• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit Seems Very White and That's Kind of Deal Breaker for Me

...but dude, it's not present day - obviously something happened to the demographics...but at the same time, are you basing this off that trailer that doesn't focus on anyone else but the two droids and little girl...k!

Why is that obvious? How is it obvious that there's a legitimately story reason for it? Isn't it more likely that a statistically evident problem of overrepresentation of white people in video game media is the problem?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is that obvious? How is it obvious that there's a legitimately story reason for it? Isn't it more likely that a statistically evident problem of overrepresentation of white people in video game media is the problem?
I actually think this e3 has shown some steps forward in this department, though. There were quite a few big games with non-white leads, for instance.

Poor WraithBringer didn't stand a chance in this thread. Got banned and dogpiled for going against the narrative and using the term "reverse racism." But if he just said "racism" to describe racism against white people he would've been greeted with smarmy "Actually, you can't be racist against white people because racism requires power + prejudice" B.S. the gender studies degree crowd normally spouts after long day of making coffee for people.

I used to happily play any game that I thought looked fun, but thanks to the hatemob looking to condemn every game as racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic before they even come out I'm going to just assume any game where the protagonist or a disproportionate amount characters is female or non-white is the result of pandering to the SJW hate mob and not give them a dime.

I'm so excited to to vote straight ticket Republican this this fall, I've been a lifelong Democrat voter but the safe spaces and trigger warnings crew have surpassed the jesus freaks as the most hateful and annoying crowd in America. The behavior of the Democrat voter base on websites like GAF are directly responsible. Come on people, it's 2016! Bigots like Democrats have no place in government. Wow. I can't even...

I...what...this meltdown is great.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Because it results in the addition of token characters just to satisfy some diversity requirement. So what if there are few playable black people?

Again with this idea that white people somehow naturally appear in video games as if they grow from video game white people trees, while putting minority characters in is some big extra effort to "satisfy a diversity requirement".

All video game characters are made from scratch. You don't get white people for free, and then have to make a decision to put minorities in. You make decisions, every time you create a character, about whether you're going to make them male or female, young or old, white or black, etc.

If there are white people in a game, it's because at some point a creator decided, "this character should be white." If there are black people in a game, it's because at some point a creator decided, "this character should be black." This idea that white characters just show up on "naturally" and minority characters are some token things you have to go out of your way to include is stupid.

It's idiotic, and there's no way around that.

When people ask for diversity in games, they aren't saying "take this thing you never have to think about and make decisions about it." They're saying, "you make this decision every time you create a character. Maybe don't make the decision to make a white character every single time."

Lime

They're saying, "you make this decision every time you create a character. Maybe don't make the decision to make a white character every single time."

I wish this was engraved upon the entrance to every single game developer studio in the world

Quantic Dream and Sony Bend could have benefited a lot from just getting that memo. It's such a simple thing, yet almost nothing gets changed.

I'd be impressed if it's all white like this and you start playing and it's due to gentrification going apeshit in Detroit and one of the plotlines is about black people being seen as less human than the androids but ha ha ha, who am I kidding, they just forgot dark-skinned people existed.

Oh shit, they had black extras in crowd shots from a teaser trailer months ago.

Pack it up guys, we got black representation here, never mind. This game is A okay, seal of Black Approval. My B.

EvB

Yeah but have you ever been to Paris? It's diverse as hell with tons of non-white Parisians. But not sure about the diversity in the studio itself.

I've been several times and what strikes me every time is how segregated it is.

Not a single person in this thread has really explained what's the deal with this character. Not even the OP bothered with it, even after being asked multiple times, instead the OP just wrote "after he did this" and posted a picture.

Did what? Don't assume everyone knows what you are thinking or talking about.

Sorry, for the bump.

Reading through the thread again and realized I never answered your question.

The picture is a link to this thread.

Top Bottom