• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Pikmin 4 still on-going, hard to fit on the list of priorities

“Yes, you are right, and we’re working on [Pikmin 4]. So, you know, when we’re in development we have to create a list of priorities and it has been hard to kind of fit that into that list, but we’re hopefully starting to see that on the list now.”

http://gamerant.com/pikmin-4-update-miyamoto/

I imagine that they're just putting most of their work on Zelda at the moment (both are under EPD Kyoto I believe, but might be different teams, just guessing). Maybe it'll be a late 2017 NX game and not a launch title?

antonz

Probably been a work on it as we have time and resources title. NX is around the corner so I imagine they are in full crunch mode as far as making sure launch window titles are done and ready

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Miyamoto putting pikmin on the back burner for federation force 2 episode 1 in development and scheduled for 2018

I wonder if he's saying that finding a release window for it is tricky. Having it at day 1 seems risky considering the massive excitement for Zelda.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wtf get it ready for launch you bastard. Don't you have separate teams working on different games? Pikmin should have your best team on it.

And if 'prioriites' means you can't give it the attention it needs - assign someone else to it.

'Starting to see that on the list' isn't an encouraging phrase.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So it's already in development but not yet on the list of priorities to develope?

I feel like somethings lost in translation here.

I'd almost prefer it if Pikmin 4 were an Android and IOS game. Touch controls is absolutely the way to go for this franchise.
Doubtful that will happen, and I really hope that this isn't the case. Pikmin controls great as is; why does it need cramped touch controls on a phone screen?

ASIS

No no no! If this means we'll get the game in 2022 I'll flip! I won't wait another 9 years for a new Pikmin game c'mon Miyamoto!

Doubtful that will happen, and I really hope that this isn't the case. Pikmin controls great as is; why does it need cramped touch controls on a phone screen?

I used to have a 50 inch TV that I gamed on before I began gaming pretty much exclusively on my computer monitor, but I chose to play through the entirety of Pikmin 3 on the Gamepad instead. That's because touch controls are such a staggering improvement to usability and efficiency that I couldn't imagine myself enjoying the game nearly as much with any other control scheme - despite that I had the option of playing the game on a 50 inch screen with a Gamepad map.

I'd love to play Pikmin on a five inch screen, with pinch to zoom. I wouldn't even care. Goddamn I love Pikmin, just give it to me IDC where it is

Roo

So it's already in development but not yet on the list of priorities to develope?

I feel like somethings lost in translation here.

Seems like even though the game is in development, they're in no hurry to finish it probably in order to work on other (more important) games.

Watch them pull another Pikmin 3 release situation lol

I think they're going to do the same thing they did with Pikmin 3 and release it on NX several months after launch when people have grown tired of the launch library and are hungry for new games.

I think it would be overshadowed at launch by Zelda and other launch titles, but it will shine when released without other games competing for attention.

kadotsu

Banned
Maybe this one will be all voice controlled to make it as enjoyable as the dual screen implementation in SFZ.

Memory

How well did Pikmin 3 sell?

I believe it was just under a million units at last count, might be higher by now. I imagine the DLC and shorts also sold decently.

It started as a Wii game and its not exactley a AAA title so I imagine devs costs are not too high.

Waited nearly 10 years between the last two with most of them not knowing if there was going to be a sequel, so as long as I know its out there and coming that's good enough for me.

RomanceDawn

Pikmin 3 looks very beautiful in certain spots but I remember being slightly disappointed with the visuals during its reveal.

This Pikmin I assume has been under development with Wii U hardware so I hope during its transition to the NX we see a very noticeable gap in the visuals. That's one of the few Nintendo franchises I feel like darn near photo realism would work best. At least with the environments and creatures.

I love feeling like I'm a tiny creature rummaging through someone's back yard.

Be honest has anyone ever played Pikmin and not felt like you were playing a super tiny character in a Honey I Shrunk The Kids type of way? I've heard people tell me because of the relative size of all the animals and insects in comparison to the main characters the illusion of being small is lost. I say they are dummies for even suggesting that.

klier

Well... that settles it then. I was fully expecting this for NX launch, but now I am thinking not even in 2017. What a shame.

Pikmin 4 should be very easy to fit on a list of priorities. It's "highest". See? Very simple.

Pikmin 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, so I'm looking forward to Pikmin 4 more than any other Nintendo game, including Zelda.

Why the hell do they do this with Pikmin and none of their other projects? We knew about Pikmin 3 hella early, and this game even earlier. What makes it different?

Why the hell do they do this with Pikmin and none of their other projects? We knew about Pikmin 3 hella early, and this game even earlier. What makes it different?

Nah, Pikmin 4 was only spoken of last year by Miyamoto I think. If it's out next year on NX, that's only 2 years.

Pikmin 3 was name dropped way back in 2008 and out on Wii U in 2013, that's 5 years! :p

Sendou

Even ignoring that it was probably retooled for NX it is also the kind of project that easily gets put into the back burner when they need more workforce to finish bigger names in time.

I used to have a 50 inch TV that I gamed on before I began gaming pretty much exclusively on my computer monitor, but I chose to play through the entirety of Pikmin 3 on the Gamepad instead. That's because touch controls are such a staggering improvement to usability and efficiency that I couldn't imagine myself enjoying the game nearly as much with any other control scheme - despite that I had the option of playing the game on a 50 inch screen with a Gamepad map.

I'd love to play Pikmin on a five inch screen, with pinch to zoom. I wouldn't even care. Goddamn I love Pikmin, just give it to me IDC where it is

While that might be your preferred way to play it the fan-base would probably say Wii mote and nun chuck.

AzaK

Anyone know how much 3 sold? I would've thought this would be really low on the list of titles to make.

If they're converting it to NX, I hope there won't be a Wii U version.
I understand that Nintendo doesn't want to piss off current Wii U owners, but they need some exclusive games on NX to sell some units.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
and here you see all the huge benefit we're getting from their unified developer building and structure!
so much for "nx better software output", I'd say.

Well I recently found a Miyamoto interview from before Pikmin 2 was released in which he talked about already having the idea for Pikmin 3. Ten years before that game released.

That said, can't wait for Pikmin 4. It'll be absolutely awesome!

RomanceDawn

I feel like Miyamoto will always make a Pikmin no matter the sales!

What was that game that copied Pikmin's mechanics down to the T? (Is that the right expression?) it was realistic and sorcerer would summon goblins and stuff and it was essentially Pikmin but dark and realistic.

Did that game sell well?

scamander

Banned
and here you see all the huge benefit we're getting from their unified developer building and structure!
so much for "nx better software output", I'd say.

We don't know anything about their NX software output yet and there isn't any info in this statement either. Stop stating unfounded speculation as fact.

Weng

I feel like Miyamoto will always make a Pikmin no matter the sales!

What was that game that copied Pikmin's mechanics down to the T? (Is that the right expression?) it was realistic and sorcerer would summon goblins and stuff and it was essentially Pikmin but dark and realistic.

Did that game sell well?

Overlord?

Top Bottom