in if it weren't for the bad dubbing on Eastwood and Van Cleef's new scenes (Wallach's is a little better, since it's actually his voice, but he's almost 50 years older and he sounds like it).
AFAIK Eastwood also participated. Only Val Cleef was replaced due to his passing.

Simo

One of my top 10 GOATs. The Blu-Ray already looks amazing, but I would double dip for some extra scenes and a 4K transfer.

The 2014 re-release is that but some fans think they went a little too far with the greens and yellows for the color timing. Personally though I really liked it, it's the best video and color quality I've ever seen of the film.

The Beard

The 2014 re-release is that but some fans think they went a little too far with the greens and yellows for the color timing. Personally though I really liked it, it's the best video and color quality I've ever seen of the film.

I didn't realize it was already re-released. I'll wait for the new one with the lost footage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom