• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit Seems Very White and That's Kind of Deal Breaker for Me

This is a story about civil rights that takes place in...Detroit . Two thirds of the playable characters are white. I guess you could make the argument that they aren't white "humans" but rather white androids so their race doesn't matter but that argument is pretty thin.

This seems like a case of appropriating the story of the civil rights movement without actually having to deal with the realities of race in america. (i.e. the mutants in X-Men)

I say all of this knowing that there's still one more character that has yet to be revealed and there's so much story we don't know.

However it's hard for me to trust David Cage to handle a story about civil rights after he did this....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just assumed it was an alternate universe version of Detroit considering there weren't burned out buildings and dumpster fires everywhere.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Agreed on the first character - no excuse for that, period.

With that said...we've only seen a few minutes of the Detroit game. I'm willing to give QD the benefit of the doubt, and think you should consider it too. I'll wait to see more of the full game before passing judgment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll wait till I can see who the third character is going to be. We already have two androids so I'm suspecting a human but who knows who or what.

I thought I was in off-topic and was going to say Detroit is set to only become whiter as more hipsters continue to take it over. Then I read the OP and realized this is gaming. But yeah, expect nothing and get even less when it comes to Cage.

Balb

I just assumed it was an alternate universe version of Detroit considering there weren't burned out buildings and dumpster fires everywhere.

Game (and movie) makers seem to love alternate/fantasy worlds that conveniently don't seem to have many non-White characters in them. I think the concerns are legitimate given the history of some of Cage's games, though we have to learn more obviously.

Nibel

I mean yeah, that Heavy Rain (?) character was bad, but so far we haven't seen much of Detroit. We only know two main characters (Connor, Cara) and that's about it.

I wouldn't judge the game based on that small amount footage available

Killyoh

Didn't play to Fahrenheit, what's the deal with this character?

EDIT: Oh it's from Heavy Rain, didn't play either.

DrArchon

That last character better be a character of color, because having 3 white characters in a story that basically about slavery in a city as diverse as Detroit would be incredibly tasteless.

Still, like others have said it is too soon to tell so Cage and Co. could end up revealing some much need diversity within the playable cast before the game is released.

I am trying to think about non-white characters in Heavy Rain - it was pretty much just the killer mechanic, wasn't it?

There was Paco Mendez if that counts. The criminal sleazeball club owner.
latest

Ridley327

Is he writing Detroit?

This is allegedly the first project he's done where he's not writing solo and is instead acting as a showrunner of sorts. I believe the writers helping out are external to QD, too, so that should offer up some much needed objectivity.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Thinking on it, yes I can agree. Though I'll wait until I see more of the game before I go in on it. I hope this doesn't end up being a "X-Men: First Class" situation where the people behind the production miss the point entirely.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I will say Cage had several Native American characters in Beyond though the are involved with your typical spirits and magic stuff often associated with them but I guess the whole game was about that kind of stuff. Still I didn't think they were too stereotypical in their personalities or depictions.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Characters in games shouldn't be black for the sake of being black and developers shouldn't have to make a character black to satisfy people that aren't involved in the creative process, haven't contributed to the games overall vision or to meet some arbitrary quota of lead minorities. I say that as a black man. I know not everyone shares the same opinion as me but that shit is tired.

And the X-Men were meant to analogs that were relatable to readers of any race, them featuring a smaller number of minority characters shouldn't change that... And a large number of their roster are of various ethnicities, sexual inclination or don't even appear to be human. You could probably apply your argument to the movies more easily but still, there are a number of characters in those films that aren't white.

Agreed on the first character - no excuse for that, period.

With that said...we've only seen a few minutes of the Detroit game. I'm willing to give QD the benefit of the doubt, and think you should consider it too. I'll wait to see more of the full game before passing judgment.

It's true that we've only seen a few minutes of the game, and so I think keeping an open mind is warranted before making any sort of informed judgment on the end product.

But I question the tone-deafness required to be making a game called "Detroit" and focusing on civil rights, with the characters looking lily white. That's certainly an eyebrow raising moment.

Blablurn

This is a story about civil rights that takes place in...Detroit . Two thirds of the playable characters are white. I guess you could make the argument that they aren't white "humans" but rather white androids so their race doesn't matter but that argument is pretty thin.

This seems like a case of appropriating the story of the civil rights movement without actually having to deal with the realities of race in america. (i.e. the mutants in X-Men)

I say all of this knowing that there's still one more character that has yet to be revealed and there's so much story we don't know.

However it's hard for me to trust David Cage to handle a story about civil rights after he did this....

Oh shit. Forgot about this :/

Let's hope Detroid will be better in that regard.

LiK

Didn't the first trailer show characters with color? Probably just need to wait and see for another trailer or release.

...and he also had Cole in Beyond: Two Souls.

On2N51B.jpg

Pretty much the opposite of the black character in Heavy Rain. Not to mention the only likable and good person in that game.

I advice to wait before judging.

We've seen two trailers for the game. Way too soon to judge.

Trailers are marketing tools for a game. Keeping brown protagonists, if they exist, from potential buyers would be the stupidest marketing tool.

Also Cage seems to only put white people in the forefront.

Anyway, I agree. Although I may have to play it to see how it works, but I'll probably get it for free.

Murdamonk

As an Asian, i am kind of uses to it.

If the game is not asian-oriented (Sleeping Dogs, Yakuza, Shenmue), you will never see an asian in it or be a part of the main cast.

Mirror Edge is probably the only game that is out of the norm

I think that if Androids became so easily available they would mostly be made white for sale in the US. There's too much racism in the history of the US and I'm pretty positive that no company would make a black Android for sale given the history of African slavery in the US.

jennetics

How many trailers have been shown for the game?

Edit: Also, if Detroit had black androids, we'd have people going on about how racist QD is for having black android servants. Lose-lose for QD it seems.

Edit 2: beaten.

theWB27

Characters in games shouldn't be black for the sake of being black and developers shouldn't have to make a character black to satisfy people that aren't involved in the creative process, haven't contributed to the games overall vision or to meet some arbitrary quota of lead minorities. I say that as a black man. I know not everyone shares the same opinion as me but that shit is tired.

And the X-Men were meant to analogs that were relatable to readers of any race, them featuring a smaller number of minority characters shouldn't change that... And a large number of their roster are of various ethnicities, sexual inclination or don't even appear to be human. You could probably apply your argument to the movies more easily but still, there are a number of characters in those films that aren't white.

They're white for the sake of being white. Why can't they be black for the sake of being black? I mean...creating white characters for a game is as much a choice as making any other race.

This question is from one black man to another.

We know all playable characters will be androids and so far we have only seen "white" androids, so unless they have made dark colored androids in the lore in some way, we won't be playing as one.

That being said David Cage games are usually pretty good when it comes to characterization (Fahrenheit and Beyond: Two Souls especially), so lets wait a while before we pull out any pitchforks.

It seems to me that it is very plausible that the large majority of the android will the white: what would you think the white elite would like to have as policemen, babysitter, etc. given the possibility of choise? what would they find more reassuring?

sheamus

let's be honest. The gaming press site is going to write an article about this no matter what. Would you rather have no black people in it or have the black people be the slave race in the game.

Top Bottom